Demisting problem

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Demisting problem

Post by mich »

Had problems with the demisting system on the Z last trip during the first 40-50k, the hood was up as it was a misty and chilly morning it made things worse to such an extent that I had to stop and clean the inside of the screen by hand, almost as if it was blasting water laden air onto the screen, the car had not been used for a trip in about 6 mths but it is kept in a garage so should have been nice and dry I am wondering if it could be the filter as it is the original @50,000 kilometres.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Demisting problem

Post by Southernboy »

....one of the unique characteristics of water is that it can be a solid, a liquid and a gas..."nice and dry" doesn't exist if there is water in the environment and it isn't in solid form. I would quite logically assume that the temp in your garage is sufficient to allow it to be a gas, and therefor it will permeate into everywhere and condense onto nice cold surfaces...like the airconditioning tubing of your car. A good blast of the fan with the heater on for 20 minutes should make it "nice and dry" and may put an end to your problem. You will still need to mop it off the cold surfaces of the car interior until it reaches sufficiently low levels as to no longer be noticeable. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Mike123

M roadster S50

Post by Mike123 »

I assume you had the air con switched on.

If so, it sounds like it needs recharging. It loses about 10% of it's pressure per year, so needs recharging about every 3 years. The heating/cooling system is designed for a larger car, so if it's in good working order should dry the interior in a very few minutes.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Use of the air in its recirculation mode will not help demisting at all.

Otherwise, your problem is simply an accumulation of moisture over the winter - it soaks into the seat and carpets etc, and becomes particularly obvious when the inside of the car warms up while the screen is cold.

Either use the car, or buy a dehumidifier!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

Thanks for your replies it must be an accumulation but we have had such a long, hot and dry summer it seemed improbable and Mike, of course it was not in recirculation mode but using it more is perhaps the best thing however due to age and health problems it may be that the time for selling is drawing near it is something that should be considered but I am loathe to do it as I have always had a two seater of some make and it will be admitting that Father time is winning. :bawl: :bawl: