Cruise control retrofit on a Z3 with M54

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Cruise control retrofit on a Z3 with M54

Post by Z3C »

Hi,

Has anyone retrofitted a cruise control on the M54(3,0L) engine? If I'm not mistaken, the M54 has an electronic throttle control and all the same actuators are used in the cruise control as well. So basically half of system is already in the car.

Whet else do I need to get?
- contol lever (obviously)
- control unit box (?)
- clutch sensor (or is the one already?)
- wiring harnesses?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

I did a cruise control on my S54 ///M (also fly by wire) quite easily using a kit form BMW that was actually meant for the 2.5i US version.

Take a look at my original thread and also follow the link to bimmerfest. I suspect your 3.0i would be the same.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ntrol+done

Si.
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Nice, can it really be that easy?

I'll try to find out if the same parts would work with the M54

Thank for the hint!
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

Cruise is one option that I really miss on the Z
Perhaps I'm getting lazy but I use it so much on my E39
I'l be interested to see how many parts are required for the M54 and how simple the addition will be
Image :devil:
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Z3C wrote:Nice, can it really be that easy?

Thank for the hint!
My hunch is that yes it is.

If you take the minimum parts needed for the S54, and put the part numbers into RealOEM for Euro spec cars you get back that they are also specified for the Z3 M54 2.2i 3.0i models. Whether you need more than this is anyones guess but since the M54 is also fly by wire, my hunch is no. you may find though that coding would be required and that means a trip to a friendly local dealer or skilled indy.

Best of Luck!
Gio

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Gio »

Thank for the hint!
Can you let us know how you get on with this, as I would like to do the same for my 2.2i, which is also a M54 engine.

Cheers
ImageImage
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

Parts Required to retrofit cruise control on M44 3.0i:

1 off 65 71 8 380 054 interface
1 off 61 31 8 360 926 Switch assembly

Wiring is already in the M44 and probably others. Takes an hour (includes coffee break) and it works immediately.

Regards
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Mr Silver wrote:Parts Required to retrofit cruise control on M44 3.0i:

Wiring is already in the M44 and probably others. Takes an hour (includes coffee break) and it works immediately.

Regards
Do you not also need the English cap - B61.31.1.390.968 Knob (English) others had to purchase this separately
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Gio wrote:

Thank for the hint!
Can you let us know how you get on with this, as I would like to do the same for my 2.2i, which is also a M54 engine.

Cheers
Sure thing, I'll let you know how this will work out. It will be a while before I'll get to do any actual testint though. It's winter in here you see....
elijah

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by elijah »

siwilson wrote:I did a cruise control on my S54 ///M (also fly by wire) quite easily using a kit form BMW that was actually meant for the 2.5i US version.

Take a look at my original thread and also follow the link to bimmerfest. I suspect your 3.0i would be the same.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... ntrol+done

Si.
My friend is also planning to hook up a cruise control on his M54 but we're both newbies and don't know how to start doing it. Lucky I was able to find a link in your post with a DIY on it. It would really come in handy for us. But I'm wondering what other parts beside these are needed to do the cruise control.

- cruise control lever (obviously)
- control unit box (?)
- clutch sensor (or is the one already?)
- wiring harnesses?

Any ideas or suggestions is appreciated.
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Hi,

I thought I'd give an update on my project:

I spend a good time in the web trying to find out if the cruise control retrofit kit “ 65 71 0 007 353 “ would work on my M54 3.0 or not --> with no result! I couldn't find anyone who could tell me if the kit will or will not work! (I guess I’ll be first to find out :wink: )
I also asked about this at my local dealer but of course they don't really know anything (big surprise!!). Actually they even said that it’s not possible to retrofit a cruise control on this particular model at all! But that of course just means that they don't have that option to sell.

Anyway, I decided to take the risk and order the kit. I figer that I have been spending so much money on my Z lately that a 100e frankly woun’t make any difference to my bankruptcy anyway ! :colourful:

Now waiting for the kit...
O_7777 :drive:
Captain Neil

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Captain Neil »

Thanks for the update, I'm watching for your progress with interest as I'd like to fit a reasonably priced cruise control to my 3 ltr 2001 Z3. Please let us know what's in the kit and if it works.

Cheers,
Neil
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

I'm watching too - 2.2 Sport '52' plate :)
Captain Neil

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Captain Neil »

Thanks for the update, I'm watching for your progress with interest as I'd like to fit a reasonably priced cruise control to my 3 ltr 2001 Z3. Please let us know what's in the kit and if it works.

Cheers,
Neil
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

I've added this to my 2.0 M52 TU which has a cable throttle but still has electronic throttle control for ASC. To check remove the underdash panel on the drivers side and have a look in the wiring loome that runs alongside the steering colume up to the steering wheel, you should find a small (I think it's a four pin) white plug, if it's there your good to go.

All thats needed is the cruise control switch from any E36, got mine second hand off E-bay for 20 quid, part number - 61318360926, remove the lower cowling from the steering colume, clip the switch in place under the wiper switch. The cutout for the cruise control switch is marked out inside the cowling, cut this out carefully then run the loome down the side of the steering colume. The other part required is the interface relay, part number - 65718380054, from BMW, this clips to a plastic bracket on the side of the steering colume under the dash. The loome from the colume switch plugs in one side of the interface the plug from the car wiring loome plugs in the other side, put the underdash panel back up and take it for a drive.

Sorry I've got no pictures :(
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

For pictures, do a search for "Cruise control retrofit" (started by estocks) and scroll down towards the botttom (car with blue seats) to see some pictures I took when I installed it in a 1999 2.0. Hope this helps; it's a very simple and fairly quick job.
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Thanks bowei and devon. I did find the thread started by estocks:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... l+retrofit

I actually did already read it ones but now as I read it the second time I got much more out of it.

There are excellent pictures of the interface, control lever and where it all goes to at the end of the thread. I don't expect to have to add any other components because all actuators swiches and brackest should already be in the car.

We'll see when I get my cruise kit which by the way has not been shipped yet! :puzzle:
I better call them about it!
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Anyone looking to do this? well theres the switch you need on E-Bay at the moment.
Item number - 180640003894 ends on the 20th. Be quick.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
leach62

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by leach62 »

Hi All

In my ignorance are these the only engines you can do this to, ine is a 2.0 year 2000 not sure of the engine mark though.

Regards Jim
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

I just thought all the 2.8 pre facelift zeds had the cruise control from new, may be not then, ive never used mine :oops:
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Hard Top

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Hard Top »

I thought it was standard on the 3.0i, obviously not, possibly only from 2002?
I have it on my 1.9, it must have been an option, and I never use it either.

HT
HT

Titan's apprentice. :D
Titan wrote:Occupations ?
Official Devil's Advocate :devil:
Leg Puller
Micky Taker
http://www.lde.nu/index.htm
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Hard Top wrote:I thought it was standard on the 3.0i, obviously not, possibly only from 2002?
I have it on my 1.9, it must have been an option, and I never use it either.

HT
I think I read somewhere that cruise control was standard in US market but not Europe. That should apply at least for 3,0 model.

PS: still havent received the retrofit kit I ordered fron DDM tuning. :shrug
I hope to get it soon though. I'll let you know how it worked out then.
amancuso

Z3 roadster 2.3

Post by amancuso »

I did the retrofit to my 2000 2.3 using the kit. The hardest part was cutting the hole out for the stalk, otherwise it was all plug n play. No coding required for me.
2000 Z3 2.3 Topaz Blue Metallic over Black and Sandbeige leather.
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Bad news!

I've been waiting for the CC-kit for a really long time and now I find out that BMW are not making them any more!! :head:

So my CC retrofit project has just become a parts hunting project. :fade

I think I only need the lever and the interface cable. Perhaps also the bracket but I figer that if I don't dond have one fitted, I'll just make one my self. How hard can it be, right? :wink:

I'm starding to look through the scrap yards now. The lever is probably easy to find because it' s the same one as on E36 3-series. The interface cable however was only fitted on Zs so thats a bit more tricky.

Of cource there is also the option that some reservesful zroadster member would have these parts for sale.... anyone? :)
bowei001

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by bowei001 »

The kit may not be available but all you need are the lever and the interface box. The lever, as you say, is the same as the E36 3 series (part number 61318360926) and can usually be picked up at a breakers or on ebay . The interface is only fitted to the Z but is still available from Germany - I phoned my local dealer this morning to find out. The part number is 65718380054 and the cost is £53 including VAT. It is an special order only, non refundable item so check the part number I have given before ordering, it should read "interface, cruise control". Installation is easy and takes about an hour
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Hello fellow z-owners.

I'm happy to inform you that I now have a conclusion regarding the cruise control retrofit on Z with a M54B30 engine.

I've been waiting for the retrofit kit for almost two month, only to find out that it's no longer available. Eventually I just ordered the parts separately. The parts that I ordered are the interface cable, the control switch and the button on the control switch with englinsh writing. The bracket for the interface cable is no longer available from the factory.

Today I finally received the parts. I installed them right away and... SUCCESS! :lol: it works! Just plug it in. I did have a bit of trouble finding the plug from underneath the dashboard. Actually I was already giving up and was about to ask for your help again when I finally found the plug just near the bracket for the interface cable underneath a bunch of cable ties. And yes, the interface bracket was fitted in the car already so I wouldn't have needed it anyway. :)

I love it how all the parts have their place under the dashboard and just snap in. Even the white connector that connects the interface cable with the control switch can be attached to it's own bracket right next to the interfase. All nice and clean!

So as a conclusion, if you're looking to fit the cruise control to your z with a 3,0 engine, all you need is the interface cable and the switch assembly. Actually mr silver sayed that right at the beginning of hte thread, even though he got the engine model wrong. :squeeze:
Budged --> 160 euros for the parts delivered to local dealer.

All in all, very satisfied with the mod. 8-)
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

I've just received a package from Germany today with a kit that gives me the E39 Multi Function Buttons on the steering wheel (radio and cruise control) - can't wait to find the time to get it in the car!!!
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Brilliant! I have a 2.2 M54 engine and have thought a lot about doing the mod myself. I still might but the traffic conditions here in south-east England are such that the opportunities to use cruise control are few and far between. What I would really like is a sport button similar to that fitted to my son's Z4M Coupé. He has the same dull throttle feel that we with fly-by-wire throttles have on our Z3s, but the sport setting almost totally eliminates the numbing effect. My Z is going in today for a service and brake fluid change, and I have asked the garage to remove/modify the clutch delay valve - a half way house to making the car more driveable, I hope.

There was a thread on here that detailed a mod to offer a sport button to the FBW models. I shall dig it out and see if it looks practical. The engine management is the same as the Z4 I believe... :rtm:
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

motco wrote:There was a thread on here that detailed a mod to offer a sport button to the FBW models. I shall dig it out and see if it looks practical. The engine management is the same as the Z4 I believe... :rtm:
It may be, but the programing will not be. All the sport mode does is to adjust the sensitivity of the throttle. Basically, you get more throttle for less push of the pedal. For this to work the DME needs to have both throttle maps in there and I suspect it will not.
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Ferdinand wrote:I've just received a package from Germany today with a kit that gives me the E39 Multi Function Buttons on the steering wheel (radio and cruise control) - can't wait to find the time to get it in the car!!!
Hmm, sounds interesting. Which steering wheel are you going to use with this mod? Also how difficult is it to ged the radio controls in to the steering wheel? This was not available as a factory option on zedz at all, or was it? :roll:

Whats your budged?
Last edited by Z3C on Thu 14 Apr, 2011 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

siwilson wrote:
motco wrote:There was a thread on here that detailed a mod to offer a sport button to the FBW models. I shall dig it out and see if it looks practical. The engine management is the same as the Z4 I believe... :rtm:
It may be, but the programing will not be. All the sport mode does is to adjust the sensitivity of the throttle. Basically, you get more throttle for less push of the pedal. For this to work the DME needs to have both throttle maps in there and I suspect it will not.
That's what concerned me when I first read it. It's all very well to assume that the loom is compatible with this mod, and the engine management is suitable for that one, but if the software is model specific it will not fly.

Anyway, this is the link:-

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/mods/E3678/sportmode.htm
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

That mod is specific to the S54 ///M models and not M54. Even though they are both FBW, they run a different DME.

I have done this mod to my ///M and although quite cool as the sport mode indicator lights up on the dash, it does little to change the way the car drives. not worth it IMO.
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Siwilson, thanks for that advice - I shall not bother if it's imperceptible. Resetting the adaptive throttle seems to help a fair amount anyway. :)
Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

Z3C wrote:
Ferdinand wrote:I've just received a package from Germany today with a kit that gives me the E39 Multi Function Buttons on the steering wheel (radio and cruise control) - can't wait to find the time to get it in the car!!!
Hmm, sounds interesting. Which steering wheel are you going to use with this mod? Also how difficult is it to ged the radio controls in to the steering wheel? This was not available as a factory option on zedz at all, or was it? :roll:

Whats your budged?
I'm using the M steeringwheel with E39 buttons - looking forward to getting it sorted and working... :D and it has never been offered from BMW price was 300 euro - all parts are new original BMW stuff :rtm:
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Ferdinand wrote: I'm using the M steeringwheel with E39 buttons - looking forward to getting it sorted and working... :D and it has never been offered from BMW price was 300 euro - all parts are new original BMW stuff :rtm:
Good luck with that. I never heard aboud a mod like this so it's going to be quite unic :thumb:

I hope you're plannig to take lots of pictures and write a thead about your experience. It would be some interesting reading. :wink:
PD

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Cruise control retro fit

Post by PD »

Hi all

Just a quick note to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I saw the postings and was tempted. I too couldn't source the complete kit so obtained the components individually. Just plug and play! Great for use as a speed limiter :)

Thank you all again
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

For those interested there's a stalk on Ebay: Item No. 230570617341 at $19.00 plus $15.00 postage to UK. Also, the current price from a main dealer for the interface is £53.00 inc VAT.

Personally I don't think I'll bother because, as I said before, the south of England traffic precludes the use of cruise most of the time and roughly £75-£80 could be better spent elsewhere. :|
siwilson

M roadster S54

Post by siwilson »

Ferdinand wrote:I'm using the M steeringwheel with E39 buttons - looking forward to getting it sorted and working... :D and it has never been offered from BMW price was 300 euro - all parts are new original BMW stuff :rtm:
Ferdinand,

Did you ever get this working?
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Cruise control retrofit on a Z3 with M54

Post by motco »

I am currently trying to fit the kit to my M54 2.2 but cannot locate the white three pin plug that connects to the interface module. Can anyone help please? :(
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

motco wrote:I am currently trying to fit the kit to my M54 2.2 but cannot locate the white three pin plug that connects to the interface module. Can anyone help please? :(
It should be the. Probably folded and fastened somewhere behind the column. It took me really long time to find it too when I was doing mine. In fact I was just about to give up when I finally found it :colourful:
motco

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by motco »

Z3C wrote:
motco wrote:I am currently trying to fit the kit to my M54 2.2 but cannot locate the white three pin plug that connects to the interface module. Can anyone help please? :(
It should be the. Probably folded and fastened somewhere behind the column. It took me really long time to find it too when I was doing mine. In fact I was just about to give up when I finally found it :colourful:
Z3C Thanks, I actually read your post on the problem and went back to my car renewed with hope. Alas, no luck. :( I shall try again when I can.
Z3C

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Z3C »

Ok, good luck!
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

I was told by an enthusiast recently that it is possible to do this very upgrade to my 1999 facelift 2.8 and all I needed was the switch and the interface whichb can both be purchased for around £90. But I have seen mention in this thread of a 'clutch switch' and my car is auto - so will this be an issue? Cruise control is very tempting with all these average speed cameras around the M25 and in roadworks elsewhere, saves keep having to check the speedo!
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Alan W wrote:I was told by an enthusiast recently that it is possible to do this very upgrade to my 1999 facelift 2.8 and all I needed was the switch and the interface whichb can both be purchased for around £90. But I have seen mention in this thread of a 'clutch switch' and my car is auto - so will this be an issue? Cruise control is very tempting with all these average speed cameras around the M25 and in roadworks elsewhere, saves keep having to check the speedo!
I don't think that's correct. Your car has a throttle cable, whereas the M54 engine has a fly-by-wire throttle. For your car you need an actuator that physically opens the throttle.
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

I don't think that's correct. Your car has a throttle cable, whereas the M54 engine has a fly-by-wire throttle. For your car you need an actuator that physically opens the throttle
Sorry still trying to get my head around all this body shape numbers and engine mumbers? :shock:

Mine is a M52TU 2.8 twin vanos unit which I understood to have a fly by wire throttle whereas the M52 2.8 does not?
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

The auto definitely does not require the clutch switch plug. I believe that the fly by wire will require only the switch and the switch interface (still available from BMW) and it's plug and play.

Hope this helps

Regards.
Last edited by Mr Silver on Wed 17 Jul, 2013 12:55, edited 1 time in total.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

There is a clutch switch bridging cable for vehicles with automatic transmission. Part #11 below:

Cruise control - BMW parts catalog

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

The auto definitely does not require the clutch switch
and
There is a clutch switch bridging cable for vehicles with automatic transmission. Part #11 below:
Can someone confirm whether I would require a clutch switch bridging cable for my M52TU 2.8 auto and if so explain in laymans terms what it does?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Alan W wrote:Can someone confirm whether I would require a clutch switch bridging cable for my M52TU 2.8 auto and if so explain in laymans terms what it does?
I've not done it, and I don't have an auto either, but from reading the descriptions above (click the pic to see) it is an either or. You fit the switch to a manual car or you fit the bridging cable to an automatic. I assume it fools the control unit into thinking that a switch is present. The picture implies a single connector with a bunch of wires coming back to itself, so it looks like it just shorts certain pins together. This should be described in the BMW retrofit instructions if someone has them.

EDIT: A PDF of the installation instructions for the kit can be downloaded from here: http://www.gavandkel.co.uk/Z3.html

The instructions are not very clear, but it is as I supposed above - you fit one or the other depending upon whether you have manual or automatic transmission.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mr Silver

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Mr Silver »

..er, the clutch switch is operated by the clutch pedal! Guess how many clutch pedals there are fitted to a vehicle with automatic transmission?

Regards.