Jonttt Imola II Red S54 Z3m Roadster Journal

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Jonttt Imola II Red S54 Z3m Roadster Journal

Post by Del »

Those silver Beetles scrub up well :D – only joking – beautiful car – I’ve always had a love for Porsche sports cars old or new.
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

Good choice Jon. Not jealous at all.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Looks great Jon and best colour :lol:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Had a great boys weekend (thanks to SWMBO for allowing it :D ), picked up the new toy on Saturday, some driving, some tinkering, all night poker session, some tinkering, some driving .........

Some pics after a full interior detail (seats out etc.....). Not had chance to detail the exterior so pics after c200 miles of road grime and in bad light but you get the idea :twisted:

and with its stablemate......

The car is pretty mint but some areas for me to tinker with in an OCD kind of way (already "upgraded" the wiper blades :oops: ).

To drive, well its awesome and lives up to its reputation. Build quality is unbelievable.

I'm away for a week now but the zed will be getting a full service and MOT the week after so just need it to warm up a little for some roof down fun 8-)
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

both got FAT behinds ...... :D
the badness makes me do it...!

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Yep, had to be a widebody version :D

I need to change the exhaust though to make it sound as loud as the Eisenmann's :lol:
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

whats the difference in driving like then Jon seeing as they come from the same era ?
the badness makes me do it...!

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

mmmmm bear in mind I've not driven the Z3 for 6 months.........and I could only drive the 993 at probably 8/10ths due to both getting to know it and new front discs (which I think I have bedded in now, see comment).

There are some fundamental differences

- The 993 is c50HP less power than the Z3m

- The Z3 has VANOS and the 993 varioram. Both give a step power change around 5000 revs

- I have the 4wd version of the 993 (though its weighted mainly to rear in normal driving, I think c95% up to 60:40 split if needed but don't quote me on that, I'm a 993 newbie :D )

- of course coupe v roady

- air cooled v water cooled

- of course engine is at the wrong end in the 993 :wink:

In simple terms they are both fast (but I guess you knew that :twisted: ) and both have a rawness to them compared to sanitised PC correct cars of today which is what I love. But at the end of the day the Porsche is in a different price bracket for a reason.........

Its build quality is astounding. The engine is more refined than the S54 (especially when cold). The power delivery in many ways is similar to the S54 but the biggest difference is the gearbox. It really shows how notchy the Z3 gearbox is. The confidence the gearbox gives you changing gear at full chatter is immense, it is quick and like slicing butter.

I can't really comment much on road holding yet as I've not pushed it to compare.

One thing is apparent though, the "big reds" are famous for a reason (the C4S has the big Turbo brakes). The last part of my final run today I had confidence that the new discs had bedded in and the feel of the power of the brakes is awesome. For such a small car it really makes you feel as though you can push it that much further than normal before hitting the brake and then the progressive nature makes you feel as though you have full control over how you want to brake rather than how you have to brake. I need to get used to the balance of the car though to really take benefit of this.

Early days yet for a proper comparison but so far the Porsche has that bit more refinement yet retains he rawness of power which the Z3 has. Build quality is another level again, it really does feel like its made out of granite.

The biggest downside of course is you can't drop the roof 8-)

I will say though, that like after driving the Z3 for a few days, getting back in my daily driver makes me feel seasick :D

-
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Two of the best, must be a pleasure to have such a choice of which car to drive :)
ImageImage
Bi11

M roadster S54

Post by Bi11 »

You are a lucky so and so!

The wide bodied porker is a bit special. I will be interested how you rate the two of them in 12 months time.

At least it is being received a bit better here than by the coupe boys.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Lol, the coupe guys seem OK now that we have clarified that you can post an "off topic" thread in the "off topic" section of the coupe forum :roll:

Anyway they should be pleased that I've seen the error of my ways and bought a coupe :twisted:

Had to put the Z3m service and MOT off a week due to work commitments so no roof down action for me this weekend (MOT has now expired) :head:

I've bought the same Becker Cascade Headunit for the 993 as I have in the Z3m. The plus side is I got the last V5.2 software and maps and have managed to "back them up". The safest place I could think of to keep the backup was in the Z3 :D

Becker pulled out of the car radio market a couple of years ago now (they are concentrating on sat navs as a lot of OEM units are Becker as in my Merc) and so they have stopped supporting the software. However the V5.2 software supports CF cards larger than the Becker 2GB cards (the maps are stored on CF card). The beauty of that is you can use the latest BMW maps on 4GB cards so I will be trialing that. The last Becker Maps (v5) were from 2009 so would be good to have 2013 maps working :rtm:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

If anyone is interested I've started a separate 993 journal of my exploits with that car over on the 911 forum:

911UK Forum
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Jonttt wrote:If anyone is interested I've started a separate 993 journal of my exploits with that car over on the 911 forum:

911UK Forum
Cracking read John.

I can see a long thread appearing on that site!

Good to see some people appreciating the M too!

The 'BEAST' 666
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Thanks, I don't think anyone can argue that the Z3m is not a gorgeous looking car :wink:

I know the Z3m so well that its weird getting to know a new "old" car again.

I'd really ran out of things to do to the ///M and will just enjoy driving it this summer, the 993 will keep my busy though :rtm:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Awoke the beast today for its MOT tomorrow.....

It has not been touched for over 6 months. All I did to prep it for hibernation was fill the tank, take it for a good run to make sure no moisture in the system, parked it up and over inflated the tyres, disconnected the battery completely.

I reconnected the battery, reset tyre pressure correctly and it fired up on the first turn. 3 seconds of slight hesitation and it then set the car alarm off on the car next to it and I had not even touched the accelerator :twisted:

I drove it striaght out of its underground storage and can honestly say it ran as sweet as the day I parked it up. No flat spots on the tyres, no rough throttle, just smooth power. The brakes complained for a couple of stops and then all was sweet.

I have read all sorts of scare stories about not disconnecting the battery etc etc but. They seem just that, scare stories :wink:

So it's getting treated to a service tomorrow and fresh coolant and brake fluid before the MOT.
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Jonttt wrote:Awoke the beast today for its MOT tomorrow.....

It has not been touched for over 6 months. All I did to prep it for hibernation was fill the tank, take it for a good run to make sure no moisture in the system, parked it up and over inflated the tyres, disconnected the battery completely.

I reconnected the battery, reset tyre pressure correctly and it fired up on the first turn. 3 seconds of slight hesitation and it then set the car alarm off on the car next to it and I had not even touched the accelerator :twisted:

I drove it striaght out of its underground storage and can honestly say it ran as sweet as the day I parked it up. No flat spots on the tyres, no rough throttle, just smooth power. The brakes complained for a couple of stops and then all was sweet.

I have read all sorts of scare stories about not disconnecting the battery etc etc but. They seem just that, scare stories :wink:

So it's getting treated to a service tomorrow and fresh coolant and brake fluid before the MOT.
excellent jon, mine was mot'd mon, no issues at all!

The 'BEAST' 666
Baker07

blank

Post by Baker07 »

Saw your car this morning in Crosby on my way to work I have to say it looked fantastic. I was in the showroom window at work and then saw it go past in the afternoon it sits very well on the road.

We're did you have your mot and service done.

I bought myself a z3m roadster yesterday wow what a car.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Lol it's not looking its best as its covered in a layer of 6 months dust after getting it out of storage yesterday.

I use the place on the Indy on the dock road but to be honest not comfortable recommending them. I used to use the Indy in Warrington who is brilliant but its a bit far for me know to drop off and pick up. There is another Indy in Liverpool (aintree I think) that I think I will try next year.

Was great to get back behind the wheel again, you forget how powerful these cars feel, it's was poised in the rush hour traffic and I felt like I was holding it back constantly.

It's on schnitzer suspension which does sit very well but not recommended for a daily driver especially on the dock road lol

Would be good to see a Z3m out and about in crosby, I see the odd Z3 but never an M

Did you get johnwaynes Z3m ? As you can see I ended up succumbing to the 911 urge but went for a 993 in the end as I still find them the best looking porsche ever. Have you kept your 911, if so we are a pretty exclusive club of 2 :D

Ps you need to get a new thread started with pics :wink:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I forgot to confirm the car passed its MOT with flying colours yesturday.

Picked up SWMBO new 4x4 this morning so until her "old" 1 series (3 years old with 6k on the clock :roll: ) gets picked up next Wednesday we have 5 cars between the 2 of us. Choices choices......
Baker07

blank

Post by Baker07 »

No didn't buy johnwaynes car.

I bought a cosmos black with classic red hood from a guy who emailed me on the forum. Nice car has a lot of history and stamps just needs to paintwork.

Will post some pics yes I still have the gt2 will never sell it.

What's the name of the Indy in aintree.

Hope your enjoying the 993.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Defo need pics if it's new to the forum. I can't remember the indys name but if you Google I think there are only 2 in Liverpool. There might be one in Southport if your that way. It will be 12 months now before I need to look.
Baker07

blank

Post by Baker07 »

I need to resize my pics there to big will upload some.

I am in southport are you in Crosby area and are there any local meeting.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Yep I'm in Crosby.

No local meets. Closest is tatton park later in the year. There is Newby hall bank holiday weekend which is a decent run and usually good turnout. There is a thread about it. I'm not sure if I can make that or may go to the porsche club event on the Monday.

I'm hoping to make it to porsche on the prom at Llandudno this sunday though.

Make sure you try to make it to the classic weekend at Silverstone later in the year. Main day for the zed's is Saturday with porsche being the Sunday. Both are getting on the circuit and a cracking weekend.
Baker07

blank

Post by Baker07 »

Are you at Llandudno tomorrow for Porsche at the prom.
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

Hi Jontttttt.... This has arrived in Wigan

Not used them myself but just been looking at a couple of threads on forums discussing them, seem very positive, great location for dropping car off and jumping on train back home or work if you don't want to hang around in Wigan.
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Baker07 wrote:Are you at Llandudno tomorrow for Porsche at the prom.
Yep just stopped off for a coffee on the way over.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

snoops wrote:Hi Jontttttt.... This has arrived in Wigan

Not used them myself but just been looking at a couple of threads on forums discussing them, seem very positive, great location for dropping car off and jumping on train back home or work if you don't want to hang around in Wigan.
Snoops thanks for the link I will bear them in mind for next year. It's a long time since I visited wigan though, I did my accountancy exams there many many moons ago.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

One thing that the Porsche could not complete with the Z3m on was exhaust note. The Eisenmann Race setup on the roady always brings a big smile to my face and still sets off car alarms on startup :twisted:

It was therefore compullsary for me to rectify this problem and so I've had RSR mufflers fitted to the 993. These are basically OEM mufflers with the sound deadening qualities removed. To complement the beefier exhaust note I was also compelled to fit OEM "Big Oval" tailpipes at nearly a monkey for 2 pieces of metal is a lot of Porsche tax :roll:

These can't compete with the Eisenmanns for volume but they do really bring out the unique sound of a Porsche air cooled engine 8-)

I'll get an equivalent done for the Z3m and post up next week (I'm off to Portugal to get some sun as I'm fed up with our summer already :head: )

yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

Don't get me wrong, I love the 911 - but I'm more interested in seeing these wheels fitted... come onnnn
Jonttt wrote: Image
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Lol I know I need to pull my finger out but I have the following problems:-

- every time I walk past the z3 with the type II race on I fall in love with them again
- lack of playtime with the Z3 due to new toy and holiday season
Bi11

M roadster S54

Post by Bi11 »

Love the growl and then the pop :D
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

The Z3m has been a bit neglected this summer due to excessive tinkering with the new toy....... its only really been driven to the MOT / service and back :oops:

So with the forecast good weather this week and Silverstone to prepare for (ie make sure the car is running OK) its out of storage. I've just been for a quick blast and its purring like a car :D

The only issue I had is after driving the offset peddles of the 993 I keep hitting the brake pedal instead of accelerator :head: :D

It was also weird driving around in a car with a thick layer of dust on it :shock: so hopefully will be seeing some water tonight :squeeze:
yalden

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by yalden »

I'll be honest, I'm disappointed!

I want to see your car on the new Schnitzers!! Also, didn't you buy a set of Rondell's?

Come on... don't neglect the S54 :(
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

You can always try the new wheels on mine?

:D
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Treated the Z3m to a full air con service and regass today.

Timed it well and just nipped into Kwik Fit as I was passing and they fitted me in straight away. Drain, pressure test and regass/oil and job was done in 40 minutes for £49 (no charge if fails pressure test ;-)

The air con was working enough for me to know there was no fault but it was not ice cold. It is now :D

Its that hot at the moment that it was nice to be sat in the car roof down and not be sweating my bo||ocks off :twisted:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Proof that the Z3 is now clean again :D

Parked up with a nice clean 993. Pity my daily behind them is not so clean but having 4 cars to keep clean takes some doing :oops:

Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Lucky boy with all that parking space :wink: re: aircon, found out mine needed re-gassing yesterday :head: I was not so comfortable in the sun but I am not complaining :)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Fitted a new badge today :twisted:

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I got some warning lights up over the last week.

Initially it was ABS/traction control/tyre deflation so suspected speed sensor. Before I had chance to check this I also got an engine management light.

As its silverstone this week and I was 5 min from the local BMW Indy it was easier to just run the car over to him to sort out.

Diagnostic confirmed rear drivers speed sensor and exhaust cam sensor faults.

Nothing to drastic as these are both pretty common age related faults.

I've been quoted £250 to replace both and although would not stop me driving the car it was much easier to just leave it with him and pick it back up on Thursday.

I think the exhaust cam sensor is a bit more labour than he realises but easier than the intake side which is supposed to be a right PITA to get at. Lets see what the final bill is.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Lack of use that is JT ... :wink:
Hope it gets sorted before Saturday!!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

I know :twisted:

I'm happy if the car just throws up the odd age related thing now and again :D

It does make you wonder though. The car is stored in just about the perfect place ie underground (no UV) & ventilated (not damp at all) car parking space. But these parts could suffer from lack of use. The speed sensor has been playing up since the car came out of storage ie x3 warning lights on/off randomly until eventually on permanently. I was not too concerned as I new from which lights were on and the fact the brakes work fine that it was a speed sensor and thus it was like driving an S50 with no traction control :lol:

Sods law that the engine management light then came on but silver lining is at least I can get the two jobs done at the same time :roll:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

I'm sure yours aren't major problems ;)

It is known that cars sitting doesn't do them much good. Tend to have more problems/niggles than daily used examples.

I'm the same.. mine needed two front brake hoses and the brake pads freeing for its Mot. My mechanic told me the problem was lack of use! :lol:

That's the trouble with these cars.. Most are weekend toys :wink:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

To make matters worse the porsche is in having some warranty work done so I have no toys to play with :bawl:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Jonttt wrote:To make matters worse the porsche is in having some warranty work done so I have no toys to play with :bawl:
Buy another toy then :lol:
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Got the car back today now fully healthy :D

It's received a new drivers side rear speed sensor and exhaust cam sensor.

All set for silverstone 8-)
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Fantastic weekend at the Silverstone Classic.

Great location and hospitality from BMW and BMWCC who I think have established this as the must make weekend of the year.

If you did not get there this year make sure you keep the weekend free for next year.

Great to catch up with people again and the weather was ........ hot hot hot. Even the heavy thunderstorms and cancelled parade lap could not dampen the weekend.

and who says you can't drive an ///M in the wet. Cars pulling over all along the M1 with hazards flashing and the ///M never missed a beat even when it was more like a boat at times with the wake from the front wheels almost up to window level :shock: There where parts of the M6 I had to myself to play on 8-) so ended up being a great drive back.

Looking forward to nexts year already :D
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Good to see you John.

Great day.

Mark

The 'BEAST' 666
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

It was fun following Badman Mark back in the rain, I felt all four wheels floating on water at one stage, I think barb closed her eyes lol

Sent from Boysie via tapatalk
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Well I've not really used the Z3m much this year, by far its biggest run being to the Silverstone Classic weekend.

So before I go away for my winter hols and seeing as it was so nice today I decided to give it one last run and clean before being tucked up for winter :D

and I only set off 2 car alarms parking it up :twisted:

......another summer goes by 8-)
pacey

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by pacey »

amazing z3m :)

is this original z3 cover or?