Wish me luck

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
r100elp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Wish me luck

Post by r100elp »

I head off to collect my 1st zed this week traveling to deepest darkest Kent before my epic 550 mile journey home begins.
The plan is to take the Mrs with me to keep me awake, and we will probably take a couple of days to make the return trip back here to Northern Ireland via Cairnryan in Scotland. I think we will try and get to Leeds on the first day assuming I can get through the dartford tunnel and dont spend all day going round the M25 :head: It looks like most of the day will be spent on motorways but you never know where the sat nav will take you! Need to find somewhere nice to eat on Friday night (other than Greggs the bakers) so any recomendations would be good. Also I was looking to see if just Roadsters would let you collect items from them in Doncaster as I fancy a perspex wind breaker but as yet I have had no reply from them :(
When I get home I will try to post some photos of the trip and im sure i just might have some zed related questions to be answered too. :rtm:
NOW the proud owner of a 98 1.9 M44 Z3 in silver.

Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Wish me luck

Post by Bonzo »

Phew! What a trip. All the best chum. :drive :thumb:
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Just look at it as an adventure and enjoy every mile, good luck :wink:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

How was the trip ? or are you still sleeping it off :)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Radlitt

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Radlitt »

Take it easy through Syria.
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

you will love the trip back . i did when I went down south to get my 3.0i :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

You'll love it and probably end up driving the long way home. :wink:

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Ragtop

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Ragtop »

I wish you luck on your journey, I live on the borders of Kent in East Sussex and we have had lots of snow down here today. Hope its nearer the end of the week when you get down here.

Hope you enjoy your Zed they are lovely cars to look at and drive. :drive
Brian4

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian4 »

Have a safe trip back and enjoy. If you are stopping in Leeds try Bryants fish and Chips in Headingly. We always enjoy it when in Leeds

http://www.bryansfishrestaurant.co.uk/

Don't forget the photo's when you get time.

Brian
Brian
3.0I Topaz Blue

2000 E36/7 Z3 3.0i
2016 F31 335d
2015 F21 118i
r100elp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by r100elp »

Ragtop wrote:I wish you luck on your journey, I live on the borders of Kent in East Sussex and we have had lots of snow down here today. Hope its nearer the end of the week when you get down here.

Hope you enjoy your Zed they are lovely cars to look at and drive. :drive
Friday 15th is when I go so hopefully it will be all gone by then :shock:

r100elp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by r100elp »

Just waiting there for me to take home ...... the long way home!

seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Wishing you luck on a successful adventure - look forward to hearing about it when you get home :D
[/url]
ImageImageImage
aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

If you want a convenient stop off near Leeds you could come off at jn40 M1 head for Wakefield and there is a Days Inn or Holiday Inn just off the roundabout. There is also a great pub just around the corner called Silkwood Farm which do great meals with puddings to die for. Maybe easier rather than venturing into centre of Leeds especially after a long drive, let me know if you decide to stop there I am just down the road and it's always good to meet a fellow Z owner. :D
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

Rocking seats ? You need seat bushes click HERE
Zed Carer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Zed Carer »

r100elp wrote:I head off to collect my 1st zed this week traveling to deepest darkest Kent before my epic 550 mile journey home begins.
The plan is to take the Mrs with me to keep me awake, and we will probably take a couple of days to make the return trip back here to Northern Ireland via Cairnryan in Scotland. I think we will try and get to Leeds on the first day assuming I can get through the dartford tunnel and dont spend all day going round the M25 :head:
Hi and welcome.

I used to do a similar journey for work and after the Dartford tunnel used the M11 / A14 / A1 back to Yorkshire - boring but generally not too bad a run and Cambridge Services are OK for a short stop. As aceman has posted there are hotels just off M1 J40 on t'other side there is a Premier Inn just off the A1 near Ferrybridge (just off the A645 between Pontefract and the A1) - it's a bit nicer/quieter than the Travelodge in the Service area. Nice and sunny here today so fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Hers: Z4 2.0i Sp --------------------- His: Z3 2.8
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Very best of luck mate. Enjoy the drive back - take the scenic route!! Hope you get dry weather for some roof down action, you might as well while over the Irish Sea as we don't see much dry weather nowadays in Norn Iron.

Will wave if I see you around :devil:
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Have you got it yet :?: :D
r100elp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by r100elp »

on the ferry, just, long story i just hope i make it home full report to follow on car and silkwood farm!

aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Sounds ominous, good or bad ?
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

looks like he made it . I bet you hit some bad weather mate :shock:
and welcome the Z3 club :D 8-)
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Looking fwd to the report.... :D

With an M??

seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by seasurfer »

Sounds like an adventure, hope you get home safely with zeddy

Gill
[/url]
ImageImageImage
r100elp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by r100elp »

Firstly Silkwood Farm is the most amazing place to eat. A big thank you from me and my Mrs to aceman for the tip, im just sorry we didn't have the time to arrange a meet.
We did 530 miles in 2 days at about 36mpg and as 400 of those were at 70mph :D on the motorways I dont think thats too bad.
1st day was very long with a 5.00am start for a 6.45 flight to Gatwick followed by 3 trains eventually arriving in Ashford at 10.30.
Zed was inspected and then purchased mileage 54500, and we then set off via M20 Dartford tunnel and the M25 and headed for Just Roadsters near Doncaster for another little purchase :D a perspex wind deflector.We didn't get there until after 5.00pm and the only problem we had was finding toilets that were open :roll: and the drivers door wouldnt open from the outside, although it was fine when we started. Made it to Silkwood Farm for 7.00pm and after eating went to Leeds East Premier Inn £29 for the room. Fell asleep rather quickly once there very good value and good nights sleep had by all.
2nd day and guess what the drivers door was opening again using the handle. Headed to Gretna and got there at about 11.30 but there is a retail park there and when my Mrs sees shops :head: By the time I'd found her again we had 95 miles left to do in 2 hours but then the snow started. The Sat Nav then sent us over the mountain instead of round the coast and the snow got worse and the road got worse and the only cars we saw were 4x4s. We made it to Cairnryan with 10 minutes to spare and went to security where I was asked to open the boot which for some reason I couldnt get open with the engine running so switched it off. Checks done i got back into the car, once the Mrs had opened the door for me from the inside again, :head: :head: and then nothing. Not a peep! Trip reset itself clock reset itself and radio was looking for a code :head: :head: :head: Had to push the car to one side and eventually power was restored and the engine fired up and onto the boat we went. I have no idea what happened or how it was fixed but it might have something to do with the imobilizer or alarm I just dont know. Anyway we had a nice flat sailing but when we got into Belfast heavy heavy rain sleet and snow again! I know for sure the roof does not let any water in :D Anyway got home found the radio code in all the history I was given and also noticed if I press my leg against the drivers door and pull the handle the door opens every time! Whats that all about? So there you have it im now the owner of a Z3 which needs a good clean especially the roof so any suggestions on the best method of doing this would also be welcome.

Paul, Amanda, & Ziggy!

aceman

M roadster S50

Post by aceman »

Glad you enjoyed Silkwood Farm what pudding did you have?

With regard to the non starting at the docks I would check the battery connections as it is not too uncommon for one of the terminals to have a bad connection. I bet slamming yhe boot lid down was just enough to dislodge one of the terminals. Also check the height of the battery because if it has been changed sometimes it can be ever so slightly lower and put strain on the terminals enough to dislodge them. Just put some packing under the battery to raise it s few mm.

Glad you got home safely and many happy zedding days to come. :wink:
Aceman

Arctic Silver '98 Z3M

Previously;
Bright RED '99 Z3 2.8

g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Try spraying some silicone spray in the latch mechanism inside the door. Works on mine as this gets a bit sticky at times and I also have to press against the door to open it :-(

Well done on getting it back safely, get some pics up ;-)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

RE roof cleaning - the Autoglym Cabriolet Fabric Hood Cleaning Kit works very wel. £20ish from Halfrauds. :D

Better results will be had if you can vacuum the roof first.

Glad you got the Zed - best of luck with it!! :)

With an M??

RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

Quite a trip!

A few niggles to sort out, but it will all be worth it! :D

As for the roof, mine was pretty bad too. Have a look at my first ever thread here : http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =3&t=36833

This was achieved using the autoglym kit, half a day, and a lot of elbow grease.
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
r100elp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by r100elp »

aceman wrote:Glad you enjoyed Silkwood Farm what pudding did you have?

With regard to the non starting at the docks I would check the battery connections as it is not too uncommon for one of the terminals to have a bad connection. I bet slamming yhe boot lid down was just enough to dislodge one of the terminals. Also check the height of the battery because if it has been changed sometimes it can be ever so slightly lower and put strain on the terminals enough to dislodge them. Just put some packing under the battery to raise it s few mm.

Glad you got home safely and many happy zedding days to come. :wink:
Ok snows away and its a dry morning so its my 1st real chance to check things out in daylight. Firstly both teminals on the battery were loose and given the road I was on yesterday that would explain what happened so put back in place and tightened up. Battery for alarm fob bought £1.34 and changed within 5 seconds (Halfrauds were looking £4.99 for a 2 pack of the same battery) and now checking the alarm and locks.
It looks like the fob works ok but the drivers door wont lock or unlock with the fob so i have to use the key. Today so far I can open the drivers door from the outside!
The alarm does not make any sound so I take it it has been turned off somewhere? Also I have a smaller key which I think is used for this. Finally for now I also have 2 very small circular keys. What are these for please? :dunce:

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Well it sounds like you had a fun trip, Paul. Bet you are glad to get your new toy home and in one piece.

As said, lubrication should sort your sticking door problem. Failure to lock/unlock a door is either an actuator or wiring problem. Can you hear the actuator trying or is it completely dead? If the boot and passenger door both lock/unlock remotely, then I think it is more likely to be the actuator.

Regarding the keys, the car would have been supplied with two full ignition keys (both with fobs), a valet key (which will start the car, but not open the glovebox etc.), an emergency wallet key (grey plastic, with a small head, works as an ignition key), and either one or two small round keys for the alarm siren. Most cars seem to have lost at least some of these by the time they get to their next owner. If you have a non-rollhoop wind-deflector, then this fits with a small key lock (similar to a filing cabinet type key), but by the sound of it, you have roll-hoops.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
r100elp

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by r100elp »

Just back from a spin with the roof down, the heater works ok too, and after a further check of all the locks it looks like the drivers door actuator is dead. The only way to lock or unlock the drivers door is with the key and the boot and passengers door locks unlock each other and the fob unlocks and locks everything but the drivers door too.
Where do I find an actuator and how much will it cost to purchase and fit? Any ideas? Oh and by the way after the short drive the drivers door wont open again except by pushing it closed again, but I know in an hour or two if I go out it will open again, just weird!

g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Have you tried lubricating the door latch mechanism yet? Give it a try it may stop the sticky door! :-)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
dennisedlin

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dennisedlin »

I had exactly the same issue with mine ( but passenger door ) when I first bought it. It was the actuator and a quick scan on Ebay provided a cheap spare. Not too difficult to swap your self but take care with the door card clips as they can break or damage the trim easily. Other than that straight forward and worked like a charm

Something like this.....but check your part number first

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-Door-C ... 460e4deff2
Z3 2.2 Sport, everyone loves a Z3