Any ideas what my Zed is worth?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Any ideas what my Zed is worth?

Post by TitanTim »

Hi all,

After alot of thought I have decided I will be swapping the Z3 for a 3.0L Z4 once I have found a good example, which brings me around to what it might be worth both as a trade in and as a private sale :lol:

Anyways its a.......

2001 1.9 Roadster Sport.

23,000 miles with full BMW service history.

Becker Cascade Pro with integrated Sat Nav.

A few ACS add ons, unmarked Type 3 alloys with unworn tyres etc

Summer use only :lol:

Excellent all round condition.

I have been looking at the usual selling sites on prices but there are few Z3s with a low mileage.

Any ideas on price would be welcome.

Cheers,

Tim.

P.S. just to clarify the Zed isn't for sale at this time, just after some advice on its value :)
Last edited by TitanTim on Mon 15 Aug, 2011 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

Tim, my z3 3.0l 2000 was quoted at £4000 trade in, and private sale was around £5000. Unfortunately the prices for our cars are very low at the moment.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

macca wrote:Tim, my z3 3.0l 2000 was quoted at £4000 trade in, and private sale was around £5000. Unfortunately the prices for our cars are very low at the moment.
Cheers Macca, the upside is so are buying prices for Z4s which is what is tempting me to change :lol:

I paid £10995 for the Z3 3 years back :shock: :(

Tim.
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

TitanTim wrote:
macca wrote:Tim, my z3 3.0l 2000 was quoted at £4000 trade in, and private sale was around £5000. Unfortunately the prices for our cars are very low at the moment.
Cheers Macca, the upside is so are buying prices for Z4s which is what is tempting me to change :lol:

Tim.
That's absolutely right Tim. It's all relative, it's ok if your buying a z4 but crap if you need the money for something else.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

macca wrote:
TitanTim wrote:

Tim.
That's absolutely right Tim. It's all relative, it's ok if your buying a z4 but crap if you need the money for something else.
lol, well at the moment who needs money for anything, alot of people just go into shops and help themselves!! :|

Tim.
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

what sort of age Z4 you looking for Tim ? As mine might be for sale in the next few months . :(

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

try this website Tim. :wink:

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Canman wrote:try this website Tim. :wink:
Jeez that's frightening :(
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

MickJ wrote:
Canman wrote:try this website Tim. :wink:
Jeez that's frightening :(
Same here!! But you cant go on these for prices as its what the markets like for your model and what people are paying...

Tim with your milage, history etc.. Id be asking £6.5k ono
but it would be worth asking for a px price on a z4 as dealers would snap your hand off for a low milage example like yours...

Good luck and your going to love that straight 6 burble... ;-)
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Mouldy

Not specified

Post by Mouldy »

Despite the mileage, I still think that most people would be thinking very hard about spending huge amounts of hard earned on a 1.9 and all of the extras you've fitted would make it more attractive to a buyer, but not realise the amount of money that you might expect.

Let's be fair, with the the cost of all the extras you've added, you could be looking at a cracking low mileage ///M on your drive and I know what I'd prefer. Even if you asked somewhere around £6.5 - £7K, you would be in very nice 3.0 litre territory and close to a reasonable ///M.

Money is tight and buyers are not easy to find, as I recently found out. I advertised mine on Autotrader and Pistonheads, only had two serious enquiries in 3 weeks and ended up losing a fortune over the two and a half years I owned the car.

In my opinion, it would be financially better to take some of the extras off and returning it to nearer standard condition and then selling them separately, such as your wheels, mats, radio and Forum famous (gear) knob , because they will get you more money that way.

If I remember correctly, you sold the original wheels on, but get a set of standards off eBay for about £300 and surely yours would be worth much more than that auctioned afterwards.

If you read the motoring press, there have been many reports about what optional extras actually retain any of their cost when the time comes to move a car on, but most will only help in the description and not with the money you get back.

Good luck with the sale, when the time comes.
Last edited by Mouldy on Tue 16 Aug, 2011 10:09, edited 1 time in total.

Skoda Octavia vRS TSi DSG on Tour at Rocamadour
noZyet

blank.gif

Post by noZyet »

Have you really thought this through, Tim. The Z4's are just so plasticcy (??!!) and tinny IMHO - they just don't seem have the same substance as the 3's at all. Dashboard is just the worst!! Only redeeming feature (at least on the new ones) is that they've finally caught up with the foldaway roof - which I can assure you is the business - no more cracked winter windows to worry about!! Roof off whenever!!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Thanks for your messages everyone, much appreciated,

Kevan how come your selling yours? :( I think I have pretty much settled on a 3.0L either in Black or Titanium but has to have red leather interior and a manual box.

Its a really hard decision if I sell the Z3 :( I still love it and this morning driving around and parking it up and looking back it still looks stunning but I will be perfectly honest its never been the zed I wanted it to be as at the time 3 years back I bought purely on condition and mileage rather than spec not withstanding I have still enjoyed the car.

I'm really not sure I would get 6K for it or anywhere near that figure, probably less than 5K. I appreciate I will not get my money back on the mods I have done but then again you dont do them to make money on a car. If I decide to sell privately then I will keep the bits on the car as I imagine it will be more apealling and would sell alot faster with them on.

I have thought of a Z3M but to be perfecty honest Im pretty turned off by the archilles heel on these cars with the diff mound and boot seams and I just fancy something a bit more refined, another turn off is the plastic rear screen on the Z3s which has always spoilt the car personally for me.

Well will see what happens and I'm scanning whats around locally in the Z4 market, but I'm no rush and whatever Z4 comes along its got alot to live upto compared my Z3 :)

Tim.
Lazzzydog

blank.gif

Post by Lazzzydog »

When you do come around to selling it be sure to advertise it as the best example of a 1.9 in the country, don't be shy and ask absolute top money. Eventually there is always a buyer for quality. Good luck.
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

Lazzzydog wrote:When you do come around to selling it be sure to advertise it as the best example of a 1.9 in the country

I agree with Lazzydog, you would be hard pushed to find a better 1.9 than yours.

You say you would probably get under 5k, I reckon for one of the best 1.9's around it must be worth at least 5k.

Have you driven a Z4 yet Tim to compare the different driving experience.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Good luck to you on the sale if you decide to, tried mine on here not even a sniff, just about to click over to 30k miles and in excellent condition was hoping around the £5k mark, want a E46 convertible so looks like it will be chopped in this coming weekend and take a big hit, bought it in March for £6.4k spent another £1300 on it getting to how I wanted it, the market crashing regards convertibles, blame the weather maybe lol
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

TitanTim wrote: Kevan how come your selling yours? :Tim.
Its not a financial descision , not the end of a love affair , its simply the weakening of my left arm..
my Z3 is now in permanent hybernation ( untill the day my son can drive, he's only 14 :? ) as the manual is now too much.
Im gonna enjoy the Z4 for another few months then hand in my liscence and sell the Z4.
A 3.0 Z4 is an awesome motor dont let anyone put you off Tim. :lol:

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Lazzzydog wrote:When you do come around to selling it be sure to advertise it as the best example of a 1.9 in the country, don't be shy and ask absolute top money. Eventually there is always a buyer for quality. Good luck.
cheers Lazzzydog :)

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Ragtop wrote:
Lazzzydog wrote:When you do come around to selling it be sure to advertise it as the best example of a 1.9 in the country

I agree with Lazzydog, you would be hard pushed to find a better 1.9 than yours.

You say you would probably get under 5k, I reckon for one of the best 1.9's around it must be worth at least 5k.

Have you driven a Z4 yet Tim to compare the different driving experience.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Thanks Ragtop, I think thats the problem, if a car is in very good condition but getting on a bit its hard to know whether anyone would pay that that much more for it over your average higher mileage motor, I would be happy if its its worth more than 5K.

I have driven a 2.5SE a while back and its hard to compare to the Z3, for me its a more refined ride bar the runflats, in many ways its pretty similar to my 1 Series. I would agree with what someone else has mentioned that parts of the Z4 don't feel as well made as the Z3 but overall it feels more solid and stable, but then it should be being more modern.

I have seen this Z4 not far from me, tempting as its only got 23k on the clock but not quite the spec I want, shame as its immaculate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2005-54-BMW-Z ... 2a1322573e

Tim.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Canman wrote:
Its not a financial descision , not the end of a love affair , its simply the weakening of my left arm..
my Z3 is now in permanent hybernation ( untill the day my son can drive, he's only 14 :? ) as the manual is now too much.
Im gonna enjoy the Z4 for another few months then hand in my liscence and sell the Z4.
Cheers Kevan, I'm really sorry to hear this but great your keeping a Zed in the family that will still give enjoyment :lol: . Well don't be so hasty selling the Z4, I would hold onto it for as long as you can, can't the other half drive it? I think I would keep it anyways :lol:

Best wishes,

Tim.
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

Canman wrote:
I totally agree with that statement.
Ian Kelly

M roadster S50

Post by Ian Kelly »

If you want to depress yourself about prices / establish what 'rock bottom' is, try the annoyingly-jingled 'we-buy-any-car'.

I checked the value of my (really nice IMO!) Z3M on there, apparently they would buy it immediately for £3,100...
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Ian Kelly wrote:If you want to depress yourself about prices / establish what 'rock bottom' is, try the annoyingly-jingled 'we-buy-any-car'.

I checked the value of my (really nice IMO!) Z3M on there, apparently they would buy it immediately for £3,100...
Cheers Ian, I depressed myself last year with them when selling the 1 Series, they offered me £1600 less than what the BMW dealer offered, whats worse is once they have your e-mail they wont leave you alone, they must have e-mailed each day for a month :(

Tim.
macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

TitanTim wrote:
Ian Kelly wrote:If you want to depress yourself about prices / establish what 'rock bottom' is, try the annoyingly-jingled 'we-buy-any-car'.

Cheers Ian, I depressed myself last year with them when selling the 1 Series, they offered me £1600 less than what the BMW dealer offered, whats worse is once they have your e-mail they wont leave you alone, they must have e-mailed each day for a month :(

Tim.
Tim, I tried them they quoted £2145. You can stop the emails etc. Get the offer screen back up and somewhere on the page is a " button" that says something like "no further contact on this offer".
PVR
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by PVR »

You can only look at the cost to change really.

Realistically, you are looking at getting perhaps 4 - 4.5k for your car and if the replacement as you posted is obtainable for say 9k, you spend 5k for a 3 - 4 year younger car with a bigger engine etc etc.

That is only just 1.5k per newer year more which I think is not a lot.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

There are m cars selling from 6000 upto 17000 depending on where you look.

Main dealer, private etc.

It's what people will pay not the valuation on these sites.

You will get a more realistic quote on what car, but it's still not a real reflection of value.

:D

The 'BEAST' 666
Diamondj

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Diamondj »

Those valuations on that site don't seem to be close to actual reality. I've seen my own car (identical models), with similar mileages up for nearly double what the site just quoted and that wasn't an isolated incident, most similar cars were up for that sort of money :?
02 2.2 Sport in Estoril Blue.......Sweet

pete59

Z3 roadster 2.0

auction prices

Post by pete59 »

bawtry motor auction last wed,2002 z3 1.9 45k,full service good cont £2,300,fri z3 silver 2001 2.2 57k only made £2,150,and a 1999 2.0 has remain un sold for three weeks,makes you wonder just how far prices wll go,i no this is a auction but thats cheap.
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: auction prices

Post by TitanTim »

pete59 wrote:bawtry motor auction last wed,2002 z3 1.9 45k,full service good cont £2,300,fri z3 silver 2001 2.2 57k only made £2,150,and a 1999 2.0 has remain un sold for three weeks,makes you wonder just how far prices wll go,i no this is a auction but thats cheap.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Tim. :head:
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

I wanted a Z3M, but an immaculate very low milage 3.0 2001 model came up for sale so I went for a look. After about 5 seconds of driving it I knew I didn't need a Z3M. After 3 weeks of ownership (and about 1000 miles) I couldn't be happier, 6 grand well spent. The guy selling the car had to drop it from 7 grand to interest me. You may loose money on the sale of your existing car, but at least you should get a good deal on the car you end up buying.

