Extended leather problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Extended leather problem

Post by komis »

Guys, I need some advice.

My Z3 has the extended leather option, which means a leather-covered instrument binnacle. I've noticed that the leather in covering this part seems to somehow have shrunk (!) upwards about 1 cm from the base of the binnacle, where it seems to have originally been "tucked in" and glued.

Now, it's not the end of the world since it doesn't look too bad (only visible from some angles) but i was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if anyone could recommend a product to make the leather more... supple, so as to stretch it back to its original position and glue it back in place.

Cheers :D
wwwwOOOff!!!
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

I have this option and I've seen some problems like this but with the passenger side airbag cover.

I treat mine with a leather conditioner (autoglim I think?) on a reguler basis and so far no probs.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi komis

Your problem with the leather is less severe than mine LINK that appears to have been caused by previous owner(s) leaving it out in the sun when touring in Europe. The leather was quite hard when I got the car and I found that AG leather polish applied regularly has softened it up. I've been putting off getting the dashboard out to release the modules so I can try and stick it down again.

Good luck with yours.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
jmai

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jmai »

Same thing happened to me on the instrument bezel. I eventually took dash apart and had leather replaced.

My car is a 98 2.8 USA model. It seems very prevalent on Tanin Red leather.

Here is the link of the write up.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... ash+repair
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi jmai and thanks for the link even though it just confirmed what I knew but didn't want to believe - i.e. that the whole dashboard has to come out. Will now have to get some serious planning done for the winter.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Thanks guys, Carer, your problems look very similar to mine actually... rats!

I wouldn't think the leather would shrink any further so I guess I'll soak it in leather care and see what happens...

Cheers :)
wwwwOOOff!!!