Terrible BMW CUSTOMER service, yet again!

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Terrible BMW CUSTOMER service, yet again!

Post by Fozzfox72 »

I did not know where to post this but feel it needs airing!

I have owned 3 BMW's and at some point need to return to base for servicing or parts.
Apart from the cocky condescending sales people, the elitist showrooms, and pricey servicing, the cars are great!

However today I experienced another low in customer service, I searched online for a door mirror housing, found one new from BMW (should I name and shame?) it was advertised on eBay, buy it now price £169 so called them up to buy then, only to be told it is £335 huh! How come ? Why advertise at a different price? I'm then told that's the painted price, but not fitted? Thanks goodbye!

Called another BMW (stephen james, ruxley) and put through to parts 4 times, then on to recorded message, finally after 30 mins I get through to a very helpful person, and the price £179.15 + £25 for paint, next day delivery. Easy!

All in all BMW customer services is very poor and IMHO always leaves me cursing and reminding that I should go elsewhere!

If only there was an elsewhere?
Mad Max

blank

Re: Terrible BMW CUSTOMER service, yet again!

Post by Mad Max »

My local BMW are brilliant, BlueBell in Crewe. The entire place is staffed by enthusiasts, everyone is falling over themselves to help you... I popped in the other day and the first thing the service guy did was demand my keys off me, five minutes later he returned them to me after having the car cleaned. I only went in to pick up a throttle cable!

If anyone needs parts then give them a call, speak to Carl and say "Max with the M Coupe" sent you. They are more than happy to post stuff out too.

In fact I'll go so far as to tell the story that they told me after my car had been washed. The dealership opened in 1990 and one of the first cars they sold was a green with cream interior e34 535i. The gentleman that purchased it took it back to the dealership for everything it ever needed. Unfortunately he recently passed away, but his connection with the dealership was so strong he actually left the car (which has only covered about 30-40k) to the dealership. Their plan is to change a few little bits on it and enter it at Gaydon in his memory.

Nice little story :)
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Nice story!
Only wish I could have a pleasant experience at the dealership, still until then speak as you find!
Mad Max

blank

Post by Mad Max »

It's a great dealership, they've helped me out more times than I can recall. They once got me an e36 M3 wishbone by 8.30am the next day when I asked them at about 3pm. I needed it quickly and they did everything they could to help.

They did tell me another story on Saturday actually, it was about a gorgeous e46 M3, Cosmos black with an Imola interior... you wouldn't have wanted it though. The Audi dealership down the road had taken it in as part exchange (why?!?), so the salesman had taken it around the block and had a "watch this!" moment - the downside of that is that he parked it in the bush right outside Bluebell. He'd folded two wheels underneath the car... I saw the pics, you really couldn't script that sh*t! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I use two dealers and can't fault them. I bought my zed from Bateman in Grange-over-Sands and they used to store my hardtop for me. My Dad has been buying cars from them for well over 30 years.

I also use BlueBell in Altrincham, and Steve there knows his stuff. He is heading more towards being a indy now, but can still get BMW parts.

I did have a bit of a horror story with another dealer down South who charged me an awful lot to fit two new headlight bulbs, one of which they broke putting it in. Why did I take it to a dealer? Well both headlight bulbs went at the same time, so I assumed it was more than just bulbs and as I was on business at the time, I just wanted it fixed.

Not all dealers are the same. The good ones are worth sticking with.

Cheers R.

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Some dealers are good, some very bad, pot luck.

I certainly wouldn't let one clean my car!

:x

The 'BEAST' 666
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The dealers here are really good...If I order a part, I am guaranteed it the following day after 2pm if they don't have it in stock. Plus I get 20% discount on all parts inc electrical components....Although they do try to convince me it's time to buy a new model everytime I go to collect the parts...and fortunately, the closest dealer is only 3km away from home....so very handy too. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I've dealt with two local dealers for parts, both part of the same company (Sytner BMW). The guys in High Wycombe are really helpful and friendly, whereas in Maidenhead they are a bunch of condescending wan**rs. I still can't believe how two branches of the same company, not more than 10 miles apart can be so different.

And it's not because I'm only buying parts for a 15 year old car. A friend of mine went in there looking for a nearly-new 3 series coupe. They got such bad service that they complained to the sales manager. He basically said that he thought the salesman just couldn't be bothered. They bought a really nice 3 series from another dealer.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I've only had one bad experience with a main agent, I booked in for an Insp II, told them the Reg No. and was told £600. When I arrived they kept me waiting 20 minutes then said the price was £900, I said how come ?, we didn't realise it was an ///M model, I gave you the Reg No. I said, it's on your system, you would have known it was an ///M in order to give me the original quote. Anyway after much argument the Service Manager got involved and offered to meet me halfway, £750, no thanks I'll go to an Indy for £600, he appreciates my business.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

The dealers are to big now
Most are not even car based, just big investments companies
When dealers were in private hands, thats when you got real service
Too many targets now
I haven't been to a dealers for a longtime
My last experience, the arrogant bloke in the parts department were down right rude
i did report him to the head man, but got no reply?
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

i have said this once before on here
My brother went straight from work in his working clothes
tidy but not formal, he was a coach driver
He enquired about a £30k 3 series convertable, some years back
The salesmen said i think this is out of your price range sir :head:, I was surprised he didnt deck him

He went to another privately owned dealer and bought the car via them

He did have the pleasure in popping in one day to ask about something car related
the said salesmen was very sheepish when he saw him

He always reminds me when i see him

I forgot to add he paid cash
Ray

Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Part of the problem these days is that no-one seems to bother building relationships with their customers. I went to an open day thing with my Dad at Batemans the other weekend and spoke to the guy that originally sold me my Z3 - we were mainly looking at 1-series for my Dad, but it was no problem to take a new Z4 out, and as he knows us, he was quite happy for us to take it out on our own. Sadly their Service Manager has now moved on, but he knew my car and one time when mine was in for service, he loaned my my Dad's old 3-series which they had been keeping as a courtesy car. :lol:

I've never had any problem getting either to order parts for me, and never had anyone turn their nose up at me. Even get a free cup of coffee whenever I go in. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Robert

When i was changing my car every three years
I had no problem with them, they would fall over them selves
i was given some fantastic courtesy cars
I was always told by non BMW owners it was the most expensive coffee to drink
But as you said people move on, no more new cars from me
they had great sales staff and mechanics the good ones left
Their interest is not there anymore, with an old Zed albeit an ///M
Ray

Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

Update:
I received a text message from the dealer the NEXT MORNING to say my part is IN! Which I thought was great!!

In my humble experience with dealing with BMW main dealers you are only as good as the person you get, at the time of calling or put through too, some just cant b bothered others are superb.

Unfortunately my local one is a bit flakey, that's why there are lots of small garages that feed off the BAD experiences and boast BMW mechanics.

It's such a shame as, I think when you buy/own a BMW (which I dreamed of for years I might add, before I could afford one) I buy into the whole experience of owning the car, including being apart of the brand, which includes the dealers, who should have or certainly used to have mutual respect to you/us the driver or punter.

God how sentimental am I lol
ZedAintDead

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by ZedAintDead »

I've got to jump in here to "big up" my local BMW dealer, Dick Lovett in Hungerford.

I was in there on Saturday to pick up a pair of heater bulbs (yes I did this over the weekend and yes I have the scratches to prove it!). I got talking to the parts guy about the Zed, explained I'd only had her about a month or so and had already done a few little bits to sort her out (seat belt guides, boot leak, roof leak, replaced fog broken fog light and was going to spend some of my Saturday doing the heater bulbs).

The guy was genuinely interested and offered a free inspection on the car next time I was in, which happened to be today when I went to collect an oil filter, valve cover gasket etc.

They had the car in for an hour and a half and appear to have gone over her in fairly good detail, spotting a few issues I hadn't such as the rear fog light isn't working and there's a kink in the brake pipe, they even appear to have vaccuumed the carpet (wasn't dirty but still a nice touch).

To date everyone I've dealt with at Dick Lovett has been extremely professional, helpful and friendly, I know every dealer is different and it depends who you get but so far I'm a fan!
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

That's great news and fantastic service!

I visited my local dealer this week too and was greeted by a very competent and helpful young man, who appeared interested in my enquiry and very helpful, if only his colleagues would take note!!

Goes to show its the individuals that sometimes let the dealer down so badly.

:roll:
Batchem1

M roadster S50

Post by Batchem1 »

As a new BMW owner I'd say that, sadly, most of the negative comments above about main dealers would apply to any of the other brands I've owned recently. I'm not condoning poor/ignorant customer service - I can't abide it - but it seems symptomatic of so many so-called service businesses.
On the other hand, I have my recently acquired Z3M booked in tomorrow at Emtec in Salisbury - recommended elsewhere on this forum - for a service and checkover. The initial email enquiries have been particularly positive and I dropped in on Monday in my other car as I was passing through Salisbury. First impressions were of a knowledgeable guy, interested in my car and keen to do the right thing for me.
Will post more tomorrow on how things turned out!
OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I get to see from both sides as I have a company 320d estate car which is main dealer serviced, but if I need any BMW specific parts for my Z3 then I use the same dealer, just a different desk. :) So far the service for both has been good (Coopers of Reading) but the estate is due it's second service soon so will see how that goes. I will need to put some 'do not wash' signs on the car as last time I told them not to and they still did (badly since half the dirt was still on the car, plus they added swirls to the paintwork). I think I would have to be very desperate to risk leaving the Z3 with them though, so it's lucky that I can do pretty much any repair it is likely to need. If it needed the engine changing then I think I'd scrap it anyway...
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

People buy from people they like, regardless of the product or brand. :wink:

Regards

Peter
Fozzfox72

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Fozzfox72 »

So VERY true!

:wink:
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

OldskoolRS wrote:I get to see from both sides as I have a company 320d estate car which is main dealer serviced, but if I need any BMW specific parts for my Z3 then I use the same dealer, just a different desk. :) So far the service for both has been good (Coopers of Reading) but the estate is due it's second service soon so will see how that goes.
I had an E46 coupe back in 2000 and I have to say I did find Cooper BMW in Reading to be very good. I had the driver's window pack up (in the down position!) between Christmas and New Year when the car was only a few months old. I drove it to them and they just gave me another car to use until it was sorted.
Batchem1

M roadster S50

Post by Batchem1 »

OK, here's my feedback on Emtec of Salisbury now that I've been a paying customer.
When I dropped my car off, I felt there was a genuine interest in my car and in me as a customer.
When I came back to collect the car, everything that was due to be done had been done. Nothing was done that wasn't asked for or expected or advised - including taking in some suggestions from others here on this forum.
Perhaps best of all, the final bill was exactly what had been estimated - to the penny!
Some helpful advice was offered on handover about a couple of points that may require some future action - they weren't mysteriously added to my job sheet and bill.
In summary, I'd have no hesitation to recommend Emtec to anybody in the area (I travelled the 70 odd miles from Taunton based on earlier positive feedback on this forum).