Falken 912s all round now-thoughts

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Falken 912s all round now-thoughts

Post by alec.m »

Finally replaced the rears with 912s a couple of weeks ago and now have them all round. I`m very happy with them and they are supurb on damp roads. I had F1s on the back before and the ASC light used to do a lot of winking if you accelerated hard on a damp road. Given it the beens out of a roundabout in pouring rain and no probs. Fronts take you round a corner as fast as I dare with no feeling that your going to lose it. I`m impressed, great tyes for the money.
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

Another vote for 912's :D'

I had F1's on my old wheels but needing new tyres for the other set I went with 912's and they have been fine - just be interested to see how long they last now.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

As I have said on many occasions,I fitted 912s last year and they cured the tramlining that I experienced with 452s and F1s,have good grip and are very quiet. :thumb:

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Hi Frank. Everyone that has put 912s on has been pleased with them and some of us that had tramlining problems have had an improvement or cure useing them yet not many people even consider fitting them. I wonder if people like the racey "sexy" tread pattern of 512s and other brands with a similar tread pattern.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

I have posted my experiences of 3 different cars and 4 different makes of directional tyres(including 452s) fitted on the front (which didn't exist when the Zed and the other 2 cars were produced).

I agree with you that many people simply go by the look of the tyre tread and this is borne out by my local tyre dealer.

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

Tread pattern has never mattered to me. I have 452's on the rear of mine, and purely on the recommendation of the ZRoadster members who rave about them.

I also have 912s on the front of my diesel Cooper, so can speak from experience of both. The Cooper will from now on stay with 912s and the Z3 will stay with 452s

I'm not sure what the issue is here. I have tyres which work well on my car, and you have tyres which work well on your car.

Who is right? Well it appears we both are! Surely thats a win for everyone? :cheers

Gary
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Hi Gary ,the point that I am making is that it's the tyres on the front that matter to the feel of the car. Falken 452s on the rear are fine but I couldn't live with them on the front.
What have you got on the front of the Zed.If you swapped front to back I think that you would appreciate my point.

Bill-

blank.gif

Post by Bill- »

Are not the rears a different size to the front frank.. Mine are & I have Dunlops on my Car. very Sexy tread pattern 8-)
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

Bill- wrote:Are not the rears a different size to the front frank.. Mine are & I have Dunlops on my Car. very Sexy tread pattern 8-)
It all depends on your wheels Bill.Some are and some aren't

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

I agree that is good point and I will admit to having asymmetric Continental Sports on the front. My wheels are all the same width, and at some stage they will now be switched front to rear to see whether it makes any difference (just purely out of interest)

They won't last forever, and will need changing at some stage, most likely for 452's. They are as Falken describe them on their website their "Flagship high performance tyre", so seem to be a sensible choice.

My only other experience of bad tyres on my Z3 was the shocking selection of tyres it came with. Of the 4 tyres, all were budget and from 3 different manufacturers. But I had no problem with handling at all on those.

It's one of the things that has surprised me from coming on this forum is the amount of people who suffer tram lining. Just not anything I have experienced, even with the 18's on.

Some Zeds seem more prone to it than others, and reading this forum there are so many different solutions for the same problem.

Still, this is an interesting debate for a Saturday evening 8-)
pete59

Z3 roadster 2.0

452s

Post by pete59 »

ive got 452s all round 225 front 255 rear,they are fantastic in the wet,and not a bit of tramlineing.on 17 inch rims.
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Frank.A »

It's a topic that keeps resurfacing.

I have had F1s,FK452s,Michelin Pilot Sport and 912s on the front of my Zed.

The tramlining was very pronounced with the F1s,slightly improved with the 452s,cured with the Michelins and 912s.The bonuses with the 912s are cost and quietness.

The cars was fitted with strut brace,butt strut and poly bushes for the whole time.

I reckon that if anyone has tramlining problems and the car will pass an MoT in respect of bushes and ball joints,then the problem is down to the tyres on the front,as many have found to be the case.

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Well i can answer for you... i have Falken 452s on the rear and 912s on the front of my 18s... a very good set up....

The bonus of having 452s on the rear is you can flip them round on the alloys when they are half worn as they always wear more on the inside due to the camber of the rears.... but you cant do this with 912s as they have an outside/inside wall....
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3

Post by Guest »

Guys, I have budgets, and i have struts all round and new OEM bushes all round, no tramlining, not worried about handling as drive within the limits of the conditions, and even budgets have to meet strict minimum requirements, learned this when purchasing tyres for Jag, the compounds on budgets and the branded were the same........................same with Chocolate Biscuits and Tomato Ketchup, Mcvities and Heinz all make the budget brand white labels for the super markets.

The Brand itself carries a premium.....................
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Thats what were saying.. Falkens are budget/mid range tyres..
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

I've just done the 912s all round, and they seem to be much better than the old mix I have. Need to do a few more miles, and finish refurbing the suspension before I can truly comment, but they seem good.
Cheers

Marc
paulb1976

Post by paulb1976 »

912's and 452's are good value for money however the latter seem to wear a bit quicker I find, and not as good in colder weather. 912's seem to be a good compromise but the Hankook ventus evo's have a pretty good write up for the same money and vredestein sessanta's are excellent but appear to going up in price.