Wing Mirror Knightmare

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
woodywood

Z3 roadster 1.8

Wing Mirror Knightmare

Post by woodywood »

Hello all, I'm new here so please forgive me if there is an answer already to this querry that i've not found.

Kwik Fit have knocked my drivers side wing mirror off and BMW want to charge me £370 for a new one (base, mirror, wiring and spray) this seems a little top heavy but iv'e looked on the usual places like Ebay and can't seem to get a better result.

My question is can I use Epoxy Metal Putty on the mirror. I don't want to do it then take it on the M40 only for the mirror to fly off :) There is significant metal fatigue on both the mirror and the base which probebly dosent help.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Midsomer Mikey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Wing mirror nightmare

Post by Midsomer Mikey »

I would have thought if Kwik Fit broke it then
they should pay for it to be fixed
go and see the manager and kick up a fuss,
Even if the mirror was a little worse for ware they still broke it.
tomf84

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tomf84 »

Absolutely - if they knocked it off they (or their insurance) should pay for it.
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

Is this not something that Kwik Fit should deal with for you? :?

HT
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

As above, make quickfit pay for a new mirror - that way you can guarantee it won't fall off. :wink:

Price seems rather high - does that include fitting? I think the mirror can still be ordered in body colour as well as primered, so unless they can paint it for less or the body coloured ones aren't available, I'd get one ready done as parts only and fit it myself.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
woodywood

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by woodywood »

Thanks everyone, you are all right and yes Kwik Fit should be repairing it but it is taking time for them to come back to me as they don't know if they can do the work themselves (i don't think they want to pay the BMW price either)

would metal putty work as a short term solution, its gaffa taped at the moment which looks bloody awful!
tomf84

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by tomf84 »

I would suggest that if you start mucking around with it, Kwik Fit might well turn around and say they're not doing the work.
paulb1976

Post by paulb1976 »

Hi, I believe Ian Fraser is still the MD of Kwik Fit so politely mention to them that an email is on its way to the MD and then ask for the Shop supervisor address and tele no. so that you have a forwarding address for trading standards - Based on past experiance this gentle prod normally works :) - Garages that make a mess and then try to bail out get away far to easily in my book. :head:

Under no circumstances touch the mirror if you intend to make a third party claim.

good luck

Almost forgot take loads of pics for evidence
woodywood

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by woodywood »

big thanks tp everyone I will be back in contact with them again tomorrow Grrrr,
Happy easter all x
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The silver lining is you should get a nice new wing mirror without any "corrosion" :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
freds dad

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by freds dad »

Kwik Fit crashed my wifes Mazda 6 after they had taken it for a test drive after fitting new brakes!

They are paying for nearly £700 worth of work at the Mazda main dealer as I insisted it went there and not some back street body shop.
They are also paying £600 for damage done to the other car and there is also a claim for whip lash from the driver of the hit vehicle.

Make sure they your car is fixed at the main dealer and take nothing less. I will find the name of their insurance company if you need it.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

freds dad wrote:Kwik Fit crashed my wifes Mazda 6 after they had taken it for a test drive after fitting new brakes!

They are paying for nearly £700 worth of work at the Mazda main dealer as I insisted it went there and not some back street body shop.
They are also paying £600 for damage done to the other car and there is also a claim for whip lash from the driver of the hit vehicle.

Make sure they your car is fixed at the main dealer and take nothing less. I will find the name of their insurance company if you need it.
:shock:

There is just something about Kwik Fit that I would never touch them.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
woodywood

Z3 roadster 1.8

Post by woodywood »

agreed, never again with Kwik fit.

Fred's Dad, I hark from Macclesfield too:) took my boyfriend for his first tour of the Cat & Fiddle last time i was home, softy southerner that he is, he didn't like it.
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

I think if someone broke the mirror of my Z3 I'd go ever so slightly ballistic!