Swapping Z3 for Z4

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Swapping Z3 for Z4

Post by AndyW »

Hi

I am finally taking the leap and should be swapping my Z3 (2.0) for a Z4. 8-)

I have reserved a 2.2 in black with red leather subject to being satisfied when I see it / drive it. It arrives at the dealer tomorrow and should be prepped for us to have a look at the weekend.

Is there anything I should check before I sign on the dotted line, or anything I should negotiate for? It already has a wind deflector so no need to ask for that.

Also any tips for a new owner moving up from a Z3?

Cheers

Andy
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Swapping Z3 for Z4

Post by TitanTim »

AndyW wrote:Hi

I am finally taking the leap and should be swapping my Z3 (2.0) for a Z4. 8-)

I have reserved a 2.2 in black with red leather subject to being satisfied when I see it / drive it. It arrives at the dealer tomorrow and should be prepped for us to have a look at the weekend.

Is there anything I should check before I sign on the dotted line, or anything I should negotiate for? It already has a wind deflector so no need to ask for that.

Also any tips for a new owner moving up from a Z3?

Cheers

Andy

Good luck with the Z4 but moving up from a Z3 :shock: :?:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
smartypants

Other roadster

Re: Swapping Z3 for Z4

Post by smartypants »

AndyW wrote: Also any tips for a new owner moving up from a Z3?

Prepare for disappointment? :D
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi Andy

One piece of advice - just don't try and compare the Z4 with the Z3 - we've found them to be two really different cars. We've not experienced any problems with the Z4 so far but it's only just 2 years old.

Is the one you're looking at on RFT's or normal tires? The RFT's give a much firmer ride perhaps more so on ours as it has the Sports Pack suspension - but the upside is that it is superglued to the road. I've seriously scared myself in it without the DCT showing any signs of cutting in. We find the Z4 just a bit more civilised (boring?) than the Z3 but the bigger boot is useful for holidays.

Other than that you probably just need to look for all the usual things and give it a "thorough" test drive. :D

As it's got the wind deflector and if there's nothing else see how much life is left in the tires and if they're quite worn negotiate some new ones.

Enjoy.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Ackers

Z4 roadster 3.0i

I swapped Z3 for Z4

Post by Ackers »

I recently swapped my 2.8ltr Z3 for a 3.0 ltr SE Z4 with sports pack and it is a different car. Being 6ft 2in tall the Z4 fits me much better (my knees don't touch the steering wheel), and the drive is much more comfortable. Don't get me wrong, the Z3 was great, but it was a tad to cosy for my frame. I prefer the Z3 looks, but from a driving perspective the Z4 is better I think. I got a bit of an ouch though when I replaced two of the 4 run flat tyres, they cost me £150 each!
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

Thanks for all your replies. Just meant 'moving up' in terms of Zed number and newer car! :wink:
Any replacement is going to have a tough act to follow!

I think the car is on RFT so will be interested to see if I can notice the impact.

Will let you know how I get on.

Andy
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

You'll love it what ever - its still a BMW Z at the end of the day!
Martin

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Martin »

I too recently went from a Z3 2.8 to a Z4 3.0 SE. I did it initially with much trepidation as I loved my Z3. I can confirm that I have not been disappointed in terms of handling, performance and comfort. I have no regrets with my purchase and am really enjoying my motoring right now and the car is very easy to live with and more economical.

If you are getting it from a main dealer I would be very surprised if they supply it fitted with non RFTs as they are rather sniffy about it and there may be warranty issues. My car is fitted with OEM RFTs but in normal driving I cannot see that they are a problem (My Z3 did have a particularly firm ride due to all the additional ironmongery fitted underneath so comparison is difficult!) That said when the time comes I will probably change over to see what happens and save money.

There is a well documented issue with OEM springs breaking. When it happens some owners choose to move away from OEM to Eibach.

If you haven't already it is definitley worth joining Z4 Forum http://www.z4-forum.com/ as the guys on there are as nuts and knowledgeable about their cars as the good folks on here!

Good Luck and enjoy!! :P
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

AndyW

Good luck with the new car I'm sure you will enjoy it just as much.

I had the same dilema at christmas but went for the Z3. I am sure that if I was looking as my main car though I would have gone for the Z4. The Z3 is much more fun to me which is what I wanted but I'm not sure I could live with it every day. The Z4 is much more refined as an everyday car.

You know the answer is to get both though :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Ackers

Z4 roadster 3.0i

No regrets

Post by Ackers »

I have no regrets about the Z3, it was a fine car. I just needed something physically bigger. I kept the Z3 for such a long time because my wife loved it. But she passed away recently so i moved into the bigger Z4. The Z3 is still in the family, I sold it to my sister-in-law as her "weekend" car. You are right, about if it is your main car, the Z4 is the only one I have, so it made more sense for me to move on.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Well today I came back to my Zed and a Z4M in Silver had parked next to me, I still love the look of my Zed against the Z4 but that M had me thinking, I WANT ONE lol Need to :rtm: my bank statement :shock:

Tim.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

It wasn't me :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Z4M is the only Z4 I would consider, apart from the coupe - which I think is a lovely looking machine.

And actually this is a good time to buy, you can get a minter from a dealer low miles good spec for 16-17k. That is a LOT of machine for that money!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

smartypants wrote:Z4M is the only Z4 I would consider, apart from the coupe - which I think is a lovely looking machine.

And actually this is a good time to buy, you can get a minter from a dealer low miles good spec for 16-17k. That is a LOT of machine for that money!
I can't lol I just bought a 1 Series :head:

Tim.
smartypants

Other roadster

Post by smartypants »

Me neither - I've just bought a Golf :head:

Getting old and sensible sucks :D
Martin

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Martin »

smartypants wrote:Me neither - I've just bought a Golf :head:

Getting old and sensible sucks :D
Be a delinquent geriatric and grow old disgracefully............Blow the kid's inheritance. You know it makes sense :D
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

Thanks everyone - I really appreciate your thoughts on the issue. :)

We were using the Zed as our only car until my daughter came along just over 2 years ago.

Since then it has been a second car. I managed to take it out for a good run yesterday which put a real smile on my face. I am really hoping the Z4 will be as much fun as a second car.

Perhaps I should trade in the Avensis instead and go for the 2 Zed option!! 8-)

I did take a 2.0 Z4 for a brief test drive last year but didn't like the drive as much as my Z3 2.0 straight six. I am hoping the 2.2 6 cylinder engine will hit the mark.

Unfortunately the car we have reserved did not arrive at the dealers yesterday due to delays in transferring back from a private plate. It looks like it will be late next week before we can take a look.
Martin

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Martin »

If it's a second car why not go for a 3.0 litre. They are reasonably economical and a much better driving experience.
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

Martin wrote:If it's a second car why not go for a 3.0 litre. They are reasonably economical and a much better driving experience.
It is very tempting but I am concerned about the extra insurance costs. We have never felt the Z3 to be lacking in power and the Z4 2.2 is supposed to be quite a bit quicker so I think it should do us fine.
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

Well the deed is done - we have signed up for the Z4.

It is in good condition and looks very smart - particularly the red leather and 18" wheels. :)

The drive was good and it felt about as quick as our Z3 (although I know it is faster). I guess the size of the Z3 and the feel of being closer to the road makes it feel quicker than the same speed/ acceleration would in the Z4.

I suppose I will also need to learn how to drive it properly to get the best from it.

I am going to miss my Z3 so much but am also looking forward to many more years of Z Roadster fun with the Z4!
Zed_Steve

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zed_Steve »

Welcome to the Z4 club :thumb:

I too miss my Z3 , but am more than happy with its replacement :D
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

Shiney pics wanted :zmurf:
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

Thanks Guys - Bring on the summer!!

I only have a quick snap from the phone at the moment but will take some nice ones when I bring her home in a week or so!

http://picasaweb.google.com/AndyWhite24 ... 0858031986
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

Those are the best wheels for the Z4 without a doubt .
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

PVR wrote:Those are the best wheels for the Z4 without a doubt .
Thanks mate - yeah I thought they looked good. 8-)
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

Hi I picked the Z4 up this afternoon. The clouds came out right on cue!! :(

However the car is great and I am loving the handling and performance!

I have been able to drive it hard in a way I didn't feel I could whilst just test driving and am very pleased to say I think it is a worthy replacement for the Z3.

The heated seats give an interesting sensation. I thought I had wet myself with excitement when they first came on! :lol:

I managed to take some quick pictures - hope you like them:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vj ... directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6d ... directlink
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

Are the tyres different from the first pictures?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Congrats it looks fab especially on those alloys, I will say the Z4 has too sit on the larger alloys whereas I think the Z3 can get away with smaller wheels.

Is that you reading the news? :shock:

Tim.
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

Not sure about tyres. Bmw didn't mention replacing them as part of their approved used checks but it is possible.

Lol - the newsreader is Ron Burgundy from 'Anchorman' didn't realize the links would give access to all the photos in the album. That could have been embarassing!
Zim

M roadster S52

Post by Zim »

Perfect colour combo.. enjoy many hot summer nights mate..
AndyW

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by AndyW »

Thanks guys - I am really pleased. It was worth waiting for the right one to come along. Got it from the same BMW salesman who sold me the Z3. He had been looking out for one that matched our wish list. I know people have mixed views on dealers but we have always had great service from ours.