JOURNAL - Z3 Individual - Sold!

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Looks great Chris, well worth the effort :thumb:

What's next then?
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

3.0 Lakes Lee wrote:I like the look Chris, the car looks very "clean" if you know what I mean, it has great lines now with the aerodynamic pack and rims fitted.

No-ones commented on your "modded" filler cap yet!!!! :thumb:

:thumb:
Thanks Lee, it's your fault I've taken the car to this level. I was planning on leaving the modifying game and just running a nice standard car, then I saw photos of your car with the Aero kit fitted... my balance has gone down hill ever since... :evil: :lol:

As for the modded filler cap, this was something I did on my E36 and thought I'd carry over to the Z3. It might not be a great idea if you have fat fingers and dumpy finger nails, but works fine for me! :lol:
Jonttt wrote:Awesome Chris, watch those curbs though !

Will be interesting to see the difference with the rolled arches.

You planning to put the finished pics up on Bimmerforums (be "interesting" to see what Pangster has to say :roll: )

Your making me wanna go out and buy my forth wheel :D
I had the arches rolled today, they've just pulled the inner lip upwards slightly to prevent it from catching! It looks exactly the same from the outside.

The only downside to this is that it flaked some of the paint on the inner edge of the arch, it seems that the metal had started to oxidise behind the paint, there were signs of bubbling etc. I've rubbed it down very carefully as to not disturb the paint that is visible on the outside of the arch and touched it up with some Hammerite but it seems inevitable that I'll need to have both arches rubbed down and the rear quarters repainted when it goes in to have the front bumper and splitter painted.

At least it won't catch again now!
TitanTim wrote:Wow Chris, looks fantastic, I still love those alloys 8-) superb, only thing I would say is your a braver Zedder than I :lol: When I checked the Falken website I was worrying about fitting 225s on an 8.5" rim, but 215 on a 9" rim :shock: :lol: :D

Tim.
The first time I stretched tyres I was scared, even now I'm driving with the radio off and windows down... I'm so paranoid at any sound or feedback through the steering wheel! That'll settle after a few drives, now I just need to get the 4 wheel alignment done... this is turning into a money pit :(
shantybeater wrote:Holy shitbag that looks good! :shock:

Absolutely spot on and a bit of stretch adds to the look imo

Those wheels are something special as well, you are making me regret not getting some!!

That rear end looks so aggressive! dare I say it better than an M!
Thanks Shanty, I don't think it'll ever pull off the aggressiveness of the M's 4 pipes though...! I can't wait to see what you've got planned for yours, I'm guessing the LM's 8-)
Titan wrote:Chris you've done some great work and I really admire your photographic skills as well.
Have you considered losing the orange side lights and repeaters or deliberately kept then for contrast?
Either way it looks good :thumb:
Thanks! The orange side repeaters and marker lights are a bit of a personal fav. I changed my clears for them, there's something about the constrast that appeals to me, and very few others! lol. :lol:
TREGZY wrote:I thought i saw a spec of dust in the forth photo, but it was just an epithelial cell floating over my cornea - you car is VERY clean and typically yalden.
lol... the photos do it justice tbh, it's clean and has a great shine but I really need a DA polisher to remove the finer swirls!
myredzed wrote:Looks great Chris, well worth the effort :thumb:

What's next then?
Hamann replica front splitter... repaint front bumper, fit splitter. Then I can put down my tools and rebuild my savings account :lol:

Saying that, there's still some cosmetic work required... repaint rear quarter panels (again :roll: ), or just the inner lip - whatever needs to be done to remove some light corrosion bubbling behind the paint on the inner lip :(
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Performance/ Engine Cosmetics - Part 4
Spaced Out - 04/04/2010

As mentioned previously, with the AC's fitted I was unable to lower the front end sufficiently due to clearance issues relating to the front coilover struts.

