Clutch foot rest quandary

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Ruud1boy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Clutch foot rest quandary

Post by Ruud1boy »

I've just bought a '98 Z3 - it's my 1st BMW & this is my first post on this site, so be gentle with me.

Does anyone else find the foot rest to the left of the clutch in their car a bit annoying? It's about 3inches too near to the driving position and it's canted over at about a 10degree angle. I'd like to try & modify this by cutting out a bit of the bulkhead & welding in another piece further away & square on to my foot. Does anyone know if this isfeasible & has anyone tried it?
IOMRoadster

M roadster S50

Post by IOMRoadster »

The Z doesn't come with a footrest as standard as there isn't room in an RHD car (designed as LHD) so it must be an aftermarket.

I tried an ACS one from the dealer and didn't even finish fitting it 'cos there wasn't enough room for my size 8's!!!

Take it out is my advice.
trickyb

Z3 roadster 2.0

'Footrest'

Post by trickyb »

ruud1boy,

When you say 'footrest', are you referring to the narrow protrusion from the tunnel, next to the clutch?

I don't think this is meant as a footrest in the normal useage - it's just wrong. As you say it's angled and too close. Whilst I don't seem to have a problem (with size 10's), others have commented that it gets in the way if you've got wide shoes on.

I've had to change my seating position and tuck my left leg slightly under my right on longer journeys.

Someone else moght know, but i suspect that protrusion is there for a reason, i.e. something bloody important behind it, but if you do take it off, let me know!
trickyb

Z3 roadster 2.0

'Footrest'

Post by trickyb »

ruud1boy,

When you say 'footrest', are you referring to the narrow protrusion from the tunnel, next to the clutch?

I don't think this is meant as a footrest in the normal useage - it's just wrong. As you say it's angled and too close. Whilst I don't seem to have a problem (with size 10's), others have commented that it gets in the way if you've got wide shoes on.

I've had to change my seating position and tuck my left leg slightly under my right on longer journeys.

Someone else moght know, but i suspect that protrusion is there for a reason, i.e. something bloody important behind it, but if you do take it off, let me know!
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

I've got a foot rest, :P but I have a steptronic and find that it is in the perfect possition, only fault was that it was carpeted and suceptable to premature wear so I Velcro'd a leather patch onto it, no probs at all now.
powerlord

M roadster S50

Post by powerlord »

yeh footrest is a bit pathetic.

I've got an M, and the clutch is higher and further to the left than a normal Z too, making it doubly useless.

saying that, I've still ordered a set of //M ali pedals and footrest and am gonna fit them tomorrow :-)

I'd have thought you'd be better trying to modify the position of the pedals than hacking into the geearbox tunnel imho.

I'd like to move the clutch about 1 inch to the right and 2 inch down on mine for example... the clutch pedal being made of plastic doesn't help right enough...but I'm sure a modification can't be too hard.
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Rather than start a new thread, I'd thought I'd just add to this one.

Has anyone had their carpet out to see what the footrest bulge (under the carpet) is actually formed from ?
It feels soft like a block of foam, I just wondered if lifting the carpet and hacking it away, then pressing the carpet down would give my clutch foot more room, especially on a DC or motorway.
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

Due to a left leg that isn't at its best I must have a footrest. The material you can feel is sound proofing under the carpet. It's sheet metal under that, shaped to allow them to fit a gearbox. I fabricated a footrest from aluminium sheet etc. and it works well. Two major problems are: making it strong enough to support your weight under firm braking and preventing the whole package from slipping down under the brake pedal!

I will send pics of my meagre efforts if you wanted.

Regards.
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

I'm convinced the 'footrest' is just a block of foam.
When I unscrew the plastic clutch stop from the floor and wriggle a thin rod under the carpet towards the gearbox, it just slips under the 'footrest' with no resistance.
Now how do I lift the carpet without loosing the bonnet release cable ?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I had my carpet put some time ago, I am sure that the foot rest is just moulded foam, I think there is a pic somewhere, I'll post if I find it.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Re: Clutch foot rest quandary

Post by Boysie »

powerlord wrote:yeh footrest is a bit pathetic.

I've got an M, and the clutch is higher and further to the left than a normal Z too, making it doubly useless.

saying that, I've still ordered a set of //M ali pedals and footrest and am gonna fit them tomorrow :-)

I'd have thought you'd be better trying to modify the position of the pedals than hacking into the geearbox tunnel imho.

I'd like to move the clutch about 1 inch to the right and 2 inch down on mine for example... the clutch pedal being made of plastic doesn't help right enough...but I'm sure a modification can't be too hard.
When I first got the ///M this was something that I had trouble with coming from a 1.9 zed, I took it back to dealers and they put a different clutch pedal on, they said it was a modification slightly lower and bit to the right.
I hope this helps
Of interest, the comment from the mechanic was in an ///M you never rest your foot you drive it :-)

Sent from Boysies iPad using Tapatalk
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

From your description of the proximity between your brake pedal and the footrest, it seems that your car has an auto gearbox.

If this is so, then you will have a very wide brake pedal, which could be usefully replaced by a standard pedal, so liberating the space normally occupied by the clutch pedal. This would leave lots of space for your left foot - unless you feel the need to use both feet in the brake!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
littlefeller

blank

Post by littlefeller »

most autos have a footrest, my old car had one (auto) then one day I borrowed a company pool car (manual) which had a footrest, is was a disaster as when pulling up at the first set of lights (my foot was on the footrest as it would have been in my auto) car started juddering as the speed fell too low for the gear I was in, my brain just froze and I put the clutch in and just sat there rolling, waiting for the thump as I hit the car in front :lol: . most embarrassing as I had only been in the car for around 4 min. it was a Honda accord estate, though I will point out that it only broke the fog light but the car I hit ( ford focus) the rear just caved in :lol: :lol:
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

littlefeller wrote:most autos have a footrest, my old car had one (auto) then one day I borrowed a company pool car (manual) which had a footrest, is was a disaster as when pulling up at the first set of lights (my foot was on the footrest as it would have been in my auto) car started juddering as the speed fell too low for the gear I was in, my brain just froze and I put the clutch in and just sat there rolling, waiting for the thump as I hit the car in front :lol: . most embarrassing as I had only been in the car for around 4 min. it was a Honda accord estate, though I will point out that it only broke the fog light but the car I hit ( ford focus) the rear just caved in :lol: :lol:
Been there, I didnt hit anybody but made sure i was alert whilst driving, you instinctively want to push the clutch in :-) when you have to brake suddenly
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom