New Knob - Now Fitted

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mouldy

Not specified

New Knob - Now Fitted

Post by Mouldy »

I would like to replace the gear knob on my Zed. It is currently fitted with a tall chrome plastic knob which looks a bit naff and isn't pleasant in the hand (don't titter, please). See photo attached;

I don't fancy a metal one, due to previous experience with my wife's MG TF which had an ally knob. I needed to wear thermal gloves in the winter because of the cold and welding mitts in the summer, when it became too hot to touch (did I say summer - have I missed ours this year?).

I quite like the look of the short, heavy, leather M-Tech knob fitted to the 330 Clubsport (Part number 25.11.7.896.031), but phone calls to two BMW dealers have proved less than helpful, with one saying it would fit and the other saying that it wouldn't.

What I would like to know is if anyone on the Forum has fitted one to their Zed and if so, was it difficult to fit and did it change the quality of the gear change.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Mouldy on Sat 28 Aug, 2010 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

I found the standard leather one on my ///M adequate but a bit tall and light if I was being picky. There are plenty of knobs on Ebay http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?Manufactu ... 86.c0.m282 I sure Tim will pipe in soon as he has a real knob fetish I gather :D
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Touching

Post by Mike Fishwick »

A shiney gear knob is a lot kinder to the hand during summer than one which is covered in black leather - during summer have to wear gloves in our Golf TDI, as the knob gets so hot you cannot touch it. So does the steering wheel, so I end up wearing thin leather/mesh gloves anyway - lightweight gardening gloves bought in Germany.

If you want a change, look at the Whalen Shift Machine - it sits lower on the lever, reducing overall length by an inch, and is weigted to enhance the change. OK - it costs about £100 too.

I find that the standard shiney knob is fine in all conditions, and not a bad shape either, particularly on my lever, which is shortened by 1.5 inches and has had the internal rubber replaced by body filler, to give a short travel and enhanced precision.

Last edited by Mike Fishwick on Tue 24 Aug, 2010 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Mouldy, I believe the clubsport one is the same as the ZHP one that I have.

Note its not as heavy as the popular metal options eg Storm Motorworks but does have a great feel to it.

I imported mine from the states but someone has since sourced from the UK. Try searhcing for ZHP gearsticks :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
paulb1976

Post by paulb1976 »

Same as mine ordered from coopers. Think part ref is 25117896031 - £50 ish.
w4tkins

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by w4tkins »

I have the same as jonttt, nice weighted feel and a smooth gear change:

Image My Journal
Favourite Quotes:
Rob Tan wrote: The Z3. Purely medicinal.
TREGZY wrote:''Ive seen the way you drive.....you got a heavy foot''
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

paulb1976 wrote:Same as mine ordered from coopers. Think part ref is 25117896031 - £50 ish.
Thanks all for the replies.

Found this on FleaBay . . . . . looks like the same one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26otn%3D1

Must get one on order!!

Mouldy

Not specified

Update

Post by Mouldy »

I ordered my new knob from my local dealer (Wollaston Motors in Northampton) on Wednesday and picked it up this morning. Much to my amazement, they gave me a 10% discount because the car is over four years old (though only just!). I hope it wasn't out of sympathy!!!

Anyway, when I got home and it had stopped raining, I got the Zed out of the garage, dropped the roof and prepared for a tussle. I shouldn't have bothered as the old knob surrendered without any fuss and the new one slipped on without a problem.

I had a quick drive up the road and am well pleased with the result. The slight increase in weight and reduction in height seem to have made a difference, which I'm sure is not psychological having just coughed up £45.

Here are a couple of photos;

Old

New

Last edited by Mouldy on Fri 27 Aug, 2010 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Looks just the job :D

May be worth you posting up the part number for reference :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Jonttt wrote:
May be worth you posting up the part number for reference :wink:
Part number 25.11.7.896.031

I did find the same one on Fleabay for £44.99 inc 2nd class postage, but having made the decision to get one, I couldn't wait;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-BMW-Leath ... _500wt_928

jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

Looks great

I've just replaced my broken wooden jobbie with another wood one but is is to light so i have ordered 1 like yours after your impressions.

Cheers Jon