Buying a Z3 roadster

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Kevin

Not specified

Buying a Z3 roadster

Post by Kevin »

I am interested in buying a Z3 roadster, possibly a 1.9. Any suggestions for where to look?
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Stock Exchange on here

eBay

Pistonheads

Autotrader
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Kevin

Not specified

Post by Kevin »

Thank you. Merry Christmas.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Hi, have you got anything else in mind other than a 1.9? Would help us help you - as it were!

Oh, and welcome :wave

Gaz
Kevin

Not specified

Post by Kevin »

Speed would not be an issue for me, so I thought 1.8, 1.9 or 2.0. Price would perhaps be £3000 to £4000, and there seemed to be more 1.9 Z3s in this range. Cheers.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

the 1.9 is a good nimble little car with excellent economy and cheap insurance !

just look for a clean, well looked after example. and have a look underneath if you can, check everything is in order.

good luck
Still modifying
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Kevin

Not specified

Post by Kevin »

Thanks. Looks nice. Do you know the car/recommend it? Does the lack of service history matter?
groove65

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by groove65 »

Hey Kevin, thats actually my one - happy to chat about it if you like.

i spent ages in the company of these nice folks on here to 'improve' the zed. I would reccommend taking your time to look at as many as you can as a lot have had some hard times that you'll find on autotrader etc.

rollhoops are a biggie - ive done mine and wouldnt want to go through it again as sourcing them takes ages and they are a pretty big change to the car (and expensive when you can actually find a full rollhoop kit for the right colour/year combo..)

also, one thing you MUST check is boot welds.. have a search on here to see what im on about. mine are all 100% but i remember only finding out about the boot welds after i'd bought mine :roll: and then spending some anxious moments agonising about whether i should look or not on mine.

I was a very happy bunny when i lifted the carpet to find them all perfect :D

the guys on here will give good advice and there's not much to worry about with a 1.9

its true what people say about the 1.9 - if you can live with 4 cylinders, you get a very nimble lightweight handling car that's a lot of fun. however, if you like the 6 cylinder cars then in my view the 2.8 is the one to get - but you will pay more on insurance and economy and its much heavier

kinda you pays yer money you takes your choice ?

cheers

Iain
-------------------------------------

1998 Z3 1.9 in Arctic Silver..... maybe i should change my screen name to Chilly !!
groove65

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by groove65 »

oh one other thing. mine has been serviced - its just not been main $tealer serviced since 2005...

got all the parts receipts from BMW though for the filters etc. 8-)
-------------------------------------

1998 Z3 1.9 in Arctic Silver..... maybe i should change my screen name to Chilly !!
Kevin

Not specified

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for all the tips and information. Is yours a '97 or '98?