Tachometer & clock problems

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Tachometer & clock problems

Post by Mick »

Hi there
Just bought a 2.0l Z3 roadster and I have a few clock problems that I wonder if anyone else has experienced.
The speedometer shows the speed and mileage trip as normal, then when you first turn the ignition it shows the total mileage for about one second before showing EEP_1 The tachometer, fuel gauge and temperature do not work at all. I wondered if anyone has seen this before and if EEP_1 is some sort of fault code?
zerolam

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Tachometer & clock problems

Post by zerolam »

i have similar case before but my case was only speedometer working. I replaced the coding plug which is located behind the instrument cluster.
My case was showing "ERR EPP-2"
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

It is not unheard of for the instruments to die completely - I have had it twice on my car with nothing working at all. There is a vulnerable area of the wiring harness for the instrument pod behind the dash where the cables can chafe, so it could be this.

It may be worth employing the odometer self-test to see if it can actually operate the gauges - on mine, test 2.0 causes the gauges to perform two sweeps of their full range. You can also get readings for speed, engine revs, fuel level and coolant temp digitally from the ECU, bypassing the ADC that drives the gauges. This will at least confirm that it is just the instrument pod that is malfunctioning. See http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 18&t=20201

Someone else may be able to shed some light on the meaning of the error code.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Thanks for the info guys. My speedometer is the only clock working also but it shows this EEP_1 code. This makes it difficult as it stays there and I assume is where things like "Test" and "Off" show up. Anyhow found out that mine has 21functions and managed to get into test mode 2 for the gauges. All of the needles moved over to the far side twice so I suppose this confirms all of the clocks are ok. How easy is it to get behind the instrument cluster? There appears to be two splined screws just above the dials is this all it is or are there hidden screws elsewhere? 8-)
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

These posts might be of interest:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... ost4065571
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showth ... ost4672115

Apparently EEP-1 refers to the EEPROM chip within the cluster being in update mode. All the threads I can find seem to suggest the issue is to do with dry solder joints within the cluster as some people find that the error only occurs during extreme hot or cold. Sounds like it might be a slightly involved job to swap the cluster for a working one as it has a coding chip which is linked to the ECU according to the second link above.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Thanks Xvar
Loads of information to digest! Think I will remove the instrument cluster then re plug to see if I can re-boot. Other than that it seems like a replacement instrument cluster.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

I've had it die on me a couple of times as well and got the EEP_2 code. Read this thread last night, went home and parked the car in the garage and look what come on

So it's happened a few times now but if I turn the ignition off and then back on it disappears and goes back to normal.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the information posted which I have been digesting and trying. All of the gauges work on the test routine and I have taken the cluster in and out several times in case it was a dodgy joint on the pins.
Then took the car to the garage and they tested it to make sure that all of the vital BMW information was still in the CPU as I have not had the car long, and as it had this fault on it did not know what somebody else had been up to. (could not contact the original owner)
Finally sent the complete cluster to a Company called Cluster Repairs UK Ltd. they came back after testing, saying the unit cannot be repaired as main MCU processor has failed and unfortunately this part cannot be replaced.
I know there is a lot of experience out there and wondered if anybody had any further thoughts. Does anybody have any experience with this company? What does MCU stand for? I saw in one thread about replacing the coding plug (item 7) is this the same thing? or am I completley knackered and have to replace the whole unit?
Cheers for any help. Mick
Mick

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Mick »

Hi Guys

A bit of advise if anybody knows. My instrument cluster (as above) seems un-repairable. Topaz has one from a crashed 2.2l that appears to be in working order and with a lower mileage.
Is there any reason why this should not work ok in my 2.0 litre ??