Forum member suffering from - Motor Neurone disease

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
Desiro

M roadster S50

Forum member suffering from - Motor Neurone disease

Post by Desiro »

Canman

Canman has been an active member on here for many years.
Some of you will know him personally, a regular on all the Northern events. Others will know him from his witty and informative posts.
Last week I asked Kevan (canman) how he was and this was his reply.
lost my right arm now, a bit of movement left in my left. Unable to feed, dress and wash now. But, I’m happy and still love life.
What a very positive and inspiring response from someone with this incurable disease.

So what is MND?

Motor Neurone Disease (MND) is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that attacks the upper and lower motor neurones.
Degeneration of the motor neurones leads to weakness and wasting of muscles, causing increasing loss of mobility in the limbs, and difficulties with speech, swallowing and breathing.

Canman continues to receive a lot of help from the MND association.

http://www.mndassociation.org/index.html

So I suggest we do something in aid of the charity.

A couple of ideas maybe:-

A coast to coast cruise
A Zedfest
A track day

Many of you will be much better at this than me so please put forward your ideas and we can vote for the best suggestions.
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Mnd

Post by Titan »

Nice idea Desiro :thumb:
You have PM
Image :devil:
hornel Z3M

blank

m

Post by hornel Z3M »

great idea, if some cant make it we could still make a donation. :idea:
Canman has shown great courage and deserves a treat. :wink:
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Good idea, I am sure it will be well supported by forum members including me :thumb:
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
EnthuZiaZT

Z3 roadster 2.0

Mnd

Post by EnthuZiaZT »

Hi Jamezee, what a great idea.
Perhaps at the 500 ZFEST in JULY we could ask participants for £10 per car in aid of this charity, which will give the charity added publicity. we may even get donations from other people on the day. :)
what do you think :?:
Mike & Sandy - Mora Metallic Individual 2.0L

IMG_1038.jpg~originalImage
pingu

M roadster S50

Re: Forum member suffering from - Motor Neurone disease

Post by pingu »

Desiro wrote:A couple of ideas maybe:-

A coast to coast cruise
A Zedfest
A track day
Does Canman have any preferences?

I'm interested in doing something "extreme" in the next 12 months - I'm just looking for the right reason.

I'm considering...

NEWS Tour - North (Dunnet Head), East (Lowestoft), West (Land's End), South (Lizard Point)

or

the longest possible straight line walk in Britain - Gruinard Bay to Brighton (I've still to do anything more than look at a map, but that's how a plan starts)
Pingu
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

hi, firstly many thanks to Desiro for this and other members on here (you know who you are :wink: ) that are there for me as i go through this unfortunate journey.
My passion for Zed's is as strong as ever , even though i can no longer drive. My spirit and enthusiasm for life is stronger.

As each day passes my mobility decreases a little more but i see each day as a blessing and a personal challenge. very much like writing this :head:

What important for the MNDA motor neurone disease association , is not just raising money for research for a cure or to find out what causes it. Its also raising awareness, as this will then lead to donations.

There are approx 5000 sufferers in the uk, with average life expectancy of 3 to 5 years. With no cure or any medication to slow or stop the progression.
At 41 im one of the younger ones. :(

I have no objections to whatever is decided and fully support it. Iwill be at Zedfest no matter what. :D

I hope we can do something thats fun and exciting , thankyou from the heart. :bow

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

we dont have to do just one thing...hmmm having a think

you know how we get the hairdressers ..............im thinking wigs /curlers :shock:

the thing is people are going to be stretched to just make a donation just for us to go on a run...............but throw a bit of comedy into it..... :wink:

down the strip at santapod... :D
the badness makes me do it...!

pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

swamper wrote:but throw a bit of comedy into it..... :wink:

down the strip at santapod... :D
Anyone else up for it? - not me :shock:
Pingu
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mac The Tank »

Up for a laugh and willing to make a fool of myself on a frequent basis - always glad to offer my services to a worthy cause.

Much respect,
Mac
Mac
Topaz Blue 2.2i Y2001 - only 16045 miles on the clock! (2011)
Update 04/14 - 18,702 miles
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

or a paid seat...iv put the suggestion forward to the OH about giving her seat up and getting mates to pay a donation to the charity for a day out on a cruise....already had one of my mates wanting to do this :wink:

GazHyde

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by GazHyde »

It has to be said that Kevan's attitude is an inspiration!

I'm more than happy to do something daft or join in whatever gets arranged...
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

I do this walk every year for charity and am always looking for inspirational causes. More than happy to walk for MND in 2012..........so long as I get lots of zroadster sponsors :wink:

Starting to do more planning for zed fest and am now looking for volunteers to coordinate & lead groups from north, south, east and west to Silverstone. I wasn't going to advertise this until next month but as it's come up here I thought I'd mention it now. Let me know by pm if you're interested.

Glad to see you've still got the zed bug Kevan :thumb:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

A few of us went out for a Christmas meal with Kevan last night which was very enjoyable and just brought home how determined Kevan is to live life to the full despite this disease's best attempts to cut it short so I think everyone present was in admiration of his immense courage to battle through.

Some of us have already done things to help Kevan and also donated to the cause so anything more that can be done to either help Kevan or other sufferers of MND is welcome because until you see first hand what this disease can do to a person you will never appreciate how debilitating it is.

It would certainly be great to do something at next years zedfest as I know Kevan is determined to attend this no matter what so come on guys put your thinking caps on and lets raise some money for such a good cause.
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

aceman wrote:A few of us went out for a Christmas meal with Kevan.....
It was a great night. Here's a few pics

7:00pm Meeting up

7:30pm Food in Jamie Oliver's

1:20am still drinking ........
Image :devil:
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

Looks like you all had a good night. All the best to Kevin and hope to meet up sometime next year.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Canman

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Canman »

thoroughly enjoyed it despite being force fed champagne, lager and fine food. :D then a little tumble in the middle of the road , so a bit sore now. i blame my wobbly legs not the drink :lol:

i handed the £20 to the MNDA on monday which was gratefully recieved. sorry Jamie's Italian our needs are greater.

Please help. The money will go to a good cause. email me for the link to my fundraising page.
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Great pictures canman. or is it canned man . Well done anyway and will see you at the zfest in june :wink: