Advise please - is this a "real" BMW key fob

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
andylooney

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Advise please - is this a "real" BMW key fob

Post by andylooney »

Sorry for the crap pic.

Can anyone tell me if this is the key fob you got with the Z3

Only reason i ask is mine does'nt want to unlock the car. Have pressed buttons. held buttons and nothing happens. Although i can set the alarm off but it does;nt seem to want to unlock

Any ideas?

Thanks guys
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Certainly looks like one, though the BMW ones are usually much more in focus. :wink:

It is quite common for the separate fobs to lose sync with the car, particularly if they haven't been used for a while. First of all check the condition of the battery in the fob. There is a good thread on reprogramming the alarm to recognise the fobs here.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
andylooney

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by andylooney »

thanks for the reply.

Tried a few options and im stumped.

Looked at the BMW remote manual and tried that way.

Whats weird is.

if i'm in the car. i manually lock the car (finger on door pin) and on the remote i press the unlock button. i get a few "beeps" and it unlocks. But the RED lock button does not do anything?

Strange??? Anyone have an ideas? Or willing to come and show me what i'm doing wrong? (East Mids here)

Thanks
TREGZY

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by TREGZY »

fwiw, I dont have a fob, its all contained on the key.

that doesnt really help you, does it?!
E102, E104, E110 and E37
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

TREGZY wrote:fwiw, I dont have a fob, its all contained on the key.
Nor do I. AFAIK the integrated key/fob came in at the end of '98. Cars before that had the fob type alarm remote as shown above.

One thought - could be the button on the fob has seen its last - I think you can get replacement cases - I am sure someone on here replaced theirs a little while ago.

Cheers R.
andylooney

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by andylooney »

The lock button on the fob works. i get a little registered red led light on the fob to say it's pressed. I'll keep perciviering. Wondering how much an indy would charge to sort? hhmmmm
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Save your money. If it is just the button that is duff, then a new fob shell should fix the problem and shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

An example new case is here on ebay - please note that this is NOT recommendation for the seller - but it is the kind of thing you might be looking for.

If it is more than just the button that is bust - e.g. the circuit board is broken - then you may need to buy a complete new remote. Again this should be possible, but I'd be more wary about buying this on ebay. Others have bought them and got them to work successfully, so it is worth searching for "key and fob" on here and having a look through the four pages of threads for more info.

Cheers R.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

I brought one of the replacement case's from e-bay like Robert linked you to, but it is just a cosmetic fix as you have to use the circuit board from your old fob and if that has a problem then your no further forward. It sounds a bit like it needs re-syncing, there is a "how to do" post on here involving removing the glove compartment to get to the area where it is set from. I did ask at BMW what a replacement fob would cost and was quoted £35 plus 1 hour labour to sync it, but that was quite a few years ago
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

It is quite easy to re sync a replacement fob. I recently added a second fob from ebay and is easy following the guide. If you were near Banbury you could pop round mine and show you how it's done.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
andylooney

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by andylooney »

UPDATE

Looked in the manual and tried to sync the fob to the car.

Someow managed to half get it to work

If i lock the car with key. i can then press unlock and after a few seconds dorr pins raise up. BUT....... it's wont let me lock the car althoug when i press unlock i get 2 chirps and ten a longer beep (so sorta 3 beeps allogether)

Acording to the manual 3 beeps means either the trunk. doors or roof is open.

But all 3 are closed. I do hear a tear in the rear window that is taped up but i would'nt think this would cause the beeps? Any ideas?

Cheers
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

You can't lock the car if the driver's door is open. Maybe the door closed sensor is duff. Is the interior courtesy light working correctly or is it jammed on?

Also, the locks are slow to respond [1 second maybe as the alarm diasarms before popping the locks] but they should not be sluggish to operate. The pop up with a firm snap.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

andylooney wrote:UPDATE

Looked in the manual and tried to sync the fob to the car.

Someow managed to half get it to work

If i lock the car with key. i can then press unlock and after a few seconds dorr pins raise up. BUT....... it's wont let me lock the car althoug when i press unlock i get 2 chirps and ten a longer beep (so sorta 3 beeps allogether)

Acording to the manual 3 beeps means either the trunk. doors or roof is open.

But all 3 are closed. I do hear a tear in the rear window that is taped up but i would'nt think this would cause the beeps? Any ideas?

Cheers
Which manual are you looking at ? There is a 10 page Supplementary Handbook for the 3G EWS alarm. There are no instructions to sync the fobs in it (this is done from behind the glove box) only instructions to deactivate the alarm if the fobs are lost, using a code which is on a plastic "credit card" in a yellow envelope in my manuals folder. the longer bleep you hear is telling you some thing is open (faulty bonnet sensor maybe) Once the alarm is set the activating phase takes 35 sec before the system switches to surveillance mode