Need help with this bloody weather

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
dansutton

blank.gif

Need help with this bloody weather

Post by dansutton »

Hi all

I'm getting really annoyed with the rain. I don't have a garage and my Z is sat on our drive, the problem i have got is that I want to put my hardtop on anytime now. I put my car cover on last week when the rain came down really hard. Now my roof has a green mouldy tint to it and I don't know whats best for the roof as i need to clean it but just can't get it dry because of the bloody rain. Has anyone else got the same problem and is their any valeters in the bolton area(I don't mind travelling) that can clean/waterproof the roof and dry it out so that i can put the hardtop straight on?

Thanks in advance Danny. :cry:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Dan, the "mold" will not really do any harm in the short term.

You can use a good quality roof cleaner / proofer (such as autoglym c£20) to clean (which will remove the mold) and proof whilst it is still damp.

You could try buying some of the moisture absorbing pouches to leave in the rear roof compartment before you lower the roof (and also under both seats,I always do this with a convertable).

This would help absorb any dampness but as you say you need a few hours break in the rain to get dry enough to lower for the long term hardtop fitting. You should only need a few hours though, use a large cotton (eg towel) to absorb as much moisture as you can so it will dry quicker :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
dansutton

blank.gif

Post by dansutton »

cheers jonttt

i've had my z3 for 5 years and never seen the rain this bad all the time i've had it. I was just a bit worried if i lower the soft top whilst still a little damp, then come to take the hardtop off next year and the softtop being covered in really bad mould. What are/where do you get the moisture absorbing pouches from?

Thanks Danny.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Danny, just search google for Silica Gel. You can get more absorbant stuff they use in marine industry but its expensive and probably overkill for a Z3 :wink:

4 decent sized packs (under folded roof and one under each chair would be ideal). I've got some which are in bead form in black mesh bags, can't remember were I got them from though :dunce:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster