Replace accelerator cable

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Replace accelerator cable

Post by Mick »

Hi Gents
Wondered if anybody had experience of replacing their accelerator cable? Can't find anything in the knowledge base. The cable on my 2.0l roadster seems heavy/slow to return so I thought it might need oiling or replacing. Have checked the pedal and released the cable from this end, but on the carb end I can only feel what I am doing. I can feel the cable against the accelerator spring but don't want to release it in case it all goes pear shaped! Any help gratefully received. 8-)
snatch

M roadster S50

Re: Replace accelerator cable

Post by snatch »

Don't oil it... it will swell the plastic coating and stick solid :wink:
Mike

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike »

Just done mine as old one snapped near the acc pedal. Fairly easy to put in the new one albeit fiddly as you get through the bulkhead. Do this bit first then the rest is easy and obvious. Attach at the footpedal first then onto the throttle control to finish. A bit of fiddling withe the cable tension and things are great again.
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Thanks for the oil tip didn't think of that. I am sure silicone spray would do the trick.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

snatch wrote:Don't oil it... it will swell the plastic coating and stick solid :wink:
:puzzle:
Many people have done this on here, and reported a complete cure. This is just one thread;
linky.
From 4th post onwards....

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

I have never heard of anyone who has experienced swelling of the liner after oiling a cable.

I have been oiling nylon-lined control cables for about thirty years without any problems, using the combined drips from synthetic engine oil containers, and it certainly improves the action.

I oiled my Z3 throttle cable about ten years ago, and it still works fine, while my 1981 BMW motorcycle is still on its original cables, all of which operate lightly and smoothly, even in the rain.
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Thanks for the tips boys.

Just finished putting it all back together. Took the cable out from the pedal end, threaded it through the bulkhead and un clipped it then tied it up and dribbled silicone spray down. Also sprayed the pedal spring and carb spring. All seems to be a lot better and working free. Time to hit the road.