Modding from scratch

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
huntert

Z3 roadster 2.8

Modding from scratch

Post by huntert »

If you where going to buy a Z3 tomorrow, knowing what you know now about modding them and how expensive it can be, would you ,

a, Look for a car that had alot of the mods on it already or.... b, Try to find an OEM car and do them yourself................
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Modding from scratch

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Having modded my car from scratch I would probably say somewhere in the middle. I've really enjoyed sourcing the parts and fitting them but it's certainly not cheap :oops:
There are probably some things you'd want on it already and others that you can add as you see fit, mine came with cloth interior :( but things like the white detangoed lights etc you'd want already on I'd say.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

If its modded you want then yes try and find one with the mods your after.. Will save you time and money.. But you can't beat adding your own mods and personal touch :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

You can see whether cosmetic mods have been done properly, but mechanical mods are best done by yourself.
Pingu
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Lol when one came up with every rare mod I wanted already on it I ended up swapping the car I had bought as a keeper. You could say I bought the mods and the car came with them
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

It all depends on wether you enjoy doing these sort of things yourself, or if you're happy to have it provided. I have found that some people "cut corners" when doing things -by my standards. As an example; whenever I join any electrical wiring, I solder the joint, and use heat shrink over the jointed area. If you've had any experience with common insulation tape, you will know that in time it will unwrap, or become a sticky gungy area where it's been applied. I use blue Loctite on nuts and bolts when I torque them, especially those I know I shan't be undoing again, or very unlikely to. That guarantees it's not likely to loosen by vibration etc over time, thus avoiding movement at the bolted joint as well as squeaks / rattles etc. It s still able to be loosened with a spanner however.
I also get the pleasure of accomplishing the task, and at the same time learn something about the car, uncover other areas that need attention etc etc.. It's all about personal involvement I guess.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
pemdp

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by pemdp »

I totally agree with Southernboy. In my opinion the best original Z3s are 6 cylinder Sport Editions. When I bought my standard 2.0 there were none in the market, as these are pretty rare here in Portugal. Some time ago I found one for sale in pristine condition and with very low mileage. If I had bought it I would probably not have the courage to mod anything at all and that would take out part of the fun. Mine is a kind of hobby project and it is much more then cruising. By doing somethings myself I learn more about the car and that maximizes the ownership experience. This is certainly not the cheapest route, but as someone said "the journey is more important then the destination".
Last edited by pemdp on Sun 20 Jan, 2013 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

If you do the mods yourself then it is done the way you want it.. i modded ours substantially from scratch and would do it again.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

i'd look at the mods the car was going to come with....if i was going to do it again then i would look for wheels roll hoops mirrors interior ....anything mechanical i would want to do myself...but i would go down the modding route again...but not from scratch
the badness makes me do it...!

Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Standard for me

The 'BEAST' 666
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

I'd start with a nice clean car every time , you know exactly where you are then. you can spend more time 're doing' some mods !
Still modifying
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I would have preferred to buy my car with the mods already fitted. Sadly nobody was stupid enough to fit all the mods I have!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Start from scratch, do it all yourself and then smile at the outcome of what you have achieved. Doing it alone means its exactly to your taste and you know exactly how and what has been done. Mine was basic when I brought it and I have modded it to my own taste with things I want, only downside is its cost me a fortune and I will never get it back but I have had so much fun doing it. If I brought the car with all the mods on I think I would get bored of just cleaning it all the time :(

If I was to get another zed, it would just be with a bigger engine but apart from that standard but with basics such as roll hoops and white indicators all around (stuff that's hard to source and that's expensive when you do). The rest would be transferred over from the old zed :D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
micklaw

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by micklaw »

Badman gee wrote:Standard for me
here here :D
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

g8jka wrote:If I brought the car with all the mods on I think I would get bored of just cleaning it all the time :(
I kind of agree with this comment. As my M was 90% complete when I bought her ( regarding modification ) and all I do now is keep it clean.
Don't get me wrong I'm so happy to have a completed car that I can just get in and drive but if your someone that enjoys 'tinkering/a project' then a completed car will leave you with an itch :wink:

Still I wouldn't have any other M! :D
('_')Z3

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by ('_')Z3 »

Z3cade wrote:
g8jka wrote:If I brought the car with all the mods on I think I would get bored of just cleaning it all the time :(
I kind of agree with this comment. As my M was 90% complete when I bought her ( regarding modification ) and all I do now is keep it clean.
Don't get me wrong I'm so happy to have a completed car that I can just get in and drive but if your someone that enjoys 'tinkering/a project' then a completed car will leave you with an itch :wink:

Still I wouldn't have any other M! :D
I agree too, which is why I would never buy a Z4. A lovely car but nothing to do :(
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

my Z4M was in the same category, everything on it and nothing to do other than keep it clean and polish it.
Much more fun to be had with the tinkering side.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

The only thing to do with a Z4 ia get a coupe and mod it into an Alpina :D . I'd love to do that.
Pingu
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Z3cade wrote:
I kind of agree with this comment.
I don't, you never stop :-)

I've still got things on my list of rare / desirable parts and finding them at bargain prices is part of the fun.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

^^ you just spoil yours rotten Jt.... :lol: