Z3 Supercharged

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

ok, here are some of the pictures if anyones interested

M44 clutch against m3 3.0 clutch, improved surface area for a bit more friction and ultimate grip

old dual mass flywheel, way to heavy !!!

new lightweight chromoly steel m3 solid flywheel in place in the back of the engine.
note it has the same bold pattern and ringgear diameter as the m44.

and now with the plate and cover in position

so an easy upgrade al in all to an m44 that needs more friction in the clutch department !!

basically an 8 bolt m3 flywheel and clutch (3.0) as the 3.0 version uses the same release bearing and arm
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

big bore exhaust

Post by markrnorton »

finally got the laser cut exhaust flanges back from the fab shop. also picked up the flexible couplings too.

flanges look great and perfectly accurate to the drawings i gave them

this is the manifold downpipe flange

needs the 2.5" collector welding to it as a starting point for the exhaust system

once the gearbox is back on at the weekend, i'll start tacking these parts together to form my new 'free flow' exhaust system

when i'm happy with it , i'll seam it all up.
Last edited by markrnorton on Wed 02 Dec, 2009 08:21, edited 1 time in total.
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Ok, i've been busy today getting the gearbox, starter and clutch slave in.

The M3 clutch fitted in ok, the gearbox was pushed back into place and that starter !! who thought of putting a starter there. Jeeze its tricky getting that bolted up.

Changed the oil in the gearbox oil as well today, the old oil was black so i guess the nice new fresh castrol will do it some good.

Removed the old M44 clutch slave cylinder, seal went trying to push the new M3 clutch, so it must have been on its way out i guess

Bought an M3 (E36 3.0) clutch slave as well today, fitted it with the earls braided line and bled it out. works great on the M44 engine, nice and smooth on the pedal now.

So just for the record the M3 clutch slave has a slight bore increase over the M44 cylinder, making the clutch operation lighter, which is just as well because its still heavier than the original M44 clutch

Onto completing the exhaust over the next week
Still modifying
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Good progress Mark, thanks for keeping us up to date 8-)
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Exhaust is now in progress, i have started a new thread on the pipe as it could be used on a 'normal' Z3 !! :lol:
Still modifying
BenZ3-2.0

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by BenZ3-2.0 »

cant wait to see what power she finally makes...good work!
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

run the exhaust up to break the cat in, done that ok but there is now a water leak or problem with the pump/thermostat. need to sort that next as well as finishing the pipe

got to route the second lambda sensor cable through into the car, anybody run cables through the bulkhead or gearbox tunnel ??

still single box on the exhaust sounds good, only loud right at the top end of the revs

and with new flywheel it seems to rev a bit quicker now, good pickup off the throttle
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Well sorted the water leak, i think. It was indeed the thermostat jammed shut, caused the hight pressure and hot hose.
Changed the stat, re-filled the system and found the over heat and pressure had split the head tank on the radiator .

Bugger !
Got a new radiator fitted now, re-filled the system with coolant, have started or bled the system yet as i am still finishing the exhaust. I tried starting it but the noise was toooo much !

I have finished the manfiold downpipe now, got that mounted and re-fixed with the cars lambda sensor replaced with a new one. just have to mount the wideband lambda and datalogger now, and run the cables into the cabin

Not 100% with the exhaust at the back after the cat now.

I have hatched a mad plan to run with a side exit pipe, i think its possible.

watch this space :)
Still modifying
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

markrnorton wrote:
I have hatched a mad plan to run with a side exit pipe, i think its possible.

watch this space :)
I think that might make your zed truly unique. Never heard of another with a side exit exhaust. Looking forward to seeing the results Mark. It should certainly turn some heads on the Santa Pod strip next year :P
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
markrnorton

Other roadster

Wiring gauges

Post by markrnorton »

Ok

Finished the exhaust finally, and now started on the interior electrics

I HATE ELECTRICS !! and threading cabling through fiddly places

Got 2 gauges to fit in

1) Wideband lambda with data logger
2) digital boost gauge

managed to find a cable route through the gearlever rubber shroud, so threaded both through and under the car, but within the trans tunnel insulation.

cant plug in the O2 sensor yet as it has to go through a calibration routine first time round in ambient air. once thats done it can get screwed into welded socket in exhaust.

got the pressure sensor for the boost gauge fitted ok, and the cabling threads down the LHS of the car, through the insulation as well.

this will also need primary calibration to allow for relative sea level ! this is a very accurate gauge, not looking forward to setting either of them up really. but the accuracy will be most usefull

also got the up and download leads accessable underneath the ashtray. so this will be an easy plug-in to the laptop.

got to mount the gauges now in a half sensible place, not looking forward to cutting the dash/console as i dont want to make any mistakes.
Still modifying
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Wiring gauges

Post by Ian_C »

markrnorton wrote: got to mount the gauges now in a half sensible place, not looking forward to cutting the dash/console as i dont want to make any mistakes.
Wouldn't an ///M centre console do the job? The gauge apertures take standard 52mm gauges.
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Gauges aren't all 52mm, the AFR gauge is, but the boost gauge is rectangular. You can just see it in the picture to the right of the 52mm gauge

so basically not going to use an M console, will have to sympathetically cut the standard console (unless anybody wants to donate one for automotive medical science :lol:
Still modifying
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

I have the console surrounds for sale at the mo ;)

Car looks good, very interested to see what it ouputs

side exit exhausts rock too :)
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Still working through the cabling and connections. Its getting better i think.

Soldered most of the connections to the car now and threaded most of it into its correct locations.

Innovate data logger has 6 connections
AFR gauge has 5 connections
boost gauge has 6 connections

managed to tuck the data logger to the right of the gear lever, it fits there perfect, result

and now as you can see, started putting the switches back and calibration button and lamp by the car alarm led. looks ok

going to put the boost gauge where the clock goes and will leave enough space for the future fuel pressure gauge above (same style gauge)

onward and upward !
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Now i have a bit of time again i have been working on the Z again.

Its back on the floor again !! first time in 3 - 4 months.

but it is a bit dusty

got the lambda sensor calibrated at long last, it took a while as the gauge and data logger had to be correctly wired up. Done this, got the button and led placed in the console and also the gauge.

the lambda has to be calibrated out of the pipe in clean air, then screwed into the pipe. this took a while, but once done i found the cabling from the sensor was a bit short, so i ended up drilling a hole in the transmission tunnel to feed it through to the logger. Job done . and it all works !!

it goes through a 30 second warm up phase then reads super accurate from then on and data logs.

also bought the non return valve for the air line to the injectors from BMW at the weekend. using a brake check valve from a mini !!

on the n/a m44 the injectors breathe back and forth to the inlet side of the engine, before the throttle body. this is not so good when boosted as it can bleed boost back, loosing pressure. the NRV fits into the air line stopping the bleed back and increasing boost, or rather not allowing it to loose boost. not sure how much yet, by all accounts its around 0.5psi
this may sound a small amount but it may account for around 5hp. we shall see.

exhaust sounds great , and the new M3 clutch is sharp !! we will see how much difference the new lightened flywheel will make soon.

:)
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

I tried to set up the boost gauge last night and failed miserably, super tech instructions not good after work.

i have re-read them now and i think i see where i went wrong.

will have another go later today.

keen to get this all finished now, everytime i start it the exhaust sounds better and better, it might just be me though !!!

the clutch is super fierce though. no slack now.

will need to get a fuel pressure gauge next to monitor the fuel rail under boost conditions.
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

these are the instruction to the gauge

nice
Still modifying
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

By the sound of it, it will double as a weather station - very handy for predicting if the weather will be suitable for zedding without leaving the garage. :lol:

Doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me - was it translated from chinese by any chance?

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

Good luck with that one! Written in Chinglish i think......Enjoying the updated though. Thanks.
I used to have a '97 2.8 Z3 50k FOR SALE £4699 Shorter 'M' Cup Sport gear knob,M Steering wheel, Alpine / Infinity audio, 18" Alpina style wheels, Clear indicators all round, cold air feed and modified airbox. Miss April in the '09 Calendar.
ImageImage
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

No !! it is in english english, well from the states, so sort of close !!

figured it out and it works a treat now, extremely sensitive. set it to read psi to start with, then it read 14.4psi with the engine off, so pretty much correct at atmospheric pressure. made the correction for atmos pressure and it now reads 0psi with engine off.

re-set the high recorder as well so i can recall peak boost. i'm going to test this first before i fit the NRV to the injector line, see how much boost it gains.

this is the finished console. just need the fuel pressure gauge now.

Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Exhaust

Post by markrnorton »

this is the look from the back with the exhaust finished. i still have to re-fit the undertray.

exactly how i wanted the silencer, high up so you cant see it from the rear.
just need to finish around the rear pipe, it looks small on its own but it is 2.5" all the way through with ground clearance of approx 100mm. i am hoping this will be ok. if not i might have to skid plate it.

a bit of finishing and we are close to another dyno run.

i am keen to see what these mods have done to the power output

re-cap
lightened flywheel with M3 3.0 clutch
NRV in injector line
2.5" straight through exhaust with single box
200cell sports cat convertor
Still modifying
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Exhaust

Post by skeete »

markrnorton wrote: i am keen to see what these mods have done to the power output
I hope you have a 3.0 beating car there, plus the supercharger noise must be amazing fun. A lot of work and dedication and you are getting it ready just in time for what looks like a great summer..
Dolfan

M roadster S50

Post by Dolfan »

Great work look forward to seeing the end result. Any chance of a sound clip of the exhaust note :)
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

bit of a scare wth the cooling system , but i'm going to give it a bit of a blast soon and a good run. see if that clears the mayo on the cap. i till think the lower hose is a bit cool but, we'll see.

what has come out of fitting the boost gauge is its down on boost (on what it should be making). it recorded peak boost of 6.5 psi, should develop 7.5psi.
this is good and bad.

bad that there must be a leak somewhere, i am guessing the injector breather lines are leaking more boost than they should. i will fit the NRV to the air line to confirm this over the weekend.

good because it made 208hp at 6.5psi last time on the rollers . once i get it upto 8-9psi (my target) it should make a fair bit more power. i am guessing another 20hp.

i hope to hit my target of 230hp. it certainly picked up quick this morning with the new flywheel.

I also got the afr data logger hooked up to my laptop, it works a treat, realtime logging, i am definately going to go for the opentune option to log more parameters.

modifiying cars is a labour of love !!
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Exhaust video

Post by markrnorton »

a few people on here have been asking for a video/soundbite of the exhaust.

here it is

hope it works.

i think its too loud when peaking so i will fit another slim centre box soon
Still modifying
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

Nice work Mark.. Certainly sounds racy !

I really think it depends on what sound you are going for. At the moment it is very metalic a sound so belies the power of the car to some extent.

I reckon if you could you could tone down the metalic sound to something more akin to a BMW and more "throaty"

I know its no comparison but here is an awesome sounding exhaust on a Mustang 3.5
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/hh29 ... GT140T.flv

Please dont take this as criticism as your car and what you have done to it is amazing, there is no right or wrong its just down to your own opinion at the end of the day and as long as when you drive it you get that feeling James May gets in his crotch then you are on to a true winner !
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Skeete

i know what you mean, i think the stainless piping contributes to the sound considerably, the capacity of the engine also adds to it. i will indeed add another silencer. the video clip doesnt do the sound full justice but it was done on my mobile, best i could do.

the sound changes when the second throttle butterfly opens. you cant even hear the supercharger now !!
Still modifying
Rob13

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Rob13 »

I like the metallic sound - it is much better than the echoey (?) drain pipe sound you get with some stupidly large bore exhausts. I think it is a more authentic 'racy'/'modified' sound.
I used to have a '97 2.8 Z3 50k FOR SALE £4699 Shorter 'M' Cup Sport gear knob,M Steering wheel, Alpine / Infinity audio, 18" Alpina style wheels, Clear indicators all round, cold air feed and modified airbox. Miss April in the '09 Calendar.
ImageImage
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Mark Norton = Legend
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Kind of you to say Stu, but don't you mean leg end !
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

i was busy with the car on saturday, taxed and went for a blast.

this highlighted a couple of problems.

firstly, the top hose was still too hot compared with the bottom hose
secondly, it meant remedial work !

changed the plugs, i think they were the originals as they have BMW stamped across them. burning a little lean maybe, but its richer now as i have increased fuel pressure to the injectors (i had it mapped) but i have mechanically tweeked it up as well via the RRFPR.
(I had been watching the AFR whilst driving, well a friend did.)
went for a grade colder on the plugs too

Plugs old and new copper type

then the pesky water hoses. if in doubt whip it out, so thermostat off again and water pump out. this takes only a few minutes when you have no viscous fan to contend with

both looked ok, but i bought a new water pump just to be sure, not expensive and has the metal impellor

new pump in and thermostat out (of housing) . so running without a stat. i know some people dont recommend this, but with the increase in engine temps i thought i'd try it. if it ran cold i would put it back.

went for a 20 miles blast, bled the air out of the water system, all perfect. upto normal temp pretty quick and stayed there. electric fan only came on once , and that was on my drive after the blast.

the car is much sharper now on pickup and making 7psi. i will order a new pulley this week
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

latest upgrades

Post by markrnorton »

Latest upgrade update !

I have ordered my new smaller supercharger pulley from the states, i should get this next week. Gone for the 3.4" down from te standard 4" pulley

The car should then make 10psi of boost once this is fitted

Alos got my new centrebox silencer, will try and fit it/cut into the system this weekend. i am hoping it will make it a bit quieter and less saucy

Final upgrade for this week is a larger throttle body.

Found a guy near where i work in Chelmsford who puts these together.

Main butterfly is 2.5mm larger and am told with the additional work gives 15% increase on the flow bench.

Standard

Big Bore

nice

a worthwhile upgrade i hope, with all the other bits !!
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Exhaust silenced ! - sort of

Post by markrnorton »

Ahhhh - i can hear again !!

had a bit of a morning with the Z yesterday. Fitted the new large bore throttle body. Dead easy
I did however replace all those nasty torx bolts with stainless button cap heads, much nicer.

Tweeked the throttle cable to suit the new butterfly, perfect !!

As you may know the exhaust i fabb'd was a trifle noisy, so it had to be silenced.

Had the grinder out again,ready for surgery, off with the centre part of the exhaust and cut the flange off the cat.

Welded the new silencer to the cat and the flange i cut off. new box is 300mm by 100mm dia, so not huge, but enough to take out some of the harsh frequencies.

A quick bit of surgery to the rear section and et voila ! fits nice and hangs perfect

Starting up it is far more civilized, until you floor the throttle , its still loud, but not harsh. Drivable around town again without scaring children and old ladies !!

I have notice the rear pipe is a bit close to the valance, melting part of it.
will need to sort this at some point in the near future

Well close to final completion, just waiting for the new supercharger pulley. then back on the dyno for a final session.

next week maybe, and i might be at the santa pod RWYB next weekend

fingers crossed
Still modifying
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Exhaust silenced ! - sort of

Post by Ian_C »

Great work Mark :thumb: Looking forward to seeing your zed in action at the BMW Show at Santa Pod in September.
markrnorton wrote: I have notice the rear pipe is a bit close to the valance, melting part of it...

will need to sort this at some point in the near future
I'm sure a man with your metalwork skills could manufacture a metal plate to protect the cutout :wink:
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
skeete

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by skeete »

This thread is FULL of WIN !!!

Great work Mark..
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Modify the hanger bracket for the back box!
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

stu wrote:Modify the hanger bracket for the back box!
Oerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sounds painful? :D
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Stu

already have, not using the original hangers, i welded in new ones as i wanted the box high. just didnt account for the pipe getting that hot

already got a plan !!
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Yea ha, got the new supercharger pulley today from the US. only took about 10mins to swap out.

Should increase boost, not sure by exactly how much as i havent had a chance to take it out for a spin yet.

still, will tomorrow, and will top up the petrol with some fresh stuff, tank has the stale stuff still in from over the winter.

i'll give it a run and then run it upto AMD and have another dyno run done, just to check AFR against my gauge and a final power run.
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Well had another power run and AFR check done . AFR was a bit lean so we increased the fuel pressure to the rail, this helped out and increased torque slighty.

With the new pulley the charger is making 9.6psi of boost at max rpm, so thats not a bad increase. Its basically sitting right at the edge of the envelope for the standard injectors and intake charge temp.

The car is getting pretty hot though now, especially after continuous boosting. Intake charge temp is a bit high. Might have to go water injection.

Still, ended up with 202lb/ft of torque at 5300rpm and 226bhp. So close to my target of 230hp.

One thing, strangely enough, that came out of the session, the guys reacon the Simota is holding the car back, they have tested a few back to back on turbo cars and found changing to an ITG filter gained significant hp. :head:

N/A cars simota is fine, Forced Induction demands alot more air, so i guess i will be looking for a new air filter now.
Still modifying
Daz2626

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Daz2626 »

Mark, have you got a competition head fitted? I'm in a thinking stage at the moment for my M44
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Standard head and cams at present. I was thinking of this myself over this winter, I need to get the charge temp down first otherwise it will be a waste.

On a N/A car with cams and ported head etc you should see some gains, but cams and new followers are pricey
Still modifying
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Mark, best way forward might be a chargecooler?
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Chargecooler won't fit with the supercharger I have, it will have to be meth or water injection to the inlet manifold .
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Simota air filter replaced with ITG JC60, as recommended, slightly smaller in physical size but draws better airflow for supercharger.

Just need to devise a heat shield to stop heat soak from engine bay. you can see the cold air feed in the picture above !!

Also need to replace the inlet air temp sensor, not quiet sure where to site it yet.

Makes a different noise to now, especially once the charger builds boost.
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Been out and about over the weekend and have the following observations:-

Holy moly !!!!!!!

1. The ITG air filter flows significantly more than the simota, it pulls harder and quicker in all gears, especially 1st and 2nd. I will get it dyno'd again soon, but it feels totally different, it sounds amazing too !!

2. The stainless exhaust is TOOOOOO LOUD, its ok in short bursts, but it must be my age, its too much. I have a backup pipe i will be fitting next week sometime to keep my ears intact.

I managed to put the inlet temp sensor at the top of the cold feed pipe, seems to work well there.

Still need to fit a heat shield.
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Ok, fitted the backup exhaust 2 weeks ago, and it was also to loud, its not my week !!

So now i decided to start again. i ripped the old exhaust off right back to the cat/manifold.

this time i have offset the centrebox from the cat to help centralise it down the tunnel. Moved it over by approx 1inch. this has helped alot.

nice offset has worked a treat

the existing silencers are glass packed and work on absorption of sound, i thought i'd change tack this time and go for a baffle box at the end. an american box, Flowmaster, uses baffles to reflect the sound and cancel soundwaves/frequencies.

Now for the tricky bit, mount, cut, tack, remove, weld, repeat.

will take some tim to get this correct again, want to be totally happy this time. I made sure i have enough 2.5" stainless bends and offsets :lol:

lets hope this time its a trifle quieter ... ie less than 107dba
Last edited by markrnorton on Wed 14 Jul, 2010 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Still modifying
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Bugger... i thought i was quite handy after fitting the cold air mod to my filter box... But you are in a different leauge!!!! :shock:

Looks a great project, bet you get alot of satisfaction from doing it :wink:

Keep up the good work :thumb:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

Well the flowmaster delivered the low end rumble but at high rpm it screamed 118dba. my ears bled !

re-work again

He shoots he scores !!

Exhaust re-work number 4 or is it 5 ? !

well after a new pipe arrangement, baffle box, with some additional wadding and some carefull hammering (joke)

105.1dba

we are there. now for a final road test, get it warm and a quick blast to check all is well.
Still modifying
Bouldy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bouldy »

You must love welding !!!! 8-)