1.9 performance tips

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

1.9 performance tips

Post by Beaker »

I've got a 1.9 96/97 zed, it's really a bit slow, anything I can do about it?

I was looking at a chip, anyone tried these?
http://www.tuningwizard.co.uk/index.php ... cts_id=993
ShayneJ

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: 1.9 performance tips

Post by ShayneJ »

£65 for a box with a variable resistor in it to fool the ecu into thinking its cold to pump more fuel a la choke +40 BHP
yep an i have some magic beans for sale only £30 each with free tomato sauce :D
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Don't waste your money.. 40bhp increase from a chip on a 1.9 is pure bull...

You could go for a real mapping session to get a better throttle response but you will never get big HP gains..

Other options would be to go for a cone air filter and free flow exhaust to free her up abit otherwise sell up and go for a bigger engine Zed.. Bit harsh but in all honesty it's your best option if you want more grunt.
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Just put the hood down and forget about it unless your a budding Stirling Moss :wink:

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Get a new set of “high power” plugs, nice new free-flowing air filter and replace the mass of old vacuum pipework on the M44 engine – it’ll fly afterwards. :lol:
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

Ill take some magic beans thanks :-)

Cheers folks, part of me would like to change to a bigger engine zed but I've had my car since 14000 miles and it's really reliable. Better the devil you know, ive changed car in the past and ended up worse off. I also don't have the money to change car at the moment so I'm stuck with my 1.9.

I think all other changes are minimal but together might be just enough to keep me happy.

Can you folks link some sound products I can look out for??
Much appreciated
RichP

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by RichP »

I've long accepted I won't be winning many drag races in my 1.9, I'd like more power, but like you I've had mine a few years now. I know it, and I'm rather attached to it. Any new one would feel unpredictable in terms of what might go wrong. Sometimes I'm grateful the lack of power keeps me out of serious trouble! :drive That and the magic button "asc". (Which I call the suicide button, or the "crash now" button). Other than the supercharger, any changes seem so marginal to me that its not worth the expense (or invalidating the insurance) for. Keep telling myself someday ill get a 2.8 or 3.0 though :D

Having said that I'm as tempted as anyone by a little more power. I had an exhaust (no remap) and saw no difference, it just seemed somehow more laboured as it was making so much more noise. But perhaps the remap was needed to make the gains?

Maybe you could consider improving the handling instead? . I've heard a couple of people here saying new shocks make a huge difference. And a strut brace.

That's my midnight meandering thought on the matter anyway. Perhaps I need some sleep :shock:
Image Image
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
geordie90

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by geordie90 »

hi
Ive lowered the suspension, def benefits
K and N induction kit, sounds good and feels better throttle response
Cobra s/s exhaust, sounds good and seems like breathing a bit better
New plugs
strutbrace, improves handling immensely
Have to say the throttle response is far better and it gets to were i want it to be quicker, sounds nicer and handles better, im saving for an Z3M as I think this is my ultimate destiny lol

C
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Happy with the way mine runs – I think it’s quite nippy. It starts with a flick of the key and revs smoothly and freely. It offers a good burst of acceleration when overtaking etc. A similar age Golf GTI is putting out about 125 BHP.

Things I’ve done:-

1.New DISA valve – original was very noisy when I acquired the car.

2.All new vacuum pipework. MAF bellows through to the “tree” of pipework feeding each injector (M44 engine). I found that the splits were difficult to see and occur where the rubber pipes bulge slightly where they push over the receiving pipes on each injector. Typically I found these split on the underside and are quite hard to notice – two of mine had split and one was only noticeable with the pipework removed. These leaks result in extra unmetered air, a slightly weak fuel mix and thus a loss of power.

3.New set of Bosch plugs (4 electrode type). Bosch say: - “If your car has 50-75,000 miles or more on the clock, it almost certainly has some internal wear, with attendant loss of some engine compression and increased oil consumption. An engine with this kind of mileage is almost sure to develop deposits on pistons, valves and, therefore, on the spark plugs as well. As such, upgrading to a multiple electrode spark plug will provide extra ground electrodes so the spark can take the most efficient path to provide optimal spark. These plugs utilize 'surface air gap' technology for superior spark efficiency, and are permanently pre-set at the factory for correct gap. And the multiple electrodes are less likely to foul.”

4.New camshaft position sensor. As I was chasing a mysterious misfire I changed my camshaft position sensor. I wouldn’t advocate this as some form of routine servicing but in my case – even though I wasn’t getting a specific diagnostic error code, it made an immediate and noticeable improvement.

5.Cleaned throttle body.

6.New, standard air filter.

7.New fuel filter.

8.Quick succession of engine oil changes to clear a sticky valve lifter issue.

9.New thermostat – was running too cold.

10.Super unleaded petrol seems to give me a slight performance improvement and definitely better economy.

Both me and others noticed a definite improvement after 2, 4, 5 & 8 above. Obviously, six cylinder engines are better – I’d be daft not to acknowledge that, but it’s best to make the most of your engine and have it running at optimum performance. Hope this helps. :lol:
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

you could do the air box mod on the 1.9 . :D
I just happen to have a 1.9 full air box you could do the mod on and save your original one ......
Gonorr

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Gonorr »

I did the Fogged airbox thing on my old M43 19, personally, I think it made a difference. Its on the cards for the this one too. Hopefully, now the longer days are here, I will get around to it.
kamagloire

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kamagloire »

Cold air intake and better exhaust - much better throttle response and more a joy to drive.
Nothing else is worth the money on a 1.9 and with the amount of cops on the roads I use, 1.9 has now become my engine choice.
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Del wrote:
10.Super unleaded petrol seems to give me a slight performance improvement and definitely better economy.
I would second this, makes a definite improvement to MPG and engine runs far better.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

Cheers folks.

I've looked at the air filter box mod and might start there.

Thanks everyone
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

I had my 2.0 remapped and it gained a few BHP but it was the toque that was much more noticeable ! It's got a fair bit more pull now than before and I think it was worth shackles !
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

ITG air filter
cold air feed
Viscous fan removal (replace with electric)
100 cell hi-flow cat
Big bore throttle body
Spare wheel removal (replace with BMW mobility kit)
Stainless exhaust (saves more weight)
Lightened flywheel
re-map to smooth out and increase torque curve
Still modifying
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Seems like the overall gain is the sum of lots of small improvements unless you want to spend a fortune on major engine modifications which would probably cost more than simply trading-in the car for a bigger engine model.

I like inexpensive “quick wins” that don’t cause insurance problems and I have very much been a cynic of the claims made by K&N panel filters – believing that you may as well flush £35 down the toilet. However, wherever you look you see views, that you can’t simply just ignore or dismiss, from owners of various cars saying that they achieved a slight improvement from a K&N panel filter. The K&N advertising is also very seductive and if they have been fooling customers, they have successfully been doing so since the 1960s. I also came across the attached on Youtube. I might experiment with one this year when I change my filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJW29eDZXzg

I’ve also read, from fairly sensible technical sources, that induction kits work best if: 1) fed by cold air and 2) on bigger, “torque-ier” engines. On smaller engines developing their torque at high revs then a panel filter is just as good.
ShayneJ

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by ShayneJ »

DC wrote:
Del wrote:
I would second this, makes a definite improvement to MPG and engine runs far better.
Dave.
Does the improvement outweigh the extra cost of SUL ?
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

ShayneJ wrote:
DC wrote:
Del wrote:
Dave.
Does the improvement outweigh the extra cost of SUL ?

On a purely cost basis it's debatable and maybe not but I find personally on a driving pleasure basis the engine runs sweeter, the gear changes are much smoother and the car pulls better in a higher gear plus a few MPG better.
The only way is to try it and see if it's worth it.
Dave.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

What's the deal with exhausts from a legal stance?
I've got a custom stainless steel back section but manifold and cat are standard.

What can I replace at the front to make my zed breathe a bit better. The guy at the custom shop said I could replace the lot with stainless steel and he'd cut the cat back in (if that makes sense) but I want it to be legal and no sound like a tractor!

Man the supercharge option looks like a lot of fun, pity the guy who did that has now sold his car (from what I read).
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

The new MOT tester instruction rules that came out from 20/3/2013 say: - “On petrol engine vehicles that qualify for a full catalyst test, check the presence of the catalytic converter.” So you have to keep a cat if your car was built with one originally. Switching to a sports cat will add a couple more BHP and cost approx. £200 - £300. You might get similar gains with an induction air filter (£150?) fed with cold air and an ECU remap (£400?). All these things will each give you small a improvement.

You are supposed to declare them to your car insurance company :(
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

Yeah I think I'll just need to settle on the power I have as I can't afford to change car.

Think I'll turn my attention to exterior styling, a set of angel eye headlights and m mirrors would also be sweet.
I may, as was suggested earlier on this thread, tinker with the handling as well.

Need a wee project :-)
Gonorr

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Gonorr »

Fogged airbox? Its on my list of things to do this weekend if I can get away from work early enough and avoid getting stitched up with house hold DIY tasks, :lol:
Mike_1986

blank

Post by Mike_1986 »

Have found a lot of this info usefull.
also driving the 1.9 model i can totaly relate to a lot of the comments.
so far i have have put on a powerflow backbox ( ok i know its adds only about 1 bhp but i like the deepers sound.lol) also plan to upgrade the airfilter and spark plugs in near future.

Did look into the De-cat option but a lot of people say only works if get it remapped.
Beaker

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Beaker »

I put in new plugs at the weekend, switched to super unleaded and bought the bits and bobs to Fogg the airbox.

Feels a wee bit better already.
Mike Fishwick

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Mike Fishwick »

Have a good cylinder head job done, add a pair of Kent 312R camshafts, and have a remap - it will look standard, add about 25 bhp with better fuel consumption and torque. Ok - it will also cost about £1000, but more power=money!
A Z3 is not just for Christmas - it's for life!
sobe_on

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sobe_on »

Z3cade wrote:Don't waste your money.. 40bhp increase from a chip on a 1.9 is pure bull...

You could go for a real mapping session to get a better throttle response but you will never get big HP gains..

Other options would be to go for a cone air filter and free flow exhaust to free her up abit otherwise sell up and go for a bigger engine Zed.. Bit harsh but in all honesty it's your best option if you want more grunt.
I'm agree with you dude! it is impossible to get 40bhp on 1.9 from a chip only
but it is a bit improving for HP after the dyno test if done the real mapping with ECU chip, of course we should do the basic modify
(pulley, coil ignition system, bigger throttle, header (manifold), full kit of exhaust & exhaust control valve ECV flange)

Yes, The budget will be much higher for change into 2.8 engine, so I'm not recommend to do if not a super lover
BMW Aero Side Skirt/rear spoiler & chrome roll bar/ handle
AC schnitzer front/rear bumper splitter,Exhaust,type2 17"
BC coilover/H&R swaybar/wiecher's strut