Battery corrosion

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Battery corrosion

Post by mich »

This is not really a Z related question it concerns my electric golf cart but I am calling upon the knowledge of our Electrical savvy members.
Do you know of a product that will neutralise Battery corrosion at the terminals ? This is just a temporary repair until such time that I need new batteries say 12 months down the road, the cart is at the golf club so I don’t want to remove the batteries (6) I have been told that baking soda mixed into a paste with water will do the trick. Any thoughts please
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Battery corrosion

Post by gookah »

mich wrote:This is not really a Z related question it concerns my electric golf cart but I am calling upon the knowledge of our Electrical savvy members.
Do you know of a product that will neutralise Battery corrosion at the terminals ? This is just a temporary repair until such time that I need new batteries say 12 months down the road, the cart is at the golf club so I don’t want to remove the batteries (6) I have been told that baking soda mixed into a paste with water will do the trick. Any thoughts please
vaseline

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

vaseline works for me too :D
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

did you hear about the newly wed guy who didn't know the difference between vaseline and putty?

All his windows fell out! :)
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

Vaseline?? I know this is a preventive but you need an Alkaline to neutralise which is what I am asking has anyone tried it??
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Baking soda will do the trick. It's just a pain to clear up afterwards
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

boiling water will get rid, then apply vaseline.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The baking soda can be diluted in water...even hot water if you like. Try to make the concentration as high as possible by diluting as much as the water will effectively handle. Pour a little at a time on the affested areas and when all is done...rinse off the terminal, and coat with some vaseline, or any grease will also do.
Bes is to remove the cable from the pole to make sure you get all the acidic residue off. A fine wire or brass brush to the pole will be good too before finally rinsing the whole lot off.
Most important is to make sure the battery compartment / box is thoroughly cleaned and neutralised too. If you don't it'll eventually corrode away. I have "coated the inside of my battery box with black "rubberised" paint. That paint is often used for the underside of auto bodies / chassis and the load bins of trucks. Effective sealant and because it's really thick stuff it's durable.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

Thanks Southernboy the batteries are in a plastic lined box so that will be OK, the method you mention is roughly what I thought I will give it a go and get back to you when completed I have to get a fine day as it will in the open and we have severe weather warnings. Thanks for posting :cheers
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

100% successful I was not expecting all the hissing etc when the soda came in contact with the acid residue but I let it do its work over night then cleaned off the dry remains (it looked one heck of a mess) and coated with clear grease and now it looks good, not a permanent fix but it will hold for a few months until I get new Batteries :D