Air Bag light

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Air Bag light

Post by mich »

I have had a new battery fitted to the Z and apart from the radio (which requires re setting) every thing worked as per normal now a couple of starts latter the air bag warning light is staying on, I presume this could be just a matter of resetting or at worst a biggish problem, would it be just a coincidence I.e. happening just after the battery change??
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Re: Air Bag light

Post by muppet »

Should just be a reset though may be the wiring under the passenger seat, get it looked at though as it is now(or very soon) an MOT failure. Note to self must get mine looked at :shock:
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
TerryO

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by TerryO »

My airbag light has been on since the last MOT in Feb 2012 and I was advised at the time to get it fixed before the next one as it would be a failure (rules change in 2013). The garage ran a diagnostic on the car and said my passenger occupancy sensor was at fault.
Eleven months on and I took back to the garage this month to finally get the airbag light fixed. It's approx £200 for a new seat mat sensor or £10 for a bypass module. I understand that the bypass module ensures the passenger airbag is energised regardless of a passenger being in the seat or not. That has to be better than no airbags at all!
My problem is, to fix the seat it needs to be removed from the car and at the moment neither of the seat motors are working. The garage have since managed to get the seat out by bypassing the back/forward motor and rotating the input shaft by hand as per the Pelican parts guide. Both motors appeared to be dead and the garage quoted £92 each to replace them £92. I decided to take the seat home this weekend whilst the snow was hitting the UK and hey presto, both motors had sticky carbon brushes! I've cleaned out both motors, put them back on the seat and they work fine now.
Hopefully the old Z3 will pass it's MOT tomorrow :-)
TerryO.
1998 Z3 1.9 (M44). Arctic Silver, red leather seats & door panels, manual roof, 18" Team Dynamics, 30mm lowered Pi suspension, generic twin outlet SS tail box.
BonBon

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BonBon »

Probably a coincidence.
If you're going to a garage - have them run the diagnostics.
Did you move any of the seats in a major way? - odds are it's one of the contacts under the seat. Move the seat forward open the contact, spray with contact cleaner and it should be ready to be reset by a tool (recently had my roof replaced and both seats needed the contacts cleaned to redo the contact - which lasts for years until it's disturbed)
Idiosyncrasies of the Z3s. :roll:
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

I can't find any thing so will have to take to the dealers, thanks guys
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Hi Mich, I had a new battery fitted to Zelda and that brought the airbag light on. Took it to an Indy to get it reset. Then later, when Mrs. Bonzo had her first trip she actually fell into the seat, not realising it was much lower than our other car. This set the airbag light on again. I bought a reset tool and did the necessary, but also raised the seat to its highest position to stop her falling into the seat again. All ok now for several months so it could be a connection was compromised.

Reset tool price = one trip to indy for them to do it!

Anyone near you with a reset tool, very quick to do.

Best of luck,

Cheers, Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
houdini2005

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by houdini2005 »

use one of these on mine, they work and it passed but you will need somebody to reset the light. 8-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Bypass-Ai ... 2574f61e9f
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

I think these will invalidate your insurance if fitted. Also airbag may not operate. just get the light reset and see if it stays off!

bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
houdini2005

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by houdini2005 »

the insurance should be ok, the way the seat occupancy works is that if the seat is not being used the passenger airbag doesn't deploy this is done a measured resistance. the device when fitted tells the on board system that the seat is occupied all of the time & would deploy all airbags in the event of an accident.
(5 min job to fit and the same to remove after) 8-)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

This of course assumes that you have a passenger airbag... mine doesn't. In the case of duff connectors under the seat, I'm not sure that there is anything to see, but the action of moving the seat can be enough to bring the light on. I had the upgraded harness fitted to mine, and touch wood, no problems since. Surely someone near you must have a reset tool or diagnostic software - I'd reset it and see if it comes back on.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

I just ordered this. I will see how it goes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160876088549? ... 1439.l2648
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

Bypass fitted easy to do and took all of 5 minutes, V1LAN in for an oil service on Tuesday and airbag light will hopefully reset then
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

I am too old to get down on my hands and knees and fluff about :bawl: booked in to dealers for an under car check and they can fix it at the same time
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

Light was turned off long enough to get a new MOT. Long term solution to come.