Brakes upgrade

Tyres, exhausts, suspension, strut braces, air filters, brake pads/rotors and anything else for 'dawn raiders'.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Brakes upgrade

Post by martyb »

Im looking into upgrading my brake discs and pads whilst you know doing the essential calliper spraying with some red paint. 8-)

I have a 1.9 and i have been looking at getting grooved discs rather than regular solid discs for both performance and aesthetic reasons.

So after having a nosey about I seen these on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Brembo- ... 4cf7764d86

brembo max discs. Has anyone any experience with these? Also for some reason I cant find matching rear discs.

Or if any of you have any other recommendations on grooved discs and pads with a braking performance upgrade please do share it with me.
markrnorton

Other roadster

Re: Brakes upgrade

Post by markrnorton »

Tried brembo max, good discs with the right pads
Still modifying
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

whats pads did you use them? matching brembo pads or some universal high quality pads?
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

remember you will get solid disks not vented . I did the drilled and groves on my 1.9 looked good but im not sure I got any more performance from them
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I upgraded the wife's to vented discs, See thread in my signature
Last edited by gookah on Tue 12 Feb, 2013 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Vented discs are better than solids from since they have the capacity to cool quicker than solids. Grooved and drilled are better since they can dispose of brake dust and moisture more efficiently. Pads are best selected to suit your driving style. If you are a heavy footed driver and do hard braking then choose a pad with the relative heat and wear properties to suit. As a rule, it's better to apply brakes as little as possible vs light braking over a long period. Use the gears as a means of slowing the car rather than brakes to slow you. This will prolong the life of discs and pads, as well as minimise the heat build-up in the discs. The larger the disc diameter the better your stopping power.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

The Brembo max discs are fine with something like EBC greenstuff pads, if you're not going mental
Still modifying
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

MTEC brakes do a 4 wheel drilled grooved set for the Z3 1.9 which includes Mintex pads. The holes and grooves look nice and sporty and are supposed to help clear water etc. Mintex are an old brake firm and have all the latest EU/TUV approvals etc. Would look the business with red calipers :lol:
Cost = £164
http://www.mtecbrakes.co.uk/
More of a style upgrade than making a difference to performance
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Im still really looking at the brembo max discs.

Although i do really like the look of the mtec brakes package iv noticed that you can choose which style of disc is required i think id go for drilled and grooved. Cause im sure they must give a slight performance upgrade but i think theyd look great with some painted calipers ofcourse.

Although i noticed theres two thicknesses of front discs and although the description is rather vague however the picture shows vented discs. How thick does the standard caliper on a z3 manage to fit in terms of discs and pads. The mtec kit seems fairly good value for money.
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Don't know about quality but there is plenty of choice here:

http://www.bmtown.com/Z3.htm

And they all look superbe!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

martyb wrote:
Although i noticed theres two thicknesses of front discs and although the description is rather vague however the picture shows vented discs. How thick does the standard caliper on a z3 manage to fit in terms of discs and pads.
As far as I know, the 1.9 cars all had the solid 12mm thick front disks whereas the 6 cylinder cars had vented front discs which are almost twice as thick. Some fitment lists do imply that some 1.9 models (possibly the later facelift ones) had vented discs – so you would need to check yours to be 100% sure.

As Gookah explains in his thread for his wife’s 1.9, he had to fit different callipers when changing the front disks from solid to vented. Obviously this adds expense and more work and really depends on how far you want to take your brake upgrade.
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

as I said mate solid disks only for your car (m44) I would save your cash and get a set of callipers and hanging brackets (very important you get them) they don't have to be from a z3 most BMW cars 325 and so on .then you can get vented drilled and grooved disks .then you will have a proper brake upgrade ,not a cosmetic one 8-)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I agree...there's a few Z3's being broken on eBay (UK) at the moment, and I know one is a 2,8. Those calipers etc will work well on your car, and with vented discs, you can then choose grooved drilled etc. for the discs
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

Southernboy wrote:I agree...there's a few Z3's being broken on eBay (UK) at the moment, and I know one is a 2,8. Those calipers etc will work well on your car, and with vented discs, you can then choose grooved drilled etc. for the discs
Or if you find a 3.0 breaking the brakes are the same as on the M..... 288mm disks for the 2.8 ....................300mm for the 3.0 and M
Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

Are the bigger discs and caliper fits any sort of wheels?? ex. 16" standard on the 1.9L??
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Pierrick wrote:Are the bigger discs and caliper fits any sort of wheels?? ex. 16" standard on the 1.9L??
Standard 3.0 discs and calipers (300mm) were fine for me with 16" and above wheels.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal