GazHyde - Progress thread - and now, the end is near...

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

GazHyde - Progress thread - and now, the end is near...

Post by GazHyde »

Hi all,

Just want to show off my new wheels. Been biting my nails waiting for them, as it's not easy choosing from pictures on websites.

I am really chuffed now I have them on. It probably shows how bad the tyres were on my 16" alloys, because the car drives so much better than it did before!

Ended up doing business with Mark at BMAutoSport for a set of refurbished Breyton's.

Here's the piccies (iPhone camera in fading light - sorry!)

Christmas on the driveway...

New and old...

Rear end...

Side view...

Short valves...
Last edited by GazHyde on Sat 19 Nov, 2011 14:04, edited 29 times in total.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Looks great Gaz :lol: Mark at BMAustosport is a helpful guy.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

They look really nice, Breytons suite the Z3 very well it seems no matter what design they are.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Hang_em_high

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hang_em_high »

Got my first set of MV2's from him as he is only 2 minutes from my house :D A very knowledgeable guy who knows his stuff.
It's like being in santas grotto in his place,I have to leave the credit card at home evey time I pop in there :lol:

Nice wheels,they look a treat :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

They look great :thumb:

You could probably run a 5mm spacer on the rear ?

Breytons all the way :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Jackster

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jackster »

Lovely looking wheels Gaz, very nice indeed!
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Thanks for the comments guys.
Jonttt wrote:You could probably run a 5mm spacer on the rear ?
I am contemplating adding a little width to the rear as it happens (for once, not mid-life spread). Need to let the concept of the new wheel's sink in before I look in to that.

I had ordered an E-Tech strut brace (waiting delivery) in panic that the ride would change dramatically with the larger wheels. Its much happier on these than the crappy tyres it came with (3 different brands and all budget).

Mark at BMAutosport says these wheels are "very rare", so I'd better look after them as probably no luck of replacing them.

Gaz
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Good choice in wheels, Breyton wheels aren't particularly common regardless of what type you go for - and to reinforce Marks comments I can't say I've seen this set before! What are they called?

I think your car would certainly benefit from a nice healthy lowering kit and perhaps some rear spacers as already mentioned 8-)
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

yalden wrote:What are they called?
Errm, dunno :oops: Didn't say on the advert, and I never actually got round to asking Mark. I'll send him an email in a mo and see if he knows. Nothing stamped on the inside of the rim other than "Breyton 8518" and rim size etc. Perhaps Breyon style 85, 18"?
yalden wrote:I think your car would certainly benefit from a nice healthy lowering kit and perhaps some rear spacers as already mentioned 8-)
I'd love to lower her a little, but that's for later. Got other things higher up the list 8-) Paintwork first - it leaves a lot to be desired.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Google images to the rescue! Breyton Softline's (or Soft Line's) Only took 15mins of looking... :shock:

8518 = The 85 is 8.5" and the 18 is the rim size. Found that as well in my search!
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Here are some better pictures...

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Starting to find the Zed is showing her age a little, and is in need of a little attention. List of things needing doing increasing, including a spell at a body shop soon for a little botox.

At the bad fortune of a previous owner, managed to pick these up of a wrecked Zed for £11!

Tori

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tori »

Very nice, I got my wheels from mark too.

Looking 8-)
Now for sale £6000 Ono
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Cheap set of these just arrived in the post from California (made in Taiwan!) to replace the two damaged ones I have alread... Still way cheaper than I could locate over here.

Daz 999

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Daz 999 »

Car is looking very well Gaz, like those wheels a lot. 8-)

Have you got a link to the source of your sidelight lenses? One of mine is cracked.

Cheers
Daz
ImageImageImage

I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Cheers Daz,

Just had a tinker fitting the new bumper lenses. They aren't the best quality to be honest, and are a slightly different flatter design than the OEM ones which were split. But hey, they came in at £21 delivered and look better than the knackered ones. Will do for now, as I'm probably gonna sell or trade her in soon (want a bigger engined Zed).

Item listing was 250706583100.

Gaz
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

I have a local chap coming over tomorrow to do some paint correction, sort out scratches etc with a two stage machine polish. Weather permitting, he is going to be working on the car for 8 hours - but has his own gazebo if the worst happens.

The good bit is that he has a 2000 Titan Silver 1.9 Z3 of his own (but not a forum member).

Will do a write up when he has finished (with hopefully really shiney piccies).

Time for a quick piccy - looking much nicer with white side indicators and new bumper lenses. Just got to lose those nasty amber bits in the headlamps asap (angel eyes are on the shopping list!!)

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Quick mod - £4.85 eBay stubby aerial...

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Today I had Mark from http://www.theshinefactory.co.uk working on my driveway for 8 hours giving my car an 'Enhancement Detail'. Top notch work, and a really nice chap too. Spent a lot of time talking me through what he was doing and explaining how to do it. Would recommend him to anyone.

Absolutely transformed the car. It was so shiney in the sunlight this afternoon I needed sunglasses (no exageration either).

I really hadn't appreciated what a difference claying could make. This was then followed by over 6 hours of machine polishing and then a final protective coat. Can't remember the names of half the stuff he put on the car, but it's damned impressive.

Piccies below to show the shine (taken just as the sun was going this afternoon so not the best quality).

Gaz
Last edited by GazHyde on Mon 04 Jul, 2011 17:18, edited 1 time in total.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

I bought a set of beige seats with the intention of recolouring them.

Bit the bullet and made a start this evening. The red one is halfway through the process and has had three coats of dye sponged on. Next step is to airbrush two more coats of dye over the top, then seal with a leather finisher.

Looks lighter than the picture makes it as the kitchen light isn't that good.

HI RES

House stinks to high heaven though what with the cocktail of leather prep, alcohol cleaner and dye...
Last edited by GazHyde on Thu 04 Nov, 2010 20:28, edited 2 times in total.
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Coming along nicely. Looking forward to finished pics :thumb:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

its a good finish.........i thought it might be quite patchy.........but I'm impressed 8-)
the badness makes me do it...!

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

To be honest it is a bit streaky. Think of it as looking a little like a first coat of gloss paint on wood. The three sponge coats are really just undercoating, and to make a key for the airbrush coats. Then it should look perfect (or so the website says...!)

Hopefully that make sense...
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Looks fab, the shine after the detailing looks fantastic!
Your doing alot to your zed when i thought you said you were selling soon for a bigger engined zed??
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

I think I have given up on the idea of trading up (for now). The backside seems to have fallen out of the used market (winter/economy etc), so I would take a big loss on mine which I can't justify at the moment.

So in the wartime spirit of 'mend and make do' I thought I would spend a bit and tart her up. A lot of the things I am doing/planning I can take off and take to the next car.

Gaz.
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Quick picture I just took. Gotta love how the rain beads on the paint work after the detailing work.

...and the best thing is nothing sticks to the paint, including bird crap!

Picture 1 - Picture 2

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

2 new Falken 452's fitted to the rear on Monday due to having a slow puncture one side, and a puncture on the other :head:

Wow, what a difference. Done a 120 miles on them so far, and there is so much more grip on the back end than the previous tyres. Probably no surprise as the old ones were bugdet tyres.

Event Tyres came out and did a great job, so thanks for all the previous recommendations on these guys.

(BTW, had Falkens fitted to my 525d three weeks ago, and they work really well on that too!).

Gaz
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Cheapo leather gear gaiter, which is an almost perfect colour match for the seats I am dyeing 8-) It did come with a handbrake gaiter as well, but that doesn't fit, darned eBay sellers.

jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

looks great and the same happened to me with the handbrake! but i did reorder from the guy topgaiters as for the money they are pretty good just send them an email and i'm sure they will sort you out.

jontymo
1998 2.8 Roadster "Gone but not forgotten"
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

If memory serves, there are two different handbrakes in the Z3 - one with a long gaiter and one with a short gaiter. I've got a long one. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

jontymo wrote:looks great and the same happened to me with the handbrake! but i did reorder from the guy topgaiters as for the money they are pretty good just send them an email and i'm sure they will sort you out.

jontymo
It was topgaiters, but I've had them over a month now just haven't fitted them.
Robert T wrote:If memory serves, there are two different handbrakes in the Z3 - one with a long gaiter and one with a short gaiter. I've got a long one. :D

Cheers R.
I have both now :oops:
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

OEM wind deflector fitted this morning (well it was my other Christmas present to myself!)... Really makes a difference, was much warmer this morning at speed (may have strayed a little north of 70 on the dual carriageway :D )

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Angel Eyes.. These have been driving me mad to get them fitted since they arrived a couple of weeks ago...

I am over the moon with these, they make a huge difference to the front of the car.

J1SUA

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by J1SUA »

Now those look awesome! Just read the journal. Nice work
T2k

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by T2k »

what a difference the angel eyes make! they really do add a great enhancement to the look of the front end. definitely on my list of to do's but i can't decide between black or chrome background...

keep up the nice mods!
T2K, Brit transplanted to NJ, USA
2000 2.8 Z3
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Couple of changes...

15mm alloy spacers finally fitted after receiving my new McGard locking nuts. Please excuse the dirty car! :oops:

My private plate finally transferred from my written off 525d.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

The spacers make a great improvement! Did you order them from ebay? as ive just ordered a set myself! :D Cant wait...
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Z3cade wrote:The spacers make a great improvement! Did you order them from ebay? as ive just ordered a set myself! :D Cant wait...
Private e-Bay listing. Someone who took them off his Z3 before selling it (included the bolts) - worked out at just under £28 inc postage. They have a few dings on them, but you cant see them with the wheels on!

The longer locking nuts were from Demon Tweeks (via e-Bay) and were about £27 delivered.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

You got a good deal there, just ordered a 15mm set with longer bolts for round £50

Have you thought about getting a set of chrome indicator bulbs for your front lights? only around £3 on ebay...
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Z3cade wrote:Have you thought about getting a set of chrome indicator bulbs for your front lights? only around £3 on ebay...
On the list. However, having spent a fortune on the car recently, I'm having to let my credit card take a rest for a while :bawl:

I'm tempted to post a list of what I have spent so far on her in the last 12 months, but fear it may depress me somewhat :shock:
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

GazHyde wrote:I'm tempted to post a list of what I have spent so far on her in the last 12 months, but fear it may depress me somewhat :shock:

But then go outside again, and cheer yourself up looking at what it was spent on.... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

gookah wrote:
GazHyde wrote:But then go outside again, and cheer yourself up looking at what it was spent on.... :D
Good call! I don't drink, smoke or gamble - petrol is my only vice!

She's sat waiting for me in the car park for the 30 mile drive home.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

GazHyde wrote:
gookah wrote:
GazHyde wrote:But then go outside again, and cheer yourself up looking at what it was spent on.... :D
Good call! I don't drink, smoke or gamble - petrol is my only vice!

She's sat waiting for me in the car park for the 30 mile drive home.
and i bet there isnt many, if any other Z3s in your car park either ;-)
the suns shining today so best get that roof down also... Youll soon forget about your c'card ;-)
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Z3cade wrote:and i bet there isnt many, if any other Z3s in your car park either ;-)
the suns shining today so best get that roof down also... Youll soon forget about your c'card ;-)
Saw a black Zed in the car park a while ago - looked mint!

Roof was down at 7am this morning once the frost had gone from the rear screen. Had to resort to my woolly hat for the first 10 miles :D
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

So much for easing off the credit card - New head unit time as I was fed up with the terrible sound quality of the OEM Business CD and only having 3 CD's!

So off down to Halfrauds to try and find something not too chavvy, or expensive... Ended up with this for a hundred notes - Sony MEXBT3800U Bluetooth and seems a good spec.

Ok, it's chavish and lit like a xmas tree but the sound is so much better even on the current standard speakers.

As it's Bluetooth it's got handsfree phone, as well as audio streaming from my iPhone 3GS.

Ekhangell

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Ekhangell »

It does suit the interior indeed. And the freehands calling is great, especially when standing at streetlights and talking to a friend - people are giving you weird stares, hearing a voice coming from the speakers and you talking to the windscreen.

I've got Clarion FB289RBT (like they couldn't have made the names more memory friendly...). A great unit, too.
I'm not a native speaker; sorry for eventual spelling/grammar mistakes.

1996 1.9 - old and shitty, but still Z3!
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Ekhangell wrote:people are giving you weird stares, hearing a voice coming from the speakers and you talking to the windscreen.
:roflmao:

Not thought of that because I normally use an 'in ear' headset!
GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

I've given up on the red interior idea. Picked these up today, along with a set of extended leather door cards.

The seats are in reasonable condition, suffering from the usual drivers bolster deterioration. Need to get myself organised to get them fitted. A job for next week!

jontymo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by jontymo »

Coming on nicely.

I was discussing how much i had spent on my Z with Swamper today and he's beating me LOL, we just have to keep it secret from the boss's.

Feels worth it though when we get in them.

Jontymo
1998 2.8 Roadster "Gone but not forgotten"
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

jontymo wrote:Coming on nicely.

I was discussing how much i had spent on my Z with Swamper today and he's beating me LOL, we just have to keep it secret from the boss's.

Feels worth it though when we get in them.

Jontymo
i know the feeling!.....
but yes when you get behind that wheel you know it was worth every penny.... ;-)

You'll love the m seats when there in... it'll feel like a different car....
well done ;-)