Top down

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Bob Hoskins

Z4 M roadster

Top down

Post by Bob Hoskins »

Like most normal zedders I have been taking advantage of this glorious weather and driving the zed to work every day this week (round trip of 75 miles) with the top down.

Is it me or what? I cannot believe the number of convertibles I have seen with the roof up!!! What is the point of having a topless motor if you never drop the roof??
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I think Monday must have been a special day - every convertible I saw had its roof down barring one - a porker. Even the Mercs and TTs had 'em down. It was certainly a glorious morning at 9am and just nice temperature - shame I disappeared into the cloud over Saddleworth! :shock:

I do sometimes wonder why some people bought a convertible though - round here so many of them never seem to drop the roof. I even see a few MX5s with hardtops on... in June! :?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

My roof has been permanently down for a while now, car just put in the garage overnight. but I don't always put mine down, just popping down the shops ect I just can't be bothered. Many people will be the same. Just because its there its not compulsory to use it, I have a radio/CD player but I wouldn't know when I last turned it on.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

i have had my roof down most days this week driving home from work. i dont bother in the mornings, cos well i just cant be bothered. i drive in autopilot. however 1 day this week i started driving with the roof down, but had to stop and put it back up, the sun was right in my eyes and face and it was so hot. i put the roof up and opted for air con instead. much nicer.
Arctic Silver 1997 (r) 1.9 z3
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

OT but did I read somewhere that the BMW MINI computer records the time spent topless ?

more from Wiki - 'During the production of first generation MINI, as a joke and undoubtedly as a part of Mini's viral marketing approach, purchasers of the MINI convertible were asked to sign a "contract" promising that they would drive the car with the roof open at least 90% of the time. MINI also set up a telephone hotline (in the USA: 1-888-DO NOT CLOSE) which one may call to report convertible owners who are driving with the roof up inappropriately. The automated system offers such helpful advice as how to administer a wedgie to the offender'

Post by Guest »

_wendy_ wrote: i put the roof up and opted for air con instead. much nicer.
Sorry Wendy, absolutely have to disagree with you on that one.

Roof down am/pm - it's what wakes me up in a morning 8-)

Temp guage said 31 degrees today - saw 2 softops with roof up - I just don't get it :head: If peeps are not going to put their softops down in this weather then when are you :?:
OO 1005

M coupe S50

Post by OO 1005 »

I have the top down nearly all the time excep for any roadtrips I do during the summer then I have to keep the roof up... Its way tooo hot to leave it down...!
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

_wendy_ wrote:i have had my roof down most days this week driving home from work. i dont bother in the mornings, cos well i just cant be bothered. i drive in autopilot. however 1 day this week i started driving with the roof down, but had to stop and put it back up, the sun was right in my eyes and face and it was so hot. i put the roof up and opted for air con instead. much nicer.

sell it to someone who appreciates it, and buy a saloon will ya :-)

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

if you read the first bit it says i have had the roof down most days this week - all but the once when i had to put it up cos the sun was right in my eyes. would rather be safe thanks, the write off my zed cos couldnt see.
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Z3 currently lives outside and thus 5 min jaunt to shops seldom sess roof down. Don't want to put wear on hood for sake of 5 min jaun or spend 5 mins putting it up an down caring for rear window & avoiding contact with side windows.

One summer with garaged MX-5 roof down nearly all summer as safe to leave open home, locally & secured at work.

Trips longer than 5 mins or so always top down in this weather. :)
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

well it only takes me 5 mins to get to work and 10 mins the long way home with roof down
daverave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by daverave »

Have to agree with the O.P. If you have a soft top it should be an offence to drive it on a nice day with it up. Why spend all that money on a convertable and then not use the equipment provided :head:

A bit like having wipers and not using them it the rain :head:
ImageImage
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

_wendy_ wrote:if you read the first bit it says i have had the roof down most days this week - all but the once when i had to put it up cos the sun was right in my eyes. would rather be safe thanks, the write off my zed cos couldnt see.
I also read the last bit which said 'much nicer' meaning you preferred it with the roof up and the aircon on.
so you could buy a saloon or some sunglasses lol

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

the aircon that day was much nicer yes, there was no air, except warm hot air. i had been in a hot sauna of a classroom all day and just wanted cold air. personally i dont see the problem in that. just cos you have something doesnt mean u have to use it all the time. otherwise why bother having aircon in the car in the first place? or having a phone with all the latest gadgets when all u do is text?
some people are so judgemental, just cos for one day i preferred some cold air, to hot stuffy fumes, doesnt mean i appreciate my cars any less than you. whos to say ur way is right, or the only way?
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I actually find that my aircon is invaluable on a hot muggy day when its raining, It also stops condensation forming when people get in the car with wet clothes on from the rain.
I also put it on when the roof is down to blow cold air around my legs, when the sun is beating down..... it's lovely!
Thats maybe a couple of reasons why its fitted to some convertibles.

I think you will find most people here think the top should be down on a hot sunny day.
I wonder if a poll was created asking
hot and sunny-- "roof down"? or "roof up with aircon on"?
lets ask the audience but be prepared for a convincing result

:D

John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

gookah wrote:I think you will find most people here think the top should be down on a hot sunny day.
I personally go with 'If it's not raining...' :D

Totally agree with the aircon on the feet on a hot day too! 8-)
John Boy
2.8 Z3
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I thought the 'sunny' bit described the weather conditions enough, but yes If you want to nit pick, :D

Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

gookah wrote:sell it to someone who appreciates it, and buy a saloon will ya :-)
When I first read this I was sure it said salon. Which is ironic really, seeing as I thought we all had one of those already :wink:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

well I dont know about you, but I have such problem fitting in all the tongs, dryers, curlers and straighteners, not to mention the manicure set in such a small boot

xx love bruno! xx :D

HandsomeMike

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by HandsomeMike »

I put the roof down constantly, glad I got an electric roof because i can chuck it up at traffic lights if it starts raining. I drive with the roof down in the middle of the night and frankly no journey is too small. I find that when i put the roof up i'm just 'driving a car'... with the roof down I'm driving a Z3.

Its impossible to 'switch off' with the roof down, you're more aware of other drivers, your speed, driving style, everything.

I'm not sure i'll be able to own anything else again.
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

Giles wrote:
gookah wrote:sell it to someone who appreciates it, and buy a saloon will ya :-)
When I first read this I was sure it said salon. Which is ironic really, seeing as I thought we all had one of those already :wink:
It's also ironic that some hairdresser's (including an ex of mine who was a stylist) attest to hating having the roof down due to the effects of the wind on their hair. :lol:
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

gookah wrote:
_wendy_ wrote:i have had my roof down most days this week driving home from work. i dont bother in the mornings, cos well i just cant be bothered. i drive in autopilot. however 1 day this week i started driving with the roof down, but had to stop and put it back up, the sun was right in my eyes and face and it was so hot. i put the roof up and opted for air con instead. much nicer.

sell it to someone who appreciates it, and buy a saloon will ya :-)
Hmmmmmmm is that a hardtop I see on your Zed? :roll: runs and hides :devil:

For me it depends where I'm going to be using my Zed. Long trips along country roads the top will be down. Driving around town stuck in traffic at rush hour top will be up :shock:

Last week all my driving was in town and to be honest being stuck in a traffic jams I was happy to be in my 1 Series windows closed with the air con on full blast. It did make me smile seeing poor people in their roadsters trying too look cool in traffic jams nudging 30 deg C looking like a roasted joint sweat pouring off them lol. Last week I left my top down motoring until the evening with a pub run, much more pleasant and comfortable.

I can see where Wendy is coming from, sometimes looking Sweaty in your Zed is not cool especially for a lady :oops:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
_wendy_

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by _wendy_ »

thank you Tim, glad someone understands. i have the roof down 90% of the time, but not all the time.

and indeed you still had you hardtop on in March, i was already driving topless by then. its not a fair weather car, its a car for year round. we get as many nice days in Feb and march as we do in the summer sometimes.
NewZedMan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Roof up/down

Post by NewZedMan »

I find that, on a busy motorway, the wind and traffic noise is very uncomfortable, even with a wind deflector in place, so I always drive with the roof up. Besides, with a manual roof, it's a problem when the rain starts and there's no convenient stopping place - especially if the tonneau is fitted.

On non-motorway roads, it's roof down when it's not raining. And very enjoyable, too.
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

I don't have my roof down very often either Wendy! :devil:

If I'm driving to work then it is almost certainly hood up! I don't think the shaggy dog look is very flattering or professional :wink: Plus don't forget a lot of blokes don't have to worry about their hair because they don't have enough of it to worry about! :lol: :wink:

However, there's nothing better than a bit of top down action if, the circumstances fit....Happy Days!!! :drive
FreddyK

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by FreddyK »

My experience is that most Z's I meet on the road are driving top down when it's not raining.
Most of the Boxters and MX5's are only open when it's sunny.
SLK's are always closed, no matter what kind of weather it is.
Robert T wrote:I even see a few MX5s with hardtops on... in June! :?
Cheers R.
Robert, you do know that the MX5 is now available with a retractable hardtop, right ?

Freddy
Freddy

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

FreddyK wrote:Robert, you do know that the MX5 is now available with a retractable hardtop, right ?
Yes I do. :roflmao:

These were slight older MXers and the HT looks somewhat like the one I have for my zed. :wink:

I half wondered if their roofs were in such shocking condition the only way to keep the rain out was to have the hardtop on permanently.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
z3ddie

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by z3ddie »

Much to my girlfriends horror my top is down every opportunity - she complains it messes her hair - my reply? Wear a scarf or get the bus
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

top man :bow :bow

Post by Guest »

z3ddie wrote:Much to my girlfriends horror my top is down every opportunity - she complains it messes her hair - my reply? Wear a scarf or get the bus
Couldn't agree more, opp way in our house, if other half has a face on when I start to put roof down I say "well we'll go in your car and use your petrol then" usually does the trick.

As far as the other comments about hair and looking professional, I have to say that I have found any 1 or a combination of these works quite well...

Hair Spray
Hair Gel
Hat
Scarf
Brush
Comb

and are all quite readily available in most good shops ! :P 8-)
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

I have always been a top down man , - 6C the winter :shock: . but of late I have taken to driving with the side windows down as well for a more open top feel.. helps the tan on my arms as well :zmurf:
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney