clutch change

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

clutch change

Post by pedro20001 »

hi, anyone any ideas how much a clutch replacement is on a six cylinder zed ? I am not 100% sure its on its way out but the pedal seems to be a bit higher although there is no slip. I have had an earls hose fitted about 4 months ago and am wondering whether it was bled correctly? I also sometimes get a thump from underneath the car when i select first from neutral, hope this makes sense :!:
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

No sense at all pedro :|
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

sorry pedro but Hornel :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

sorry guys! basically it feels as if the bite point has raised so when the clutch is fully engaged there is very little top play on the clutch stroke however there is no slip. When i had the earls braided hose replaced the clutch action improved massively but seems to have almost gone back to how it was before. also sometimes engaging first from neutral there is a thump which i can feel almost underneath the drivers seat. i was wondering if the clutch is on the way out ( 39k miles) or couls the slave cylinder be playing up. I have had a reply saying that the dual mass flywheel was replaced along with a new clutch from one member and this improved matters no end but this is mega money :cry: hope this helps and any response is appreciated, cheers pete
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Don't know about price, but Google should help find parts price.£150 approx
Probably not bled properly as the slave cylinder should be bled with bleed nipple upwards and pin retracted. This can only be done with cylinder unbolted from the car and a tool is needed to keep the pin retracted while the fluid is bled.

Clunking can be caused by many things, but it is usually a loose (or worn) mounting or bolt. Get under the car and check the power train for looseness. Also, do you allow time for the synchro to match speed before engaging. I use 2nd synchro before engaging 1st when stationary, and double de-clutch when moving. It makes for smooth changes every time.

There is a tool for checking platewear thickness. It is available from Baum. I've not seen one for sale in this country and I don't know if Baum ship to UK.see 212080
Last edited by pingu on Sat 24 Sep, 2011 20:59, edited 3 times in total.
Pingu
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Hi Pete. I would think the clutch has settled in after the clutch hose fitted and you have now got used to it. unless there is a grating or shudder in the clutch i wouldnt think there is anything wrong. you can sometimes get a thump when you engage first gear usually if you rev the car before engaging. Hold the clutch down for a few more seconds before you engage. :wink:
hornel Z3M

blank

Post by hornel Z3M »

There is a tool for checking platewear thickness. It is available from Baum. I've not seen one for sale in this country and I don't know if Baum ship to UK.

So take the car to Baum :roflmao:
pedro20001

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by pedro20001 »

cheers guys, i absolutely love my zed, it sound absolutely crazy when revved ( 2.2) and as i work with brand new toyotas all day long, its nice to get into something with a bit of soul and puts a smile on my face everytime i drive it! 8-)