help with windscreen washers please

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

help with windscreen washers please

Post by maurice the martian »

Washers have stopped working,just a trickle comming out.Cleaned out the jets, made no difference,When you operate washers water is comming out of the little hole in picture. Nothing comming out of main outlet .Any ideas as to whats wrong would be appreciated
Maurice.
Tufarlian

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Tufarlian »

Had this problem a while back.

You need replacement washer jet valves. The white part in your photo.

Cost me £2.60 each from a BMW dealer so they don't exactly break the bank.

Cheers

Mark
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Maurice I agree with Turfalarian.
I replaced ours in the summer and would strongly recommend that you buy some new 8mm hose clips as well.
IIRC they were mega-expensive at 16p each but are much easier to fix and give a better seal than cable ties.
I tried re-using the old ones but only created an under-bonnet fire sprinkler system :!:
Image :devil:
Antoninus

Z3 roadster 3.0i

poor washers

Post by Antoninus »

you'll probably find its not the exit part of the washer but the filters on teh black motors down at the water tank. unbolt the white tank, untwist the black motors and theres a mesh type attachment there. Wash it out well with soupy warm water, this bit stinks and is a bit like well, shall we say, drain glube. eh voila. all clear. put it all back together again and you'll be able to spray on demand fiercly to your hearts content. I usually do it in spring before the weather warms the water tank up. good luck. half hour job but really worth it! :)
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Thanks for the quick replies,at the moment i have a underbonnet sprinkler system also,the water`s peeing out of that little hole.If it rains tomorrow i`ll get Andrea to hang out the window with a squeegee :lol:
Again many thanks.
Maurice
brilie

Z3 roadster 2.8

windscreen washers

Post by brilie »

Had a similar problem this week no pressure easy fix as previous post the filter in the water container blocked with gunge!! water bottle had gunge on the inside sides cleaned off as much as possilble but can I ask the question does anybody have any idea what yo put in the water to kill off the gunge?
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

What do the white things do ? I just took mine out and its been fine ever since.
Now for sale £6000 Ono
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Tori wrote:What do the white things do ? I just took mine out and its been fine ever since.
Non return valves,so system does not drain back to reservoir.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

So by taking these off would it be detremental to the system,or just take a while longer for the water to come through :puzzle:
Maurice
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

maurice the martian wrote:So by taking these off would it be detremental to the system,or just take a while longer for the water to come through :puzzle:
Maurice
I have not noticed any delay when they are operated and I have had plenty of other cars that do not have them fitted, they just seem to be more trouble than they are worth to me.
Now for sale £6000 Ono
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Sound ok to me Tori,when i get back from todays cruise with Jontimo,Swamper and Taffzee, i`ll have a go at that. :thumb:
Maurice.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

maurice the martian wrote:Sound ok to me Tori,when i get back from todays cruise with Jontimo,Swamper and Taffzee, i`ll have a go at that. :thumb:
Maurice.
thats if we let you go home.......... :lol:
the badness makes me do it...!

jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

looks like a foggy start!!!!

Again 8-)
1998 2.8 Roadster "Gone but not forgotten"
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I have the same problem at the moment, water spraying everywhere under the bonnet from that little hole! One of my washer jets is working fine but the other is spraying out of just one hole so I think this is what caused the problem with the valves.

I'm going to get a couple of new non return valves this week and a couple of new jets to replace the blocked one so they don't break the valves again and all should be fixed :)

I tried running the washers without the valves and it seemed to work but couldn't really tell until I get some fully functioning jets. You should give it a try though, as tori says it should be fine.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The non-return valves leave the pipework full of water, so that when you operate the washers, water comes out immediately. The system would work without, but you would have to wait for the water to reach the end of the pipe before it will come out, which means more work for the pump.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Got the same problem with my drivers side jets, will have a fiddle tomorrow.
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Robert T wrote:The non-return valves leave the pipework full of water, so that when you operate the washers, water comes out immediately. The system would work without, but you would have to wait for the water to reach the end of the pipe before it will come out, which means more work for the pump.

Cheers R.
Mine still work instantly without them fitted.
Now for sale £6000 Ono
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

tried to do the same as Tori,but found the pipes wouldnt stretch to the jets ,so i went to the dealer and bought 2 new units £3-each inc vat,job done. :thumb:
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

It looks like overkill to me.Why bother fitting 2 NRVs when there is only one common feed?You can pick up a single straight male/male NRV for under £2 to do the same job as the 2 required by BMW.

Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

Good point. Umm... you could do the same with the cylinders, why use six when four would do the job just as well.

I suspect maybe some would like to keep it all OEM!

Just kidding.

Regards.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I suspect the two NRVs were cheaper than a longer hose. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

For £6 why bother doing anything other than replacing original parts!!!!!

See you tomorrow Maurice you will need your washers during the 330 mile drive here LOL

jontymo
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Sorry Jon ,i wont be in the Zed :puzzle:
jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

???

What you coming in?
maurice the martian

Z4 roadster 3.0i

SMax Deeeeesel,Oh no its a ford :lol:
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Jamezee wrote:Got the same problem with my drivers side jets, will have a fiddle tomorrow.
Didnt have a fiddle, its in for inspection 1 next week, will let them sort it :oops:
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

After looking through RealOEM it would appear that Z4 and Z8 have no NRVs in the washer systems. :shock:

Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

Maybe even BMW thought that they were more bother than they were worth :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
henrycrun

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by henrycrun »

Also check that the washer pipe is not squashed as it passes through the hinge line of the bonnet
Jackster

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jackster »

I agree with Antonius, I had the same problem and it was the filters at the bottom of the water tank that were blocked. I cleared them and within a couple of weeks had a recurring problem so this time I have used detergent to really clean the inside of the water tank. Everything working fine atm.
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: help with windscreen washers please

Post by 1963paul »

Can someone tell me, SHOULD water come out of those little holes in the back of the non return valves?
Had a blocked filter in the bottom of the bottle, which is ok now, got water spraying out of the jets ok, bit also water coming out of those little holes. The holes look like they should be there for a reason?
(Didn't realise this was such an old post!...anyway, I have removed the non-return valves, and all ok).
Last edited by 1963paul on Fri 28 Oct, 2016 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
siwilson

M roadster S54

Re:

Post by siwilson »

Frank.A wrote:After looking through RealOEM it would appear that Z4 and Z8 have no NRVs in the washer systems. :shock:
Models with heated washer jets have the non-return valve built into the jet. I have also found RealOEM and BMW dealer parts diagrams to be incomplete when it comes to the washer system. If you enter my VIN it look like it does not have windscreen washers at all.

Another area that can be an issue is where the hose routes around the bonnet hinge. There is a protection tube that can deform and pinch the hose. The hose can also pinch inside the protection tube and you can't see it. This was what has caused my washer issues twice now. The first time I repaired the tube by heating and reforming it. Since it did it again I purchased a new protection tube and some new hose. All good now.

Oh, and water is not supposed to come out of the little hole in the back of the valve.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
1963paul

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Re:

Post by 1963paul »

siwilson wrote:
Frank.A wrote:After looking through RealOEM it would appear that Z4 and Z8 have no NRVs in the washer systems. :shock:
Models with heated washer jets have the non-return valve built into the jet. I have also found RealOEM and BMW dealer parts diagrams to be incomplete when it comes to the washer system. If you enter my VIN it look like it does not have windscreen washers at all.

Another area that can be an issue is where the hose routes around the bonnet hinge. There is a protection tube that can deform and pinch the hose. The hose can also pinch inside the protection tube and you can't see it. This was what has caused my washer issues twice now. The first time I repaired the tube by heating and reforming it. Since it did it again I purchased a new protection tube and some new hose. All good now.

Oh, and water is not supposed to come out of the little hole in the back of the valve.
Thought so, removed the valves, all ok, thanks.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I removed one valve and not the other before I realised that it was the bottle filter. The one sans the valve is a little behind the other in spraying but not so it would bother you so I haven't got round to putting the valve back. It's such a pain stretching under bonnet to work on them that I plead backache (laziness). :colourful:
colb

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by colb »

Must be an autumn thing, had to get replacements for mine after nearside one failed and started to loose water out of the tiny hole. Did have a poke about and a good blow with an airline and got it to work again so haven't fitted the new one yet.
Colb
1999 BMW 1.8 Z3
2003 BMW 2.5 Z4
1998 Honda Deauville NT650V