As for the sale of your existing car, I'm in a similar pickle. My ST220 is valued at about £5200, it is on the market for £3995 with no takers. Sporty cars just aren't popular at the moment. :(
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
pete59

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by pete59 »

tim i didnot put this up to make you bang your head against a wall,this auction is mostly dealers,so the prices are only a trade refection,but i know friends who work there and petrol cars with 2.0l upwards are not getting there value.and they tell me bmw merc ect are very poor,i have no intention of selling my zed so i am not fused,could be a while before any thing improves,i am sure the right time and person who wants what you have and it ticks there boxs ,then ask your price.good luck.pete
MickJ

Z4 sDrive35iS

Post by MickJ »

Found a dealer with a nice looking E46 Ci i'm interested in who also happens to have a Z3 2.0 '99 with 50k looks tidy but they all do in the photo's they are asking £4999 for it be interesting to see what they offer me :cry:
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Tim, if you sell zeddy can i please have your chrome gills, i promise to do something useful with them :roflmao:

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

seasurfer wrote:Tim, if you sell zeddy can i please have your chrome gills, i promise to do something useful with them :roflmao:

Gill
:lol: as its you Gill I will cover them in chocolate first and dip them in hundreds and thousands :D

Tim.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Sounds better than what i had in mind for them :D

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

seasurfer wrote:Sounds better than what i had in mind for them :D

Gill
No you can't use them on the barbeque :shock: :lol:

Tim.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Your crystal ball must be clear tonight - i was going to put a fish between them for the barby :D but the chocolate would melt :bawl:

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Diamondj

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Diamondj »

I've been looking at Z4's since reading this thread and do you know what, money aside.....i wouldn't have one!
This is by no means a knock on that car or those who have one as i'm sure they are great but i just don't think they are as nice to look at, personally the Z3 is just a much more attractive car (IMO).
I will admit to liking the "new Z4", a guy near me has one in white and looks like an M Sport and it is rather tasty but until that option arises i think i'll be sticking with my 3 :) :)
02 2.2 Sport in Estoril Blue.......Sweet

Phil

M roadster S54

Post by Phil »

Yeah £4250 for my S54 M
Sapphire black/Imola red and black interior/ red roof/ S54 - the only RHD one made.

"The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire."

Post by Guest »

I think the market is depressing because the demand goes down this time of year, you can see it on the parts on ebay, tonneau covers during December were 20 - 30 quid, during April / May they were fetching 80 - 90 quid, I have just bought mine for 40.

The same is with the cars, I paid 3k for mine in January, the same model / mileage wass fetching 4k in May, now comming down.

The reason is people are driving rather than buying.

If you wait you will get a higher price. Another factor worth considering is that these cars are now classed as a classic and are starting to hit the classic car scene, so the values will again start to rise, it is just a matter of a waiting game.

What you have noticed though is that the price of all other roadster type cars has reduced so the value variance between a Z3 and Z4 is still the same, just at a lower total aquisition cost.

Based on the above I would sell and buy now, you wont lose out as the value differnce will be roughly the same, and come Spring next year you will see the value rise. The only real winners here are the speculative car buyers, who buy a car in a depressed market , hold on and sell in a bouyant market. when changing cars it does not matter.

Hope I am helpful here, think you need get passed the actual values and look at the variables between the two.

P.S. I will give you £60........if you leave the Gear Knob on!! :D
woodsta888

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by woodsta888 »

If you want an idea of informed rock bottom then it has to be what a trader would give you in part exchange.

Use NetworkQ website for dealer trade in prices, it uses the glasses car guide and it's free, with options to alter the mileage for your car. I'd consider this rock bottom. As mentioned above, We buy any car (for FA) is for the uninformed or the desperate and IMHO the absolute bottom.

I bought the other half a Z3 recently after driving cars we were trying to buy that were economical and practical. Nothing she liked. So I asked her what she wanted and she said a Z3. I thought these were expensive but it seems agreeable with what others say, that they aren't fetching the money at the moment and they were less than I thought. I've never owned a BMW before, but what I will say after buying the Z3 is that it will be the marque I consider first for our next car.

And I must thank this very informative website and it's contributors for an informed purchase.

What with the rise in insurance, cost of petrol and the cost of all the other essentials rising far faster than peoples wages. It's the luxuries that go first. It's like moving up the housing ladder. Z3's for Z4's or any other large engined car it's relative. Asking prices are one thing, sale prices are another. For a good idea for what you are selling or want to buy is worth, use the completed listing button on ebay to see what you are selling/buying is going for privately.

For auction prices you'll want to add 10-20% to the NetworkQ prices if you decide to go the auction route as a freind worked out what the difference was before setting his max at auction before he got possessed by the 'have to have it' syndrome. He watched many cars go through and used networkQ to work out the difference.

All the best, hope you get what you want and at the right price. Good luck!