Front ABS Sensors stuck

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
imc

Z3 roadster 1.9

Front ABS Sensors stuck

Post by imc »

As mentioned in a previous posting I have both the ABS and ASC warning lights on at the moment. I have measured the sensor resistance and these look okay. I have been able to clean and remove the rear sensors but the front ones on both sides seem to be stuck in tight. Any ideas on how to get these out without breaking them ?

Any advice appreciated.
aj2007

M roadster S50

Post by aj2007 »

I assume you have removed bolt No8 and the sensor is now seized in, tried plenty of WD40?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=31&fg=10
imc

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by imc »

Yes, I've removed the bolt and tried WD40, but still stuck. I guess this area is subject to high temperature being near the brakes and they have jammed themselves in over the years. Have you had any problems getting yours out ?

Sensors

Post by Guest »

Yes - they do this if they have never been removed. It's not heat, but the hole through the hub casting rusting and gripping the plastic body of the sensor.

Patience, penetrating oil, and a little leverage are the only ways to get it out.

If you want to remove a really stuck sensor the only way is to remove the hub and bearings (Probably need a new one after removal) and drive it out.

Good luck!
aj2007

M roadster S50

Post by aj2007 »

I have not actually had any problems with my ABS yet touch wood :?

Have a look at this article, (it's not specific to BMW ABS but it gives some really good guidance for faulting ABS and info about do's and dont's with sensors, have a look at Sensors and Dirt and Corrosion sections in particular)
The fact they are corroded in could be part of the problem, does the light come on and stay on when you start the engine (ABS testing itself) or come on when the car is moving?

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/abssystem.htm

Regards

Ade
imc

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by imc »

The lights come on when you start the engine and then stay on. Thanks for the link I will take a look.

Regards

Imc