Condensation in zed offside fog light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z4 roadster and Z4 Coupe
tonym

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Condensation in zed offside fog light

Post by tonym »

I've got condensation in the offside fog light . Anyone got Amy easy repair tips or other experience?.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Re: Condensation in zed offside fog light

Post by Z3cade »

///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

pull out all the silica (DO NOT EAT) packets from your old shoe boxes and put them all in the light.
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
weegeoff

Z4 roadster 2.0i

Post by weegeoff »

If I am out in the evening I run with the fog light on. It will clear :rtm:
mjgerrard

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by mjgerrard »

Haha I also have this. Very odd.
tonym

Z4 roadster 2.5i

Post by tonym »

Actually I've used a suggestion posted on a forum on this subject . It involves drilling several small holes in the underneath of the lense which allows the condensation to drain. I also drive with the lights on to heat them also , effective and inexpensive repair.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The foglights have a well made clip down rear half. If the seal is in good condition, water shouldn't be able to get into the housing. I would check that seal, as well as the entry points of the wires. Perhaps a small ammount of silicone at the wire entry points, and some "presstik" around the housing seal. The presstik will seal it up and still allow you to open it easily if you need to replace a bulb etc...Drilling holes is not really a solution, as water vapour will get in, and eventually mess up the reflector or even create an electrical short. Replacement units aren't cheap, and generally go for around £40 - 50 each on eBay. It's worth opening it up, gently cleaning / drying it out, and sealing it apropriately.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

Tried the hairdryer fix on mine a few weeks ago thinking the spring was here but on checking today the condensation is back......bahhhhhh

The twist / turn bulb holders are extremely tight as it is so its difficult to see how I could add any addditioal sealer and still be able to tighten it

Not tried running the fogs to dry them out though :roll: