Aug 21: Swiss Z Rally 2005 -- "Z3 10th anniversary"

Photos and reports from past events
OliZ

M roadster S50

Aug 21: Swiss Z Rally 2005 -- "Z3 10th anniversary"

Post by OliZ »

Dear Z-Drivers,

So now it is offical: The date for the Swiss Z Rally 2005 is confirmed!

On August 21, 2005, there will be a large rally of Z cars organised by the BMW Z3 Club Vierwaldstättersee. From about ten starting points in Switzerland, the drivers will join a convoy for an organised route to meet at a suitable location for a gathering [TBA].

The main theme of this event will be the Z3 10th Anniversary.

We hope to have many Z3 drivers bringing all the different models, colours, options and special edition cars of all periods of production. We are looking forward to have some events and birthday specials on the gathering location.

Naturally, all drivers of cars of the BMW Z family (Z1, Z3, M roadster, M coupé, Z4, Z8) from all over the world are invited to join us on this great birthday event. We hope to see as many of you as there are!

:!: The :arrow: online registration system went online on April 1st -- and we also managed to get an English version online. So, if you would like to participate, please register.

To wet your appetite, please have a look at our past events:
2002 - Engelberg
2003 - Altishofen
2004 - Andermatt

Note: For BMW Club Members from England and France, it may be an interesting option to participiate the European Club Meeting held in Luxembourg from August 25 to 28 on your way home.
Last edited by OliZ on Fri 15 Apr, 2005 21:41, edited 2 times in total.
OliZ - webmaster of http://www.bmwz3club.ch

1998 ///M roadster, Imola Red - Imola/Black
2002 330i Touring, Black - Anthracite
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

As in previous years - I'll be going out and organising a convoy and a week full of driving routes - for 2005 Nick Snook and Gary Willn have offered to assist and take some of the days for routes as well - more details as we have them - but we have already done a fair bit of groundwork :wink:
OliZ

M roadster S50

Post by OliZ »

Way cool, David 8-)

Looking forward to seeing you guys again. And bring along all your friends!

BTW, is there a way to correct the title of a post? Unfortuantely, the date got cut...

garyw

Porsche

swiss 2005

Post by garyw »

OliZ, to confirm if you can put up with an outsider (but Zedaholic) once again, I will be coming along and enjoying your wonderful country and companionship.
Have put the date in my diary.

You can alter the title if you simply "edit" your message, top right of the message.

See you next year, I know of others in their Zeds who will be coming along, but will let them post.

Garyw
Nick

Porsche

Re: swiss 2005

Post by Nick »

garyw wrote:I know of others in their Zeds who will be coming along
Garyw

See you there :D

Nick
JAY
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by JAY »

i'm intersted in this one
Phil

M roadster S54

Marise and I will be there

Post by Phil »

Its in the diary and plans being made.
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."
OliZ

M roadster S50

Re: swiss 2005

Post by OliZ »

garyw wrote:OliZ, to confirm if you can put up with an outsider (but Zedaholic) once again, I will be coming along and enjoying your wonderful country and companionship.
Have put the date in my diary.
Sure! Looking forward to seeing you again!
Oh, and if you could get that Oxford Green disguise.... :twisted:
garyw wrote: You can alter the title if you simply "edit" your message, top right of the message.
Thanks for the hint. Some other kind soul already took care of that.
garyw wrote:See you next year, I know of others in their Zeds who will be coming along, but will let them post.
Way cool. Come all along. Let's make this the largest European Z gathering to date! :D

DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Possible dates for the UK Convoy and the subsequent driving days for the week after - these are the ones that are being chucked around between myself and the others who are going to be helping on the UK Convoy - 19th - 29th August 2005 - includes the bank holiday so we get a little extra time on the continent too

If you want to join - you can do so for as much or as little as you like - we'll post more details as we have them
Surj
Z Register organiser

Porsche

Post by Surj »

Hey Gary,

maybe we can form a group within a group - The Outsiders??? :wink:

Oli - look forward to it...

Surj
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Surj, excellent idea.. are you up for this then?

The Swiss did give me some funny looks at my oddly styled Z4 last year, but after trying to shake me off once or twice they did let me hang out with them.
Seriously after turning me away from the main car park on the day, a gentlemen chased me down the road in his Zed and asked if I was the Englander, when I replied I was he apologised for the misunderstanding and asked me to follow him into the carpark, even the marshall apologised for the misunderstanding.. and he didn't even know who I was(maybe it was the fine pink skin that gave me away :lol: ). they even found me a little place to park.. A lovely group of people, Even when I was in the convoy and what a convoy the guys were waving at us 8-)
really looking forward too it, Oh and did I mention the amazzzzzing roads :geek:
garyw
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

I'm signed up :D
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Oliz

Would a couple of BMW Motorräder be acceptable?

Tim
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Caspar wrote:David: You mentioned that the UK Z-Mafia plans to take a trip 19th to 29th of august, what are the plans for the other days then? I guess 19th and 20th are for getting down and two days back. There's still a week left for other fun stuff. What have you done in past years on these trips??
Ok we are still drawing up plans - but it might run something like this - this is rough - and is nothing like finalised - don't take any of this as gospel - certainly not the Monday thru Friday part of it

Thursday - Travel from UK to overnight stop in Champagne region
Friday - Travel from Champagne region to Swiss hotel - rendevous with Nick
Saturday - spent with the Swiss crew
Sunday - spent with the Swiss crew
Monday - Freeday in Rigi - or optional run
Tuesday - Swiss Passes run 1
Wednesday - Zug Run
Thursday - PanoramaStrasse run - combine with BBQ?
Friday - Engelburg run
Saturday - Swiss Passes run 2
Sunday - Travel from Swiss hotel to Vosge Mountains
Monday - Travel from overnight stop to UK

But since that was drawn up - we are now contemplating throwing Italy into the end of it - leaving Switzerland a day or two early and heading to the Italian passes - Stelvio & St Moritz maybe - but these are all just in the pot for planning at the moment - there is a group of us working on this - have a say and pipe up with bits you'd like.

We also have the benefit of Greg, Oliver and Alex this year -who all know various parts of Switzerland and whose knowledge we will be drawing on - I am hoping Greg will lead the Zug run and sort out the Rigi thing too, I am also trying to rope Alex into doing a run in his area

And we have the benefit of Phil and Gary who are going to organise some bits - good reputations precede them so it should be good :D

I am anticipating having to split the group into wings of no more than 5 or 6 - so wing leaders and sweepers will probably be needed for the various runs

It is an open forum - people can pitch in with ideas and the worst we can do is say "hmmmm" - if anyone wants to help out on coordinating things and convoys meeting up - email or PM me

With regard to convoys meeting up - great idea - we'll need to sort that - I am sure we can arrange our routes to converge - road convoy - yeah baby - we'll meet up with MarkB and others I hope too

In previous years, we have visited the Italian Lakes, many passes, Val D'Isere, Piz Gloria (which is a must for any Bond fan - expensive but if you only go there once - it is worth it), various parts of France and more

Accomodation will be in the form of hotels or camping - Nick will be the Camping Coordinator

Have I missed anything?

I guess it would be a good idea if those interested PM me with some details - Name, Car, Location, Dates interested in, Email Address, etc - please only do it if you are very interested and almost certain to be attending

:D
OliZ

M roadster S50

Post by OliZ »

Zmeagol wrote:Oliz

Would a couple of BMW Motorräder be acceptable?

Tim
:shock:
Ahem... Tim, is that your :cool: way of telling us you totaled your beautiful Z4 :?

OliZ

M roadster S50

Post by OliZ »

David, what about the European BMW Club Meeting in Luxemburg from the following Thursday to Sunday. Are there no BMW Club Members from England participating who would be interested in getting there on their way home?

Tim, maybe this is of interest to you?

garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

mmmm, Luxemburg... Cheap Petrol :bounce: to be used at the ring on the way home :pirate:
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

OliZ wrote:David, what about the European BMW Club Meeting in Luxemburg
Still at the planning stage for the whole trip
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

OliZ wrote::shock: Ahem... Tim, is that your :cool: way of telling us you totaled your beautiful Z4 :?
Goodness, no! But there's a lot of pistes worth exploring.

Tim
TonyCal

blank.gif

Post by TonyCal »

Members of the BMWCCGB South East regional committee are going to Luxembourg for the club europa event. I'm still not certain as to my plans for this yet, as it falls quite soon after our trip to Spa for the 24 hour race. I believe we are assisting in judging the concours at the club europa event, just hope its not like gaydon and we get to see some of whats going on while we are there.
If you are a member of BMWCCGB then you are automatically a member of club europa too, but you would need to ask the club office for your club europa membership cards.
OliZ

M roadster S50

Post by OliZ »

Zmeagol wrote:
OliZ wrote::shock: Ahem... Tim, is that your :cool: way of telling us you totaled your beautiful Z4 :?
Goodness, no! But there's a lot of pistes worth exploring.

Tim
Ah... good.
Then, how about getting a trailer for the bike :mrgreen:
(AKA "Z4 best of both worlds edition")

Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

David

I know you have the AA's Best Drives in Switzerland, but I've just got another book you might want to look at when you start doing some route planning for next year.

It's John Hermann's Motorcycle Journeys through the Alps and Corsica, available from Superbookdeals at £9.87. It has many of the smaller interesting roads such as the little diversion we did around the tunnel, and the road up to the glacier at the Susten Pass.

Tim
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Thanks Tim - just ordered it
Phil

M roadster S54

Book

Post by Phil »

I take it the roads are wide enough for 4 wheelers as well as 2---- :lol:
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Absolutely.

I've just been reading about the Tremola, the old cobblestone road that predates the modern St Gotthard road. There's another interesting road that carries on up from the top of the Grimsel Pass to Oberaarsee.

Tim
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Re: Book

Post by DavidM »

Phil wrote:I take it the roads are wide enough for 4 wheelers as well as 2---- :lol:
Phil - you have yet to see some of the roads we choose - last year included some awesome but narrow roads - including the one that Gary and I found up in the clouds with three tunnels
OliZ

M roadster S50

Post by OliZ »

Zmeagol wrote:I've just been reading about the Tremola, the old cobblestone road that predates the modern St Gotthard road.
That's a beautiful classic road, and with a little bit of luck you'll even come across one of the old Gotthard Post coach -- with a full living 5bhp.

However, as you can imagine, the road is pretty heavy on the cars, and depending on suspension, also to your spine. Look out for head sized stones laying around and large deep holes.
Zmeagol wrote:There's another interesting road that carries on up from the top of the Grimsel Pass to Oberaarsee.
(can't remember that one -- and my Route 66 doesn't show up pass names :roll: )

garyw

Porsche

swiss 2005

Post by garyw »

David, have you yet spotted any Hotels in Interlaken that take your fancy?
garyw

wonder if the AMV8 will be out by then :puzzle:
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Nope - u said that you and Jo were looking - so I haven't :oops: cos I figured you were :oops: been sorting other parts of it
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

OK , will persue more now we have a definate stopping place.
garyw
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

We have two - both Zug and Interlakken - Greg may be the chap to talk to for the Zug area though
F.Brossaud

Z1 roadster

Post by F.Brossaud »

Hello,

Some members of French Z1 club might be interested to join you.
Could you tell me if you plan to provide food and accomodation (if included in the registration fee) or if we have to find something by ourselves ?

Any information would be appreciated to plan a trip.
Thank you

Frederic
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

:shock: what, there's a registration fee :shock: :bawl:
The event is run by the swiss club as I'm sure you can see, however the trip over to Switzerland is coordinated from members on this board, not organised (think that's the best way to put it) meaning that there is no fees or registration to pay, we are like minded people who for some strange reason get on :roll: and plan together. Whilst you would be most welcome to join with us, you would responsible for booking your own accommodation and purchase of food.
The details will be posted once final plans are in place, I would suggest that you PM DavidM and he will keep you in touch as the details are confirmed. Sketchy details are that we would be in France on the 18th making our way to CH.
garyw
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

garyw wrote::shock: what, there's a registration fee :shock: :bawl:
First I heard of it - there hasn't been one for the last 3 years - they do ask for contributions at the end of the day - but that is voluntary - and based on the weekend you experience, you won't mind donating
ynysmeudwy

blank.gif

Post by ynysmeudwy »

Guys,

I have been a Z3 owner since the middle of last year and my wife and I were looking at touring Europe for the first time this summer.

It looks as though we could combine that in with this trip but could someone answer me a couple of "Newbie" questions:

1. Where do you stay (Hotels etc)
2. Is there anything worth knowing (For Newbies) about these trips.

Thanks

Martin
Phil

M roadster S54

Hotels

Post by Phil »

We will probably spend one night en route going there and back to split the journey. Someone is currently finding a Swiss hotel which we will book into although there is a camping option.
There is also a trip to the Harz mountains in Germany in April and a group of us going on that to meet up with about 60 other cars.

garyw

Porsche

Re: Newbie

Post by garyw »

ynysmeudwy wrote:Guys,
1. Where do you stay (Hotels etc)
2. Is there anything worth knowing (For Newbies) about these trips.
Martin, great car you have to Tour Europe with and this is a great event to see Europe.

In answer to your questions

1)There is a few of us planning this event, and in the background finding some great places to stop and see. If you PM DavidM he will keep you updated on plans when they are finalised. A Hotel will be suggested that has been recommended or found suitable for our purposes :? the details will be forwarded to yourself and it is then up to you if you wish to book the Hotel or find other accommodation, as Phil say's some hardened tourers do camp, and again hopefully a general site will be suggested to stay together.

2) Lots,
you must have a good time,
you must have your roof down at all times,
you must insult as many nationalities as possible
You will use lots of Petrol
:lol:
This year it looks like there will be a good mixture of driving and relaxing days, so something for everyone. Your passenger will enjoy it as much as yourself. If you require any more info then PM David or myself.
garyw
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

David,

You know M 8LUR, myself and wife will be there. Gives me over 6 months to sort out NOS.. :wink:

Can't wait... already pencilled as the highlight of my 2005 and it's only January.

Hopefully can tow M down to Midlands with X5 if it comes in time.. takes a bit of the nuisance British driving out of equation (i.e. M6).

PM with latest.
Best Rgds
Jon
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Yeah Jon - you are on the confirmed list - more details soon
jeffz3

M roadster S50

Post by jeffz3 »

F.Brossaud wrote:Some members of French Z1 club might be interested to join you.
Could you tell me if you plan to provide food and accomodation (if included in the registration fee) or if we have to find something by ourselves ?Any information would be appreciated to plan a trip.
Frederic
HELLO Fred ;) nice to meet you here ;) but it s not really a surprise for me :mrgreen:

many french Z3 owners will come in Swiserland this year (i was there at 2004 and 2003 events), and maybe some of theme will go to LUXEMBOURG meeting too. (as me :mrgreen: )

Further informations will be a good thing when you have it.
Thank you (and sorry for my horible "french primary scool" english :oops:)
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

Just a quick note from my side. I have been in conversation with DM and am loking in to hotels in the zug area. I will also look in to camp site options if people would like me to.

Once the accomodation is sorted I have a good excuse to dust of the Z (not been driven for 8 weeks) and start looking at some routes:-)
Nick

Porsche

Campsites

Post by Nick »

Thanks Greg,
Please look for a campsite within 10km of the selected hotel in Zug and let me have the details.

Nick
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

Hi Nick,

This is the first and only option I have found up till now. It's on the lake of Zug much closer to the city but about 10 mins away from one of the hotel options I am investigating.

http://www.tcs.ch/tcs.html?/TCS.jsp?lan ... Search.jsp

Not directly with TCS but in english:

http://www.swisscamps.ch/GB/zone4/index.html

Choose ny name or number from the left frame and it's the Innere Lorenzallmend

I am not aware of any other options but I will dig around.

Do you know of any useful www site for camping?

Cheers,

Greg
Nick

Porsche

Camping

Post by Nick »

The one you suggested looks fine thanks. I did manage to find this one as well from the Zug tourism site.

What do you think?

Camping Höllgrotten Baar
Meinrad Schürpf
Postfach 539
6341 Baar

Nick
RussJ

M roadster S54

Post by RussJ »

Hi,
Could you let me have more details in due course - me and the missus are a definite maybe...

Cheers

Russ
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

RussJ - we have almost all the details - we are waiting for one last hotel to come back to us with details - then we'll post the full thing - agenda, suggested hotels and campsites, meeting points, etc. Then it'll be up to people to book the crossings and hotels - and let me know when they are in for and whether they are staying with the main group and daytripping with us

Within a week - keep an eye on this thread

:mrgreen:
AlexC

M roadster S52

Two more coming.

Post by AlexC »

Lorraine and I will be there for the weekend event (not sure about the other days due to bloody work commitments- again!).
Will be great to see you all again, enjoyed the Susten Pass run last year with the 'Stein Glacier' despite David's cattlegrid trip :oops:
I'll put my thinking cap on for routes here close to Interlaken.
Gary- if your looking for Interlaken hotels, the Beau Rivage is a very impressive and posh five star but not too expensive. Victoria Jungfrau is the best but very snobby with a price to match. There are also a number of great camp sites, but they can get quite crowded though.
Regards from a very snowy Switzerland
Alex
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Alex - email inbound to you chaps

There is a task in there for you also

Hey is the BBQ offer still open?
M Blur
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by M Blur »

RussJ wrote:Hi,
Could you let me have more details in due course - me and the missus are a definite maybe...

Cheers

Russ
Great news.. be good to finally meet up m8. It's good to know there are a few couples going.. I know my wife will be relieved.. she thought I was tryign to drag her on some gumball rally.. :lol:

I'm sure we will all appreciate the power of Racelogic my friend. :!: :wink:
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Blur, let your wife know that my wife will be there also, the only time it will be Gumball rally'ish is the Monday night....Hooters here I come baby :bounce:

I have booked the Tunnel on Wednesday night(17th), a late crossing(missing the traffic on the M25) a then stopping on at the Golf club Hotel in Arras, about 1hr out of Calais.
I took advantage of the cheap crossing rates from the chunnel and as long as I return on a crossing before 11am (which I am) its going to cost £98.00, Golf club has only cost £50, but I could chosen the tyre fitting centre known as Formule1 for a little as £17 :shake:
garyw