Anyone had a replacement roof fitted?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Frank.A

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Anyone had a replacement roof fitted?

Post by Frank.A »

Has anyone tried Soft Tops in Surrey?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-Soft-T ... 53eae1b1c8

2000 Topaz 2.8 Individual.

Youth would be more useful if it came later in life!
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Frank.A wrote:Has anyone tried Soft Tops in Surrey?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-Soft-T ... 53eae1b1c8
Me. :D
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Wondered what a blue soft top would look like on mine. The pic in the advert looks like an Atlanta Blue same as mine. I like the combo, I`m tempted. I suppose it`s a sewn in back window, anyone know? Also what do they do with sewn in windows if they crack. Expensive?
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

alec.m wrote:Wondered what a blue soft top would look like on mine. The pic in the advert looks like an Atlanta Blue same as mine. I like the combo, I`m tempted. I suppose it`s a sewn in back window, anyone know? Also what do they do with sewn in windows if they crack. Expensive?
Hi Alec, if you want to know what Soft-Tops hoods look like fitted have a gander at my Photobucket album of mine:

http://s1142.photobucket.com/albums/n62 ... z3%20hood/

Mine is in blue, and the workmanship and materials are of a very high standard. One thing that people notice on mine is the stitching across the top, this is an extra process to secure the hood to the frame. It seems these aren't shown in the photo in the ebay ad, don't know if he has changed this since mine was done (~18 months ago) or is an option. I know when I had mine fitted I wasn't asked!
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Thanks Wonderloaf, it looks brilliant. It`s a snip at the current ebay price of £350. Not worth paying for a new window for that money. I`m so tempted.
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

I paid £400 for mine and thought it was a bargain, so at £350 it's brilliant value! Regarding window replacement, think I did ask about this and was told a couple of hundred quid should do it, but would be best to get this confirmed.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

alec.m wrote:Thanks Wonderloaf, it looks brilliant. It`s a snip at the current ebay price of £350. Not worth paying for a new window for that money. I`m so tempted.
Go for it, it will make a hugh difference to the look of the car.

just remember that the fitting cost is around 250 notes (unless you fit it yourself).

Still worth it imho.

The 'BEAST' 666
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

wonderloaf wrote:
BimBeema wrote:Thanks for the feedback - that really does throw the cat amongst the pigeons! Do I go for just a new window at £125-145 and keep the same roof or pay the extra £200-250 and get a brand new roof? Decisions, decisions!
I was in the same position as you 18 months ago and decide on a new roof, glad I did as it made the car look much fresher and tidier. If you can afford it I'd say pay the extra for a new roof.
I wonder if they do it in red as I'd like keep mine in the same colour combo.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

BimBeema wrote:
wonderloaf wrote:
BimBeema wrote:Thanks for the feedback - that really does throw the cat amongst the pigeons! Do I go for just a new window at £125-145 and keep the same roof or pay the extra £200-250 and get a brand new roof? Decisions, decisions!
I was in the same position as you 18 months ago and decide on a new roof, glad I did as it made the car look much fresher and tidier. If you can afford it I'd say pay the extra for a new roof.
I wonder if they do it in red as I'd like keep mine in the same colour combo.
Yep, their available in red. :)

The 'BEAST' 666
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

Badman gee wrote:
alec.m wrote:Thanks Wonderloaf, it looks brilliant. It`s a snip at the current ebay price of £350. Not worth paying for a new window for that money. I`m so tempted.
Go for it, it will make a hugh difference to the look of the car.

just remember that the fitting cost is around 250 notes (unless you fit it yourself).

Still worth it imho.
It says on ebay £350 fitted!!! it`s a great price if it really is that.
englishhaggis

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: New soft top fitted?

Post by englishhaggis »

Hi all, newish member and Z3 owner here :)

I've had my immaculate motor for about 4 weeks and then had my rear window cut open by some passing brainless toe rag! Anyway the roof is still in reasonably good nick so I thought I'd just replace the window... But then I read the above post and had a look at http://www.soft-tops.co.uk. £350 for a whole new roof - fitted! I figured since the roof is now over 10 years old I'd probably have to replace it eventually.

Booked in for the 28th April - will report back when the new lid is on!

BTW - great forum, really helpful and nice people - I hope to meet some of you at the Silverstone Classic :)

Paul
Last edited by englishhaggis on Sun 22 Apr, 2012 17:55, edited 2 times in total.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

englishhaggis wrote:Hi all, newish member and Z3 owner here :)

I've had immaculate motor for about 4 weeks and then had my rear window cut open by some passing brainless toe rag! Anyway the roof is in reasonably good nick so I thought I'd just replace the window... But then I read the above post and had a look at http://www.soft-tops.co.uk. £350 for a whole new roof - fitted! I figured since the roof is now over 10 years old I'd probably have to replace it eventually.

BTW - great forum, really helpful and nice people - I hope to meet of you at the Silverstone Classic :)

Paul
welcome,

looking forward to the feedback and photos of your roof!

mark

The 'BEAST' 666
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

englishhaggis wrote:Hi all, newish member and Z3 owner here :)

I've had my immaculate motor for about 4 weeks and then had my rear window cut open by some passing brainless toe rag! Anyway the roof is still in reasonably good nick so I thought I'd just replace the window... But then I read the above post and had a look at http://www.soft-tops.co.uk. £350 for a whole new roof - fitted! I figured since the roof is now over 10 years old I'd probably have to replace it eventually.

BTW - great forum, really helpful and nice people - I hope to meet some of you at the Silverstone Classic :)

Paul
Had mine replaced there as well, will be interested to compare results once you've had yours fitted!
englishhaggis

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by englishhaggis »

Hmm, I'm now thinking I might ask for a blue one like yours, wonderloaf - looks really nice and a bit different. Do you have the blue interior to match or is it black like mine?
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

englishhaggis wrote:Hmm, I'm now thinking I might ask for a blue one like yours, wonderloaf - looks really nice and a bit different. Do you have the blue interior to match or is it black like mine?
All Black leather interior with aluminium centre console. Went for the blue as thought it 'lifts' the look of the car, and as you say is bit different, although once I had it fitted starting seeing them everywhere! Some of the folks on this forum where kind enough to post pictures of their cars with blue roofs, this decided it for me!
englishhaggis

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by englishhaggis »

wonderloaf wrote:
englishhaggis wrote:Hmm, I'm now thinking I might ask for a blue one like yours, wonderloaf - looks really nice and a bit different. Do you have the blue interior to match or is it black like mine?
All Black leather interior with aluminium centre console. Went for the blue as thought it 'lifts' the look of the car, and as you say is bit different, although once I had it fitted starting seeing them everywhere! Some of the folks on this forum where kind enough to post pictures of their cars with blue roofs, this decided it for me!
Ok decision made - I've changed the order to a blue one :) I haven't seen many around with the silver/blue combination - yours looks really good though and it was fitted at the same place, so seems a fairly safe bet. Cheers! 8-)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I'm booked into Softops Croydon on the 17th May :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Seems like Soft-tops are doing so much business through zroadster think forum members should get a discount!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I've always championed Softops ever since I had a replacement window on my 2.8 seven years ago ;)

I priced up the roof with two other companies for comparison, £595 & £660

I wouldn't mention discount, he may do the opposite ;)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Gazza wrote:I've always championed Softops ever since I had a replacement window on my 2.8 seven years ago ;)

I priced up the roof with two other companies for comparison, £595 & £660

I wouldn't mention discount, he may do the opposite ;)
let us know how you get on gazza,

i might be tempted.

its a fair drive from peterborough though :(

The 'BEAST' 666
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I'll post pics when it's done ;)
Gazza

ImageImage
englishhaggis

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by englishhaggis »

The new top is on and looks amazing! The blue looks so nice over silver. Sadly it's been raining ever since so no photos yet :( ...but more importantly no leaks either :))

Thanks to wonderloaf for the recommendation.
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

englishhaggis wrote:The new top is on and looks amazing! The blue looks so nice over silver. Sadly it's been raining ever since so no photos yet :( ...but more importantly no leaks either :))

Glad you like it, I certainly did :thumb:
BTW, when I got mine fitted the chap there had a rather low slung vintage MG under a tarp (wouldn't let me have a complete look) that he was renovating, has he finished it yet?
englishhaggis

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by englishhaggis »

wonderloaf wrote:
englishhaggis wrote:The new top is on and looks amazing! The blue looks so nice over silver. Sadly it's been raining ever since so no photos yet :( ...but more importantly no leaks either :))

Glad you like it, I certainly did :thumb:
BTW, when I got mine fitted the chap there had a rather low slung vintage MG under a tarp (wouldn't let me have a complete look) that he was renovating, has he finished it yet?
Hmm, didn't notice that I'm afraid, his workshop was pretty empty. But there was another really smart looking yellow 52-plate Z3 in for the hood treatment though - wonder if that's anyone on here?
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

get some pics up raining or not :D
its nice and sunny up here in Scotland :D its usually the other way :lol: global warming is OK im my books :P
mjw

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by mjw »

I am quite new to the forum but have been browsing for some time.
I have had my z3 for 12 months now and used the forum to sort out a few little problems like replacing seat bushes.
I also had my hood replaced at Soft Tops in Croydon on Saturday morning. They have a done first class job and I am delighted with it.
I travelled all the way from Birmingham and back in the pouring rain and I can assure you all it does not leak.
My car is silver with red leather seats, I really like the look of the blue hoods but decided to stick with a black hood as I'm not sure if red leather and a blue hood would work. I will try to post some pics soon.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

mjw wrote:I am quite new to the forum but have been browsing for some time.
I have had my z3 for 12 months now and used the forum to sort out a few little problems like replacing seat bushes.
I also had my hood replaced at Soft Tops in Croydon on Saturday morning. They have a done first class job and I am delighted with it.
I travelled all the way from Birmingham and back in the pouring rain and I can assure you all it does not leak.
My car is silver with red leather seats, I really like the look of the blue hoods but decided to stick with a black hood as I'm not sure if red leather and a blue hood would work. I will try to post some pics soon.
pics please!!

how much did they charge please?

The 'BEAST' 666
mjw

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by mjw »

The price was £350 including fitting. I am trying to attach some pics at the moment but having a few problems. File type is invalid apparently. I will keep trying.
mjw

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by mjw »

Try again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

mjw wrote:Try again
thanks,

they are excellent, especially for the price.

:D

The 'BEAST' 666
englishhaggis

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by englishhaggis »

PCSAM wrote:get some pics up raining or not :D
its nice and sunny up here in Scotland :D its usually the other way :lol: global warming is OK im my books :P
Ok, here are some pics. There were storms over the weekend (talk about leak testing!) and the new hood is now covered in fluffy brown things from a nearby tree :roll: will post better ones when I've had chance to clean it!

The quality is very, very good in my opinion and only cost £350 fitted. I think it looks the business and it's great to be able to see properly out of the back window! The only downside was having to trudge around Croydon in the rain all afternoon...

I had a good chat with Dean, the owner, and suggested he came along to Z-Fest at Silverstone to hand out a few cards and have a chat to you guys :wink: But if you're considering a new hood I can't recommend www.soft-tops.co.uk enough.
alec.m

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by alec.m »

That looks stunning. Can`t believe it was so cheap. Got to get one soon. No point in replacing rear window on its own. Thanks for posting the pics.
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

Looks excellent, thought I was looking at my car for a second there, glad to see Soft-Tops quality is still as top notch as when I got mine done.
Seeing your brand spanking new top has reminded me to deep clean and re-proof mine, as after 18 months or so since had it fitted it's got a bit , errr...tatty :oops:

Will be out with the proofer once we get a dry weekend, if that ever happens!
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

looks stunning ........ the blue on silver really goes and what a clear rear view you have
nobynom8ss

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nobynom8ss »

The hood looks very good and at 350 fitted :o im booked in on friday to have one fitted :D only prob is i still dont no how to put on pics :head:
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Gutted they don't do red!!!
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
englishhaggis

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by englishhaggis »

shantybeater wrote:Gutted they don't do red!!!
Did you call and ask? They make the hoods themselves so might just be a matter of sourcing the material.
tcrichton

M roadster S50

Post by tcrichton »

Badman gee wrote: Yep, their available in red. :)
You sure they don't do it in red Shanty? When I'm back in the UK and she's out of the garage I'll definitely be making the trip up to Croydon to get mine replaced... Road trip shanty?

Tristan.
1998 M roadster (S50) - Progress thread - Wiki (guides etc...)
shantybeater

Porsche

Post by shantybeater »

Sounds good to me bro! can't grumble at that price either! are the rear windows stitched in or zipped like OEM?
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

They seem a great price to include fitting, are they double layered? as per facelifted hoods?

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Tim, the roof lining is not actually part of the roof. It should be possible to remove the existing lining and refit it afterwards - I know they can be retrofitted to cars that don't have them as well. If you want a new roof lining as well, then I'm not sure how you'll get on, it may be a trip to BMW for that.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
nobynom8ss

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by nobynom8ss »

got back friday with new top fitted in blue looks good for 350.oo pound good price . i asked if he could do them in red sorry but no he could not . only down side is i had to spend four hours walking around . not to sure about the stitching on the top of the hood does not look bad but at high speeds it sounds like you are going to take off .
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Robert T wrote:Tim, the roof lining is not actually part of the roof. It should be possible to remove the existing lining and refit it afterwards - I know they can be retrofitted to cars that don't have them as well. If you want a new roof lining as well, then I'm not sure how you'll get on, it may be a trip to BMW for that.

Cheers R.
the lining costs all most as much as a replacement roof, but its worth it.

mine was fitted as standard.

:D

The 'BEAST' 666
mjw

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by mjw »

nobynom8ss wrote:got back friday with new top fitted in blue looks good for 350.oo pound good price . i asked if he could do them in red sorry but no he could not . only down side is i had to spend four hours walking around . not to sure about the stitching on the top of the hood does not look bad but at high speeds it sounds like you are going to take off .
I had my roof fitted just recently at soft tops. There is a cinema just off the high street in Croydon which helped to pass the time. Just as the film finished I received a message to say my car was ready. Worked out perfectly considering that it rained all that day. I wouldnt have wanted to walk around getting soaked for hours.
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by wonderloaf »

nobynom8ss wrote:got back friday with new top fitted in blue looks good for 350.oo pound good price . i asked if he could do them in red sorry but no he could not . only down side is i had to spend four hours walking around . not to sure about the stitching on the top of the hood does not look bad but at high speeds it sounds like you are going to take off .
Strange you say that, I didn't notice any difference at all at hight speeds between old and new hood :?: Could it be because the new hood has more tension in it?
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Robert T wrote:Tim, the roof lining is not actually part of the roof. It should be possible to remove the existing lining and refit it afterwards - I know they can be retrofitted to cars that don't have them as well. If you want a new roof lining as well, then I'm not sure how you'll get on, it may be a trip to BMW for that.

Cheers R.
Cheers Robert, I just wandered if the existing lining is removed or indeed the fitters would know that it would need removing and fitting to the new hood. I don't know if aftermarket hoods come already lined? :rtm:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

Another vote for Soft Tops in Croydon from me, had my roof replaced today, absolutely top job especially for only £350. He said it'd take around 3.5 hours but I got a call while I was in the cinema (thanks for the tip mjw!) after 2 hours saying it was done. The worst part was driving home with the roof up in 26° heat as he advised to leave it up for 24 hours to let the glue fully set. I'll be getting some pics up soon, it's completely transformed the car :D
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

So decided after nearly 6 months to book the Zed in for a hood replacement seeing Autumn is coming up and what happens?

- Soft Tops in Croydon don't do them in red, only black or blue at £350 all in but I want red, mine's a special edition with red hood so I'd like to keep it original colour combo.
- Car Hood Warehouse quoted me £640 in the red! that's nearly double price of Soft Tops!

I think I might just stick to repalcing the split plastic screen, £640 more than the £400 I'd budgeted for.
spanwah

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by spanwah »

bournii wrote:hey guy's has anyone had a new top fitted on their zed (facelift model) i was wondering where you got it done or if you did it yourself. Im looking at getting a new top fitted and my hydrolic looked at as it's not working i checked the fuse and wires at the motor they looked ok not sure what could be wrong? any way thanks for your time

mine did the same i found it to be the wires chaffed near the switch on the left hand side check there!!!1
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

So finally booked the car in with Soft Tops in Croydon last Friday and got the rear plastic screen replaced for £125 all in. Took just over an hour to replace and I can finally see out the rear window again. Took longer to get there and back (nearly 4 hours for a 40-odd mile return trip through London :evil: )!

Looks like a top job but I haven't had it leak tested yet mainly due to dry weather and decided to let the glue set before subjecting it to a wash. So will advise on any issues if they occur.

Decided to just replace the split plastic screen rather than shell out £640 for a whole hood which is what I was quoted for a red hood as I didn't have the budget and couldn't justify it when the hood is holding up well with no leaking issues, etc so guess what happens?

The Turbo on the family car (a 3 series turbo diesel) blew back end of last week, car is in garage to have a recondidtioned/reman turbo fitted (cost £450 just for the part, a brand new OEM is £1300 quoted by the $tealers), don't know what the labour cost will be in addition. Probably be looking at somewhere between £700 - £1000 all in so there I was thinking I've saved a few hundred quid by by not replacing the Zed's hood and now have to shell out double that on the other car! Not a happy bunny, bloody expensive few days! :cry: