EBC Red Stuff pads are so good

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Robin

M roadster S50

EBC Red Stuff pads are so good

Post by Robin »

Just had EBC red stuff brake pads fitted in place of standard pads.
The result is remarkable. Seems like I now have twice the braking power.
Feels like I've spent a fortune on a full brake upgrade, yet they only cost me a few pounds more than standard pads. Very little dust on wheels also.
Wish I'd switched to them sooner.
One of the most effective & beneficial upgrades per pound that you can do.
Last edited by Robin on Thu 08 Jul, 2010 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
'High G' motoring enthusiast
bugsy

M roadster S50

Post by bugsy »

Mine are waiting to go on in the next couple of weeks :lol:
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

You're in for a pleasant surprise :wink:
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Robin....

I thought that Redstuffs were more aimed at trackday usage and had to be warmed up to get them working properly. Do you find they're ok for normal road driving?

And I heard that being so hard, they wear out the discs much quicker than other softer compounds?
I guess that's the payback for having much more efficient braking?

A.
bugsy

M roadster S50

Post by bugsy »

I read the same when considering my next pads. There are a few discussions on this site a few years ago about red stuff.

Yes, the harder the compound, the quicker the disk wear. Just an excuse to get some cross drilled disks sooner :)

The bite on the red stuff from cold doesn't appear to be an issue. Red was recommended for 300Bhp+ cars (http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... +red+stuff 3rd June post). The yellow stuff is probably an overkill for road use.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I've just got some yellowstuff to go on after overheating the stock pads (they are now squeeling for engand :head: ).

I'm not bothered about everyday use as the car only gets used occassionaly and on a fast road run I've been disappointed by the amount of fade from the stock pads.

Will be interesting to see how the yellow stuff work :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
aj2007

M roadster S50

Post by aj2007 »

They are indeed great pads and even better with the EBC discs

See Here:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

Ade
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I thought the general agreement was OEM discs are the best you can get short of a big brake kit conversion ie the floating setup is better then any aftermarket options, albeit you don't get fancy looking grooves or holes ?
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Alfie wrote:Robin....

I thought that Redstuffs were more aimed at trackday usage and had to be warmed up to get them working properly. Do you find they're ok for normal road driving?

And I heard that being so hard, they wear out the discs much quicker than other softer compounds?
I guess that's the payback for having much more efficient braking?

A.
Alfie, I'd heard that the reds need warming before they operate fully. Yet I've not noticed that to be the case.
I feel the benefits of vastly improved braking & cleaner wheels outweigh the possibility of more frequent disc changes if it's the case the discs will wear faster.
I suppose I could grease the discs & the face of the pads so as to increase disc life :lol:

John, bear in mind the harder pads take longer to bed in.
A 1000 miles is the figure I've heard to be fully bedded in.
So that may be why the squeeling.
Mine squeeled for the 1st 100 miles or so. They're quiet now though.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Lol just reread my post and it can be read 2 ways :D

What I meant was I've not fitted the yellowstuff yet, the OEM are squeeling when they warm up and driving me crazy :roll:
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

Oh right LOL
I guess you're aware 'copper ease' grease behind the pads to fill any voids stops the resonance. Anyway you won't have those much longer so no probs then hopefully.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Tried it when I put my new wheels on the other week but I'm afraid I've fried them :oops:
Dave L2

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dave L2 »

I had Red Stuff fitted all round about 1000 miles ago, and they are perfomring spectactularly.

I think the concerns about taking so long to heat up were based on the old Red compound but with the recent change in compound the is no longer any squealling whilst they bed in and the work beautifully from cold.

I'm still using OEM discs and the Pads and Discs were all replaced at the same time, so I'll be able to give an idea on disc wear, hopefully a good while in the future.
bugsy

M roadster S50

Post by bugsy »

btw - does anyone know what the mini brake disc thickness is?

Could only find vented disc thickness (http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... disc+thick) on this site and only this on the web: http://www.justpartsbiz.co.uk/acatalog/ ... ness_.html

Says 8mm but not sure if that's applicable to the Z3(M) discs.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Jonttt wrote:I thought the general agreement was OEM discs are the best you can get short of a big brake kit conversion ie the floating setup is better then any aftermarket options, albeit you don't get fancy looking grooves or holes ?
In Europe we have the flaoting rotors on the ///M, so OEM is a good as it gets before a big brake kit. Outside of Europe and on a non ///M there may be some benefit to be had from aftermarket grooved rotors.

To another post. 1000 miles is a long time to wait for your brakes to work properly. I would read this - http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Lastly, aftermarket pads are not always a good idea. I had some greenstuff for a while and they were terrible. OK initially, but after a thousand miles or so I got some pad material build-up on the rotors resulting in big time judder. Never did cure it, so £200 and a new set of rotors was the answer. Maybe Red ot Yellow stuff will be better as they seem to be more abrasiveon the rotor. Possibly even self cleaning?

Si.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Sorry, I should have clarified in my reply, I was talking specifically about S50/S54 OEM brake discs, thanks for clarifying :wink:

Will be interesting to see how I get on with the yellowstuff. I have been really disappointed with the amount of brake fade from the OEM pads (even on a coldish but very wet fast road run earlier this year :roll: )
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/red ... ndex.shtml

"As EBC's flagship street brake pad material for prestige and faster cars above 200BHP the 09 version on EBC Redstuff sets new standards in brake performance. Redstuff has always been known for its low dust ability but the latest blend has greatly reduced the phenomenon of pad "Pick up" or disc scoring and reduced dust even further."

"Redstuff however as a harder compound does take longer to fully bed in to achieve its highest levels of performance (can be up to 1500 miles/2500 Kms urban use) during which time the odd "Chirp" of brake noise may be heard when starting from cold in damp and cold conditions at walking pace speed. "
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

I have a set of yellowstuffs waiting to go on the car, they were an e bay bargain at £21 :D