What if i have a puncture

This is where you can find out about valeting and detailing--washing, cleaning, polishing, waxing and other car care issues.
ROBBELL

Z3 roadster 2.0

What if i have a puncture

Post by ROBBELL »

have been thinking for a while where do you put the wheel if you have a puncture it won't go back into the space where the - get you home wheel goes - and i dont think it will go in the boot has anyone experienced this and what did you do ?

Robin
SilverZ3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by SilverZ3 »

had this experience, lucky leaving the girlfriends so no passenger, the wheel has to go in the passenger seat :shock:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

On the passenger seat.
I use Ultraseal so dont have that problem.

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

SilverZ3 wrote:had this experience, lucky leaving the girlfriends so no passenger, the wheel has to go in the passenger seat :shock:
Been there too. Must go in passenger seat.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Tartaruga

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Tartaruga »

Me too...........got caught in a torrential downpour with nowhere to put the wheel. I wasn't happy! There was no way I was going to put the filthy wheel on the passenger seat but luckily I was close to home, so I phoned a mate who came in his 4x4 and took the wheel home for me. I've now bought one of those aerosol cans that repair the puncture temporarily and reinflate the tyre....hopefully that would be enough to get me to a tyre place to have it repaired. If not it's the RAC!
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

You should have a white bag to put the flat tyre in.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

estocks wrote:You should have a white bag to put the flat tyre in.
I was just going to say "that's what the bags for!".

I haven't experienced the joys of this yet! I assumed the bag was actually to keep the boot clean, NOT the passenger seat! What prevents the flat tyre from going in the boot? Is it height or depth? Or junk?

It amazes me how much you can get in the passenger seat with the roof down. I've transported a loft ladder and an air conditioner that way. Obviously there is more room if you leave the wife behind... :twisted:
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by SuzyZ3 »

A dizzy mare question......... from a very intelligent young lady.. :roll:

'IF' I had a spare wheel... where would it be? I don't even know if I have one??

I did look under the cover thing in the boot where the tools are, but couldn't see it, so gave up looking.. so I carry a canister of Tyreweld in the car just in case I get a puncture...

??? :oops:
St_G

blank.gif

Post by St_G »

Check under the car. I believe the Z3's spare hangs there.
SuzyZ3 wrote:
'IF' I had a spare wheel... where would it be? I don't even know if I have one??
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

St_G wrote:Check under the car. I believe the Z3's spare hangs there.
AFAIK on all the Z3's bar the ///M, there is a space saver spare in a plastic tray under the rear of the car. You lower it down from inside the boot via a handle in the center and a nut on the right (under the carpet). There is an extension on the valve to allow you to check the pressure of the spare without having to remove it.

Even if you have the space saver spare, there is also the problem of the weight of wheel and tyre. Whilst I could easily change the wheel, I know I'd be risking major damage to my back if I tried to lift the flat into the car, as I have a bad back (seriously bad, not just a few aches and pains!). Anyone who is lightly built would probably also struggle. So my vote is for phoning the AA... :wink:
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
ROBBELL

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ROBBELL »

well thanks for all your responses I think the best thing is to buy some tyre inflator stuff, anyone ever used it ?do you just put it in the tyre and then take it to the garage to repair it later

Robin
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by SuzyZ3 »

Yes... Tyreweld.. fills the tyre with 'gunge' that when it comes into contact with air.. I.E. finds the hole, the gunge then turns solid, and blocks it. Will get you home/to a garage for it to be repaired
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

I was just thinking about this 'wheel won't go in the boot' problem last night. It's incomprehensible that BMW designed a spare wheel system that is basically unworkable if you have a passenger.....
bighernan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bighernan »

Tyreweld is on promotion at Halfrauds £4 off - standard six quid and the large £7.99. Must remember to pick some up at the weekend.

Good thread this, never considered the wheel wouldn't fit in the boot!
doclip

M roadster S54

Post by doclip »

i thought when use tyre weld that it makes the tyre a write off and cant be repaired -so is this ture or not
actually i wasnt aware my car had a space saver -must go and investigate now
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

You don't have a space saver on the ///M
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

I had only owned my car 2 days when I got a puncture. A screw was stuck in the tyre and it was so long it was hitting the wheel arch every revolution of the tyre, fortunately not too far from home. Like a true gentleman I let the wife walk home for the other car and the manual because I could not work out how to get the spare from underneath. I kept picking up the white bag and thinking what's this for Doh!
unclemart

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by unclemart »

Had the same thought 2 days ago - I checked the spacesaver only to find the valve had failed and it was flat :( - A quick trip to ATS resulted in a very nice man who replaced it for Free :D ...... (think he liked the Z)

Caution note.. dont rely on tyreweld though we have a fleet of VW Tourans at work the 7 seater version does not have any spare wheel at all and after about a dozen punctures reported so far tyreweld has worked succsesfully on only two occasions the rest had to call the RAC for assistance.

BTW - what white bag? - where white bag? - I wanna white bag!! :bawl: