Looking at this Z3M

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
barbancourt

Not specified

Looking at this Z3M

Post by barbancourt »

Hello all...

I was looking for a 2.2-3.0 Z3, but came across this Z3M for a pretty good price... for Germany at least. There is a problem with the frame in the trunk which I suspect may be related to the dreaded differential weld issue.

I've asked the owner about it, but they've owned it for 9 months only and said they don't know what happened to the trunk. Makes me nervous, but maybe I'd be willing to fix it.

Your thoughts and experience are appreciated. Here she is... let me know what you think!

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx? ... asrc=st|fs
ImageImageImage
PCSAM

blank

Re: Looking at this Z3M

Post by PCSAM »

not a lot of the OEM car left on it :shock: not my cuppa mate , its been played with to much I think
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

PCSAM wrote:not a lot of the OEM car left on it :shock: not my cuppa mate , its been played with to much I think
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the wheels or headlights, but those can be easily changed. I've already got wheels for the car in the garage. The interior doesn't look bad to me, except for the excessive ///M badging.

What about that trunk frame damage? Did you see it in the picture? Thoughts?
ImageImageImage
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

High km and high price
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
tags
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by tags »

It looks odd. I was interesting to see the black and white, but, that's over the top.

Tags
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

Thanks for the comments. Seems like everyone is focusing on the minor details. I'm more interested in the car itself. The rims would probably be off the car on day 1. The interior to me doesn't look bad. I could do without the ///M emblems, but the black with red piping is fine with me.

I'm really concerned with the frame damage and your comments on that. The other stuff is easily fixed. BTW, this is dirt cheap for an M Roadster in Germany. They can easily cost more than twice as much. A UK car is not an option for me due to the RHD..

Thanks!
ImageImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Boot floor can be repaired if the seams have gone so would need to factor that in knocking the price down, the rear looks odd to me :? just wandering why the bumper has cutouts for the exhausts? Looks OK but overpriced.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

TitanTim wrote:Boot floor can be repaired if the seams have gone so would need to factor that in knocking the price down, the rear looks odd to me :? just wandering why the bumper has cutouts for the exhausts? Looks OK but overpriced.

Tim.
Thanks Tim.

Unless it's a dud, it's not overpriced for Germany. The Z3's have really kept their value here. I could end up paying the same for a 2.0L in Germany that you guys pay for an M Roadster in the UK! I may go check this one out and have a BMW dealer give it the once over. It's freaking 6 hours away though, and I'm quite lazy. :D
ImageImageImage
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

It must just be me but as far as modded cars go I quite like it :oops: Is it Alpine White now / resprayed?

As you say for a LHD German car its half price of most, the wheels can easily be stripped and painted, they are M-star wheels after-all so what's the issue?

Obviously you agree a price on the proviso they either pay to have the boot fixed if required after inspection or knock-off the money. Other than that get them to pay for the inspection first.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Go for it :D

A few personal changes and it will look great
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

As others have mentioned please check out the boot welds, There is something just not right with this pic, the floor seems to bow at the point with the arrow. If the car is 6 hrs away can you get the seller to send you some more detailed pictures? The boot can of course be fixed and is not necessarily a deal breaker as long as you know what you are up against.

TitanTim wrote:just wandering why the bumper has cutouts for the exhausts?

Tim.
I thought they all had cut outs for the exhausts :shrug :?:
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Maybe the price for you isn't an issue but what about those 193000 Kms ?

What are the prices like in France or any other surrounding country ?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

Gazza wrote:Maybe the price for you isn't an issue but what about those 193000 Kms ?

What are the prices like in France or any other surrounding country ?
Well, I'm American and 193000 Km is about 112000 Mi, which to us Yankees is not high mileage at all. It only concerns me from the standpoint of how hard it would be to sell this car when I leave Germany. The Germans consider anything over 200000 Km to be toxic.

I'm trying to stay local with my purchase as much as possible.
ImageImageImage
Kornknarr

M roadster S50

Post by Kornknarr »

It looks like it has a trunk floor issue, yes. For me the only way to go about that is Randy Forbes kit. That will cost you but you should also have a good deal because of the damage.