Drivers Door won't open

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Dickyt

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Drivers Door won't open

Post by Dickyt »

I am having problems with my drivers door handle not opening. The central locking seems to be working as I can hear everything clicking when the door locks & unlocks, but when I go to open the drivers door the handle lifts but nothing engages. The only way to get in is via the passenger door, and pulling the drivers internal door handle. Also when you put the key in the the drivers side lock, it just freely turns around and around & does not engage the lock.

I had Dent Devils in the other week to sort out my door dings - I wonder whether he has knocked anything internally with his magic equipment, he had various "prising" bars going down thorough the window seal into the door interior. Might just be a coincidence as that was 2 weeks ago & it's been OK until now.

I am guessing other mays have had this problem? Any easy fixes - a quick squirt of the old WD40 into the mechanism? Or is it door card off and have a good look at everything?

I have not had the chance to look at it yet, so any advice before I start would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Richard
wonderloaf

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Drivers Door won't open

Post by wonderloaf »

Had a similar problem a couple of months ago, a quick squirt with WD40 into the lock from outside to loosen any seized parts then 3-in-1 to keep lubricated sorted it for me.
2001 Titan Silver 2.2 Sport
Dickyt

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dickyt »

wonderloaf wrote:Had a similar problem a couple of months ago, a quick squirt with WD40 into the lock from outside to loosen any seized parts then 3-in-1 to keep lubricated sorted it for me.
Thanks wonderolaf....I will give that a go first & keep my fingers crossed.

Cheers

Richard
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

A very gentle lean against the door by the handle sometimes works.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Dickyt

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Dickyt »

Gazza wrote:A very gentle lean against the door by the handle sometimes works.
Thanks for the tip Gazza - worked perfectly with a gentle "hip nudge" & got the door open. Hopefully not a sign of a misspent youth LOL? My problem was getting into the car if this didn't work - gaining access into the car on the passenger side requires a stick thin contortionist/gymnast type due to the 10" gap between car & garage wall. I'm neither stick thin or a gymnast!

A good squirt of WD into the keyhole/lock, and around the latch seems to have loosened things up & the door handle now actually works.

Cheers

Richard
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

Same problem caught up with me yesterday, "PANIC" have applied Singer sewing machine oil through key slot and sprayed door catch and post with Silicon. Its all I had handy.