Post a driving tip..

Discussions on better road driving, advanced courses and the like
Justinitus

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by Justinitus »

I'm confused... flies or other halfs Conor??? Careful.... or Mairead won't be cooking your tea tonight..!! :D
Regards

Jus

RIP: '06 Z4 2.0i Sport, Montego Blue, Heated Black Leather
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

Back to thread

Know where your Hazard light switch is , I was going into Glasgow the other day on the always mobbed M8 in the lane for my turn off.An HGV had stopped , no hard shoulder but he had done a fair job of getting off the carriageway. The problem was someone had stopped to talk to the driveing :shock: :shock: , and as I slowed in the Queue behind my left hand went looking for the Hazard switch , after a bit I had to look down to see where it was , I mean I know where it was but in the heat of the moment with traffic all round and the worry of being rearended(steady there) I could not find it instinctively which would have made live just a little less streesfull at that moment.
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Try not to crash :D

Cheers P :wink:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
varboy

Not specified

Post by varboy »

Robert T wrote:When you stop at traffic lights, put the handbrake on and take your foot off the footbrake - that way you don't blind the driver behind you. It also makes your brake light bulbs last longer! :idea:

Cheers R.
It is actually quite a good idea to have your handbrake on AND press the brake pedal (if there is no one right behind you), this will help the numptees who fail to realise that they are approaching a line of stationary cars at speed.

Another tip, More Paint, More Danger.

To illustrate, if you are driving along an A or B and you are approaching an area where there is lots of road furniture warning you about impeding bends ie chevrons etc, take head.

It costs a the councils / HA to erect these signs, paint the roads etc and they only tend do so in areas where there have been a certain number of serious incidents or casualites.

I've been on a few advanced driving days so have picked up lots of tips, one of my favourites is trying not to stop at a roundabout, ie timing your entry just right so that you don't have to stop, it makes for much smoother driving.
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

varboy wrote:It costs a the councils / HA to erect these signs, paint the roads etc and they only tend do so in areas where there have been a certain number of serious incidents or casualites.
Absolute poo!

(I would suggest that) Councils are in the pockets of the paint and road furniture manufacturers, so much so that round my way, there are places where you can hardly see the tarmac for paint on safe straight stretches of road, and they install hugely expensive sensor illuminating signage to tell you that there's a roundabout ahead! Their excessive use of paints and signage is unsightly and usually completely unnecessary.

Most town halls have a room full of 'numpties' who have a HUGE budget to spend in the name of "road safety" and an intense urge to justify their bumper salaries. And I seriously doubt that some of these "experts" even have a driving license.
This leads to OUR money being spent just for the sake of spending it, so the council can say "we've spent £Xmillions on road safety" which results in nothing more than an urban aesthetic disaster and so much information for the road user to process that Einstein would be confused.

And to prove just how useless these people are, I could show you junctions where poorly designed or even complete LACK of painted lines makes them highly dangerous for all road users. :head:

And don't get me started on CYCLE LANES.....!

Councils, eh? :roll:

A.
Last edited by Alfie on Fri 10 Aug, 2007 10:25, edited 1 time in total.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

varboy wrote:take head.
That'd be more than just a bit distracting whilst you're driving! Maybe better save that for when you're parked - preferably with the handbrake on! :D :lol:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
z head

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by z head »

ALFIE, I think you should get off the fence and tell it how it really is!!

:lol: :lol:

nice one mate, my sentiments entirely.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Don't know if this driving tip has been posted already -

Just enjoy the experience. :P
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

check your lights are working... I have been behind two Zed 3's recently with brake lights not working , one only had the boot one shining :(
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I hope you waved Mupps ?

And told them? :P

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

always watch your in car dvd player whilst driving,this will keep you very alert, :lol:
Kipper

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Kipper »

Hide the keys from your wife!
varboy

Not specified

Post by varboy »

Alfie wrote:
varboy wrote:It costs a the councils / HA to erect these signs, paint the roads etc and they only tend do so in areas where there have been a certain number of serious incidents or casualites.
Absolute poo!

(I would suggest that) Councils are in the pockets of the paint and road furniture manufacturers, so much so that round my way, there are places where you can hardly see the tarmac for paint on safe straight stretches of road, and they install hugely expensive sensor illuminating signage to tell you that there's a roundabout ahead! Their excessive use of paints and signage is unsightly and usually completely unnecessary.

Most town halls have a room full of 'numpties' who have a HUGE budget to spend in the name of "road safety" and an intense urge to justify their bumper salaries. And I seriously doubt that some of these "experts" even have a driving license.
This leads to OUR money being spent just for the sake of spending it, so the council can say "we've spent £Xmillions on road safety" which results in nothing more than an urban aesthetic disaster and so much information for the road user to process that Einstein would be confused.

And to prove just how useless these people are, I could show you junctions where poorly designed or even complete LACK of painted lines makes them highly dangerous for all road users. :head:

And don't get me started on CYCLE LANES.....!

Councils, eh? :roll:

A.
OK so I'm talking total crap :roll:

The tip still stands, more paint more danger. If you are out in the middle of nowhere on a nice windy B road, do you pay attention to the dirty great chevrons as you approach a corner? I do.

I would agree that councils are slightly over zealous in some areas when it comes to road furniture but out in the middle of nowhere then that's put their for a need.

I have been on several advanced driving day courses and have been fortunate to be instructed by ex traffic cops, they have all said the same thing 'More Paint More Danger'. At the end of the day it's about lifting your vision beyond the end of your bonnet and observing the road (miles) ahead.

Take head (heed) :lol:
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

On the point of too many sign. You won't find that when they introduce no right turns signs along with a camera to catch people turning right. I got cught turning right where it's safe to do so & didn't see the tiny no right sign behind a tree branch !
Red Ken tried to fine me £150!
I disputed it & got off the hook.
Sorry I've drifted OT.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

varboy wrote:OK so I'm talking total crap :roll:
Varboy, that's not what I said.

I quoted you saying that councils....
varboy wrote:....only tend to....[use paint and signage]...in areas where there have been a certain number of serious incidents or casualites.
And sorry, but that just ain't the truth....

Your point about chevrons on a bend out in the countryside is a good one and yep, I sure do take note.....normally with a quick shift down to second.

A.
z head

Z4 roadster 2.5si

Post by z head »

If you MUST smoke, don't do it in your car, it only leaves you with one hand to hold your coffee, toast, razor and/or mascara thingy (depending on gender assignment) and of course mobile!

:head:
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

I may be late in mentioning this one: If I left my Astra out in the rain and applied the handbrake the brakes would seize... Strangely enough I bought a Zed (after 10 years of ogling and saving) and have no such problems. As for driving I would recommend reading 'Roadcraft' and if you have the time and inclination, doing the IAM course. If not, read Roadcraft, and remember: "Feet of the ballerina, Hands of the surgeon, eyes of the s**thouse rat". Look in your mirror so often that it hurts, because its thats twot behind who is going to ruin your Zed.
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

With regard to paint on the road, I also subscribe to the view the more paint and signs, the more danger.

However, if someone else could inform the folks at Elan Valley I'd be happy! A great road to drive from Prestigne to Aberystwyth (via Elan Valley and Devils Bridge) get on it of you can, but please remember that 359 degree turns do exist!
varboy

Not specified

Post by varboy »

Lazeodoom wrote: Look in your mirror so often that it hurts, because its thats twot behind who is going to ruin your Zed.
Plus you can see any coppers approaching at warp speed.
Lazeodoom

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Lazeodoom »

I can also vouch (since my own driver training) that more paint=more danger. Especially in Wales: In England Slow means slow. In Wales Araf/"Slow" means crawl.

I can also vouch for the road from Prestigne to Aber as being both excellent but also challenging. I took my training along that road and it was fabulous, a real challenge, hours of concentration and fun. I did that day in works 2.2l Vectra, a great drive which I will be repeating in my Zed this autumn.

Get there if you can. the views are breathtaking, and Elan Valley in the autumn is stunning as the water cascades from the dams. Being a Brummie its nice to see where my water comes from.
Tourniquet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tourniquet »

If the roads are wet, drive slower and more carefully.
If the roads are white drive like a freaking granny.
Convert to the church of "nice shiny engine bay"
All hail the shiny engine bay.
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Tourniquet wrote:If the roads are wet, drive slower and more carefully.
If the roads are white drive like a freaking granny.
Good one Tourniquet! Where have you been????
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Tourniquet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tourniquet »

Indulging my favorite passtimes medear. Got made redundant about 7 weeks back so I decided to take a bit of a break from "the rat race" and take a few short courses that interest me. (although they don't start for another 6 weeks)

More time on my hands meant more time to find things to occupy it. wonderfully relaxing an all :roll: .
Convert to the church of "nice shiny engine bay"
All hail the shiny engine bay.
paulo

blank.gif

Post by paulo »

Observation, I ride a motorcycle as well as driving a high performance car, so see every day people that are not aware of whats going on around them, overtaking without using mirrors, pulling out from junctions and looking the WRONG way as they set off, or simply being more interested in the in-car conversation than the road. Look as far ahead as you can see and try to find ALL the possible hazards to you and that you may cause. You'll be surprised just how near the accidents are as you drive around LOOKING FOR THEM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
senna

Z1 roadster

Post by senna »

Slow in, Fast out works for me :D
Engine Transplants by Night, Heart Transplants by Day. "you own the best Z1 in the world"
ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ShinyDave »

Watch the other drivers not the car - you can tell much more from watching their head / hand position that the movement / position of the car. If you want to know if they are gonna turn left - watch their hands :D
2002 3.0 Sport in Sterling Grey with full red/black leather

davieb

M coupe S50

Post by davieb »

Don't lose your licence just to prove a point. (edit - like when you've been overtaken by a chav..)
Zed_Steve

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zed_Steve »

Never 'assume' anything! By breaking the word up this makes an 'Ass' of 'u' and 'me' :)

Show courtesy and consideration towards other road users. One of my pet hates are drivers who have no regard for others on the road :head:

Recently i was approaching an island. Ahead i saw a car waiting to turn right into a petrol station near this island with a large queue of traffic forming behind which went all the way round the island. None of the cars in front of me would let him through so i slowed and signalled for him to go. This freed up the jam and within seconds was back behind the car i was following. :D

Engage a lower gear to maintain a slower speed, helpful in 30/40mph areas with speed cameras.
exdos

M coupe S54

Post by exdos »

I have lived "in the sticks" for over 30 years and my rule on the twisties is this: Use all the road where there is no solid white line in the middle and when it is safe to do so. This method gives you the greatest visibilty and it also "straightens" the highway for you.

Mirror

Post by Guest »

Keep a beady eye on the rear view mirror while you are stopped waiting to turn right, join a roundabout, or at traffic lights.

I have been saved three times now, by being aware of cars approachng behind which were travelling too fast to stop safely, and have been able to slip into gear and move forwards to avoid a collision, leaving them to occupy the space I was in. (One car did manage to go sideways, and ended up on the verge!)

Lots of drivers are too busy with their toys such as satnavs, and phones etc, or just think driving is dull and therefore do not pay attention. Others think that ABS etc will save them from themselves.

It's better to slip past a red light, or go round a keep left sign on the wrong side, than to have a shortened Z3.
321bhp

Not specified

Post by 321bhp »

never stick at 70 mph on the motorway its pretty dangerous,a 50 mile test of this i did on the m25 and m4 the other day,i was killing a bit of time as i had to pick a passenger up near oxford,so i thought id stick it a 70mph and no more,after a few miles i realised just how dangerous this can be,you get lorries up your arse all the time and get blocked in and cant see the road ahead,people from the third lane cut right across to leave at the next exit,i had a bloke toeing a caraven up my arse for miles,after about 30 mins i realised it was to risky staying at the correct speed,so im now out in the outside lane doing my usual just over 70 :lol: and its a safer place to be

i may well get shot for this by a few members but i do around 200 motorway miles a day and dont intend to be envolved in an accident
try it stick at the correct 70mph and youll get trouble
calbens

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by calbens »

Terry I'm glad I'm not the only one who has found that out. I only do 100 motorway miles a day and recently I've been trying to be a little less lead footed, but like you I got hemed in by lorries and then the odd to$$er in the outside lane, pulling into the middle lane only to slam there anchor on because they are about to come off the next jct any second :head: :devil: :twisted: :evil: Ghrrrr if only I was a copper :twisted:
texasjohn

BMW other

Post by texasjohn »

Some very good advice in this thread.

1. Only drive as fast as you can see to stop! Ok, sometimes this is not possible (blind 90 degree harpins) but most of the time it is possible to do this.

2. If you are flashed by a car on the motorway, pull over and let it past, especially if it is something relatively quick (or approaching fast). The chances are the driver will drop a gear to get past you quickly as a courtesy for your trouble and also in order not to make you reduce speed for, or get stuck behind, the next car ahead in lane 2... I never flash people in lane 3 if I can't get past them before they would have to slow for a vehicle ahead in lane 2.
550i Touring

MarkN

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by MarkN »

I ride a bike and ride about 35,000 miles a year on it, you'll be amazed at what I see everyday on the motorways etc.

I did my advance test a few years ago and learnt loads and was amazed that I've stayed alive so long!

Some advice that I would now give would be to read and understand the Highway Code, as my police examiner said "driving is like playing chess and not knowing what half the pieces do".

Also, if you find you're getting tailgated on the motorway and you can't move across because of traffic then slow down a bit and leave a larger gap between you and the car in front, if the car in front does stop or slow down quickly you can slow down slower giving the driver a chance not to hit you.

Years ago I was riding with a mate of mine here in Dorset and we had just overtaken a small car towing a large caravan, the driver didn't like the fact that we had overtaken him and as we were in heavy traffic and a solid white line system we couldn't make progress so the driver started to tail gate my mate at a very dangerous and close distance. My mate got totally cheesed off with this and on a straight bit of road he slammed on his brakes, it resulted in one of the funniest things I ever saw in my mirrors, the car stopped quickly but because the caravan was too big for the car it jack-knifed and then overtook the car swerving the van to the right and into the path of a very large lorry coming the other way which used the plastic box as a crumple zone. Result, holiday over for the grockles, and also a police charge for driving without due care and attention as he was driving too close when my mate had to stop quickly for the cat that had run out between him and me and then ran away in the chaos!

As a motorcyclist I would give the following advice to drivers;

Please use a life saver when changing lanes, a glance in the mirror just doesn't cover enough rear vision.

Please don't drive to the right of the lane when in slow moving traffic as this gives us a safer and easier passage to filter.

On a fast "A" road please don't pull over to the left to let a bike go by, we get showered in stones and cr@p from the side of the road, it's dangerous to overtake between oncoming cars and we have the power to safely overtake when the road is clear.

And finally, sometimes we bikers get it wrong and misjudge our overtaking chance and have to squeeze back into our side of the road, flashing your head lights at us doesn't do us any favours and we lose our vision at a time when we need all our senses at their best. We got it wrong, we know we have and we don't need blinding to remind us of the fact!! Blow your horn if you have too!

Stay safe everyone!

Cheers

Mark
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

MarkN wrote:On a fast "A" road please don't pull over to the left to let a bike go by, we get showered in stones and cr@p from the side of the road, it's dangerous to overtake between oncoming cars and we have the power to safely overtake when the road is clear.

I'm guilty of this. I'll just give the usual left indicator flick, but not move over.
Pingu
Wessex

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Wessex »

Just resurect the thread:

Learn from the mistakes of others - You don't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Look Ahead, Think Ahead, Plan Ahead

If in Doubt, Hang About.

If you are not sure if the gap is wide enough, and you ask yourself the question. then it probably isn't. Most cars in this country are of similar width; plus or minus 18 inches. If the gap between the obstruction and the approaching car, when compared to the width of the approaching, car are similar then hold back.

Always attempt to give a door's width when passing stationary vehicles.

Approach hazards preparing to stop but looking to go.

Interpret a flashed headlight as, "Look at me - See what I'm doing". Nothing more. Others may react to the flashed light and the flasher may not have intended it for you. Bikes or motor bikes travelling behind the car/van/lorry will not see the driver flash his lights and could over/undertake and straight into your path.

Peter
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

The already mentioned essential advice re being able to stop within distance you can see to be clear is recognsed by many albeit not adopted as best practice by some who should no better.

If adopting this golden rule for driving on unlit roads in darkness on dipped beams consider these questions :

1. How far ahead can you see with those dipped beam lights ?

2. Can you stop to avoid any static obstacle that might appear ?

I recently read that dipped beams pattern cause the max safe speed to drive at on unlit roads to just 45mph (so as to be able to stop within distance you can see to to be clear)...... A bit extreme perhaps but this had certainly made me think more when driving in such conditions & when considering fallen branches, displaced loads etc, ( though a scaffold pole in the carrageway would be likely to catch most folk out!)
Last edited by AW8 on Fri 06 Nov, 2009 20:59, edited 3 times in total.
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
Mike123

M roadster S50

Safe Speed

Post by Mike123 »

There is a very simple mathematical theory that states unarguably that all accidents happen at a particular location and at a particular time, therefore the least time you spend passing through that point the less likely you are to have that accident.
Thus 155mph (unless delimited) is the safest possible speed in all situations.
QED
Mike123

M roadster S50

Safety Tip

Post by Mike123 »

One other point - if you're driving like a Z3 should be driven, keep the side windows clean - you need to see where you're going.
AW8

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by AW8 »

Absolute Gems I'm sure : :roll:
Black Z3 2.2 & Black X5 4.4 Sport.
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

borrow or buy a copy of Mind Driving
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-Driving-Sk ... 1873371160
Mike123

M roadster S50

Safer Driving

Post by Mike123 »

One final point.
If you've kept the side windows clean, and are now starting to worry about the state of the back window - ease off a little.
**Z3**

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by **Z3** »

If your reading this you probably need to think about learning how to drive properly, then you won`t need tips!!

IAM - Institute of Advanced Motorists - will change the way you drive forever!!
MarkOliver

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by MarkOliver »

Always have a quick check in your mirror for parked cars on motorway entry slip roads…. :wink:
oakley6691

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by oakley6691 »

When you take your car to Euro Disney, don't get over excited and rush to get to the first ride without making a note of where you parked your car and then spend a couple of hours trying to find it in the dark!!!!!

It's embarrasing........so i'm told :D
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

oakley6691 wrote:When you take your car to Euro Disney, don't get over excited and rush to get to the first ride without making a note of where you parked your car and then spend a couple of hours trying to find it in the dark!!!!!

It's embarrasing........so i'm told :D
Been there... ...done that :oops:
Pingu
BristolZ3

Z3 roadster 2.8

speed awareness workshop

Post by BristolZ3 »

get nicked for speeding and go to a speed awareness workshop for a morning instead of getting 3 points.

Fantastic, entertaining, informative and really made me think about how easy it is to be a crap driver when you actually think that you are really good.