Battery Dead?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Battery Dead?

Post by LookinFoolish »

Spent my first week at Uni, only to come back, try and start up my Z3, only to find out it didn't.....

It made a juddery sound (sorry for bad description) and wouldn't start the engine. It did 'try' to turn on, but just wouldn't.

Can i charge the battery whilst it's still in the car? Because when i try to take it out, the alarm goes off because it thinks it's discharging/low voltage and i cant seem to stop the alarm.
Last edited by LookinFoolish on Mon 26 Sep, 2011 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

What i'm asking is:

A) is it safe to charge the battery whilst it's in the car, or no? because it could damage the altenator?
B) How do i take the battery out without the alarm going off?
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Right listen ... You can charge the battery on the car using the cigarette lighter but the charger must be the trickle charge type you can get on e-bay. to take the battery off lift the bonnet and you should have a round key (depending on the Year ) and find the siren, usually to the right at the rear of the engine bay,and turn the siren off. Easy :|
LookinFoolish

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by LookinFoolish »

ok thanks ive not got tool to charge from cigarette lighter but ive took battery out :) trickle charge time!
1997 BMW Z3 1.9l
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

if you look under the bonnet there is a small box with a red plus sign on it lift the box there is a metal rod. attatch the positive, red terminal (+) to it and the negative (-) black terminal to a nut on the body this charges the battery without removal

:)
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

Or just charge the battery in the boot with a usual battery charger... Or am I missing something?
Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

RemarkLima wrote:Or just charge the battery in the boot with a usual battery charger... Or am I missing something?
Bollokos (from the greek) why didnt I think of that :D
RemarkLima

M roadster S50

Post by RemarkLima »

Bill- wrote:
RemarkLima wrote:Or just charge the battery in the boot with a usual battery charger... Or am I missing something?
Bollokos (from the greek) why didnt I think of that :D
LOL! I was wondering if there's some electrical gremlin that would cause it to die, blow fuese etc..?
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

If you have a load of gear in the boot it is easier to use the jump start connectors under the bonnet.I always use these with any charger.

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
T48 TRE

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by T48 TRE »

I have to agree with Frank.A i too use the + and - posts under the bonnet to charge the battery, which I do with a trickle charger. I use the type that can be left on all the time, which would be handy for you, as you could leave it on when you go to Uni. I have the type that charges up initially, then monitors the battery charge, and tops up as required.
Regards
Albert.
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

BMW Manual says----- Always charge the battery in the car using the jump-start point and groung in THE ENGINE compartment and not the boot :nerd: