what is the best tyres for a z3m

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

what is the best tyres for a z3m

Post by S54James »

Ok

Money no object, what would be the best tyre to put on my z3m? mine is a s54 model. Currently I have Goodyear F1 tyres on it.

regards

Nick
S54James

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by S54James »

Hello again

I have had a quick look on the net, and michelen pilot sport looks like a good bet, just out of interest what was the original fitment on this model?

best regards

Nick
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

I think it's generally accepted that F1's are excellent so you should be OK with what you have. The latest F1's are asymmetrics. I had a pair fitted on the front recently replacing my F1 symmetrics & noticed an improvement although that is comparing old to new so not a fair comparison I guess.
Rave revues here; http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goody ... metric.htm
'High G' motoring enthusiast
mv70

M roadster S50

Post by mv70 »

F1' asymmetrics here too and I like em .
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi

F1's a great all-rounder

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Generally its F1s or PS2s -I prefer PS2s and wouldnt run on anything else at present. From memory they were the original tyres supplied on S54s
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
M_guy

M roadster S54

Post by M_guy »

Phil wrote:From memory they were the original tyres supplied on S54s
I don't believe that the PS2s were around in 2002 when the last S54 M Roadsters were built. I think that it was the original Pilot Sports (without the PS2 designation) that were used by the M's. These are the tires that have the "V" tread design which the PS2 tires no longer have.

Original Pilot Sport tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... ilot+Sport

New PS2s:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... +Sport+PS2

Baden
(Pilot Sport PS2 tires on my M Roadster)
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi

The originals tyres on ///M50 were Dunlop sports

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

I have Conti Sports on my ///MR. F1s will be fitted next time when all 4 are worn out.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
SP30

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by SP30 »

R888

Best mod you can do to a track/road car....trust me on this in a class of their own, and not as bad as you think in the rain, if you've never driven on them and money is no object...buy them... :D
Mike123

M roadster S50

Z3M Tyre Choice

Post by Mike123 »

It's a tough question, because there must be half a dozen contenders, and I doubt that anyone has really had the opportunity to carry out true comparisons.
Once you find a tyre that works you tend to stick with it.
I've only tried 3 tyres in 50k miles - the Dunlops that were fitted to the car when I bought it which were unpredictable, 2 sets of Kumho Ecsta KU15 which were a great improvement especially in the dry, and 2 sets of Falken 452s which I am totally happy with, and probably will stay with as long as they are in production.
I knew the Dunlops were poor from the outset, but didn't realise what I was missing in terms of wet grip with the Kumhos until I switched to the Falkens.
Maybe F1s or PS2s are better still, but I've not tried them.
My Alpina B12 has done 130k on nothing but Michelin Pilots, and I'll probably never try any other tyre because I have nothing to complain about.
I'm not sure money can ever be no object. I can probably afford to choose any tyre, at any price, but at £350 a set for the 452s I change them as soon as I sense any sort of reduction in wet grip, maybe with 4mm left (unless I decide to incinerate them on a track day!).
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

Picked up my ///M this weekend and tyres are currently dunlops on the front and pirelli's on the rear - needless to say I'll be switching to a full set of new tyres (Falken 452's) in the next couple of weeks as weather horrific at the moment. Faultless on my previous car and Event Tyres will do the 4 for less than £350 fitted with balancing. Result :D

Ps - details on the new car to follow :wink:
Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Spot on M_guy - they were Michelins but not PS2s. The original tyres had a much more aggressive looking tread pattern but were then superceded by the PS2
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Vredstiens and Flakens are also very good.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Murf

M roadster S50

Post by Murf »

Have heard nothing but good things about Vredestein tyres but when it's come round to new tyre time nowhere ever seems to have any stock in to give them a go :head:
'Yadi

M coupe S54

Post by 'Yadi »

I've got Michelin Sport PS2 on mine at the moment - seem to be a lot noisier than the Falkens were on my previous S50 - but can't fault them so far.
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

Murf wrote:Have heard nothing but good things about Vredestein tyres but when it's come round to new tyre time nowhere ever seems to have any stock in to give them a go :head:
http://www.camskill.co.uk/

Also very cheap. :D
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Original OEM tyres might have varied, but I know some of the older ones had Dunlop.

R888s are great dry/warmer weather tyres but not great in current conditions!
John Boy
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John Boy »

Murf wrote:Event Tyres will do the 4 for less than £350 fitted with balancing. Result :D

Ps - details on the new car to follow :wink:
Not in Lincoln :(

The Z4 has gone then?
John Boy
2.8 Z3
rhendo1

M roadster S52

Post by rhendo1 »

Toyo T1R's for me... had the Dunlops on when new then swapped for continentals (which I run on my R1 and are excellent) but I was recommended Toyo's by a good frined of mine and they have been amazing in the wet and dry. I am sure there will be forum members with ideas about all brands. It will all depend on how you drive and what you expect from your tyres. Evryone will be different...
Mike123

M roadster S50

Continental DWS

Post by Mike123 »

Keep an eye out for the new Continental Exteme Contact DWS tyre.

I've recently been driving a Chrysler 300 SRT8 (425hp) RWD with them in the US - snow, wet, dry - fabulous. I was thinking of winter tyres next October, changing back the following Spring, but I'm going to change to these if they are available in the UK.
c_w

M roadster S50

Re: Continental DWS

Post by c_w »

Mike123 wrote:Keep an eye out for the new Continental Exteme Contact DWS tyre.

I've recently been driving a Chrysler 300 SRT8 (425hp) RWD with them in the US - snow, wet, dry - fabulous. I was thinking of winter tyres next October, changing back the following Spring, but I'm going to change to these if they are available in the UK.
Could be wrong but we might not ever see that tyre over here as it's an all-season tyre which are favoured by Americans. Probably good for winter months but the dry summer performance can't be as good as a performance summer tyres that we're used to.
Zim

M roadster S52

Post by Zim »

+1 for the goodyear f1 asymmetrics

/Z