New Owner, at last!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

New Owner, at last!

Post by Fozzfox72 »

After months and miles i am now the proud owner of a beautiful Z3.

T99/2.8/Montreal blue, pictures to follow. Love the drive just covered 110 miles back from garage. Pulls like a train :)

Couple of things i need your help with please guys:

I need a key (only came with 1) seen loads on ebay which are blanks, is it as straight forward as that? i doubt? any suggestions as to how.where to purchase?
Anyone know where I can purchase a wing mirror unit? have seen on BMW but they are £169/£179 new!

Thanks guys
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: New Owner, at last!

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Welcome to Zed ownership!!

To answer your questions, the key has a transponder chip built in, so you're looking at a dealer for the new key.

For the mirror, I'd try a breakers, eg:
http://www.quarrymotors.co.uk/
http://www.fabdirect.com/
paul.s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paul.s »

keep an eye out on ebay for a mirror I got a mint one for £19.00 and a lot of cobblers who do key cutting can do you a copy key but like said you may have to go to bmw to have it programed
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

As I understand it, although cobblers can duplicate a lot of transponder keys, they can't do BMW ones. It's not a case of getting a key and then programming it to the car, the key has to have been produced for the car. I've not yet seen a forum thread where anyone has successfully overcome the need to buy a key from the dealer.

The only alternative (and this is an alternative rather than a recommendation!) is that you can remove the transponder chip from the key you have and attach it to the steering column next to the ignition key slot. This will mean that the immobiliser is permanently deactivated and that you can just get a blank key cut to turn the ignition. However, I suspect your insurance company may take a dim view of that.
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

The cheaper alternative is to buy a grey service key from the dealer without the remote control in it for about 50 quid. Quite a few threads on here about thid now.

I would certainly not advocate removing the chip from the key you have. The chip actually provides more security than the physical key these days and having it permanently in contact with the car is likely to make the later alarm useless as it can be reset with the key!

Edit: Some more info on the service key here: http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=32173

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
jessicafay28

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jessicafay28 »

Welcome! Im new to zeds too. And I also need a key so im glad you started this post. Enjoy it
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Thanks for all your replies.
I certainly don't want to compromise the security and dismantle the only key! So I guess I better contact BMW and get ready for the price shock!!

I have contacted the websites for the mirror spares but again no luck (like hens teeth) so again back to BMW I'm afraid.

Any suggestions please?

And thanks for making me welcome

Best

FF
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Try Shaun Alexander at Alexanders of Somerset - 01934 822699. One of the forum members, Southernboy, recommends him very highly.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

There are a few Z3 being broken on ebay too - search for 'Z3 breaking' and see what comes up.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Hey Blades...that's my line... :D
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Southernboy wrote:Hey Blades...that's my line... :D
I'm sure you'll still get the 'recognition'!! :lol:
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

I have called around and emailed some more breakers but they just don't have any door mirror units ( just to be clear not just the glass the whole unit)

Will keep trying but am edging closer to the main dealer gulp!

Really gagging to get in the car was so pleased with the performance and the sound is great too!

Any tips please post on

Thanks in advance
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Although it's a bit of a pain, there's no legal requirement to have a door mirror. Can you not wait until one comes up, rather than spend your cash with a dealer?
Which mirror is it that's missing?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Forgot to say welcome to the forum! :oops:

If the mirror is broken, rather than missing, there is the possibility of replacing the metalwork inside it with a cheaper reproduction plastic part. Of course this doesn't help if you don't have a casing to put round it!

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Guys it's the drivers door side, and it is totally missing I don't just mean glass the whole wing mirror unit! It's kind of too dangerous to drive IMHO with the likes of bikes etc zipping around town so I really need one to drive, safely at least!

Called my local BMW RUXLEY today and quoted £179.15 inc vat + 20 for paint!
I did get a good deal on car, I think so not too bad I guess. Just can't believe they are so hard to find !?

In the mean time keep them suggestions rolling and thank you for your input!

FF
XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by XVar »

They're hard to find because they're almost guaranteed to have corroded and fell apart by the time they're 10 years old meaning there's a high demand for them. Somewhat of a design flaw in the Z3, not sure what it is about the alloy the sprung posts inside the door mirrors are made from but it doesn't react well to weather over the years.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread