Anyone have Iphone that wanna trade??

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Stoned@Home

Z3 roadster 2.0

Anyone have Iphone that wanna trade??

Post by Stoned@Home »

hi, i have a nokia 95 8GB phone on vodafone contract,
anyone got a Iphone they don't like or get on with?
willing to trade?? my nokia n95 8gb + cash for an Iphone..

cheers jay
Bracey

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Bracey »

Have you tried websites such as http://www.mazumamobile.com ?

I've done a quick check on your phone and it says they'll give £140 for a working 8GB N95 (and £65 for a non-working phone!).

Incidently, they reckon they'll give £185 for a working 8GB iPhone.

Maybe you could shop around on those sites and see if any other companies can better their offer?
Stoned@Home

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Stoned@Home »

i know some peeps are disapointed in their Iphones just hoping i might find someone on here, if not blag my mum to upgrade n give it to me :D
then sell my n95 8gb for £150-£200 on fleabay :D
thanks anyway, but them sites are just like Secondhand shop (rip off central, for the seller)
mrluke

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by mrluke »

Stoned@Home wrote:i know some peeps are disapointed in their Iphones just hoping i might find someone on here, if not blag my mum to upgrade n give it to me :D
then sell my n95 8gb for £150-£200 on fleabay :D
thanks anyway, but them sites are just like Secondhand shop (rip off central, for the seller)
sell ur nokia on ebay

and check for second hand 2g Iphones !

2g are the best iphones !!! who needs GPS ??? every 1 has a tomtom now days .. who needs 3g ???
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

IPhone is locked to 02. It won't be any good unless you jailbreak it. Plus iPhone V3.0 code is coming out this month, so maybe wait to buy one with the new features.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Stoned@Home

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Stoned@Home »

Yeah was gonna jailbreak it!!

Another New version!?! WoW...
i'll check it out... my mum might upgrade on her contract n get me one, i hope new version has better camera on it :D
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

It's a new software version. You won't get a better camera, but you might get a better (faster) camera app, and some of the technologies that opther phones have had for 10 years, such as modems functionality, copy/paste and MMS support.

My point was the money-grabbing chums in Cupertino may want £20 for the upgrade, so hold off buying for a few weeks to try to get it for free.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Zim

M roadster S52

Post by Zim »

yeah the preview will be demo'd on the 17th, but i doubt they will ship it till at least a month after, they have to pull out all the stops to make the "Pre" feel outdated.

my lil tip wait till june/july a new iPhone may be released with a lil better specs..

/Z
OO 1005

M coupe S50

Post by OO 1005 »

The 3.0 event on Tuesday will literally only be a preview, nothing too major just what they expect to have in the next version of the iPhone software, I'm expecting the next gen iPhone inbetween May-June at the earliest...
I've had the 2G and the 3G and without doubt functionality the 3G is the best compared to Edge... My 3G is faster than my ADSL connection at home!!!
Admittedly I prefer the materials in the 2G than the 3G, but the speed makes up for it without a doubt!

If you're after an iPhone bear in mind both the 2G and the 3G can be unlocked as long as the Modem version on the 3G is 2.28.00 or lower...
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I have to say, the Palm Pre looks like the first phone with an equal UI to the iPhone, without the 10 year old hardware. It's certainly tempting me away from Nokia and their squishy fronted 5800 and N97.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

i have a 2g iphone and love it. it is unlocked and jailbroken, and i have just upgraded from 1.1.4 software, to 2.0. have the full app store, cydia and installer. for mms you can just get an application that allows you to send and recieve pictures etc. as for the camera there are loads of add ons, apps etc for different cameras, styles etc. even a video recorder. why wait, get a jailbroken, upgraded 2g and it will do nearly everything you want. wouldnt sell mine for the world, ok, i would but would have to be a very good price!
Arctic Silver 1997 (r) 1.9 z3
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

I have a 2 G unlocked and a 3 G with 02 and the 3 G is miles better internet speed wise and general browsing.

I thought if you have an unlocked iPhone that you couldn't do the software updates through iTunes as it will brick the phone ie lock it, Apple's way of ensuring that you have too have an 02 contract or pay as you go with them. It might have changed now.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

as soon as u update it does lock it, so u have to unlock it again. used this step by step, which was quite simple:

http://www.simonblog.com/2008/11/27/com ... r-windows/
Stoned@Home

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Stoned@Home »

not 100% sure about that, i know ITunes Turns to Dtunes P2P :D
their may be a way to install updates manually or unhack then re hack maybe
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Or you could just boycott the brand that has such draconian restrictions on the item you own?

In fact did you know, if you read the iPhone User License very carefully, even though you will shell out over £400 in the lifetime of your contract, you never actually own your iPhone and it's software? You are just leasing the license to the code and design, and Apple can take it back if you break the T&Cs. Crazy company.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

thats why u buy them second hand, jailbreak and unlock. no contract involved. i run mine on orange pay as you go, no problems. nothing to do with apple, or O2
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Or you chooseanother brand, and get a brand new condition one with a warranty and not 18 months old? And get it for free from your network operator too.

Did you know the new iPod shuffle requires a hardware chip in the headphones to identify them? So that apple can charge a fee for the headphone licensing too, which will pass directly onto us the consumer? The mind boggles with that company.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

nothings every free. u just pay in different ways. im more than happy with my payg deal with orange. i top up by £10 each month and for that i get free evening and weekend calls and 300 free texts. my internet use, even with EDGE is also free, so cant argue with that. every 2 months i dont top up, just so can use up some credit.

guess depends how much u use your phone.

for me, i like the freedom of not being tied to a contract. been there, done that, been stung, wouldnt do it again
Last edited by _wendy_ on Mon 16 Mar, 2009 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I'm a contract kind of person, old school, but I wouldn't want to pay say £150-200 for a phone and for it to be second hand without a full manufacturer's warranty.
And_101

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by And_101 »

estocks wrote:It's a new software version. You won't get a better camera, but you might get a better (faster) camera app, and some of the technologies that opther phones have had for 10 years, such as modems functionality, copy/paste and MMS support.

My point was the money-grabbing chums in Cupertino may want £20 for the upgrade, so hold off buying for a few weeks to try to get it for free.
Apple never charge for Software updates for the iPhone, only the iPhone touch, and even then only just over £6.

clicky

So much prejudice and ignorance abounds....
www.PCandMacIT.com

Member of Team Lauterbrunnen
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

And_101 wrote:Apple never charge for Software updates for the iPhone, only the iPhone touch, and even then only just over £6.

clicky

Prejudice? Have you seen the offline price of the iPhone? AT&T will be charging $599for the 8GB offline. Factory gate price for the hardware and the manufacturing is estimated at around $173. That's about 346% profit. Most phone companies pull about 100% profit. Have you seen the price of similarly specified Windows PCs to Apple Macs? Also several times more. No other company would have the nerve to charge for firmware updates to an MP3 player. So my accusation of them being money grabbing is spot on.

Ignorance? You'll not the date of my post pre-dates Apple's announcement not to charge for the update. The reporters in the technology field in the blogs preceding the announcement were also suggesting it was conceivable to see a fee for the update to a basic feature set. It was a prediction, and they are allowed to be wrong :wink: .

You'll also note iPhone 2G owners will not be eligible for the update, forcing them to upgrade if they want the basic feature set of OS 3.0, another famous Apple tactic to take consumers for a ride.
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

estocks wrote:My point was the money-grabbing chums in Cupertino may want £20 for the upgrade, so hold off buying for a few weeks to try to get it for free.
iPhone revenue is recognized over a 24 month period, the useful life of the product. iPod revenue is recognized immediately. US GAAP defines that if the useful value and purpose of the hardware is changed a fee must be charged. You can argue over the amount, but the auditors wouldn't sign-off the accounts without the deferred income portion.

Personally I don't see the problem. When you offer compelling products and services, you can charge as much as you like as often as you like. People can always vote with their feet.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I didn't know that about GAAP (not heard of it), yet the 346% profit and the PC stats and the iPhone 2G not even being elligable (even for $6) still stands true.

I've advocated voting with your feet a couple of times now.
And_101

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by And_101 »

estocks wrote:
And_101 wrote:Apple never charge for Software updates for the iPhone, only the iPhone touch, and even then only just over £6.

clicky

Prejudice? Have you seen the offline price of the iPhone? AT&T will be charging $599for the 8GB offline. Factory gate price for the hardware and the manufacturing is estimated at around $173. That's about 346% profit. Most phone companies pull about 100% profit. Have you seen the price of similarly specified Windows PCs to Apple Macs? Also several times more. No other company would have the nerve to charge for firmware updates to an MP3 player. So my accusation of them being money grabbing is spot on.

Ignorance? You'll not the date of my post pre-dates Apple's announcement not to charge for the update. The reporters in the technology field in the blogs preceding the announcement were also suggesting it was conceivable to see a fee for the update to a basic feature set. It was a prediction, and they are allowed to be wrong :wink: .

You'll also note iPhone 2G owners will not be eligible for the update, forcing them to upgrade if they want the basic feature set of OS 3.0, another famous Apple tactic to take consumers for a ride.
346% profit is not unusual, nor high (take designer label clothes - pence to produce in a sweatshop...) Anyway, you're not just paying for the raw materials, there is a cost associated with the research and development of the product. Apple products are always cutting edge, that comes at a price. Also Apple don't seem to have any trouble selling the phone at the price charged, so the market judges it a fair price. I notice that whenever Nokia or the others bring out a new high spec phone, the initial price is as high or higher than the price of the iPhone on O2 (talking contracts here), it does drop, but only in response to the fact that the product probably isn't that great, and they need to shift it in volumes.

The "similarly specified" Windows PCs to Apple Macs argument that some people trot out is wrong too. The PCs are never quite the same spec, missing features or software that the Macs have as standard.

Apple don't charge for firmware upgrades on their computers, iPhones are iPods. They only charge for software updates that add significant new features - something, as Greg explained, they are obliged to do under US accounting law. However they have always stated that iPhone software updates are not subject to a charge.

I don't know where you get the idea that 2G iphone owners will not be eligible for the update - the articles on the tech sites clearly state ALL iPhones. You shouldn't let your prejudices get in the way of the facts.

Given the above I think my charge of ignorance and prejudice still stands :wink:
www.PCandMacIT.com

estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I'm aware of the futility of trying to argue with a fruit-blind fanboy, the kind that thinks Apple is being somehow singled out and unfairly persecuted, because they cannot see of all the tech companies in the world Apple is equally if not more so Machiavellian in its business practices. Of course all companies have criticisms that can be levied at them, and Apple is right there amongst them.

Apple operate in the field of electronics, not clothing, and in the field in which they operate they sell expensive hardware and mediocre software for disproportionately massive profits. Sure there may be minor differences like the version of Bluetooth or the spin speed of the HDD, but they are just that, minor.

I don't believe they've ever released something that is cutting edge, with the exception of the Airport range of WLAN APs. The iPod and iPhone are way behind the tech curve and getting further behind, and their Macs are several months behind PCs.

The Apple mobile OS software experience and functionality is equaled (and recently bettered) by the Free Of Charge Linux Maemo.

I watched the live blogs of the iPhone OS 3.0 preview, the iPhone 2G is not capable for the MMS or A2DP, but that is because of the ancient hardware.

Apple gear is mediocre, hugely expensive, ubiquitous in the MP3 world. Every company has faults, even the ones in California :head:
And_101

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by And_101 »

estocks wrote:I'm aware of the futility of trying to argue with a fruit-blind fanboy, the kind that thinks Apple is being somehow singled out and unfairly persecuted, because they cannot see of all the tech companies in the world Apple is equally if not more so Machiavellian in its business practices. Of course all companies have criticisms that can be levied at them, and Apple is right there amongst them.

Apple operate in the field of electronics, not clothing, and in the field in which they operate they sell expensive hardware and mediocre software for disproportionately massive profits. Sure there may be minor differences like the version of Bluetooth or the spin speed of the HDD, but they are just that, minor.

I don't believe they've ever released something that is cutting edge, with the exception of the Airport range of WLAN APs. The iPod and iPhone are way behind the tech curve and getting further behind, and their Macs are several months behind PCs.

The Apple mobile OS software experience and functionality is equaled (and recently bettered) by the Free Of Charge Linux Maemo.

I watched the live blogs of the iPhone OS 3.0 preview, the iPhone 2G is not capable for the MMS or A2DP, but that is because of the ancient hardware.

Apple gear is mediocre, hugely expensive, ubiquitous in the MP3 world. Every company has faults, even the ones in California :head:
I think you blur your very personal and minority opinion with fact. You certainly sound like someone that has never used a Mac. I have used both platforms, and am technically qualified on both, in fact better qualified on MS Windows - but to me, its quite obvious which is the superior and more advanced product - and its not MS. If you'd used an iPhone for any period, you'd know how great they are.

I don't know why you feel the need to slag them off at every opportunity - I see you sniped about quicktime on another post. If I am a fruit-blind fan boy, you must be the antithesis - blinded by hate :lol:
www.PCandMacIT.com

estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

I am far from biased, I had a 3G iPhone on preorder, it would have been at my door on launch day, I love the webkit browser, lag free code on the 2G and the capacitive touchscreen.

I canceled the preorder once I found out they had crippled the Bluetooth modem, which I need. I am glad I canceled, after reports of the abysmal battery life and sluggish software.

I will buy products that suit my need, I have no brand prejudice.

I was watching the OS 3.0 blog hoping they would de-restirct the iPhone, meaning I can get one, after all within a few weeks o2 will be giving them away free on contract.

Yes I also dislike quicktime, it has an ability to cripple a machine by using up 90% of the system resource. But I also dislike Adobe Acrobat (for being 13MB for a PDF reader), Real Player and Windows Mobile. But none of those were the topic of the thread.
OO 1005

M coupe S50

Post by OO 1005 »

Apple locking you to a certain provider I dont think is unfair or individual in the mobile world.. It is as good as common practise to look a handset to the network provider, I think its only certain o2 handsets that don´t...

I had always been Windows and MS all the way since I was 8 (yeah I know!!!) but 5 years ago I had to go on Apple Support training as part of my old job... I now have a MacBook Air, a MacBook, MacMini & a MacPro as well as a 3G iPhone, 2G iPhone and currently testing 3.0 beta 2 OS... I support about 100 PC´s or so at work and 4 Mac´s and the Mac´s never have any problems... They just work... The PC´s are a different story and its almost always down to either IE or another MS app trying to control everything...

Don´t get me wrong, I´m not an Apple Fanboy and they do make some really big mistakes, but in the grand scheme of things I know who I´d rather give and have given my hard earned to....
Stoned@Home

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Stoned@Home »

Well went out & bought one :D
Paid £155 as it's on o2 contract for 18 months.

I just wanted one.... i browes the net out n about & on a N95 8Gb it's pretty shitty, also more storage for mp3's or files, better with my Zed headunit.
yay i got play lists now, much better than finding my way through file structure on an mp3 CD or my usb memory stick, which was my prefered method until now :D

I got version 2.2.1 so i can't swap Sim Card.. well i can but it won't work!
I have Jailbreaked it, some sweet apps about.. Also i can do a virtual mount of Windows server on it.. then run Aircrack to hack routers :D

So i still got a N95 8Gb surplus.