I promptly ordered some 5mm hubcentric spacers from TPI:-

Click to enlarge

With the spacers fitted and a period of trial and error, coupled with a little trimming of plastic arch liner I managed to find a compromise that doesn't catch and allows me to tackle most of my local roads...

Click to enlarge

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Only you could get away with having a bra on, great pics :thumb:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Jonttt wrote:Only you could get away with having a bra on, great pics :thumb:
Thanks Jon, in honesty I'm still a little skeptical over the bra... I think it works to some extent - but not as much as I'd hoped!

I loved the bra on my E36 and friends VW's etc... the nostrils on the Z3 make it a tricky piece. I only put it on for the afternoon so it's back in the box now, until next time... :lol:
Rob Tan

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Rob Tan »

I am surprised that the bra looks that good. Like you I wouldn't leave it on all the time...thanks for posting the pics.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Stunning car, everything works..although i'm not a fan of the bra..but it serves its purpose
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Exterior - Part 19
Front End Finished - 04/05/2010

With the car being 90% complete it was time to carry out the remaining 8%; I'd be lying to say it's ever 100% complete because they'll always be the Hamann hardtop sitting somewhere on my to-do list.

The necessary work was largely located at the front end of the car, but there was some work to be undertaken elsewhere...

With the wheels mounted I found the car occassionally rubbed on the inner lip of the rear arches under load. The obvious solution involved rolling the rear arches, however having had this done some paint on the inner lip of the arch flaked off as a consequence, despite being touched up I was of immediate concern that unless painted properly this could cause problems further down the line... roll on the bodyshop...

I decided to book the car into Spectrum Body Repairs (Saltash, Cornwall - 01752 842220) to get both rear quarter panels painted, this would of course rectify the issues encountered on the inner lips that had recently been rolled.

Whilst in the bodyshop it made sense to get the remaining bodywork brought up to standard. This included painting the bonnet and the front bumper to relieve the car of all marks, scratches, stone chips etc and also to repaint the Z3M gills as the flushed M recess was beginning to show.

To push the boat out even further I thought I'd buy some sport mesh from BMW and a front splitter to mount on the base of the front bumper! I originally planned to get hold of a Hamann splitter, but being £360 and made from fibreglass I decided to pass and opted for the far more reasonable Reiger front splitter. Costing just over £100 and being made from plastic it made a far more suitable choice and in hindsight is just as nice as the Hamann splitter, if not better due to the fact it's bound to last a fair while longer!

To finish off the work being undertaken, I decided to purchase a new front number plate and remove the yellow lamin-x from the high beams - whilst I tended to like the look, I sometimes doubted my decision... not being 100% I decided to peel it off!

Click to enlarge

Image Image Image Image

Last edited by yalden on Thu 10 Jun, 2010 22:55, edited 1 time in total.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Looks good mate :) if you are running out of mods i'd really consider setting up an extra set of DTM style pipes in that bumper..it would look immense

Just out of interest what sort of extra outer clearance are you running over standard? I assume the standard z's have similar ET up front to the M? I'm messing with mine at the mo to see what I can get away with
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

[quote="yalden.........always be the Hamann hardtop sitting somewhere on my to-do list.
[/quote]

Your not the only one :wink:

re the quad pipes I know I might be on my own here but I don't think they would add anything to your car and would make it in danger of being another ///M wannabe.
Your car is a true "individual" without trying to be something it isn't. To me quad pipes on a beemer are now an ///M signature and would just give out the wrong message on your car ?

As always, looking forward to what you get up to next though :wink:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Its looking reallly nice 8-) can Iask how much was the sport mesh ?
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Top job as always Chris. Looks fantastic; when's the magazine article due out?
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

shantybeater wrote:Looks good mate :) if you are running out of mods i'd really consider setting up an extra set of DTM style pipes in that bumper..it would look immense

Just out of interest what sort of extra outer clearance are you running over standard? I assume the standard z's have similar ET up front to the M? I'm messing with mine at the mo to see what I can get away with
I can't remember what offsets my original 7.5J fronts were but the AC's are 9J ET32 with 5mm spacers (so equating to ET27).

You can calculate the difference between that and OEM Z3m wheels... I could go wider, likewise I could go with a lower offset - there's still clearance between wheel/arch and at present it doesn't catch at all, but of course my choice of tyres has helped!

I did purchase a second set of ACS CLS dtm tips, but sold them on as I decided against a quad exhaust as it'd pain me to cut the Aero rear bumper!
Tori wrote:Its looking reallly nice 8-) can I ask how much was the sport mesh ?
IIRC it was circa £35 from BMW
myredzed wrote:Top job as always Chris. Looks fantastic; when's the magazine article due out?
1 month today :wink:
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Interior Makeover - Part 11a
Carbon Hockeys - 14/05/2010

With the car being almost exactly where I want it, the only things that'll get done from here on out are elements of finer detail. I'd like to think there's a never ending list of such touches that can be made and here is the first... carbon fibre door hockeys... (interior door card trim)

(Click to enlarge)

Image Image Image Image

Fitted photos to come...

Last edited by yalden on Thu 10 Jun, 2010 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

mmm very nice, where did you get those from ?
knievil

M roadster S50

Post by knievil »

yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Cheers guys, as above I got the hockeys from Piotres, we negotiated a price which also accounted for him to have them stripped back down and wrapped professionally by a contact of his!

Next up I'll get my steering wheel tabs and passenger wing mirror switch blank wrapped!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Looking forward to seeing them fitted, they do look quality.

It was a pity about Piotres, he seems a really nice guy who I think overeacted to a genuine mistake on our part (me included). Of course Pangster loved it :roll:

You going to do the centre consol as well ?

I've often wondered if the Ac Schnitzer Carbon trim is still available, I may ask Rossiters.
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Jon... my centre console has already been done... it was the very first mod I carried out :lol:

Check page 1 8-)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Oops, Looking forward to seeing it all come together then :D
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Interior Makeover - Part 11b
Carbon Hockeys - 05/06/2010

I finally got around to fitting my carbon fibre door hockeys... they might only be a subtle touch, but I'm really happy with the overall outcome! They certainly help tie the centre console in with the rest of the interior!

Click to enlarge

Image Image Image

Image Image

Last edited by yalden on Sat 12 Jun, 2010 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
chris1984_99_99

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by chris1984_99_99 »

good god ive only just found this post and what can i say?.... this car....is stunning! can i leave mine with you for a few days and "just see what happens?" lol

That really is an amazing job, ive just looked through the entire thread and im sitting here in stunned silence :shock:
Last edited by chris1984_99_99 on Fri 11 Jun, 2010 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

looks good and contrasts well with the orange interior. I'm not usually a fan of the carbon look (exc. the roof of the e90) but it works well :)
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Looks good Chris
I like them - nice subtle contrast compared to "plain" black

I wonder if Marmite have ever considered carbon fibre spoons? :oops:
Image :devil:
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Thanks for the comments guys!
shantybeater wrote:...orange interior...
*Ahem* Arizona Sun :wink: :lol:
Titan wrote:I wonder if Marmite have ever considered carbon fibre spoons? :oops:
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Miscellaneous
Performance BMW Magazine Article - July 2010

I had a professional photoshoot approx. 5 weeks ago with Performance BMW Magazine, the article itself features in the July issue which hit the shelves last week!

I was particularly happy with the photos and of course the poster slot!

Don't settle for my scans, be sure to go buy a copy 8-)

Click to enlarge

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Well done Chris
I'm pleased for you - I think the car looks fantastic :thumb:
What happened to the on/off front number plate?
Image :devil:
marcusplowman

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by marcusplowman »

Cars lookin fantastic! Just bought the mag this afternoon but havnt got round to reading it yet...F1 Quali and Footie to watch first :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Well done Chris, I'll have to pick up a copy :rtm:
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Miscellaneous
Performance BMW Magazine Article - July 2010

Following the publication of my feature in Performance BMW I was sent a few free copies in the post, accompanied by a DVD containing a mountain of high resolution photos from the shoot.

I decided to sift through and pull out a few of my favourites for my journal...

Click to enlarge

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

ImageImage Image

Image Image Image

Miscellaneous
Bimmerflex 2010 Show & Shine Award - Sunday 4th July 2010

Whilst at Bimmerflex 2010 I decided to enter my car into the Show & Shine, after a brief review of the relevant prizes I soon realised that Z cars aren't particularly well-catered for, with there being only a small number of generic awards that might suit.

As a result I wasn't expecting to hear my name called out for the first award... Best Wheels of Show... but of course it was a credit to the hard work I put into getting all the parts collected and put together!

Following a brief photo with two trollops I was provided with a rosette, medal, certificate and Bimmerflex T-Shirt. Nothing too fancy, but something to hold on to!

Click to enlarge

Miscellaneous
Performance BMW Magazine Back Issues – August & September 2010

The publishers at Performance BMW Magazine used an extract from my photoshoot within their Back Issues advertisement page. It means nothing, but I couldn’t resist scanning a copy to keep within my journal!

Click to enlarge

Miscellaneous
Performance BMW Magazine ‘Bimmerflex 2010’ Show Report - September 2010

I was fortunate enough to spot my name and car in amongst the text and snapshots of Performance BMW Magazines Bimmerflex show report.

Click to enlarge

Miscellaneous
Performance BMW Magazine ‘BMW Festival’ Show Report - October 2010

Whilst thumbing through my October issue of Performance BMW Magazine I came to the BMW Festival show report! I took great delight in finding a couple photos of my car in the opening page of the review!

Click to enlarge

Miscellaneous
Performance BMW Magazine ‘Ultimate BMW’ Show Report - October 2010

Stop yawning… this is the last post of this ilk for the foreseeable future! I spotted ANOTHER photo of my car whilst reading through the Ultimate BMW show report within Novembers issue of Performance BMW Magazine!

Click to enlarge

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thats what you call waving the Z3 banner high and proud, well done :thumb:
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Thanks Jon, it also made a good excuse to update/bump my thread...!

2.20am - time for bed...!
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Perfect stance, I love this car. Hopefully one day i'll pull something off near as good

Congrats on all the features, I still think you should keep it. And I still think quad DTM tips would look amazing on that rear bumper! 8-) (with maybe an LS lump thrown in for good measure!)
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Nothing wrong with a showing off some well deserved recognition.

Your car looks fantastic!

Gaz
slacz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by slacz »

This is definitely one of my favorite Z's! :)
DrSasha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by DrSasha »

Great looking car. Really amazing.
Can you please give me your insight on the side skirts:

I understand the depth aspect, but are they any lower?
I want them withal any front or rear lip... Do you think it will work?
I've seen your photos from before the rear and front, but they were not side shits but angled ones.
Your advice would be very appreciated..

Thanks, Sasha.
yalden wrote:Exterior - Part 15
Aero Go Again - 28/03/2009

To kick start the weekend I was lucky enough to receive my BMW Aerodynamics package sideskirts this morning, all the way from Germany!

All that's left to order now is the Aerodynamics rear bumper and hamann front splitter! I may get the car in the bodyshop sooner though and get all the bits sat around sprayed and fitted; after all, I can fit the bumper/splitter myself at any given time.

I compared the skirts to the original items, it seems they are the same depth, however whereas half the depth of the original items is curved beneath the car and out of site, these flare outwards. They're probably going to add 1-2" of visual depth to the side of the car, and should help to make it stand out that little more!

(Click to enlarge)

Image Image Image

zedwheels

Z1 Alpina Roadster

Post by zedwheels »

Hiya Chris, amazing reading your journal what you have achieved must be
realy rewarding for your efforts.
Got an individual too but it dont look like yours! :bow
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

DrSasha wrote:Great looking car. Really amazing.
Can you please give me your insight on the side skirts:

I understand the depth aspect, but are they any lower?
I want them withal any front or rear lip... Do you think it will work?
I've seen your photos from before the rear and front, but they were not side shits but angled ones.
Your advice would be very appreciated..

Thanks, Sasha.
Sasha,

They flare out and therefore look much deeper, they sit level with the underside of the car so they appear lower than standard sills, which curve inwards. If you look at the underside of your standard sills you'll find some bolts which fasten them to your car, the Aero skirts attach in the same place but flare out from this point. I hope that helps?
zedwheels wrote:Hiya Chris, amazing reading your journal what you have achieved must be
realy rewarding for your efforts.
Got an individual too but it dont look like yours! :bow
Thanks, I still remember picking my car up when I first bought it... it was identical to yours! I loved it just as much then as I do now :)
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

I'm a little behind with upates; although there isn't an awful lot to report!

I think I have a couple more scans of my cars sneeking its way into magazines and perhaps a few minor changes to the car itself.

The most obvious of which will be the new winter wheels! Many people say it can't be done without serious arch work, I bet to differ.

Excuse the turd photos... it was wet and dark...

Image Image Image
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Your winter wheels are in better nick than my summer ones... :D
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

Love it Yalden, definitely in my top 5 Zeds
we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

yalden wrote:I'm a little behind with upates; although there isn't an awful lot to report!

I think I have a couple more scans of my cars sneeking its way into magazines and perhaps a few minor changes to the car itself.

The most obvious of which will be the new winter wheels! Many people say it can't be done without serious arch work, I bet to differ.

Excuse the turd photos... it was wet and dark...

Image Image Image
very nice, still can't find the turd though :lol:

The 'BEAST' 666
DrSasha

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by DrSasha »

Love it. I also ordered a set of these winter wheels.
What tire sizes?
Running any spacers up front?

Please share rear photos and 3/4 to get the idea of poke and camber.

Again, love what you did to the car!!!
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Looking good mate :) very tidy
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

GazHyde wrote:Your winter wheels are in better nick than my summer ones... :D
The photo does them justice in truth! I'd rate them as 80% condition, which is perfectly acceptable to me considering they're my wineter wheels!

I got them locally, they came with approx. 5mm tread tyres for £300 all in.
spurs fan in a coupe wrote:Love it Yalden, definitely in my top 5 Zeds
Thanks - I have lost a lot of the love I once had for it, but a good Insp. 2 service and the new wheels have helped to ignite some enthusiasm. I have a check list of things to sort;

- Bubbling around boot lock
- Bubbling on lower edge of o/s/f wing
- Stone chips on splitter
- New bonnet badge

That lot should see it looking fresh again and ready for another year of fun!
DrSasha wrote:Love it. I also ordered a set of these winter wheels.
What tire sizes?
Running any spacers up front?

Please share rear photos and 3/4 to get the idea of poke and camber.

Again, love what you did to the car!!!
Front tyres - 205/40/17
Rear tyres - 205/45/17

I currently have no spacers out front, however in the ideal world it'd probably look better with a pair of 15-20mm spacers.

I'm attending a SW BMW meet next Sunday so should have more photos then!
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

yalden wrote:I'm attending a SW BMW meet next Sunday so should have more photos then!
Are you talking about the Pistonheads Sunday service? I'll be there :)
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

shantybeater wrote:
yalden wrote:I'm attending a SW BMW meet next Sunday so should have more photos then!
Are you talking about the Pistonheads Sunday service? I'll be there :)
Nope! Just a local BMW meet arranged on www.bmwowner.com 8-)
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: JOURNAL - Z3 Individual - U/D 30/10 Performance BMW Arti

Post by yalden »

Anyone want to buy a bargain Z3 2.0? :D
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Just discovered this thread! Very nice car, I'm sure you'll sell it very quickly!
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

yalden wrote:Anyone want to buy a bargain Z3 2.0? :D
How much do you want for it?
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal