Handling?

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Handling?

Post by Pistol968 »

After a few "spirited" drives I've decided that my 2.8 handling leaves a lot to be desired. Its only got 50,000 miles on it so I suspect it is down to the original spec of the car rather than lots of worn components. I also appreciate that these cars were not designed as the "ultimate driving machine" despite being a BMW and are aimed more at the open top cruiser market rather than the Lotus Elise driving experience end of the market however when pushed hard my car feels slightly unsafe. It definitely does not inspire confidence.

In fast bends it squirms on its suspension to the point where the turn in is not very accurate to say the least - without any corrections being made via the steering wheel the car seems to take two bites at going around the corner. It also tends to slide a little at the rear despite good Eagle F1 tyres with plenty of grip.

I am aware that the shocks could be past their best and the front tyres- fairly worn, could also play a part but would a "butt brace" and or engine brace cure some of these ills?

As mentioned above I'm not expecting, or indeed wanting to turn it in to a hard riding track car but I would like to tighten it up a bit so the chassis is more in tune with the capabilities of the lovely straight six.
JINXZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Handling?

Post by JINXZ3 »

hi ya

I have the same burning questions as you, so look forward to your reply's I have been told that a front brace does help front end stability so any pointers to locate one of these for a good price etc would be greatful
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

Interesting post! My wife says exactly the same about my facelift 2.8-compared with her similar mileage late Mk1 1.8iS MX-5, so I'll be interested in other members comments.

Unfortunately she makes a valid point!
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I fitted a useed strutbrace to my Z3 3.0, which made a nice improvement making the front feel more in control. I then changed my front wishbone rear bushes for Powerflex ones and noticed another improvement in handling (but not any worse in terms of ride despite some warnings on here). I also replaced the front drop links with new OEM ones but didn't really notice a difference due to them other than placibo perhaps :D (I was chasing a slight 'knock' under sharp cornering that I've now confirmed is the strut mount which won't get done for a while as it's a more major job and I can live with it now I know what it is).

I have found that the car is sensitive to tyre pressures and when I first bought the car I swopped the Michelins from the front with the Avon AV5s that were on the rear and found tramlining seemed less with Avons at the front. I'm going to need a new pair of rear tyres soon, so will be buying another pair of Avons for a matched set of 4.

Although your car has less miles than mine (61,000 when I bought it or thereabouts) I think that the age of the bushes might also count against them so replacement may well show an improvement. If you are a DIYer then my above changes cost less than £150. I've no idea what this would cost if paying for the labour though.

I let a friend of mine drive it recently and he has a VX220 which we've both driven on the track: The Z3 feels like a luxury saloon in comparison, which is to be expected, but his biggest critism of the car was the steering as he didn't like the way it felt a bit 'dead' around the centre position. I'm planing on checking for play in the track rods/rack to make sure, but I suspect it's just how it is (though the front tyre pressures were slightly low and a psi difference between them when I checked). There is a limit to what we can do with these cars, but no harm in trying to get everything up to scratch to give it the best chance. Funny thing is that he wants something more comfortable and a quieter cruiser and I want my Z3 a little harder and sharper: Perhaps we should swop. :D
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

"Funny thing is that he wants something more comfortable and a quieter cruiser and I want my Z3 a little harder and sharper: Perhaps we should swop."- and there's the rub.

It's a balancing act. My last car was an import only Japanese luxury coupe ( albeit with twin turbos) but it had been fitted with racing spec coilovers which made it handle like a go kart- extremely flat - but the trade off was a ride that rattled your eyeballs! The point being if you go too far in one direction with the meddling you can completely ruin the car and what it was designed to do- in the case of the Z I think it is a balance between being slightly sporty but on the side of comfort and touring rather than a fast road car ( even with a 2.8L straight six of around 200hp I would not class my car as being particularly quick when the average modern hot hatch and even some warm diesels will out accelerate it as I have found recently to my embarrassment!)

Having said that it would be nice just to be able to tighten it up slightly- I intend to change the wheels to 18"- I had them fitted to my last 2.8 and it definitely improved the turn in- and then fit the two braces- engine and butt - and leave it there. I'm not intending to lower it but I will replace shocks and bushes as necessary. Apart from that I will just have to learn to adjust my driving style a little....
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

This is why I've done my mods/repairs one item at a time: I wanted to understand and appreciate what each bit did, plus the Z3 is meant to be my 'tinker, polish and drive' car rather than my RS2000 which is a major project. I have a rule that if I think a job will take me more than 2 hours then it won't get done unless it's an MOT failure.

Is the butt brace a weld on part or bolt on? I've read about them somewhere, but would be interested in a link and/or price for this.

I was thinking about bigger wheels as much for cosmetics, but also because a secondhand set of wheels with decent tyres may be no more money than two new Avons if I'm lucky. If it improves turn in then it sounds like it might be what I'd like.

I already have the drop links for the rear (part of the set I bought when I did the fronts) which I may as well fit at some point. However most of the rear bushes seem quite involved to change otherwise I'd be looking to try some more Powerflex ones on the rear. If you're after a bit more power from your 2.8 I hear that there is a manifold change that will help better breathing: I don't know how much of the 2.8 to 3.0 difference it will make up but it will help. I certainly don't find that I get left behind by diesels (I also replaced an exhaust camshaft sensor which perked it up no end, so maybe you have a similar issue?).
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

As a couple of others have said, you can't expect the car not to have aged just because it only has 50,000 mile on it. It's still 14 years old, and rubber bits and pieces will perish due to time rather than mileage.

I'm starting to change the bushes on my similar age (but higher mileage) car, as they are clearly well past their best. I'd suggest starting there as they aren't rocket science to do (especially if you go to poly-bushes), may make a significant improvement and, I would suggest, need to be done even if you start going down the strut-brace route. In fact, that will probably just highlight weaknesses in the suspension due to age. There's no point stiffening up the tub of the car if you still have wibbly-wobbly rubber bushes between that and the wheels.
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

Yes- understood. I've got it booked in for a "pre purchase inspection" at Grosvenor BMW next week- so I'm sure that will identify all of the areas that need attention. They did one on my last Z and it produced a list of things to do- some urgent and some to do over a period of time. New bushes were certainly on the list as were rear shock mounts, ets etc. all of the perishables in fact.

Oldskool- I think the 18" helped due to the lower profile tyres- less flex in the sidewall.- plus as you say they look nice too!
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

I know this isn't going to be a very helpful reply, but the contrast between your problems and my most enjoyable drive through the Forest of Dean today shows that the Z3 can be a great handling car.

Narrow twisting roads, off camber corners, very wet surface going, lots of standing water coming back, plenty of mud - the Z3M came alive, and felt planted, totally capable, and great fun at all times (S50 so no traction control) - a real buzz!

It is on 17" wheels, and I really don't believe in the theory of your problems relating to sidewall movement.

I know there are many differences with the M, including camber settings, and these can't necessarily be reproduced in other Z3s, and the only Z I've driven is the M, so as I said, not very helpful.
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

Hi Mike- I have not researched it in anyway but I'm sure the M has a number of little tweaks that help make it handle better than an ordinary Z! Perhaps I should start saving!

Re the sidewalls I was not attributing all of the handling woes to this but I'm sure the taller sidewalls of a 17" tyre against an 18" tyre do make a a contribution. I could certainly notice the difference when I fitted 18 inchers to my last 2.8

The problem I have with the M is that the money needed to buy one brings the car in to some very stiff competition- such as the basic Boxter and more importantly for me a series 1 Lotus Elise so even if I had the spare cash I may not plump for the beemer if I wanted a good drivers car.

£3000 will buy a good 2.8 and at that money there are very few open top sports cars that can compete ( I do not really want an MX5) so its not a difficult decision- if only I can sort the handling without spending a fortune....
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Hi Pistol,

I've owned loads of MX5's over the years, all top of the range models (mk2 and mk3) and they are great fun to drive with neutral handling, but fact is they are really underpowered and I don't think the chassis would handle a big 2.8/3.0 litre lump all that well either.

I agree the M roadster/coupe seem expensive, but having finally taken the plunge on one I can say it's far better than any 2.0 MX5 in all departments and the Boxster alternative is a far more risky proposition upkeep/maintenance wise.

The reality is the Z-M cars are ultra desirable and that's what commands the premium prices and I can only see these getting more expensive - so start saving up :idea: .
Beemer Man

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Beemer Man »

The main reason I bought my 2.8 Zed last year was that after 6 years of E30 M3 ownership, my wife's MX-5 just didn't tug at the heartstrings in the same way. It's still a sweet little car, but in a different world to an M!

If only I could turn the clock back...............
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

Hi Chris, I don't think the Z3 M's are expensive in fact I think they represent excellent value for money its just that as you get further upmarket more competition becomes available where as at the lower end of the market there are not so many obvious alternatives making it a much easier decision to buy a Z3.

My point about the handling arose from an experience I had the other day- I was driving roads I know very well and at speeds considerably less than I have driven in the same conditions in other cars- all of which felt much more planted and stable than the Z- it squirmed and bucked and felt distinctly out of its depth and slightly unsafe. I was some what disappointed and alarmed however the more I think about it this is probably more as a result of the design characteristics of the car and its purpose rather than any worn components etc - therefore some aftermarket tweaking should be able to improve things- hence the question regarding the two braces to help stiffen things up a little.

Please don't get me wrong- I love the car- the old fashioned feel of it and the noise etc- I would just like to improve it a little so that when the mood arises it is more adept at taking a little thrashing in to its stride so I am going to try;

Front and rear braces
Slight lowering
18" alloys with lower profile tyres.

All of which will of course be after having the bushes and suspension checked over for obvious signs of wear. Fingers crossed.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Hi pistol

Yes..., I do see your point and the plan seems like a good one unless you can afford to go and buy an M :drive

I'd be tempted to get the alloys and braces fitted first, then do all the bushes at same time as a proper 4-wheel alignment (done on a Hunter machine or equivalent - expect to pay £80 minimum for a proper job) rather than the toe/tracking adjustments offered in most garages. Wheels in motion can't be that far away from you being down the south east and they are considered the best by MX5 officionados looking to alter the geometry/handling of their cars. I'm sure the guys there could give you some good advice on further improvements to the suspension you could consider.

Happy improving :P

chris
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

Cheers Chris, I'll look them up.

If all else fails I might just paint some red winglets on my silver Z as it seems to handling about as well as Buttons car at the moment...
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

When we bought our 3.0 i had concerns after going on a spirited cruise deano (mark) had arranged. So after fitting 18" alloys which didnt make that much difference i put a strutt brace on and that made a significant difference to the front but the car was still very skittish round corners so much the missus was thinking of changing it. So i put full coilovers on and lowered it by30mm and it made such a difference the only down side was they were cheap and after a year 2 shocks wanted replacing so i opted for the expensive option of fitting bilstein b8s all round and lowering springs of 25mm. We went on a run with a few others around the evo in wales and the transformation was really pleasing so much a boxster which is excellent through corners couldnt shake the z3 in fact i would say he was holding me up. So if you can afford it that is the route i would go. Strutt brace bilstein b8s all round and lowering springs.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

Cheers Bill- sounds like the way to go. Can you give an indication of the costs involved?
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Have you looked underneath the car?

I would bet that the rear anti-roll bar has one of its links off - the old ones tend to work their way off - and maybe the front ARB links are also past their best. the new type are made by Boge, and have their name moulded intothe rubber of the bushes. The original front ARB links also suffer from decaying rubber.

After14 years this is to be expected, and a general replacement programme of old rubberware should include front and rear ARB links, and also the large rubber bush at the back of the wishbones. You can fit either the M3 type, which has more rubber and less air space, or the Powerflex polyurethane type. Powerflex also make poly bushes for the ARBs (measure the size before ordering) which also help matters. The new E46 type of strut mount has less rubber in critical areas, and are only about £25 each.

Another good modification is the fitting of rigid PVC stiffening pieces in the gaps of the rear cross-member bushes - only a small change, but excellent value for not much money.

Fit these and see what you think - it is pointless to buy such an old car and expect it to have avoided the ravages of time - and then think about bolt-on bracing pieces.

I have a strut brace, a butt strut, and a body brace (Strong Strut.com) all of which (particularly the butt strut) contribute to really good handling without any 'stab in the back' type of thing. Not an Elan, but pretty good - safe and predictable. I also use Falken FK452 tyres at 2.4 bars, and Eibach front springs with the standard rears (I like to be able to carry a passenger and a full boot without ground clearance problems) with Bilstein Sprintline dampers all round.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

As Billz suggested.. Bilisten B8s and lower 30mm will transform your handling..

Set of B8s can be bought for around £450 from euro car parts with some haggling.. Swamper recently bought a set for his M for around that price.

But as Mike said check all your rubber mounts as these can have a bad effect if worn.
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Pistol968

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Pistol968 »

Thanks Mike. I am getting all of the bushes etc checked next week but the fact that you have had to fit several braces, revised dampers and springs goes a long way to proving my point- the standard car of 14 years ago was not a good handler and therefore these things have to be fitted to bring it up to a reasonable performance by todays standard.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

i cant really add to whats been said....but from the reading iv done and being in petes car round oulton park a 30mm drop makes a massive difference.
Mike is right about the ARB popping there drop links off...iv found one on my M had done it...and the bushes are worn
Bilisten B8s are the way to go £450 all round then get your self some lowering springs and maybe powerfelx bushes (as recomended to me by Darren Wood).
iv seen Bill and Pete at the evo and could see that his Zed was in a different league with just some changes to the suspension :wink:
the badness makes me do it...!

c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

The Z3 and even the M is "soft" by today's standards even from new. As has been mentioned they can be improved and whilst ride quality is sacrificed a little the increase in body control and handling more than makes up for it.

Bilstein "Sprint" aka B8 dampers with some decent springs. As Mike Fishwick alluded to the drop at the rear is often excessive with lowering springs resulting in a slight nose-high stance BEFORE you've even go in the car or anything in the boot; as you sit nearer the rear axle this is exacerbated with passengers. You can however fit thicker spring pads to raise the rear.

I would also recommend uprated anti roll bars, these make an immense improvement in feel of the car.

Also as said, the rear subframe bushes are well worth modifying by means of "inserts" to fill the voids - I don't now if they are available off ebay anymore, I bought some from the US for not a lot and they increase the stability of the rear end and steering response massively.
peteslag

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by peteslag »

I spent months researching different suspension mods for my 3.0 and couldn't make my mind up. The handling wasn't bad, just a bit vague and stodgy. In the end I thought "sod it" and went for a set of Eibach pro springs with a 30mm drop. It completely transformed the car into a proper little racer, very precise handling.

Swamper and Bill both recommend B8's, Bilstein have an excellent reputation I would have to agree with them. The Eibach spring kit is great but at 40,000 miles, sooner or later I'm going to need new shocks.
Z3 3.0, Ford ST220, Jaguar XK8, Mr2 GT Turbo, Fiat Bravo HGT, Cavalier, Astra convertible, MK1 Astra GTE, XR3i, E21 323i, XR3, Cavalier, VW Jetta, Rover SDi, Capri 2.0S, Audi 80 GTE, another Cavalier, brown Astra van, Citroen GS Club (we all had to start somewhere).
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I would not say that the standard Z3 is a bad handling car - so long as it is in good condition. It's no use complaining that your 14 year-old car handles poorly, when age has worked its way on anything made of rubber. You must also remember that like all cars, it was a compromise between handling and ride quality, so is capable of improvement - it just depends on one's priorities. A Lotus Elise is obviously compromised - towards handling rather than comfort or practicality, as distinct from a BMW 7 series, where handling was about the last priority, although it's not as bad as one might think.

Yes - ARBs are another area where improvement can be made, but again it depends on what you want. I use the standard 22 mm front, and a 17 mm (+3 mm) rear, which sharpens the steering nicely.

I didn't 'Have' to fit the various chassis modifications on my car - I just felt like dabbling a bit to tailor it more closely to what I wanted. Someone else might not like it, and would prefer the standard set-up. For example, I like the effect of the Butt Strut, in terms of reduced understeer and rear tyre wear, but others (who like the 'Slammed tothe floor' look) may not like the slightly reduced ground clearance

My model was the standard 1.9 Z3 handling and ride, which is about the best on any Z3 - but that's just my opinion, and others would disagree.
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

well i have the same problem with the car i bought and am currentlly restoring.
rear anti roll bar drop links were knackered,rear wheels were buckled,front drop links knackered,rear bushes on wishbone knackered and the one most people forget to check,the front stut top bearing and yes you guessed it knackered as bearings sounded like a train which doesnt help with the sterring .I have also put z3 M front struts on the car with apex 35mm lowering spring all round.
The old girl better handle alot better when i finally get her back on her wheels and out the garage which should happen in next couple of weeks but will let you know how she handles compared to what she was like before.
Anyone got a link to where you find the inserts for rear bushes?
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

bigchap39 wrote:well i have the same problem with the car i bought and am currentlly restoring.
rear anti roll bar drop links were knackered,rear wheels were buckled,front drop links knackered,rear bushes on wishbone knackered and the one most people forget to check,the front stut top bearing and yes you guessed it knackered as bearings sounded like a train which doesnt help with the sterring .I have also put z3 M front struts on the car with apex 35mm lowering spring all round.
The old girl better handle alot better when i finally get her back on her wheels and out the garage which should happen in next couple of weeks but will let you know how she handles compared to what she was like before.
Anyone got a link to where you find the inserts for rear bushes?
before :shock: it must have been a death trap before you started restoring her :shock:
bigchap39

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bigchap39 »

under statement. at 30 mph felt like all 4 wheels in different directions as was all over the road but this helped me get it for bargain price of a £1000 .old girl is in the gallery section with thread on whats been done and getting done as nearlly finished the old girl.
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

I have a 2.2 sport which has the m tech suspension and handles great. Had new wishbones last year which tightened it up even more. All BMW parts. Not sure which other Z3's had this set up though.
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

I forgot to mention tyres also play a big roll in the handling. If you are going to do spirited driving then i suggest going for a softer premium tyre such as Conti 3 sport or Uniroyal ( made by Continental ). The cheaper tyres tend to be made of a harder rubber. But be warned the premium tyres are not cheap. 255 35 18 conti sport will set you back £202 a wheel around £750 for a full set if putting 225 40 18s on the front.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

It's also worth having the toe-in checked on proper laser equipment - nit a pad you drive over. This can be very critical on a Z3.

In general, everything must be on top line - otherwise blame yourself, not the car,
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Is 'nit' French for 'not'? ;)

I'm interested in the comments regarding the strut bearing and it's effect on steering. I have a clunck from my nearside strut when turning sharply, but I think it will break my 2 hour repair rule (so as I don't end up with the car off the road for weeks on end during the 'summer'). Is this bearing a separate part to the strut mount, or part of it? I was kindly offered the loan of some spring compressors from a nearby Zeder, so I could be tempted to do this job sooner if it might help with steering issues.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Guid moaning frim Frince! The E46 strut mount has superceded the old type - both shown below:

The bearing is part of the strut mount, and as you can see, the new type has less rubber in the more important areas, and after ten years or so they are worth replacing anyway.

I changed mine while I had the struts out of the car, but I think you don't need a spring compressor to change them. First unplug the wheel sensors and pad waerdown sensor, then unfasten the front ARB links from the wishbone, then remove and support the caliper, unbolt to damper rod from the top of the mounting, and drop the strut assembly out of the mount. Bolt the new mount intothe turret, push the damper rod up through it, and fasten the nust again. You will need something to undo the nut while holding the damper rod - I welded a nut on top of a socket. so the hex key can pass through the socket.
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

Thanks for the detailed info Mike (and sorry to the OP for taking over the thread a bit). I think I might look into doing this job on mine, it should at least get rid of the clunk, but may also improve the steering perhaps. I'll go and have a look for the parts now.

Guid moaning to you too. :D
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

Mike Fishwick wrote:Guid moaning frim Frince! The E46 strut mount has superceded the old type

would that be the same for the Z3M?
im having a full suspension change and know nothing about it so im on a steep learning curve :?

Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

The ZM has a different strut mount layout, due to the increased castor angle - it mayuse the same mount in an adaptor - look at the parts list to check.
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

ok Mike thanks

Trevsky

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Trevsky »

I would just like to add my two penneth to the thread by reporting that my recent fitment of a set of new 225/50x60 Matador MP46 Hectorra 2s has done wonders for the handling of my Z3. Whereas before I was on the edge of my seat not knowing what the car was going to do next the car's handling is much more like a normal car with very neutral steering. I can now confidently drive one handed without the fear of it being taken wherever the white lines and ruts lead.
After a 250 mile round trip to Lakes in appauling weather I can certainly recommend them. Cost about £70 a corner.
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

billz wrote:I forgot to mention tyres also play a big roll in the handling. If you are going to do spirited driving then i suggest going for a softer premium tyre such as Conti 3 sport or Uniroyal ( made by Continental ). The cheaper tyres tend to be made of a harder rubber. But be warned the premium tyres are not cheap. 255 35 18 conti sport will set you back £202 a wheel around £750 for a full set if putting 225 40 18s on the front.
bill

:thumb: from me for the Conti sports tyres, had them since i got zeddy 4 years ago (not the same set) and they do seem to keep me on the road :)
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

I wouldn't modify anything before you have got the standard car perfect. You may find it's alright as it is :) .

Conti Contact 3 (marked as Mercedes Original [MO]) are available on TescoBlackcircles (w/ Tesco Points) or Blackcircles (w/ Quidco) for <£750 :wink: .

<£500 delivered.
Pingu