Netbooks

Advice and assistance on computer matters
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Netbooks

Post by Titan »

Hi All

Am thinking of buying a netbook for holiday and family travel use. I've got a laptop for work but can do without its bulkiness and don't need to carry full software everywhere we go.

They seem to range in price from £90 to sky's-the-limit.
  • Does anyone have one?
    What are the pitfalls?
    Would you recommend one or not?
Look forward to you comments
Thanks
Titan
Image :devil:
shoegazer

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by shoegazer »

Hi Terry,

I never thought I'd want one of these but now I've got one, I love it!

Just got a very basic acer aspire one 8" (A1 grade from acer direct http://www.acerdirect.co.uk/Grade%5FA1% ... sp?PID=171) but it's great for just surfing wirelessly wherever you are.

Have stuck with the basic but adequate linpus (Linux) operating sytem for speed. My only thought is that I wish I'd got one with 120gb HDD instead of the solid state 8gb drive. Also, worth checking battery life as mine's not too good at about 2 hours.

I'm told that the samsung is the one to get, but if you're like me you'll just wait for the right deal (often in supermarkets) true Yorkshire style!

Tim
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

The NC10 is weeks away from being replaced, while excellent, is long in the tooth. The 1005HA is better than the 1008HA becuase it has more ports and the ports are not awkardly recessed and capped. At the budget end the EEPCs are still good. Keep an eye out for the dual core CPU N280 NVidia's ION GPU and the HDD size.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

One of my colleagues has a Dell netbook with Ubuntu (Linux) on it and it is an ace little thing. The SSD is a must for battery life and speed of booting, even if it is limited in capacity. We even did some serious work on it, using it as a client to my laptop to load test one of our products. I liked it, but we all found the keyboard a bit small.

You need to ask yourself what you want to do on it. I have so far resisted buying one as I probably wouldn't use it. I take my work laptop almost everywhere with me, so I always have a full size machine which will run both Windows and Linux. If I do leave home without the laptop, then I always have my phone with me and I can do email on that and surf (well paddle in) the net - it also doubles as quite a respectable camera. So for me a netbook would only be a toy.

Linux will run quicker than Windows on such a small machine (in terms of CPU and memory) but it may phaze some people as it won't run everything that they are used to - though some people honestly can't tell the difference. I am a self-confessed Tuxophile, so that would suit me fine - I only tolerate Windows on my laptop because I have to.

So what do you imagine yourself doing on it?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

shoegazer wrote:I never thought I'd want one of these but now I've got one, I love it!
Thanks Tim
estocks wrote:The NC10 is weeks away from being replaced, while excellent, is long in the tooth. The 1005HA is better than the 1008HA becuase it has more ports and the ports are not awkardly recessed and capped. At the budget end the EEPCs are still good. Keep an eye out for the dual core CPU N280 NVidia's ION GPU and the HDD size.
I'm sorry estocks but the model numbers don't mean much to me without a brand name :?
Robert T wrote: So what do you imagine yourself doing on it?
First off - taking it to France in 3 weeks time and most subsequent holidays.
Number2 son spends extended periods away from home so could use it also :)

I have a works laptop but its too big and numb to fit in a Z - I can't pack as well as Mike Fishwick does :D
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

My son has had an Advent 4211C since Christmas 08 and is very pleased with it. We had to have the screen replaced under warranty but there was no quibble with this by PC World. When researching netbooks we were advised to stay away from the Acer brand.
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Hi Titan,

I bought an Asus Eee last christmas with the Linux operating system for £190 and pleased with it overall, it has a 9 inch screen which is fine for web browsing but if youre planning on writing e-mails etc I would definitely go for a 10 inch screen minimum. I just find on mine the keys are too small and close together and it gets a little tiresome. Apart from that its a good little netbook.

I've just ordered a new DELL studio 16 laptop to be delivered, looking forward to it as it has an RGB LED screen which are apparently a revelation, will wait and see.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport

Post by Guest »

Hi Titan

Bought my daughter an Acer Aspire one D150-1bw, it has:

Intel Atom N280 processor
1Gb DDR2 memory
160Gb hard drive
Wired and wireless network
Windows XP home
Bluetooth
6hr Battery life
10.1" screen

We did tons of research but went for Acer as other halfs new laptop is Acer and he is very happy with that.

Bought it from Comet and managed to find a voucher on line for £30 off so got it for £269.

If you do decide to look at Acer be careful with the model and specs, there are loads of different setups and you think you're getting a machine that's loads cheaper but then you see you've only got the little battery in (2hrs) or an older processor etc.
Zim

M roadster S52

Post by Zim »

The Samsung NC10 is pretty amazing, similar spec's to the rest:

Dimensions: 10.3 x 7.3 x 1.2 inches
Weight: 2.8 pounds
Display: 10.2″ TFT Display at 1024 x 600 pixels
Processor: 1.6-GHz Intel Atom N270
RAM: 1 GB DDR2 RAM
Chipset: Intel 945 GSE Express
Integrated Graphics: Intel GMA 950 64 MB VRAM
Hard Drive: 120 GB HDD, 5400 RPM
Wireless: Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g, Bluetooth 2.0 with EDR
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home
Ports: 3 USB 2.0, Ethernet, Headphone, Microphone, VGA, 3 in 1, SD Card Reader

the pro's for going for this one over the rest was the keyboard (94% of a full size one) & the battery life, thing just goes on and on..

/z
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Snoops wrote:Hi Titan
Bought my daughter an Acer Aspire one D150-1
Thanks Snoops - Costco appear to have that model on offer for £250 but I don't think theirs had bluetooth.
Zim wrote:The Samsung NC10 is pretty amazing
the pro's for going for this one over the rest was the keyboard (94% of a full size one) & the battery life, thing just goes on and on..
/z
Cheers Zim - I like the sound of that 94% keyboard.
i can blame my badd speeling on the mizzing 6 persent :wink:

Post by Guest »

That's the bit you have to watch, there are loads of different specs of that model which alters the price slightly.

It's down to you really what specs you need... bluetooth and long battery life were 2 priorities for us but everyone's needs differ.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Please note the NC10 will be replace by an ION equipped device before month end!
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

estocks wrote:Please note the NC10 will be replace by an ION equipped device before month end!
Sorry estocks but I don't fully understand the nuances here.
What is ION - the processor?
Does this represent a significant improvement, cost saving, increase in street cred or what?

I'd also be grateful for your views on choice of operating system Windows XP v Linux etc.

Thanks
Titan
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Titan wrote:
estocks wrote:Please note the NC10 will be replace by an ION equipped device before month end!
Sorry estocks but I don't fully understand the nuances here.
What is ION - the processor?
Does this represent a significant improvement, cost saving, increase in street cred or what?

I'd also be grateful for your views on choice of operating system Windows XP v Linux etc.

Thanks
Titan
Ion is the graphics chipset, and it is more better than the Intel 935/945 currently used in netbooks. It can do 1080p to an external display, and handle a few more games. There will also be the new dual core CPU You may not need either for browsing and text processing, as the new Samsung (510 if memory serves) will be a top end price, it may be out of budget. However the NC10 should start being reduced to clear so you can potentially scoop a bargain on Hot Deals UK.com.

Personally I'd get the Linux version, and preorder a copy of windows7 at £50. It goes up to £80 in a just few days, then £150 at launch.