Which model Z3 should I buy !!!

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Springer

Z3 roadster 2.0

Which model Z3 should I buy !!!

Post by Springer »

Hi,
I need help from all you experienced Z3 owners.
I want to buy a Z3, which model should I buy?.
I have seen a very nice 1.9 2001 model advertised for about £5000, but I have also seen advertised many early 1.9's for around £3,500, or should I go for 6 cylinder model?. :shock:
So much to learn and so little time to learn it in!!!! :?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Which model Z3 should I buy !!!

Post by TitanTim »

Springer wrote:Hi,
I have seen a very nice 1.9 2001 model advertised for about £5000, but I have also seen advertised many early 1.9's for around £3,500, or should I go for 6 cylinder model?. :shock:
Hi Springer, welcome to the forum, :lol:

I guess a few things to consider whether you go for a 4 or 6cyl Zed and whether pre or post facelift, Obviously the one you have seen is a facelift so the same as mine being a 1.9, I personally find the 1.9 fine, handles great, reasonably econmical although probably not that much more than the 6cyl model, insurance is cheap and servicing reasonable, all these will be more costly with the larger engined Zeds. Having said that the Zed isn't my daily driver or is accasionally so more of a hobby car, if it was my daily driver or only car then I probably would have gone for the 2.2 6cyl purely as probably the best alrounder. As I say just personal preferences, I would stick with a facelift if you can, later the better, plus the hood is slightly better on the facelifted Zed. I would also try for a Sport than a standard zed, lower stance, shapely seats, other bits n pieces etc.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
groove65

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Which model Z3 should I buy !!!

Post by groove65 »

TitanTim wrote:
Springer wrote:Hi,
Hi Springer, welcome to the forum, :lol:

I guess a few things to consider whether you go for a 4 or 6cyl Zed and whether pre or post facelift, Obviously the one you have seen is a facelift so the same as mine being a 1.9, I personally find the 1.9 fine, handles great, reasonably econmical although probably not that much more than the 6cyl model, insurance is cheap and servicing reasonable, all these will be more costly with the larger engined Zeds. Having said that the Zed isn't my daily driver or is accasionally so more of a hobby car, if it was my daily driver or only car then I probably would have gone for the 2.2 6cyl purely as probably the best alrounder. As I say just personal preferences, I would stick with a facelift if you can, later the better, plus the hood is slightly better on the facelifted Zed. I would also try for a Sport than a standard zed, lower stance, shapely seats, other bits n pieces etc.

Tim.

+1 - wot he said

oh and by the way, silver ones really are much faster !
-------------------------------------

1998 Z3 1.9 in Arctic Silver..... maybe i should change my screen name to Chilly !!
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Test drive them all, then buy a 2.8 :wink:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

///M all the way ;-)

seriuosly the best thing is to find a few local and test drive them. No two people have the same that's what makes them so great.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Hi Springer and welcome

A lot depends on what you are going to use the Z3 for :?: My wife had a facelift 1.9 for nearly 7 years as her daily commuting car. Other than regular servicing she only had a broken wheel sensor replaced in all that time. She found the facelift better as an all year round car as it has more insulation in the hood.

When she replaced the Z3 with the Z4 I bought a Z3 as a weekend / occasional summer commuting car and went for a 6 cylinder. There's quite a wide choice pre-facelft 2.8, facelift 2.0, 2.2, 2.8, 3.0 and then of course there's the ///M. Some people say that the 2.2 makes the nicest sound, that the 3.0 is a good compromise if you can't stretch to a ///M. From various posts the mpg on the 6 pots appears to be similar - perhaps more dependent on how it is driven :D rather than the engine size.

But there again as:
Tori wrote:Test drive them all, then buy a 2.8 :wink:
^ +1 not that I'm biased in any way whatsoever ':oops:
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
trigg35

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by trigg35 »

i would drive a few and see which one you suits you.for me it was the 2.2 sport.i like the look of the sport cars best - as it was the last run out before the z4 they have most options fitted that were available.for me half of the fun of the car is its a two seater soft top but the other half is the engine.it sounds like a muscle car,is silky smooth and gives the car a bit of performance to match the looks.im not sure that the 1.9 would be a lot less to run.my last inspection 2 at bmw was £220.a lot of parts are the same and fuel consumption is similar.road tax is maybe a little more if any and insurance may be a bit more - i pay £250 fully comp so in my case not much difference i wouldnt think.anyway its a personal thing but dont dismiss the 6 cylinder models.give both a try
Springer

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Springer »

Many thanks folks for the info so far :wink:

I had a go in a 1.9 this morning at a near by garage, enjoyed the drive but the car was not for me, a few dings and scrapes, I will keep looking.
I cannot buy untill next month, going on holiday to France soon and will not be back untill July 8-).
Good this retirerment, beats the hell out of working, as long as the pension cheques keep coming in :D
Cylon-One

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cylon-One »

Mine's also a hobby car (comes out of the garage about twice per month) and that's the exact reason I chose a 2.8 rather than a 1.9.

I didn't want my daily driver (a 150bhp TDI) to be quicker than my 2 seater roadster! ... but each to their own.

The 2.8 is generally a very reliable lump - had no problems of any type with mine. Economy's not an issue as I only do about 1500 miles per year, and insurance was unbelievable value through a classic policy at £190 per year.

Cheers,
David
Durham, UK
'98 BMW Z3 2.8 Roadster (Boston Green, Standard)
Richardenigma

M coupe S52

Post by Richardenigma »

Sage advice from some very well informed folks on here and although I hanker to be as knowledgeable as they are (I really do) I chose mine with my heart not my head...and everytime I go out in it I simply smile!

The new BMW advert where it talks about 'making joy' makes me cringe a tad but you know what...its what I feel when I drive my Z3!

Bottom line whichever one you choose I doubt you'll make the wrong choice...
Springer

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Springer »

Thank you for all your views.
It seems from your advice there is no model or year to shy away from but the later ones are a better buy.
I shall keep you informed and if/when I release the moths from the wallet I shall post a photo of the new aquisition. It will be some in July now.
Thanks again for all the comments and pearls of wisdom!!
Springer :)