Martyb Progress thread

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Martyb Progress thread

Post by martyb »

Well guys thought id start a progress thread of my own. Noting every little upgrade or stylistic change im going to make to my z.

ohh and taking some photos along the way.

So here it is to start my 97 1.9 auto.

Soo far the first few things to be done were all maintenance related.

-New thermostat
-new radiator
-New rear shocks (sachs)
-New rear top shock mounts.
-New rubber boot hosing for air feed (old one had a small crack in it)

Parts I have here and waiting to be fitted;

- Service items oil/fuel/air filter with shell helix performance oil and ngk iridium IX plugs.
- New led interior bulb (not sure how to get the casing out just yet
- New smoked indicator side lenses and amber bulbs (right in saying they push forward to release old ones?)
- New road legal ice blue tinted bulbs.
- Bmw badge dust caps 8-)

Future Parts looking into getting;

- Halo headlamps
- interior refit to black instead of beige
- interior armrest and cupholder (really like this attachment)
- Looking into the possibility of a new top as the current one is a little tatty above doors. (been quoted over 800 quid though!! :shock: )
- some new wheels-

on the wheels though, although being a little while away, I cant make my mind up on two routes to go down.

Either silver style something like this..

or black with possibly a chrome like maybe something like this.

So these are some of the things I have played feel free to give me some feedback and even if you know of any places to pick parts up etc all info will be a great help.

cheers guys photos up soon hopefully.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Re: Martyb Progress thread

Post by Z3cade »

The deep dish wheels always look good on the Z3.. A staggered fitment with wider rears looks great.. I would recommend the cades tyrus in 18"
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

Z3cade wrote:The deep dish wheels always look good on the Z3.. A staggered fitment with wider rears looks great.. I would recommend the cades tyrus in 18"
nice recommendation :D
my old 1.9 with them on
they are now my summer alloys for the 3.0i (going back on in a few weeks ,weather permitting 8-)
Jamezee

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Jamezee »

Nice to see you have the BMW dust caps :thumb:

Is that a parking ticket on your screen?
Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one. Harry Callahan.

BMW dust caps x 4 (replica)
Little Tree Air Freshener-Vanillaroma (now worn out and in the bin)
2006 AA road atlas (with the latest safety cameras)
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Z3cade wrote:The deep dish wheels always look good on the Z3.. A staggered fitment with wider rears looks great.. I would recommend the cades tyrus in 18"
Agree :thumb:

BBS LM staggered reps look good

Or the Cades Tyrus (although these are 19's)

Other than them I would have a set of AC Schnitzers any day :D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

You’re hitting the ground running then Marty and wasting no time getting the car up to your requirements – well done.

I’ve got a black interior and what I would say is that on a very hot, sunny day (remember those) with the hood down, it can get very hot and the seats get very hot. I would guess that beige is a little cooler. Southernboy from South Africa is best placed to advise on how to keep cool in the heat. :lol: :sunny

Is your roof damaged or just dirty? If it’s just dirty and a bit faded you can buy kits to clean, re-dye and re-proof them (Autoglym and Renovo).
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Beige, black...whatever...they all get really hot. I carry a small 20mm thick soft cushion in my boot for those occaisions...Nothing more unwelcome than baked nuts. I think the cushion / pillow used to belong to my sisters child when he was a baby. Anyhow, makes perfect protection from hot leather when you get in. My interior used to beige too...I replaced it with a red/black interior. I just felt the beige was a tad too "mercedes"...but I did live with it for 6 years.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

I really like the look of the bbs lm reps,

The wheels etc wont be bought till it is running upto scratch and passes mot in may. Though im still stack at whether to go black or silver. I normally like black wheels but I sometimes feel they look small just because of the colour.

Thanks del, ill keep that in mind if we get some sun, had to take snow off it this morning haha, save myself from being an advert for KPs roasted nuts.

Got the plugs through the door today lets hope its a dry day tomorrow i can get the service done :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Best way to keep cool in the heat...Shorts, thin cotton T shirt, flipflops or similar, cap, Sun glasses with polarised lenses, aircon - on your feet, roof down and don't stop moving until you find some really good shade to park under. Leave the roof off, open the bonnet so the heat goes out that way and doesn't radiate into the cockpit. Coolerbox in the boot with the preferred coolants packed in dry ice - not water ice - some face towels paced in there too - at least half a dozen. Nothing like a really cool towel on the neck and face...also get's the dust / pollution off you and lets your skin "breathe".
Failing the above, find an airconditioned stop, park in the shade, and come out when it's cooled down outside before driving on. A drive should be a pleasure, not an endurance against the elements, and there's nought better than driving topless in the dusk, DRL's on, cool air in your face and a purring Zed in your hands... :D
"Normal is overrated"

martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

southernboy as much as that scenario sounds awesome in scotland we very very rarely get anywhere near that haha. still dying for the first decent day for a top down moment! :D
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

**update**

Well fowks the service was completed.

New fuel filter ( plus a free hat full of fuel )
New air filter
New oil filter and shell helix ultra 5w-40
Fitted ngk iridium plugs.
And a light reset with the service tool i got off ebay, handy little item that.

Thanks to all this the cold morning grumble to get going and rough running has been completely removed cant single out which part in particular may have solved it ie oil but in general whole car runs smoother and engine feels more responsive. So happy with that :D

ohh and had a wee chance to fit my black indicator lenses heres a wee pic

and the part youve all been waiting for.... the bmw replica dustcaps yeahhh babyy!! haha

Iv got my ebay account watching a set of m seats in blue/black to match the rest of the car if the price stays low ill be into them.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

and that's why I admire you guys so much...in spite of the lack of warm weather etc there, you still have the heart for a top down roadster. :cheers
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

So, you're also watching them...heh heh heh... :twisted:
"Normal is overrated"

martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Haha potential other bidder i see well my suspension overhaul is first on my list aswell as a few other mechanical upgrades so may they have to come a bit further down the price range right now. May the highest bidder win haha. :P
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Marty the M seats are by far the best mod you can make to a standard Z3.. Makes all the differents to the feel of the car while driving in my opinion :wink: Plus you can just buy 2 heated seat switches and have a warm bum on a cold roof down day :D go for it

Oh and regards wheel colour go for silver.. Nice set of rims with your aero dynamics kit will look superb :wink:
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

this is going to be a seriously pic heavy thread i warn you now.

Im gonna upload pics of most of the mods i can so anyone wanting to purchase the same items can see the quality and finish of them.

I have many items coming in the post over the next couple days/weeks.

heres my new aerial just need to get it fitted when its not raining.

i think the rubber mount below the current aerial will have to come off for this to attach does anyone know if thats right?
just before i go yanking! :lol:
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

From what I'm seeing, you simply unscrew the existing aerial, and screw this one in.
"Normal is overrated"

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Will you post the relative part numbers with your pics where applicable, it makes for easy ref when calling the dealers. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

i was talking alot of nonsense the rain, dry now and here it is fitted.

in truth i could do with a new rubber grommet, ill look into picking up one of these

ohh and good point southern boy i believe this to be the part number 65202296761 if you are looking for one! :)
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

cars coming on mate :D
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

YEP, NEW GROMMET... # 65218389698
"Normal is overrated"

martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

hey guys just thought id update on a couple things.

Recently purchased

mats from valuecarmats.com
new door lock pins (need to be cut to size though)
new cig lighter (even though i dont smoke thought a fresh looking one would be nice.
New m badged pedals (they only had ones with m on them im not usually into that sort of thing if its not one)
New handbrake gaitor leather and carbon fibre handle. :)
A passenger footwell cargo net.

Some need to still be fitted and some in the post still in the post. ohh and hopefully my armrest will be here by the end of the week and i can get that fitted :D

although for anyone wonderring about the quality and fit of the mats heres a couple pics.

ohh n managed to get a lovely last minute drive away with the gf away into the country finally got to open the taps properly with the hood down n i absolutely loved it.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

New handbrake handle and gaitor fitted.

Although gaitor proved tricky when putting back into place.

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

looking good mann!

here is my latest additions ;)

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=35535
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Cupholder attachment (from bmw) and armrest (courtesy of southern boy)

Thanks again mate its a great quality part.

ohh and one a little pic the lady messed about with on her phone and sent me thought id share.

:D

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Thanks mate...happy it finally made it to you. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

car is looking great mate . but it needs some alloys .......... come speak to me I may be selling my gen ACS or my 18 cades :idea:
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

As PCSAM says some alloys would definitely finish it off nicely :grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Thanks gents. Yeah PCSAM i am currently looking out for a good deal on some alloys. Got the mot next month but im fairly confident ill not have any worries and can use the set aside cash for some wheels. If your selling ill certainly be interested. :)
Helen78

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Helen78 »

Where did you get the carbon fibre handbrake handle Marty ? Is it easy to fit (for a woman!)
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Haha I got it on eBay Helen. It is relatively easy to fit. You need to cut the original off with a Stanley knife and this one didn't glue on it came with Allan headed screws which went on the mould underneath where the leather attaches and they basically tighten down onto the shaft which is how is stays on rather than glue.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

The original wheels refurbed and on! :)

martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Some new black grills :)

Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Looking good :grin:

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2
ImageImage
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

#Another update#

I have actually been doing quite a few things over the last little while but not had a chance to get more time online due to a hectic work schedule.

First of all the full respray is done. 4 bits of damage to bumpers etc all gone and repaired. Maintained the montreal blue colour just wanted fresh damage free paint.

here is some pics (took on my mobile)

Sorry for the pics just being on the driveway after the drive home but it was one of they days i wanted to get out and drive it.
The work was done by a local sprayer recommend very highly in wishaw scotland.

Also today i have just picked up my car from my mechanic having fitted a couple things i want to not and give a small review of.

Pagid front discs and pads - Breaking to a high standard again.
Meyle front strut mounts - seem to firm up the front end a little more.
Sachs super touring rear shocks - All i can is never buy anschler shocks (as the guy from eurocarparts said) only last about 3 months started knocking and poor quality feel at the rear affecting the car as a whole. Now sachs were like a breath of fresh air (could be just because of the change) but these feel solid stiffening the driving feeling right up i cant recommend these highly enough at first glance anyway.
Meyle rear strut mounts - could be another contributing factor with the great feeling new rear end equipment.

I have also purchased a wind deflector to fit in the non roll hoop models from australia. Looks like it will be a lovely addition. just need some time and dry days to fit it now.
Soon to be another oil change with shell helix performance 5w-40

Hope you guys can appreciate the direction i am going in.
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Cars looking great :cool:
ImageImage
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

You're doing some extensive renovation work there Marty - the paintwork looks very shiny and I'm sure it looks even better in the flesh. Interesting comment about the budget shocks from Eurocarparts only lasting a few months. I've fitted Sachs Super Touring to mine and they made a great improvement this past year They looked identical to the original Boge ones I took off, even down to the seams and welds - they are all made by the same OE ZF company (Boge/Sachs/Lemforder) these days. By coincidence I've also fitted some Pagid pads recently and I have been pleased with their braking response and the small amount of light grey dust they produce. :)

Any plans to get a new hood (not that yours looks bad), but just wondered if it was on the to do list. I'd like to get my 15-year old hood replaced next year. There seems to be few places that do it and I may end up driving to Croydon from North Somerset to get it done :(
mnbrennan

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by mnbrennan »

Another marty b! Your zed is looking great

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Now: '99 Z3M Coupe in imola red
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Thanks very much captain and mnbrennan. A martyb yourself per chance?

Del it would appear our minds think alike. It certainly has been a fantastic paint job. That is what I have now fitted I realise I've not made that particularly clear. I had anschler shocks and they were awful, however the sachs shocks are an immense improvement. Good to know the dust from the pads should be in low amounts. I am indeed planning to get a new hood I was aiming to get the hood redone after the harshness of the winter is over with. It's a particularly hard task to find a local fitter up here, I noticed that a lot of guys had there work done in croydon with fantastic results so it may be worth your time. :)
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Just thought I would post a little update now some parts are in and awaiting fitting.

On the to do list when I have some spare time from work and the weather gives it a break...

-Facelift centre console to be fitted including chrome rings, analouge clock and heater control bulbs.
-Black sport seats, door cards, Southernboys polished seatbelt fix parts, seat bushes and handles.
-Rear wind deflector for non roll hoop model.
-Cash is sitting for a new roof as soon as the weather pics up so it can have its week to set in dry conditions.

Jeeso when you write it out you realise how much car parts you have sitting around haha

Just wondering if anyone could help though on a couple things,

Does anyone have any picture related threads of swapping over seat bases including motors etc?
Also just placed my order for bmw bulbs and when talking to the chap about the heater control bulbs his system showed only one, although theres plenty of info on here actually picturing 2, what gives?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Heater control bulbs x 2 !! If you check on realOEM.com, it may show 1 bulb...but check in the list of part numbers, and it'll tell you the Qty = 2.... :wink:
Regarding the seats, someone here has been up to the same trick, if it wasn't you...I gather there are a couple of bolts and the cables which control the backrest mechanical tilt to be disconnected. Other than that, make sure the electrics are not attached to the old base before lifting it away...
"Normal is overrated"

martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Southernboy wrote:Heater control bulbs x 2 !! If you check on realOEM.com, it may show 1 bulb...but check in the list of part numbers, and it'll tell you the Qty = 2.... :wink:
Regarding the seats, someone here has been up to the same trick, if it wasn't you...I gather there are a couple of bolts and the cables which control the backrest mechanical tilt to be disconnected. Other than that, make sure the electrics are not attached to the old base before lifting it away...
Yeah i knew there was, I struggled to get the correct diagram on realoem but when doing my research on here, I knew this was the case. Just incase anyone else goes to their bmw dealer and only orders one, I bought two because I was positive due to reading threads on here.

Yeah from the empty seat base I can gather 2 main bolts at the front of the seat to attach the runner and motor frame which im hoping will crossover fairly easily. Just if anyone has a guide or pictures I've not came across please share it with me.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

here's a pretty good description of the process...
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f92 ... ap-t39196/
"Normal is overrated"

martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Southernboy wrote:here's a pretty good description of the process...
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f92 ... ap-t39196/
Spot on Southern boy I have had a read through there and it hopefully will prove helpful at the time of switch-over.

Not entirely sure if our seat bases have these black clips but ill take a few pics at the time n do a write-up when i get the job done.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I think if you do a comprehensive description with pics, it'll prove invaluable...often seats are up for sale, and the cost of shipping is huge because the bases weigh so much...if the seller can remove the bases, then it'll be a heap cheaper...and if you can give them a decent description on how to do it...well it's a bargain ! :D
"Normal is overrated"

martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

#update

My new roof has been supplied (car hood warehouse) and fitted (car den)

I am thoroughly impressed with the quality, fitment and appearance. I will post some pics over the weekend once I've had a chance to give the z a wash! :)

My next big project m rear bumpers and wide arches swap.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Pics update as promised.

My new roof pics. Due to the sun being low at this time of night, in the photos the blackness of the roof isn't quite captured.

My black sport seats and door cards. Not in perfect condition but fairly decent and when your bums on them, who cares?

A boot ''tidy'' I picked up from fleabay. As i've stated before im not one for badging my car with m badges when its not but its in the boot and they didnt have an alternate version.

Fitted... excuse the footy boots etc :oops:

Hope you like the progress fowks! It's getting there :)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Looking really good.... Pity BMW didn't produce the M cars in the Mora you have...I think it's my favourite colour - after my black one of course.... :D
"Normal is overrated"

martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Southernboy wrote:Looking really good.... Pity BMW didn't produce the M cars in the Mora you have...I think it's my favourite colour - after my black one of course.... :D

Thanks southernboy! :)

After I do my m rear end panel conversion it will be almost there visually. Maybe have that done for the end of the year.
martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

Hi fowks another small update for you all to see.

Removed the amber coloured rear lights for the clear style. Such a good subtle change.

now clear

a look at the rear now