Lewy's Z3 2.8 project - latest updates Jan '16

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Lewy's Z3 2.8 project - latest updates Jan '16

Post by Lewy »

Here's my recently acquired '98 2.8 roadster in Boston green with 130k on the clock. I'm certain I bought this at good money. It needs some TLC but I only paid £1700 with full service history and a decent spec. Elec seats and hood all work fine, there are a few niggles which I'll tackle as I go along plus some cosmetic mods.

Here are a couple of the pics just after I picked her up last year -

The main thing is that it feels solid mechanically and the 2.8 engine sounds amazing! Went over to Stafford in it when I first bought it to give it a good run and really gave it the beans and my god did I come back with a smile on my face! Absolutely smoked an Audi A5 on the way there, it was only badged as an sline so probably poverty spec =)) but the real scalp was a Merc C350 coupe which at the very bottom level is £38k! The guy was really trying too! So my little hairdresser's motor which cost under 2k is mixing it with the big boys and winning which says that it can't have lost very many horses in it's 14 years and so the project begins. :-bd

The wish list is starting to build.

Amongst the first things will be simply cleaning and machine polishing along with greasing the steering column and checking out what appears to be an exhaust blowing ever so slightly. Rear pads and dics are being changed this weekend too. The overall project will be based around the main objective of improving the car, looks will be a factor but I won't sacrifice performance for looks, this is about me and how much fun I can have behind the wheel of it, not what it looks like in the car park :thumbup: At the same time I won't be trying to turn it into the Elephant Man! =)) =))

In terms of major updates, brakes / suspension / bushes / wheels (lightweight if poss) are first on the list as whilst it's got plenty of power (for now), it's awful around the corners giving you no confidence to really push it through, it wobbles, wallows and has all the characteristics of Boris Johnson bumbling around the place!

That said I already have in mind some engine mods and will start to collect the parts, even though I will not be fitting anything until I've got the handling sorted.

So after this lot cleared -

I finally got a couple of minor mods on -

First the side repeaters:

Before

After

Then the black grilles (£25 delivered from Taiwan and actually very happy with the quality)

Before

After

All red rear lights - realised I'd left my tools at my mates house so after faffing about with the wrong stuff for an hour, I drove to my mates and have the job done in about 10 mins! :roll:

Before

After

If I'm honest, the rear lights weren't what I thought I'd bought. I thought I'd bought a set of OE red rear lights but actually I might as well have just bought a can of red tint as that's all they were. I think it's an improvement but not quite the look I want.

I still have the fly eyes to play with and a set of Z3M front lights that I picked up for £150.

The wheels that are going on are these -

Although they aren't comign into the country until April at the earliest and so I've just bagged a set of 17" E36 M3 motorsports for £200 with good tyres just to give the car a better look than the 16" z stars, should have those by next Monday :thumbup:

More updates to come, thanks for looking :thumbup:
Last edited by Lewy on Mon 04 Jan, 2016 19:20, edited 4 times in total.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Lewy's Z3 2.8 project - the beginning

Post by Southernboy »

Have a look for a front strut to fit between the front suspension mounts in the engine bay. That will improve the feel on the corners considerably.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Those wheels are going to look brilliant, bet you can't wait till April :D
ImageImage
billz

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by billz »

I had no confidence in the zed around corners (was awful). The main transformation was putting conti sport tyres on and the cornering was really improved but now after fitting Bilstein B8s all round and lowering 25mm it will now hold its own against most cars on the corners. Had a run around the Evo on Taffzees cruise last year and kept up with Karls (malcolm e zed) Porche. So i would suggest going down that route, mind the Bilsteins are not cheap at around £150 a corner.
bill
Image ImageImageUploaded with ImageShack.com
Z3 3.0 Sports Sold
Z4 3.0si Ruby Black with Champagne Leather and Piano Black Dash
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Thanks for the comments guys, will definitely be looking at struts to stiffen her up, also the b8s do come highly recommended, what springs would you run with these?
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Captain wrote:Those wheels are going to look brilliant, bet you can't wait till April :D
You know it!! Very excited!
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

Nice pickup and nice project you have going on. I actually like the stock kidneys with the chrome trim for your car better because of the color of the car. Also, because of the chrome side vents, it kind of matches better (though honestly, I'm not really a fan of chrome vents). I also like the stock tail lights better than the red tinted ones you switched to.

Looking forward to seeing the wheels on your car. They'll look the business with a nice drop. Also looking to see what you come up with for the Z3M lights. I'm a noob here, so I don't know what the difference is between the ///M lights and the stockers.

Good luck with the project! I'll be monitoring your progress for sure.
ImageImageImage
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Thanks for the feedback, totally appreciate mods will always divide opinion. The way I'm going with it will also see the chrome gills disappear (thank god) in favour of something a little different, the front grilles may not stay either, watch this space ;)

Rear lights will change, I don't like the red but not a fan of oem ones either!
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

So, how fast were you going when racing the other cars?
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Bonzo wrote:So, how fast were you going when racing the other cars?
At least 200mph... :?
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Zedonist wrote:
barbancourt wrote: I don't know what the difference is between the ///M lights and the stockers.
They come on faster........... :D

There is no difference apart from the face lift lights have chrome rings round the lens
And clear indicators, I hate ambers with a passion...
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

Lewy wrote:
Zedonist wrote:
barbancourt wrote: I don't know what the difference is between the ///M lights and the stockers.
They come on faster........... :D

There is no difference apart from the face lift lights have chrome rings round the lens
And clear indicators, I hate ambers with a passion...
I used to be like that, but I've grown to appreciate the amber on cars. Gives it some "pop".
ImageImageImage
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Racing other cars on the highway is totally immature and irresponsible. A recipe for a potential disaster. Save it for track days.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Thanks for the advice Bonzo. Last time I checked this was a car enthusiasts forum where we all would consider 'spirited' driving as fun. The road in question was a dual cariageway with traffic lights - not that it's any of your business but I didn't even go above the speed limit so next time you make assumptions about people and if they were doing silly things (or not as is the case), please be aware of the facts.

I'm a very safe driver and if I find an open road where I can get my foot down I do just that, probably like 99.9% of the rest of the people here.

I never had this forum up as this type of place...
Kornknarr

M roadster S50

Post by Kornknarr »

"not that it's any of your business but I didn't even go above the speed limit so next time you make assumptions about people and if they were doing silly things (or not as is the case), please be aware of the facts. "

:P
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

It's great having a project car to play with / drive to get away from the daily now and again :-)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Are my replies to this post blocked? Have tried to submit 2 this morning and they haven't registered
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Kornknarr wrote:"not that it's any of your business but I didn't even go above the speed limit so next time you make assumptions about people and if they were doing silly things (or not as is the case), please be aware of the facts. "

:P
Meaning?
Kornknarr

M roadster S50

Post by Kornknarr »

There is a balance to everything. If someone really posts that they are overtaking cars in 200 mph a note of caution could be given. But, a forum like this does contain some people that like to take of at a red-light occasionally so we don't want to be too picky, do we?

Mostly I posted in support of the OP not in blame of anyone else. He is a new enthusiastic zed-owner. I totally understand him.

So no hard feelings in any direction, let's just continue happy zedding! :cheers

Just finished of painting in my boot after installing the famous Randy Forbes kit. By God, I wish winter would be over so I could take it to a test at a red light!

Per
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Absolutely smoked an Audi A5 on the way there, but the real scalp was a Merc C350 coupe which at the very bottom level is £38k! The guy was really trying too! So my little hairdresser's motor which cost under 2k is mixing it with the big boys and winning

:[/quote]
So, were you driving side by side at 70mph toward the traffic lights? How did you know he was really trying then. Also, by the same reason how did you know you "smoked " the Audi? "Mixing it and winning" can only mean you thought of it as a race.

Feeding your ego by posting the above? I think it's time you realised your resposibilities to other road users and took a more mature approach to enjoying yourself behind the wheel

Oh,I enjoy spirited driving as much as the next man.

Bonzo
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Your pre judgement of me says more about you than it does about me.

You may have mis interpreted my comments which were merely there to demonstrate how impressed I am with this little car, I'm used to much more powerful cars and was just pleased with the acceleration that's all. You seem to have dreamed up a whole other story and mis judged my driving and my consideration for other road users.

Now if you don't mind, this is a project thread, not a how to drive lesson.

More updates ON TOPIC coming up :grin:
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Looking forward to the updates :grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Zedonist wrote:Please avoid the flame war gents, I expect you would not encourage this on your on forum site Lewy? We should all remember there all ages on this forum some with very different ideas of ownership, modding and driving styles, we should embrace them all, as it adds to the information that is available on this site and is why it has endured over the years, so yes, please give comments and opinions but dont be derogatory against each other and look the other way if offended by a post, others will undoubtedly be interested. otherwise this will turn into a site for minorities.
I'm here to be amongst Z enthusiasts, not to have to defend myself about my ego or driving ability. You're right, we wouldn't like to see this type of thing on our forum either.

Other than this slight issue this is a really great site with lots of great info, keep up the good work and hope to bump into many of you at the shows this year, possibly even join you guys for a couple?
Vic-Z3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Vic-Z3 »

and hope to bump into many of you at the shows this year,
Slightly inapropiate .................. :wink: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
----------------- BMW Z3 Das Beste Auto -----------------

Mein altes Auto riecht nach Nudeln, hat dieses Auto eine Wurst Geruch.
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Zedonist wrote:
Lewy wrote:
Zedonist wrote:Please avoid the flame war gents, I expect you would not encourage this on your on forum site Lewy? We should all remember there all ages on this forum some with very different ideas of ownership, modding and driving styles, we should embrace them all, as it adds to the information that is available on this site and is why it has endured over the years, so yes, please give comments and opinions but dont be derogatory against each other and look the other way if offended by a post, others will undoubtedly be interested. otherwise this will turn into a site for minorities.
I'm here to be amongst Z enthusiasts, not to have to defend myself about my ego or driving ability. You're right, we wouldn't like to see this type of thing on our forum either.

Other than this slight issue this is a really great site with lots of great info, keep up the good work and hope to bump into many of you at the shows this year, possibly even join you guys for a couple?
Well i certainly like a beer, and i am close if you want to meet swap ideas.
Sounds good to me :D There may even be some value in bringing our forums together for a couple of meets you never know. :?:
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Vic-Z3 wrote:
and hope to bump into many of you at the shows this year,
Slightly inapropiate .................. :wink: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Heh heh heh - very good! :roll:
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Zedonist wrote:
Lewy wrote:

Well i certainly like a beer, and i am close if you want to meet swap ideas.
I'm not far away either, be good to meet up...
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Always up for this :D
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Lewy's Z3 2.8 project - made my decision on brakes

Post by Lewy »

So I finally made my choice on the brakes. I really wanted something better than OEM BUT I didn't want to do anything like a BBK as a lot of the time, they're a bit overkill unless we're taking to the track so here's my choice -

Ferodo DS2500 pads (bought from Camskill)
OEM style discs from brakeparts.co.uk

Total was about £300 for front and rear so not the end of the world.

I know a lot of people recommend EBC but I also know plenty of people who say they eat discs and generally are no good so wanted to go a step up from these.

Both came recommended from a good friend of mine who I trust with anything to do with cars and so we'll see how good they are, they were due to go on yesterday but in the end I had to postpone 'til next weekend.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Bonzo wrote:Absolutely smoked an Audi A5 on the way there, but the real scalp was a Merc C350 coupe which at the very bottom level is £38k! The guy was really trying too! So my little hairdresser's motor which cost under 2k is mixing it with the big boys and winning

Lewy. Re.your last mention of this. I can only reply to what you write in your posts. I'm not a mind reader. I haven't dreamed up anything, I was merely quoting the text of your post and my thoughts of its content. I stand by what I said. My wife has acquaintances who have lost a loved one and also one left severly injured by speeding motorists. Let's leave it there shall we?
Last edited by Bonzo on Tue 05 Feb, 2013 22:34, edited 1 time in total.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Glad your enjoying the 2.8 Lewy, there great fun and yes are quick cars! There great for B road spirited drives and long cruisers on the motorway..
Look forward to your progress, the new wheels choice looks a good one.. :wink:

Keep up the good work! :geek:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Hi all, been a while since I updated and in between the boredom of working on some e-commerce stuff for our own site, I thought I'd share some recent updates -

Firstly I have to tell you that this is the first time I've ever got to properly working on a car - sad i know! I'm used to driving and cleaning and that was as far as it ever got. Didn't want to touch my old 6 series for fear of breaking it however I feel much more confident about working on the Z, I think that it's a much more simple car to work on with much more online resource to help :D

A couple of weeks ago a friend came round to teach me how to swap my brakes. I've been sat on the brakes for 2 weeks. Went for Ferodo racing pads with a good quality oem disc ;)

After my good mate AK left (and after he tw*tted himself in the face by the ratchet! =)) =)) =)) ) I carried on by myself!
Decided to change the red rear lights as they looked shite, fly eye'd the top part of the oem lights but still need more
Yeah....
Also bought some Motorsport wheels as an interim whilst waiting for mine to appear...
Felt great to understand it all and finish the job on my own. Also realised the value of being 'close' to your car as you literally see everything that needs attention ~x(

Next onto the side gills mod, this will not be for everyone...

Then keyed the surface of the vents for the new paint to take.

Very quick and easy coat of copper for the mesh part

And then onto the re-colour of the vents - I've been saying gunmetal but actually this isn't gunmetal, it's a much, much nicer colour than that ;) Can anyone guess?

Then re insterted the mesh behind the vents -

And after a bit of jiggery pokery with the clips on the ones coming off the car, here they are on!

You'll notice I'm missing the BMW badge part, I think I'll eventually fill these in but for the time being I'll be putting a set of these on order for all round -
Next onto the lights and a bit of cleaning!

I assume this part is the TCS which it doesn't clear...

Next job to change the amber lights to the 'M' lights that I'd picked up a few weeks ago.

Only 4 bolts holding in the light fitting and obviously the bulbs just twist out so nice and easy

Well... maybe not so easy!

The bulbs are quite difficult to access from behind so after unscrewing the light fitting I felt it easier to take out the air box to get in behind and make easy work of it... (hmmmm)

So with the airbox out of the way it was dead easy to get by chubby hands down and unplug everything :thumbup:

Now anyone with a touch of the OCD's about them will understand this, I couldn't bring myself to just put the new headlamp unit in without giving everything a good clean, it was filthy!

Some before and after pics comparing with the dirty offside (I was working on nearside) -

And just about enough light to fit the near side lamp back in and take a some pics.

Now one thing I've realised is not to be too quick to dismiss a mod.

The side gill mod from the previous week didn't look quite right before and does need a little work, however with the clear lights now in place, it feels one step closer to my vision of how the car will look by the end (if there is such a thing!) and I actually think that the side gills look good :thumbup:

Next up I've always hated chrome and the outer chrome trim on the badges always bugged me so I tried to do something about it.

First wrapped the entire badge using satin black wrap and a heat gun
Then carefully went around the edge with a blade and peeled back excess wrap leaving just the chrome trim covered
Now onto the centre part, this is where I get the very expensive technical engineering clobber out :lol
This was just the right size to draw around and cut out
Was tempted to leave like this
But after a bit of thought went for a bit of a change
And on the car the next morning
And the next day...
I finished off with a little more cleaning and the offside light going in -

You'll see I took the windscreen wash reservoir out so that I could get better access to the areas for cleaning, plus it made much easier work getting to the bulbs at the back.

I got a pretty good deal on the new lights knowing that there was some damage that needed repairing, one of the bulb holders was burned which had also damaged the seal too -
So I just nicked the bits from the outgoing lamp -

And we're done -

Also fixed a 'tapping' from the top of the engine - After taking off the cover I put my finger on the top of each coil pack and found that C4 was vibrating. I took out the coil pack and the spark plug. Once cleaned and tightened back up, engine's running sweet! :thumbup:

Did notice some signs of oil leaking though although not badly - not sure if you can see it here -
And also dropping down below -
Any tips?

The engine bay is much cleaner now although still plenty more to go -

And couldn't resist a few more pics :thumbup:

A few (dirty) pics from Brands Hatch - 3.5 hours of mway driving later and about to do the return leg, forgive the lack of badges as the weather wasn't good enough to get a good adhesion. Some may notice a cheeky debadge mod though :thumbup:

Next update - oil change and 'proper' clean.

Thanks for looking!
Last edited by Lewy on Wed 06 Mar, 2013 23:17, edited 2 times in total.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Re: Lewy's Z3 2.8 project - various updates 06/03/13

Post by Z3cade »

Great effort and looking good, But...
Jesus :shock:

I would get a wire brush on those callipers and get them painted..!
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Z3cade wrote:Great effort and looking good, But...
Jesus :shock:

I would get a wire brush on those callipers and get them painted..!
Haha, already had that ribbing from the site I run! :D I'm going to be getting some braided hoses and will give the calipers the proper treatment. they are pretty minging!

Here are some more pics from the weekend just gone, photobucket jumbled the pics up but an interim oil and filter change - used cheap oil and a treatment and it's all coming back out in 1000 miles and also a cheeky clean - nothing too major but certainly looks loads better with a bit of a shine :)

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Thanks for taking the trouble to share the photos – car has cleaned up nicely – I can almost see the sheen on the Mohair roof. :sunny

Looks like a slight rocker cover gasket leak?

Your old oil filter looked slightly collapsed, I would keep an eye on that at the next oil change – may have just been a cheap filter.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

I have to say, when i started reading this thread, i wasnt too keen but now it looks class!! - loving the progress
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

looking good mate :D you didn't sacrifice the chrome side grills and paint them did you ..... :shock: if you didn't you could get good money for them . and used another set for painting....
eyerisk

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by eyerisk »

I am very jealous.....looking amazing mate was not sure about the side grills but actually look amazing (full OCD with the piri piri assistance)......oh if you still have the chrome grills I am looking for some. I really now want to fit new headlights and am looking for smoked side repeaters on ebay as a type on my laptop.

Keep posting the pics, this is why I joined the site.......brilliant.

I am attempting this evening to get my pics uploaded, have them on photo bucket just need to work out upload.....

Cheers

Ian
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Del wrote:Thanks for taking the trouble to share the photos – car has cleaned up nicely – I can almost see the sheen on the Mohair roof. :sunny

Looks like a slight rocker cover gasket leak?

Your old oil filter looked slightly collapsed, I would keep an eye on that at the next oil change – may have just been a cheap filter.
Thanks Del, the roof does need the AG treatment so hopefully the sun will shine at the weekend for that, I've bought a rocker cover gasket as a precaution so have that ready to fit, hopefully that solves it, glad you mentioned this too as it makes me more confident that it's the problem :D

Spot on, think it was a cheap filter but I am still learning, what would make a filter collapse?
dallantan wrote:I have to say, when i started reading this thread, i wasnt too keen but now it looks class!! - loving the progress
Thanks buddy, still plenty to go yet, the rear will see something different happening to it but I'll keep this as a surprise ;)
PCSAM wrote:looking good mate :D you didn't sacrifice the chrome side grills and paint them did you ..... :shock: if you didn't you could get good money for them . and used another set for painting....
No thankfully Southernboy mentioned that they were worth a few quid so I bought a set of blue one from the old eBay (£20)
eyerisk wrote:I am very jealous.....looking amazing mate was not sure about the side grills but actually look amazing (full OCD with the piri piri assistance)......oh if you still have the chrome grills I am looking for some. I really now want to fit new headlights and am looking for smoked side repeaters on ebay as a type on my laptop.

Keep posting the pics, this is why I joined the site.......brilliant.

I am attempting this evening to get my pics uploaded, have them on photo bucket just need to work out upload.....

Cheers

Ian
Still have the Chrome my friend and open to offers :) Thanks for your kind comments, make this sort of thing worth while when you get a bit of appreciation from your peers ;) I'll be on the look out for your pics later 8-)
Julie Z3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Julie Z3 »

Looking good, thanks for the updates...............................I'm amazed people can do the work and still find time to take quality pics to post on here. I would end up dropping the camera in the waste oil container :dunce:
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Julie Z3 wrote:Looking good, thanks for the updates...............................I'm amazed people can do the work and still find time to take quality pics to post on here. I would end up dropping the camera in the waste oil container :dunce:
Haha, thanks Julie, threads need pics :D
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Looking good :)

You think your oil filter was bad though, the first time I changed the oil on mine the filter I pulled out was in 2 pieces. It hadn't just collapsed it had split in half :shock:
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Lewy wrote:what would make a filter collapse?
It can point to oil pressure issues but a simpler and more likely cause is just that it has been left in too long and got choked up. It only looked slightly collapsed – I’ve helped my son on various cars and seen them squished like an hour-glass.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Hi Lewy, great picture diary of all the work you carried out, super stuff! When you had the airbox off did you check the power steering reservoir for fluid level and condition? Going by the look of your oil filter I think it would be worth checking it if you haven't done so.

Our 2.8's are both 1998 models, mine born on 16th April, so our mechanicals will be identical I guess. Your engine bay looks identical to mine. Did you say your front cross strut fouls on something? Can you elaborate as i'm thinking of fitting a strut myself. Later '98 models don't seem to have that raised thingy on the inlet system.

Cheers,

Bonzo.
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Bonzo wrote:Hi Lewy, great picture diary of all the work you carried out, super stuff! When you had the airbox off did you check the power steering reservoir for fluid level and condition? Going by the look of your oil filter I think it would be worth checking it if you haven't done so.

Our 2.8's are both 1998 models, mine born on 16th April, so our mechanicals will be identical I guess. Your engine bay looks identical to mine. Did you say your front cross strut fouls on something? Can you elaborate as i'm thinking of fitting a strut myself. Later '98 models don't seem to have that raised thingy on the inlet system.

Cheers,

Bonzo.
Hi Bonzo, thanks for the comments :D . I've bought a Simota induction kit so will be removing the air box again soon, would indeed be a good idea to check out the steering fluid. The whole car needs tlc and so wouldn't be a bad idea to renew the fluid.

I believe the strut brace was fouling on the TCS unit - my bad as I bought a bargain one for £20 hoping that it's fit, was worth the punt but sadly no fit.

There's not a lot in it, in fact this pic makes it look like it fits:

However on closer inspection it's about 5mm out

I'm looking into options at the moment but I think I just got the wrong one. That said I'm also tempted with a TCS delete (if at all possible) and on the look out for a decent LSD instead, the ones that are on our models aren't that highly rated.
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Lewy, remind me what a TCS thingy is please. :oops:
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Traction control mate - or at least I think that's what the unit is that's fouling the strut, trying to look on RealOEM.com to see if I can find the part but it's not easy to find :head:
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

It's update time! Had these wheels in refurb last week and picked them up on Friday. Eibachs and Goodrich braided brake hoses should arrive today too :D

At the refurb place -
Just got back home

Much happier with the width although once lower I'll assess the spacing as it might need 10mm-

Please excuse the rusty hubs! This weekend's job!

So issues so far is that I definitely feel the extra unsprung weight when pushing it compared with the forged Motorsports, however the quality of the rubber on the rear is very noticable and I feel much more planted at the back end. Tramlines a little which might suggest 225s for the front anyway. It also seems over responsive on the steering at speed compared with what it used to be like so not sure why this is. Lastly the ASC flashes at speed even though my match on the rear was within the 2.5% rolling diameter. This might be academic anyway as I'm not convinced with the handling at present.

Verdict so far - liking the look but not sure if I've done the wrong thing for the performance - ultimately I'll be looking for a much lighter set of staggered CSL's but not sure how quickly I'll be doing this.
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Lewy »

Oh and forgot to mention, I've decided to bite the bullet and give this car more muscle after the summer is out so any engine mods are out the window this summer, will only be working on cosmetics and handling. I'm on the hunt for a Chevvy LSX series engine or donor car - yep, I'm an idiot!
Lewy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Lewy's Z3 2.8 project - latest updates June '13

Post by Lewy »

Well I haven't been around much of late with work but I have been lurking around here and there!

Anyway some progress on the Z but not before taking a few steps back.

After changing the wheels over the car developed some nasty characteristics of being very skittish and very un predictable on most roads. I wasn't going to accept that this was a wheel issue although I did think it was an issue with geometry. I took the car into my local indy for a check up before going for a hunter aligment and the verdict was not great ending up in the rear axle having to come off to replace the rear axle carrier bushes.

I have to say that BM Euroservice in Wolverhampton are very good and I trust them with my cars every time.

After feedback from Mark and Paul at BMW Euro we created this to do list for although I was already aware of some stuff - some are now sorted:

New axle carrier bushes - DONE
New diff mounting - DONE
Braided brake hoses - REARS DONE - FRONTS STILL TO DO
New handbrake cable - DONE
Paint Disc hubs - REARS DONE - FRONTS STILL TO DO
Brake shoe springs refit with cup washers - DONE
PAS cooling pipe replace
Replace corroded parts of exhaust
Caliper clean and paint - I have the rears off the car to do tomorrow - REARS DONE
New suspension all round - DONE (DIY)
Fit front lowering springs - DONE (DIY)
New Powerflex bushes all round (apart from recently replaced mountings)
Sort cam cover leak
Fit new thermostat
Spark plug change
New rocker cover gasket
Hunter realignment
New clutch

The total bill for the works carried out was a bit scary coming in at £850 but they did cap the labour for me as it took them over 2 days and I only ended up paying around 8 hours labour. The car really was in a sorry state as so many parts were so corroded. Luckily the body is ok though.

Here's some of the caliper work I did whilst the car was in at the indy -

Also found out why I was getting a rattling at the rear end, the spring or catch (not sure of the name) on the back of the pad had totally dropped out meaning there was nothing keeping the pad on the piston, I bit of hammering and the rivet was back in :)

And onto the wire brushing and painting...
Old vs new

Considering the suspension still needed changing when these pics were taken and the alignment is still out, the car felt much more solid at the back, it was obviously a hell of a lot of work so whilst they'll never read this, I have to say thank you to BM Euroservice of Wolverhampton, as always I can highly recommend their work. Whilst it was a hefty bill, they knocked off a load of labour and capped it at 8 hours, even though they've spent at least 2 - maybe 3 days on the car.

I'm picking up a load of digital pics of the work they did and will update as they were kind enough to snap as they went along although the visual difference is nowhere near the new feel of the rear end, can't wait to get the rest sorted.

Here's a few pics of the works carried out :lol:

Also some visual improvements were that they painted the rear discs and as per previous pics, I painted the calipers. The hub and wheel nuts still need sorting - I'm sure you'll agree, but much tidier at the back -

And a front for comparison - next job I guess!

After my bargain shock absorbers arrived last Thursday and some may know I already bought my lowering springs a couple of months ago, my friend kindly lent a hand (err, actually did alot of the work :lol: ) and 'we' fitted new shocks and springs all round. Quite chuffed with the final result, here's some pics :) Paid £190 delivered for brand new Sachs OEM shocks, I thought that was pretty good as the indy wanted almost double that plus £200 for fitting so a good £350 ish saved here.

And a quick before and after pic (although it was dark when we finished)
Before:
After:

still needs to settle a little although I was hoping for a bit lower on the rear, front sits really nice now but more importantly, took it for a spin to the kebab shop and it's like a new car, all that jumping around that I moaned about before is pretty much sorted with this work and the recent rear bush work combined, just needs the bushes on the front sorting and then hunter alignment and it's going to be a great car to drive - I can't wait! This will be done whilst I'm in Portugal next week.

Learned a hell of a lot here and whilst this is really a 2 person job, I'd be comfortable tackling this type of stuff from this point forward, massive thanks to my mate AK for hooking me up.

As with everything with me at the moment, there is a downside. Under very low speeds I'm getting a judder through the steering wheel now, although the PAS fluid is leaking which is also being sorted next week whilst I'm away and so fingers crossed, with new pipes and new fluid it'll be ok - hope it's not the rack!

And then finally today went to the Trentham Car show with my BMW forum and finally started to enjoy the car, it's the best it's ever looked - that's my mate's E36 M3 next to it too.

Getting a very rare polish!
Just for jokes -

Thanks for looking, the car goes in for a clutch, PAS cooler pipe and some new bushes this week whilst I'm on holiday and so fingers crossed I can finally then get it hunter aligned when I get back and then I can enjoy driving it again :D I'll try not to leave it so long next time!