*Wanted fine specimen Z3*

Whether you are having a garage clear-out, looking for a second-hand accessory, or buying/selling a Z, post your 'for sale' and 'wanted' ads here.
This Forum is not meant for discussion, please do not comment on the asking price.
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

*Wanted fine specimen Z3*

Post by Fozzfox72 »

*Wanted*
Z3 roadster!

When I started my search for a Z3 I thought it would be easy to find decent examples! For my budget I have to be willing to travel, and I have covered over 400 miles so far.

Anyone know of a fine specimen for under. £3000? Blue with cream/tan leather manual in good condition ?

Last one I viewed had a portable fish tank in the boot lol
One before that had a modified exhaust system and on the test drive I thought I was being chased by a group of bikers!

Please get in touch if you can help

Thanks
Eastsix

Not specified

Re: *Wanted fine specimen Z3*

Post by Eastsix »

Which engine are you looking for? Facelift or pre-facelift?
2.8 sadly departed, currently between zeds.....
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Hi Eastsix
Preferably not the 2.8, I'm unsure really as at the moment I am going by the reviews?!

Regarding the face lift I'm guessing this is the later models, but with my budget, preferably face lift?

I have test driven 1.9 so far (x3) all very different in driving performance and handling but all 97/98 model.

It's like opening a can if worms lol

Thanks for your reply
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Fozzfox72 wrote:Hi Eastsix
Preferably not the 2.8, I'm unsure really as at the moment I am going by the reviews?!

Regarding the face lift I'm guessing this is the later models, but with my budget, preferably face lift?

I have test driven 1.9 so far (x3) all very different in driving performance and handling but all 97/98 model.

Thanks for your reply

You should definitely try some 6 cyl cars - whether 2.2, 2.8 or 3.0. What have you read about the 2.8 to say preferably not that??!
Have a look at the rear end of newer and older cars - its a matter of taste but I prefer the pre facelift widebody cars. You don't want to buy one then realise you prefer a different model, so do your research. there are different interior styles, some have roll hoops and some dont so its advisable to get a good idea of what you want before you spend too much time travelling for test drives.
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

Fozzfox72 wrote: One before that had a modified exhaust system and on the test drive I thought I was being chased by a group of bikers!
could probably sell that exhaust system and offset the price of a replacement standard system?
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Devon Z
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Devon Z »

Eastsix wrote:
Fozzfox72 wrote:Hi Eastsix

Thanks for your reply

You should definitely try some 6 cyl cars - whether 2.2, 2.8 or 3.0. What have you read about the 2.8 to say preferably not that??!.
Why do people always forget the the 2.0 :| it's got 6 cylinders.
99 2.0 Topaz Individual
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

There's a buyers guide in this month's Total BMW magazine might be worth a read.
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Thanks for all your valid input, I have researched some more and hope to be driving one real soon!

Thanks again :rtm: :P

In the mean time if you see something special please let me know!

Thanks
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

After months of looking, searching the Internet and crawling past every car dealer in South east London I finally found my Z3!
It's a Montreal blue, T reg 2.8 with black leather sports seats! So a little from my original spec, but simply stunning! And lovely wheels too, and a power hood.

I had to drive 120 miles and must say when I finally arrived I thought I would be leaving shortly disappointed again, but the dealer appears to have correctly described the car, which was great and a welcome surprise!

Only thing is it needs a drivers door wing mirror unit, totally knocked off! But I used that as a bargaining tool and we struck a deal, again I was happy with it and I guess he thought I had driven a long way!

Due to distance and it needing a new mot and tax I collect next week, and I can't wait ( last ime I got this excited about something was when I passed my driving test!)

Pictures to follow and thanks for help and input guys! :)
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Will it pass the MOT without a drivers side door mirror fitted :?:
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
Fender2004

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fender2004 »

stupot50 wrote:Will it pass the MOT without a drivers side door mirror fitted :?:
No you must have a driver side mirror for MOT but not the passenger side.
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Fender2004 wrote:
stupot50 wrote:Will it pass the MOT without a drivers side door mirror fitted :?:
No you must have a driver side mirror for MOT but not the passenger side.
That's what I thought.
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Wing mirror units are surprisingly expensive, so I hope you got a REALLY good deal.
get pics up asap!
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Good point about MOT! Worrying now! The guy from garage called back sat (the next day) and said it went straight through the MOT WITH NO ADVISERIES? I thought great! He did have the old broken mirror? Gosh you just don't know with people and now I'm doubting his honesty? He did say when I left he would take it straight to the MOT GARAGE and get booked in?

And yes I think I got a good deal I got the price reduced by £500 ! And so far a BMW NEW door mirror unit is £169 + paint, might be lucky and find a scrapped unit?

I will call him tomorrow and hear him out?

Dont wanna get ripped off or buy someone's problem either but it does look and sound great BUT IM NOT A MECHANIC so I guess I have to trust what the dealer is telling me, that's why I drove over 100 miles instead of local sellers, but I guess I called that wrong too!

I will let you guys know the response

:?
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

You can check the MOT history with the vehicle registration and a MOT test number. You'll see all advisories, fails and passes up to that date of that particular MOT certificate being issued. I'd give him a ring and ask for the current MOT test number if you've got doubts.

http://motinfo.direct.gov.uk/internet/j ... equest.jsp
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Spoke to garage today and the guys bolted another wing mirror to the door temporarily for MOT. It had one till July anyway but they were putting new one on as company policy. They are looking for a door mirror now for me too and couldn't do enough while I was on phone!? Although I will have to pay for it if they find one! :?

So bit happier