Rear Axle Carrier Help

For the M Powered Z3 derivatives
Adz S

M coupe S50

Rear Axle Carrier Help

Post by Adz S »

Evening All

Maybe you can help as i have read some good journals of people removing there roadster rear axles.

I am in the process of overhauling the rear end of my coupe. Will put a journal up at some point.

So far i have got the exhaust, trailing arms and diff off but having a little difficulty with the rear axle carrier.

The bolts that hold the push rods to the car (number 4 on the picture) are very rusty. Does anyone know what type of bolts they should be i.e Inner Hex or torx bolts. Peet and another mate thinks they are torx but im not convinced they look like hex bolts to me. I have tried one with torx but it just spins, there Past it !

Realoem qoutes hex but from past experiance its not always 100% correct

Has anyone done this job or had any trouble getting these bolts off. At the moment im just soaking them for a few night with WD-40. Tried shocking it with a extension bar and a rubber hammer but no luck ! ! !

any help and advise would be apreciated

Cheers

Adz :D
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

From memory I think they are capheads. Try an allen key. If they are stuck a bit of heat usually helps. If you lubricate the threads on re-assembly you wont have the problem again.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Adz S

M coupe S50

Post by Adz S »

Thanks for the reply, i will have a go at the weekend. It will be worth it in the long run
msassoon

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by msassoon »

They are allen bolts for sure. I am doing the same thing at the weekend. To help, take the weight off them by lifting the subframe slightly and release the bottom bolt to ensure that the carrier/subframe is not resting on the bracket.
Cheers

Marc
Adz S

M coupe S50

Post by Adz S »

msassoon wrote:They are allen bolts for sure. I am doing the same thing at the weekend. To help, take the weight off them by lifting the subframe slightly and release the bottom bolt to ensure that the carrier/subframe is not resting on the bracket.
Good luck, hope there in better shape than mine.

I have removed the trailing arms and bottom bolt and the weight is off the axle carrier. Not having much look with them. Just soaking them with lubricant each night this week and will try again at the weekend.