Ever considered a Heart Transplant for your Z?

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Ever considered a Heart Transplant for your Z?

Post by stu »

If so, what do you reckon to this?

I could be tempted if it was a bit cheaper, but I think £5k's a bit steep as it will come as seen and no warranty of any sort.
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

At £4k I would be tempted and take a punt, but £5k is too much
would the Z chassis take that sort of power ?? Might be just ott
Still modifying
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Funny you should post this tonight. I was only thinking this evening about transplanting an ///m engine into my facelift 2.8 and what it would entail. I prefer the facelift look and would end up with a one off facelift ///m power Zed mmmmmmm :D
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

My M engine will be for sale in a few months. It will be complete with ancillaries, gearbox, harness and controller. If anyone wants it all make me an offer.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Hang_em_high wrote:Funny you should post this tonight. I was only thinking this evening about transplanting an ///m engine into my facelift 2.8 and what it would entail. I prefer the facelift look and would end up with a one off facelift ///m power Zed mmmmmmm :D
i know someone in greece that's done a 1.9 (late pre-facelift) to 3.0 and also another guy that's done a 1.9 to 3.2 (M) conversion... the latter case required lots of parts (including front suspension & electrics) so wasn't a simple case, the former case was pretty much plug-and-play though...

I've been considering a 2.8 (facelift) to 3.0 conversion... same fuel economy, better HP plus lower emissions... would it be worth it? My engine only has 30K on it tho.
wwwwOOOff!!!
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

komis wrote:
Hang_em_high wrote:Funny you should post this tonight. I was only thinking this evening about transplanting an ///m engine into my facelift 2.8 and what it would entail. I prefer the facelift look and would end up with a one off facelift ///m power Zed mmmmmmm :D
i know someone in greece that's done a 1.9 (late pre-facelift) to 3.0 and also another guy that's done a 1.9 to 3.2 (M) conversion... the latter case required lots of parts (including front suspension & electrics) so wasn't a simple case, the former case was pretty much plug-and-play though...

I've been considering a 2.8 (facelift) to 3.0 conversion... same fuel economy, better HP plus lower emissions... would it be worth it? My engine only has 30K on it tho.
My engine has also only done 30k but would recoupe a large chunk of money when sold on. You would have to factor in the cost of strengthening the rear diff mount/floor pan,upgrade brakes and suspension etc etc. Would cost quite a bit I imagine but would benefit from having a facelift ///m.
Cant really see the point of transplanting a 3.0l lump into a 2.8 when you can buy a facelift 3.0 :?
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Deano1712 wrote:My M engine will be for sale in a few months. It will be complete with ancillaries, gearbox, harness and controller. If anyone wants it all make me an offer.
Thinking of something LS?

:twisted:
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

stu wrote:
Deano1712 wrote:My M engine will be for sale in a few months. It will be complete with ancillaries, gearbox, harness and controller. If anyone wants it all make me an offer.

Where have you been Stu ?

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23897
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

My baby son's 6 months now, that's my excuse for missing some threads.

Thanks for pointing it out.
komis

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by komis »

Hang_em_high wrote: Cant really see the point of transplanting a 3.0l lump into a 2.8 when you can buy a facelift 3.0 :?
True, sadly though the market in greece is pretty different from the UK, higher capacity engine cars are relatively rare here due to over-taxation. I'd have a really hard time sourcing a 3.0 here (particularly one with the extended leather option, which I really like on my current car).
wwwwOOOff!!!
fok

M coupe S50

Post by fok »

stu wrote:

I've got an LS1 powered Coupe..........It's nippy.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/conversio ... coupe.html
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

Ah, another one - Snatch's car had me dribbling and when I saw it at the pod it was very impressive to look at, but had some issues with the mapping to sort. I asked Rich to give me first refusal if he sells!

How's yours running? Mapping all sorted?

The RX7 certainly ran well, as did the Cerby with the longer WB, able to get much more traction it appears, not the Z's ideal suit really, being so short.
fok

M coupe S50

Post by fok »

stu wrote:Ah, another one - Snatch's car had me dribbling and when I saw it at the pod it was very impressive to look at, but had some issues with the mapping to sort. I asked Rich to give me first refusal if he sells!

How's yours running? Mapping all sorted?

The RX7 certainly ran well, as did the Cerby with the longer WB, able to get much more traction it appears, not the Z's ideal suit really, being so short.
Yes, mine's mapped now, although live mapped for the street. It would still benefit from top end mapping on the dyno and I've yet to get a power figure.

You're absolutely spot on regarding the wheelbase, it caught me out a few times on a wet track day :)

Rich's motor is crazy overkill and gone 7.0 litre with a stroker kit now!

I will just be ordering a large dose of driving talent before any further tuning!
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

The wheel base of the Z3M is exactly the same to the mm as the RX7 in length, I personally think the Z's handle the power very well. Unless your on a drag strip or track you drive on the torque not revs.
I challange anyone to have a ride in mine and tell me that it does not drive as easy as any standard car even a 1.9. It really is a pussy cat.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

All this LS talk is getting me itching to get started fitting mine. For info mine is going to be standard LS376/480 spec with a factory controller kit and drive-by-wire throttle :D
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
snatch

M roadster S50

Post by snatch »

Anytime you want to look at mine for idea's ... your welcome.. like i said craig will make a kit for for you to fit yours no probs... 0121 753 0415
fok

M coupe S50

Post by fok »

[quote="snatch"]Anytime you want to look at mine... your welcome.

Dogging again mate?
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Post by stu »

fok wrote:You're absolutely spot on regarding the wheelbase, it caught me out a few times on a wet track day :)

I will just be ordering a large dose of driving talent before any further tuning!
:roflmao:

Good quote!

The Z has the worst lift off oversteer I've ever come across to be honest, but actually is very stable and balanced under throttle.